[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you guys feel about the people who take retro game roms,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 9

File: SNES-Parallel-Worlds-Box-Set.jpg (157KB, 873x339px) Image search: [Google]
SNES-Parallel-Worlds-Box-Set.jpg
157KB, 873x339px
How do you guys feel about the people who take retro game roms, put them on carts, and sell them? How about people who do the same for romhacks? I know they don't lie about thier product, but it just feels so immoral, and it can't be legal right?
>>
>>3022454
Why should what other people make and sell and buy affect you at all? Do you do these things? Does it ruin the legit games you have in some fashion?
>>
>>3022465
What kind of question is that? I see someone selling these things for $40 per at a booth and I'm not allowed to have feelings for this?
>>
Well they went through the trouble of burning the chip and soldering it to the cart and printing the box and labels, so that definitely takes effort.

But the key element here is the game itself. They didn't make the original game, nor did they hack the ROM. Selling something that someone built as a labor of love on top of a Nintendo game they love is double-immoral, and as far as Nintendo IP is concerned, probably illegal too.

ROM hackers distribute IPS patches for free - no original ROM data is passed around and no price is paid.

That's just my opinion though.
>>
It's legal if they hold the rights to everything.
>>
>>3022454
They are scum. I've seen such carts go for $70. It's fucking atrocious. Even using Nintendo's likeness,logo's and such. If the carts were $10 or something I would not care too much. I can easily patch the rom for free
>>
>>3022489
Adding to this, homebrew games are awesome and I'd gladly pay for them. Do those instead.
>>
>>3022492
Well considering they were selling carted fan translations of games like Mother 3 or Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland (which WAS translated and sold in US), it's easy to tell they dont. Plus, do the rights to a romhacks mean anything since it's still connected to the rights of the origional game?
>>
>>3022507
You can't sell fan translations and other derivative works without permission even if you hold the rights to the original game.
>>
>>3022486
It's kind of stupid to get upset about things that aren't affecting you, so unless you're the one purchasing or selling these repros then it's not exactly destroying the foundation of the glorious SNES collection you've amassed is it.
>>
>>3022454
>How do you guys feel about the people who take retro game roms, put them on carts, and sell them?

If they sell them for substantially less than what resellers are asking, then I'm all for it. The reseller market is utterly retarded and needs to be circumvented by whatever means necessary.

>How about people who do the same for romhacks?

Piracy is piracy. I produce ROM hacks and translations knowing full well someone might distribute them through reproductions without having the consideration to ask. It's kind of shitty, but I don't actually mind, provided the distributor isn't price gouging anyone.
>>
>>3022507
>which WAS translated and sold in US
It was translated to english, but it wasn't released in the US, only Europe.

Unless you're counting imports, then I guess it was sold in the US.
>>
>>3022573
3edgy5me
>>
I don't see a point. I just have a flashcart if I wanna play romhacks and shit. If I buy a cart I want the real deal, otherwise I'll use my flashcart.
>>
>>3022580
35 bucks is more than fair, especially if they're using new boards and shells, it basically means approximately 10 bucks profit per game assembled.

The people asking 50-60 is outrageous. But then again, they're on eBay so you can fuck them over.

Chinese repros are totally fucking hit and miss and can be dog shit quality. Repros made by Americans with new boards and shells are generally superior to the chinese made ones.

But in all honestly, you're almost always better just making your own. New shells are expensive, but you can buy big lots of sports games and harvest those shells because honestly, no one really gives a shit about Madden 95 and NCAA Basketball games. You can sometimes reuse the boards from junk games as well, meaning you save a bit.

Obviously theres startup costs and figuring shit out like getting a eprom writer and working out good labels, but if you're going to be doing more than 10 (which is pretty likely) its probably worth looking into.
>>
I don't mind people selling repros. But the people that sell repros on ebay are literal scum who attempt to charge 30-40 bucks for repros even though they're identical to the ones you get off alibabas for 5 bucks.
>>
>>3022454
>How do you guys feel about the people who take retro game roms, put them on carts, and sell them?

scum

Scum

> I know they don't lie about thier product, but it just feels so immoral, and it can't be legal right?

