[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I've just finished FF1 and I was wondering if I should skip

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: 1439634433231.jpg (12KB, 389x150px) Image search: [Google]
1439634433231.jpg
12KB, 389x150px
I've just finished FF1 and I was wondering if I should skip 2, I'm not a big fan of "the more you use it the better you get" system ala Elder Scrolls. Is it similar to that? Worse?
>>
Well these games have barely any story and the gameplay is very basic. So yeah, sure, whatever, come back in a few years maybe.
>>
only retro final fantasy worth playing is tactics anyway
>>
If you don't like Elder Scrolls interpretation of it you definitely won't like it in FFII. It DOES have a job system though, like 5 and the current pop icon, Tactics.
>>
It leveling system is indeed similar to ES. Using weapons and magic levels your skills in them. Taking lots of damage in a battle increases your max HP. Getting hit with spells increases your magic defense. Plus, you can exploit the magic system; if you start to cast a spell, then cancel out of it, the game still gives you credit for casting the spell. You can do it dozens of times in a fight and level your spell levels.

The game does have a plot though, a bit more involved than FF1. Out of your party, the first three chars stay with you the whole game, the fourth slot switches periodically. Also, several plot/party characters will die as the story progresses.
>>
>>3012896

It seems pretty silly to diss the game based on the character progression system, but if you couldn't tolerate Elder Scrolls, then FF2 definitely won't be up your alley. Since pretty much the entire SaGa series is based around similar mechanics, you probably won't like any of those games for that matter.

Filthy casual

>>3012931
>Plus, you can exploit the magic system; if you start to cast a spell, then cancel out of it, the game still gives you credit for casting the spell. You can do it dozens of times in a fight and level your spell levels.

That's fixed in later versions.
>>
>>3012949
>It seems pretty silly to diss the game based on the character progression system
Why? it's an RPG
>>
>>3012896
I don't really care for FF2 that much, but I wouldn't recommend skipping it. Play the PS1 Origins version.
>>
The shitty thing about the levelling system is that the higher your level in a skill is, the more you have to use that skill in a single battle to even get XP towards it. Honestly I like everything about FF2 apart from actually playing it because of how tedious the levelling gets.
>>
>>3012896
It's not even the biggest problem with FF2.
>>
>>3012896
Go ahead and play it. PS1 version for the real deal. Just don't expect to breeze through dungeons, just probe them at first and know when to pull out with your experience.

Also, SPECIALIZE. Don't try to make a party of well-rounded paladins; you'll get punished hard.

Lastly...never sell the blood sword. That's all you need to know. Have fun.
>>
>>3013553
>experience
Read: stat bonuses
>>
>>3012954
I am not sure what you mean by this, but out of anything natural growth through usage makes a lot of sense in a RPG because you are letting the characters actions define their role in the party rather than using some pre-set class.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.