[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Original Tomb Raider, PC version or PS1 version with an emulator

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 2

File: TR_1g[1].jpg (100KB, 713x713px) Image search: [Google]
TR_1g[1].jpg
100KB, 713x713px
Original Tomb Raider, PC version or PS1 version with an emulator /vr/?

I've been wanting to play through the first game again but the last time I played it was over a decade ago on the Saturn. Which version would be better? Here are my thoughts:

> PS1 version:

- Easier to get running
- Easier to con figure for a controller
- More audio tracks
- Can play in higher resolution
- Better FMVs

PC version:

- No warping textures due to PS1's shitty z-buffer
- Unfinished Business addon
- Longer draw distance
- Steadier framerate

What should I go with?
>>
I thought someone ported Unfinished Business to PS1?

Anyways, the PS1 version does very well for me.

I heard that timed fire platform room doesn't even have save points in the PC version, so it that dings it a few points for me already because fuck that room.
>>
>>3009996

PS1 version in an emulator would have savestates even if the game didn't have savepoints in that room.

Actually savestates would be pretty nice considering the original game uses save crystals so you can only save in certain spots and only once per crystal.
>>
>>3009983
>> PS1 version:
>- Can play in higher resolution
>- Better FMVs

how come? you could select resolution and sacrifice framerate?
and there fore if emulated, you woudl have smooth frate rate and higher res?

at TR1 release ibmPCs were already superior to ps1, how did this happen
>>
>>3010023
>once per crystal.
switch memcards?

and on PC there was no limit on that ofc
>>
>>3010023
It adds to the challenge.

Gotta know when to save. And if you do, you have to live with the decision.
>>
>>3010027

Once per crystal means you find a save crystal hovering in the world, you walk up to it and use it, and then it disappears.
>>
>>3009983
PC has 3d acceleration support through patches. Get the 3dfx patch + aGlide wrapper and enjoy Lara's low poly but bilinear filtered breasticles.
>>
>>3010320
with 3dfx you're still stuck with 1024x768 thumbnails
>>
>>3010324
>thumbnails
which thumbnails?

and since when does ps1 generates more than that?

are ou talking about post processing emulation?
hardware scalers? or emulator plugins that enable increased resolution internally, like the engine generating a highres frame with trig calcs from scratch?
>>
>>3009983
Unless I'm playing TR on my Vita , I prefer the PC version+nGlide+JoyToKey.
I've played it enough times that non-existent loadtimes, and being able to save anywhere, easily trump the lesser audio and buggered-up FMVs.
>>
>>3010349
>which thumbnails?
the 1024x768 pictures. Look kind of small on a 4k or 8k display. Also, I made a light joke. Glide does have a resolution limit

>since when does ps1 generates more than that?
since ogl emulators are a thing
>>
File: dosbox-keymapper.png (5KB, 642x482px) Image search: [Google]
dosbox-keymapper.png
5KB, 642x482px
>>3010362
>JoyToKey
If by "PC version" you mean "DOS version" and potentially DOSBox, DOSBox' own internal keymapper (CTRL-F1) allows to map arbitrary input devices, like joysticks and gamepads, to the emulated keyboard and joysticks. So you can map your gamepad's analog stick to the correct joystick axes, then in-game select joystick controls. That's how I do analog steering with a gamepad in Indianapolis 500.
>>
I prefer the PS1 version, but be warned that it has a ton of bugs. One bug makes it impossible to collect all secrets. Although, you can exploit another bug to make a secret carry over from a previous level, and trick the game into thinking you collected the bugged secret instead.

Getting the PC version to run in DOSBox is no easy task, and all those compatibility fixes floating around the Internet didn't do shit for me. I even downloaded someone else's DOSBox configuration for the game, and it ran like shit.

For what it's worth, a Saturn port exists as well. No idea what the differences are.
>>
>>3010562
The Saturn version is the original version. But it's probably even buggier than the PlayStation one.
>>
>>3010562
Why do you people have problems with DOSBox? The game runs pretty straightforward in it
>>
>>3009983
PS1 version, since I can run it on mobile devices a lot easier than the PC version.

In fact, I have it on my PSP (I like the game so much, I bought it) and thanks to the AV cable for PSP 3000's, I can play it on the go, take it home and play it on a TV or monitor, or whatever I'd like. Best of all worlds, really.

I know, I'm not being an OCD riddled graphics whore... Erm, I mean "purist" about it, but I DO play 99% retro games. So graphics aren't really a thing that I give 3 fucks about(1 or 2 fucks, maybe...). As long as a game runs, and I can play it, then I don't care. I mean, hell. I used to play GBA roms at 75% original speed on my toaster when VBA first came out, lol. I beat like 20 games at that speed, too...