Not even a little
>>
>>3022454
If you buy a repro instead of just getting a fucking flash cart, you're retarded beyond help
>>
Selling romhacks is pretty silly if they aren't translations, but I'm okay with repros. I mean, even though a flashcart is a more smart move, outside 4chan who the hell will call you out and shout "HEY THIS ISN'T A ORIGINAL CART IT'S A REPRODUCTION YOU BROKE THE COLLECTOR'S GOLDEN RULE"?
>>
File: fbi.jpg (21KB, 635x487px) Image search: [Google]
fbi.jpg
21KB, 635x487px
>>3022736
>outside 4chan who the hell will call you out and shout "HEY THIS ISN'T A ORIGINAL CART IT'S A REPRODUCTION YOU BROKE THE COLLECTOR'S GOLDEN RULE"?

The FBI
>>
>>3022739
wait a minute, that badge...
computer, ZOOM
>>
I love the amount of people who just parrot what they hear Pat and Ian say on the podcast.

They're so against repros, yet Pat owns fucking repros. It wouldn't surprise me if Pat's Mr. Gimmick was absolutely made from a fucking Return of the Joker.
>>
>>3022704
>hey it's not worth getting ass blasted about bootleg toys
>LOL CHECK OUT THIS EDGE LORD
wow you're a retard.
>>
File: badge zoom.png (213KB, 815x542px) Image search: [Google]
badge zoom.png
213KB, 815x542px
>>3022752
>>
File: zoom.png (315KB, 1376x1020px) Image search: [Google]
zoom.png
315KB, 1376x1020px
>>3022775
>>
>>3022792
I FUCKING KNEW IT!
>>
>>3022465

This is pretty much the correct answer to OP's question. If you don't like it, don't buy it. That's the way the world works.
>>
>>3022715
The older I get and the more the costs of games skyrocket I feel like the only winning move is just not to play.

I like having a cart, flashcarts just never really felt nice to me. Obviously its the most economical solution for anything over 50 bucks I'd imagine.

It's not like I'd make them to sell them, just to make a physical cart for myself. Owning Hagane and even "cheaper" games like Chrono Trigger just feels like a pipe dream. I can drop 30 or so bucks for a game without much thought, but 100? I don't think so.
>>
To make a game with all new parts costs ~$23. It lowers a few bucks if you place larger order for the raw materials. You can save ~$10 is you use a madden or similar and butcher it up.

There's always going to be people that want a single cart for a single game. I sell a few rom hacks, translations, and unreleased. I do not condone sellers that release repros of NA released titles that are rare. I don't like people that also re-use other boards unless absolutely necessary due to the chips (like Starfox 2). It took 4 months until I made back my initial investment.

It's not too hard to do, the only advice I have for people buying is try to find sellers that use new stuff, best way to tell is look at the cases. They will have molded screws. And if you're buying a SuperFX game, buy one that used a proper adapter and not a bunch of wires, that shit will eventually mess up no matter how much hotglue they put in there.
>>
>>3023201
Details on what you used to get started?

I've been looking into it, but theres a lot of different stuff out there.

Are you making SNES? or NES?
>>
>>3022454
Its fine. It must be my autism, but I prefer the original hardware over emulation 10/10 times. If I can get Mother in english on a famicom cart, I'm ecstatic.
>>
>>3023225
I do SNES, NEW, Genesis. I do GBA stuff, but just for friends. It's not very cost effective and the parts can be a little hard to source. My little brother is a lot better at that kinda of stuff and he's been working on getting a board done.

Here's what I got when I first started:
GQ-4X + adapters or Top3100 programmer +adapters
Aoyue 469 variable power soldering station + tips and accessories

That's it. Once you get the boards and stuff it's pretty simple. If you google it there's plenty of tutorials. Just try to use new boards instead of already existing. Arcademaster1 has fantastic boards that are dead simple to use.
>>
>>3023283
Any reason besides "ethics" not to use old boards?

Seems like it could be cheaper to just get a shitload of sports games, that are compatible and using the shells instead of buying new shells.
>>
>>3023297
It's easier to do some of the more complex repros and multicarts with new boards, but no not really.
>>
File: my illusions are dissolved.jpg (19KB, 404x344px) Image search: [Google]
my illusions are dissolved.jpg
19KB, 404x344px
>>3022454
I'm the anon who bought the Clock Tower repro a week or so ago. Never again. I got called out, and everybody who called me out was right. Shit didn't work on my system, it would freeze and black out. I took that shit back. Glad I didn't get tempted and buy one of the Zelda mods that they also had.

