[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hi there guys, im about to buy what will be my last retro console,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 5

File: dreamcast.png (212KB, 650x419px) Image search: [Google]
dreamcast.png
212KB, 650x419px
Hi there guys, im about to buy what will be my last retro console, the Sega Dreamcast.

Dreamcast is for me the consolidation of an era, a 128bit power machine, within the 5th generation, the best generation of consoles (Ill not discuss my point of view right now we can do it later).

What are the main considerations I have to watch before buying my new system?

Those are my keys:

I live in PAL territory, here where I live I can take one for 60€ more or less.

I want to run "backup" games, the legend tells that de Dreamcast can Run CD-R by default. Is that true?

I wanna play too Japanese games, so, Am I able to play Japanese games in a PAL console as I did with my PSX and PS2?

What about netplay?

There are different console models? I remember seeing one without the network module I think, but not sure.
>>
>>3012790

Thanks for your attention BTW!
>>
File: image.jpg (161KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
161KB, 1600x1200px
Yea they all run CD-Rs by default, and the ISO uploading community provides really quality files that you just put in and play. Check out the isozone.
>>
File: easteregg.png (761KB, 843x441px) Image search: [Google]
easteregg.png
761KB, 843x441px
>>3012823

Nice one, yeah I check isozone almost daily, great page. Thank you so much!

More?
>>
>>3012790
>a 128bit power machine
No such thing exists. Dreamcast, GameCube and Xbox all have a 32 bit processors. PS2 has a 64 bit CPU.
>>
>>3012898

Thanks for the info. I think we are all agree about bit bandwith is nothing but marketing.

What I mean with a 128bit machine is, even when Dreamcast is usually marked as a 6th generation, I think its concept and style is nearer to the 5th generation.

Only talking about graphics, not the power of number of bits itself.
>>
All PAL Dreamcasts can play burnt games, they can't play GD roms from another region without a mod chip or a boot disk (which you can burn yourself) but they can play burnt games from other regions.

I could be wrong but I believe all models came with the modem. They can be removed which may be why you saw one without it. The PAL model only has a 33k modem as opposed to the 56k one that comes with an NTSC console. There's also a model 2 Dreamcast, which can be identified by a circled 2 on the bottom, which doesn't play burnt games but is otherwise identical to the model 1, they were only released in NTSC regions at the very end of the systems life and are fairly rare.
>>
>>3012946
>There's also a model 2 Dreamcast, which can be identified by a circled 2 on the bottom

Technically that would be model 3, since there are three versions, called VA0, VA1, VA2, on the motherboards. The circled number on the bottom is the VA number.
>>
File: Stone_Tower_interior.jpg (667KB, 810x812px) Image search: [Google]
Stone_Tower_interior.jpg
667KB, 810x812px
>>3012978

Is there any difference between then that can affect to the >>3012946 info?
>>
>>3012790
I'm a fairly new DC owner myself, got a fairly beaten up one from a friend for cheap. If you're unsure of how functional your console is, there's a cool controller/port test program up on isozone in the DC section under software or homebrew. I've used it already to diagnose a deadzone in the stick of one of my controllers, useful as fuck.
The only bad thing about my DC is that is won't always read burned discs right away, only after the laser has been running a while reading a legit game or, for some reason, the copy of Dynamite Cop I burned which works every time. Not a big problem, just have to 'warm up' the console, but it's a bitch when I bring it to a friend's house and have to futz with it to get it to start reading.
>>
>>3012790
If at some point the controllers stop working, what's happened is one of the capacitors/resistors on the controller PCB has blown. To avoid this you might want to avoid dodgy peripherals, dirty ones or quickly plugging in/out lots of them. If it does blow (which is common) it's not the end of the world, you can even use a piece of sticky-tape and a pin in replacement... not really recommended.
>>
L.O.L. - Lack of Love is one of my favorites.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.