[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Reminder that Half-Life was almost going to be one of the wo

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3

File: Enginegl_2013-06-07_18-14-39-49.jpg (262KB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Enginegl_2013-06-07_18-14-39-49.jpg
262KB, 1280x1024px
Reminder that Half-Life was almost going to be one of the worst games ever made
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phTjVY04_k0
>>
>>3010203
You could make that argument with any game's alpha footage before the modern indie game scene ran that term into the ground.
>>
>>3010213
From what I heard, Valve thought the game was sucking ass so they decide to start over. And this was way later than the version in the video.
>>
>>3010213
Exactly.
It's not like Valve and any intention on releasing the game in this state, it doesn't look very good because it's not finished yet.
>>
>>3010219
Again, this is not my opinion on the footage. Valve themselves said the game was a dissapointment so they had to scrap everything and start over from scratch. And they were much later in development than what we see in the video when it happened.
>>
>>3010203
If people aborted things before they were complete just cause they look ugly and are a little slow you would have never been born.
>>
>>3010221
This reminds me that story about the early cut of Star Wars. I guess best things happen after fail after fail.
>>
>>3010227
But Valve did abort the game at one point and started over. That's how we got one of the best games of all time.
>>
File: 1455241609621.gif (850KB, 400x392px) Image search: [Google]
1455241609621.gif
850KB, 400x392px
>>3010203
>implying it's not
>>
>>3010221
I got a feeling they were exaggerating if they claimed it thought it was gonna be the worst thing ever. A lot of what's in that footage did make it to the full game after all.
>>
File: 1453474877424.jpg (81KB, 625x790px) Image search: [Google]
1453474877424.jpg
81KB, 625x790px
>>3010237
>>
>>3010239
WHAT IS AN IMAGEBOARD?

A MISERABLE PILE OF SHITPOSTS.
>>
>>3010221
I was in agreement with you.
Even though they ended up scraping what this version became, they still never intended to release the game as it was shown in this video.
>>
>>3010247
Of course they didn't. I'm not dumb enough to judge a game by its fucking alpha (Although it was actually sent to game magazines for preview. A bad move imo)
>>
>almost
It's the PC equivalent of Halo. Lame, boring, linear, derivative shit.
>>
>>3010239
sometimes a joke is just a joke, anon
>>
>>3010218
>>3010221
valve's known for scrapping games and starting over as many times as they feel it's necessary, that's why it takes them forever to deliver a finished product

hl2 and tf2 went through the same process
>>
>>3010254
>derivative
of what?
>>
Everytime I see someone saying "acclaimed game is the worst game ever" I think that person haven't played many games in his life. And say it as a guy who don't even like HL games.
>>
>>3010252
I'd argue it was a good move since it caused Valve to reexamine what it was doing with the project and resulted in the Half-Life we have today.
>>
>>3010383
It's more of an attempt to prove their gamer cred is so high they're too cool to like highly acclaimed games. It's like the exact opposite of people here defending notoriously awful games after an e-celeb did a review.
>>
>>3010363
Quake 2
Like, literally. Half-Life was based on the Quake 2 engine. The SMG is clearly a retooled Hyperblaster from Q2. Carmack has even gone on record saying he can still see elements of the Q2 engine in the modern Source engine.
>>
>>3010245
Surprisingly accurate.
>>
This looks more fun than the finished product tbqh
>>
>>3010429
>Like, literally. Half-Life was based on the Quake 2 engine.
No, it's based on the quake 1 engine you dunce
>>
>>3010276
episode 3 has probably lived and died 100 times by now
>>
>>3010203
Let me piss people off. I would've played that
>>
>>3010539
Agreed, just looks like a really good quake 2 mod to me, I happen to like quake 2. (Yes i know it is the quake 1 engine)
>>
>>3010546
Quake 2 is nice in multiplayer, but it doesn't have too much replay value in SP. The low monster count and fairly cramped levels is a problem imho, if the game would have been a bit more challenging and frantic it would have been great.
>>
>>3010557
I love quake 3 multiplayer, must admit quake 2 was always a singleplayer game for me, probably why I like doom so much more.
>>
>>3010561
Well q3 is basically q2's multiplayer mode except rebalanced and improved across the board. It's still the best "competitive" multiplayer fps imho, though others may be more fun in say casual DM (like Half-Life).

>I like doom so much more.
I like doom more mostly because of it's modding and mapmaking community honestly. I also prefer q1 to q2, but that's almost entirely because of the better level design. Q2 could have been a lot better than it was with better levels, even if it's still a good and enjoyable game.
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.