I know this is completely beside the point of the actual moral question here, but whatever. Never again. Only now, in this late hour, do I understand.
>>
>>3023319
Where did you buy it from?

Chink shit is a total crapshoot, buying it from someone reputable who knows what they're doing is way more likely to be successful. My terranigma, and SD3 work fine, but I did get a worse quality SD3 that took over 50 attempts to boot up.
>>
>>3022454
>parallel worlds cart
gross, it's not even a good hack why would someone do this
>>
>>3022465
All these fake cartidges floating about damages our hobby. It also lowers trust from those looking to buy older games.
>>
>>3023329
Bought it from a local retro shop that I go to infrequently. Pretty sure it was made Stateside.
>>
>>3023341
No it doesn't.

Use your fookin noggin mate and bring a gamebit with you.
>>
Anyone got recommendations for flashcarts?

Looking at getting them for:
>NES
>SNES
>N64
>Genesis
>>
>>3023357
I don't know where you buy your games that a seller would allow you to open up the cart to check it.
It's a retarded idea too consider the light sensitive components.
>>
>>3022454
>immoral
Fuck off copyfag.
>>
>>3023364
If its worth over 40 bucks the guy better be letting me open the thing.
>>
>>3023364
>>3023413

Anyone that won't let you open it is hiding something. you use a special UV light at several minutes to erase it. Normal lights don't affect it. This is all besides that fact that the window should be covered by something, Ideally a foil sticker.
>>
Now my qualm wasn't really about people trying to see off flashcart like the real thing, but that is in of itself a most scummy thing to do.
>>
>>3023341
Nobody's talking about fake cartridges here. We're talking about reproductions sold as just that - reproductions. Getting your panties in a twist because someone put a rom hack or a game that wasn't released in a certain region on a cart is completely pointless.

And if we were talking about fraud, there's no discussion to be had - hey guys, do you think people get upset when they get scammed? Oh, you do? Thanks for the illuminating conversation.
>>
>>3023358
everdrives
>>
>>3023319

Good, at least you learned you lesson. If you really wanna play Clock Tower (and other translated ROMs) on a real SNES, then pick up a Super Everdrive China Version for $60 USD off of Aliexpress. I have one, it works fine.
>>
File: dan's happening.jpg (378KB, 1033x1461px) Image search: [Google]
dan's happening.jpg
378KB, 1033x1461px
>>3022454

Fucking bastards.

>>3022454

Good! At least if they vet the quality of those hacks.

Exception for the first one if they really like the game and make their own artful cart designs for it.
>>
>>3022580
>The reseller market is utterly retarded and needs to be circumvented by whatever means necessary.

How about with other, less sneaky ways?
>>
File: 220px-John_Carmack_E3_2006.jpg (10KB, 220x220px) Image search: [Google]
220px-John_Carmack_E3_2006.jpg
10KB, 220x220px
>>3022454
It's simple:
Original carts = good
Homebrew carts = good
Repro carts that are clearly labeled = good
ROM hack carts = only real moral gray area because of the IP. I think it gives old games more life, so good imho. I think this guy wiould agree.
Repro carts that are made to look like originals = bad. very very bad.
>>
>>3022465
>Does it ruin the legit games you have in some fashion?
Manipulating the prices for legitimate copies (either down by altering supply, or up by attaching a 'premium' to the real thing even when it isn't rare at all.)
>>
>>3022454
scum of scum, but the people that support these commercial pirates are worse; wouldn't be a market without them
>>
I honestly felt sort of a disgust when a friend of mine bought a "special" gold cartridge of >>3022454, box included, for like $80.
>>
>>3026147
why?
>>
>>3022454
>buying used games
>selling them at 10x their original value
>legal
>>
>>3026162
Well, I know that he valued it to that extent, but I suppose the difference in our perspectives made me feel he was wasting his money. I can understand if someone wanted to keep an old game in either a nostalgic or collector's way, but I didn't think this mod would be old enough to be sentimental to him, nor would a unofficial cartridge of a mod be precious enough to want for such a high price. Having the box to a game would add value to it, but this mod was supposed to be played through emulation and wasn't really intended to be carted, so it just feels so illegitimate. It would be like loving a series so much and then having a 3rd party artist commission you a piece of it. Not to mention I have negative feelings for flashcarts in general.
>>
File: 1455910868146.jpg (45KB, 625x626px) Image search: [Google]
1455910868146.jpg
45KB, 625x626px
>>3022454
>not retro.
>>
>>3026179
Mods of retro are still discussed here, are they not?
>>
>>3026184
play it on your superboy. and whatever toys the carpet baggers who are jumping on the retro bandwagon think will make them money.
Miyamoto actually cared and loved the shit he put his name on this is not his shit. This is somone who took someones elses creativity and work and altering it a tiny bit and making money. if it was free why not? but it's not. its actually kind of expensive. using a techmo super bowl shell ( 3 dollars) and putting bootleg data ( free) on it. and selling it for 40 dollars is Jewry at its most jewy. It's not original, not retro in my eyes, and just tacky as fuck. I have a gaming PC if I wanted to try goofy not official shit Id just emulate.
>>
>>3026175
>Not to mention I have negative feelings for flashcarts in general.