Generally, the only games where I pick the PC version over the console version are games that have actual cut content from the main game on consoles. Or in cases like Doom, where the 80 fucking console ports just all blow ass and barely run correctly.
>>
>>3009983
Patched DOS version with unfinished business addon with nglide (any resolution you want) and patched PS1 soundtrack and sound effects and FMVs.
win/win
>>
>>3010562
I can't say that I've experienced many bugs in my hundreds of hours playing tomb raider.
>>
>>3010708
>nglide (any resolution you want)
does "any" include above 1024x768 and widescreen?

>patched PS1 soundtrack
Why that? Both had plain CDDA soundtracks

>FMVs
Wouldn't the DOS FMVs be superior, due to high resolution and all that?
>>
>>3009983
PS1 version, on emulator or console, it doesn't really matter, personally I prefer to play on a PS3

Superior in every way!

>Superior control method (keyboard sucks)
>Superior save system (save crystals are awesome)
>Superior sound design and soundtrack (PC misses music when enemies approach, missing audio effects like reverb, bad stereo, etc)
>Better graphics (better lighting, textures look better, more atmospheric, reflections which are missing on PC and in later versions more effects like footsteps etc)
>Higher quality cutscenes
>Less bugs (all PC Tomb Raiders are full of game-breaking bugs)
>Level Select for infinite replay later

If you can play the NTSC version, it's better than PAL, but both are superior than the shitty PC version

I first played all Tomb Raiders on PC and I loved then. But when I played them on consoles I was blown away because Tomb Raider on consoles is superior in every way!
>>
PS1 version, for consistency with the other 3 that are an absolute bitch to get running on the PC.
>>
>>3010773
>keyboard sucks
DOS version has joystick support

>Better graphics
Now you're just trolling. 3dfx

>Less bugs
yeah, trolling
>>
>>3010779
there are no nother 3. There's one Tomb Raider. Then there's a bunch of other games with a same name, pissing on it.
>>
>>3010710

Not at all unexpected; initial releases of pretty much every classic 'Raider were so fucking buggy there's multiple revisions released to fix 'em all (even on the PS1). Sadly, the most bugfree are the incredibly tacky "Greatest Hits" versions, which is why I keep both the 1.0 versions and the last known non-GH version on-hand at all times. Encounter an asshole bug? Switch revisions.
>>
>>3010781

Yeah, well that's just, like, your OPINION, man.
>>
>>3010780
PC pleb detected

If yoy haven't played Tomb Raider on PS1 I forgive you. You really don't know what you are missing. I was a Tomb Raider PC pleb like you, obsessed with high resolutions, glidefx, patches until I purchased all classic Tomb Raiders on PSN and I fell in love with Tomb Raider again. I was missing the superior console versions all these years!

If I have to play on PC I would choose a PS1 emulator. Native TR on PC sucks!
>>
>>3010794
post some screenshots of stuff in the PS game that's missing in the PC game, and I might believe you. It's an image board, after all
>>
>>3010717
>does "any" include above 1024x768 and widescreen?
yes even 8K. widescreen no.

>Why that? Both had plain CDDA soundtracks
the dos version has worse sound effect quality. the ps1 has additional soundtracks for events happening like t-rex attack. The dos just loops a certain soundtrack for every level.

>Wouldn't the DOS FMVs be superior, due to high resolution and all that?
no the dos fmvs have inferior quality/compression and also very visible scanlines in dosbox depending on the resolution you play.

The patched DOS version of Tomb Raider + Unfinished business with nglide, the ps1 soundtracks, sound effects and FMVs is definitely the definitive and ultimate way of playing the game.
It's only missing widescreen, but I don't care about that since it was not intended with that aspect ratio in mind. I also play it in native 640x480 instead of 1440p because I value continuity and authenticity and think sharp polygons in contrast to low pixelated textures look ugly. 640x480 looks nice because of the blur of the upscale.
>>
>>3010808
>yes even 8K
good to know. So glide wrappers can do a little bit more than actual glide.

>also very visible scanlines in dosbox depending on the resolution you play
For resolution reasons they do render on SVGA with every other line black. That's not so much scanlines in the crt sense

>blur of the upscale
gross
squares for the win
>>
>>3010801

As far as I know the PSX games should differ from the PC ones in only two cases:

1. Related to a bugfix. The PC versions unfortunately got more TLC in that area than the PSX versions in every installment. The PSX ones were also on a completely different patching cycle, but that's to be expected.

2.In TR 1, you're not gonna have nearly as much music on the PC versions. This is noticeable right off the bat, BTW; the PSX version has all kinds of little musical flourishes and motifs the PC just doesn't have. Not sure what the fuck happened.

Any other difference starts getting into really nitty-gritty shit like the commonly cited wibbly-wobbly PSX renderer (fixed right around the time of 3, BTW) or soundcard specific audio glitches.
>>
>>3010813
True on a CRT it probably looks better. But the ps1 movies are much cleaner compression-wise.
The weird scan lines appear if you set it a 640x480 non-integer resolution. With 320x240 you have no scanlines. With 640x480 even ones. So you basically should put 320x240 or 640x480 in the dosbox configuration depending on what you want. And set the resolution for ingame like 1080p separately in nglide.
>>
>>3010823
>This is noticeable right off the bat
beautiful Tomb Raider level 1 pun.

>wibbly-wobbly PSX renderer
never played it, but I kind of imagine the wobbly renderer to help TR, simply because it disguises the cube nature and makes things look more "organic"
>>
>>3010710
>It just werks for me

What's the point of replies like this? Just because you haven't experienced any bugs, that means there aren't any?

http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps/199040-tomb-raider/faqs/36533

TR1 has a shit ton of bugs. You've probably encountered some of them without even realizing it. For instance, current level statistics can easily be skewed by actions taken in previous levels. Not that you'd notice, but it's there.

And again, you cannot collect the final secret without exploiting a glitch, so if you set out to do a 100% run, you will in fact HAVE to resort to cheating.
>>
>>3010826
>The weird scan lines appear if you set it a 640x480 non-integer resolution
640x480 with every other line black was a common FMV mode back then on DOS. Between 320x200 and 640x480 you more than quadruple the number of pixels to show. Only drawing every other line helps to only increase it to double the pixels, at the expense of the lines.

>320x240
320x200 is the DOS resolution. For SVGA you do 640x480
>>
>>3010025
>at TR1 release ibmPCs were already superior to ps1,
Eh not really. Well the best PCs were...but the majority of PCs in 1996 sure as hell didn't have hardware rasterisers. The PS1 had one.

PS1 also had a hardware T&L processor. PC's didn't get them until 1999, even at the high-end.
>>
>>3010831
>What's the point of replies like this?
Such replies suggest that these bugs are less common than the original poster suggested, and may pssibly be related to the setup of that particular poster. That's useful information.
>>
>>3010786

Other revisions of TR1 didn't actually fix anything, to my knowledge. I own the last revision and it's still plagued with bugs.

Bugs were fixed in other TR games, though. I remember there being a critical level select bug in early prints of TR3 that made it impossible to progress in the game. After completing the first block of levels, the game would just loop you back to the first stage again. That was patched out in the first revision, I believe.
>>
>>3010840
>setup

We're talking about PS1 version. It's going to have the same bugs regardless of who's playing it.
>>
Go with the ps1 version OP. It was quite well known that the PC and Saturn versions were inferior at the time. I remember reading one review that listed the differences. Sorry, if I remembered which mag I would tell you, bit deff the ps1 version was best.
>>
>>3010829

>never played it, but I kind of imagine the wobbly renderer to help TR, simply because it disguises the cube nature and makes things look more "organic"

In 2 yeah, you could make that argument. In 1 though they wobble so much you can see through to the void routinely. I still consider it a fair trade though for better audio (vanilla TR1 in DOSBox isn't exactly fucktons better with its renderer).

You can tell they sorta shifted gears at the last second with supporting Tomb Raider on console as well.
>>
>>3010831
I've been speedrunning tomb raider games for several years and i'm just pointing out that i've never experienced any serious bugs that happen unintentionally. Someone that sets out to 100% will know about the bug or just play the greatest hits version.
>>
>>3010842

TR1 is actually pretty bugfree compared to the others. If you're refraining from using the "clip to higher ledge" cheat you really shouldn't; at least one secret was designed so you _have_ to use that to get to it. The devs were well aware of the bug.

You knew that right?
>>
>>3010852
>In 1 though they wobble so much you can see through to the void routinely
The wobbling is an artifact of affine transform, which does not affect the location of vertices. Tomb Raider 1 has severe clipping issues though, which can lead to polygons not being rendered that should be, showing "the void"
>>
>>3010872

Thanks for the info.
>>
>>3010865
>I've been speedrunning tomb raider games for several years and i'm just pointing out that i've never experienced any serious bugs that happen unintentionally.

You never said anything about serious bugs, just bugs in general. Now you're moving the goalposts.

>Someone that sets out to 100% will know about the bug or just play the greatest hits version.

The GH version doesn't fix any of these bugs. I own the last revision.
>>
>>3010871
>TR1 is actually pretty bugfree compared to the others.

No it's not -_-

>If you're refraining from using the "clip to higher ledge" cheat you really shouldn't; at least one secret was designed so you _have_ to use that to get to it

There aren't any secrets like this in TR1. The only thing that comes to mind is a medipak that's out of reach in one of the Egyptian levels, which isn't even a secret. All secrets can be obtained through normal jumps and maneuvers, but the last secret in the game doesn't register in the level statistics screen when you collect it.
>>
It's a real shame TRA didn't come with a fully fixed version of TR1 included
>>
>>3010808
>ultimate
alrightr

im gonna request more details on this,

is this the shit
http://www.tombraiderhub.com/guides/2014/12/11/tomb-raider-advanced-installer/#Download
it doesn't explicitly say it includes psx FMVs
did you do that part urself?
what im i gonna need to extract the ps1 FMVs?
the cdda tracks are included in this 366MB 32bit installer
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.