You've got issues.
>>
>>3026195
What, are you going to call me out on having qualms with people reproducing and selling the work of others?
>>
I don't like the idea of destroying cartridges of other games to accomplish the task.

Even sports games that no one wants have a right to exist.
>>
>>3026208

Flashcarts and repros are the same thing now?
>>
>>3022506
My sentiments exactly
>>
File: 1455666119484.gif (8KB, 96x96px) Image search: [Google]
1455666119484.gif
8KB, 96x96px
>>3026175
I guess I am of the opinion that these fan remakes are breathing new life into old games. I find more value in what the hackers do than what Nintendo does with it's 20 yo IP. Also these kinds of carts are honest in what they are. They aren't trying to deceive the buyer into thinking that it is a legitimate cart. If sellers do try to fake carts, that's where I draw the line.
>>
>>3026232
>these fan remakes are breathing new life into old games
I agree with you on that one. And I honestly do appreciate what the people do with the ROMs that add more gameplay and what not. It's just what bugs me is when people try and sell the original or ROMhack'ed games on carts they made. And no, I don't mean specifically when they physically make their own cartridges specifically, but the notion of manufacturing and selling these games off in general. It's when you start to make money off of other people's work, whether it's the original game designer's, or the romhack designer's, is when I draw my line. I don't believe anyone should make money off of producing these things. Producing these carts and boxes is what sets them apart from other dealers, flea markets, and yard sales.
>>
>>3022489
Basically this.

Also I feel sorry for people who buy those carts, because they're overpriced as shit and you can download them for free on the Internet.

A local game seller here is trying to sell Treasure Hunter G on a SNES cart for $45. The guy gave me some bullshit spiel about how it was some rare game that was never "officially" released here and how this was one of the few legit English copies, and I just nodded and smiled until he was done then walked out shaking my head.
>>
>>3022965
>the more the costs of games skyrocket
Do you mean older games that are harder to find, or newer games? The standard pricepoint of $60 of today is almost identical to the $40 pricepoint of 20 years ago after accounting for inflation.
>>
>>3022489
Good repro makers build PCBs from scratch though and those are way more costly I think. Paying more than retail price kind of defeats the purpose though.

>ROMs from 20 years ago are immoral

I'm a huge piracy autist and you're retarded.

>>3026279
>who buy those carts
>you can download them for free on the Internet

Where are you guys manufactured? Might commission a repro or two to unleash on stupid threads like this.

By the way, I don't condone faggots passing repro as the real thing for scamming purposes, but repros are far from the worst devilish thing you think they are. I want the games. There is not an official channel to sell the games physically anymore. Some never even came about. I can get some of them for an affordable price provided it's covering manufacturing costs, along with boxes/leaflets etc. They didn't come from Nintendo. Boo hoo.
>>
>>3023889
this, it breathes new life in the console
>>
>>3022454
It's awesome what they do, dude. And what do you mean by can't be legal? Are you retarded?
>>
>>3026280
I stated it in an earlier thread but most of the Genesis games I bought in the past 4 or 5 years have basically tripled in value.

I'm in process of selling them off now.

Brand new MSRP has been incredibly stable the past 20 years. With the exception that you're usually getting "less" in that the manuals are cheaper or non-existant and the cases are becoming flimsier.
Thread posts: 74
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.