[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are some reviews, lists, videos, statements or general idiocy

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 104
Thread images: 6

File: 1455052139272.jpg (78KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1455052139272.jpg
78KB, 1280x720px
What are some reviews, lists, videos, statements or general idiocy sprouted about retro vidya that makes you cringe?
>>
>emulation isn't playing the game for real
>"just like the devs intended"
>only old games are actually good
>this person doesn't have as much retro cred as me
>[insert prefix here]-babby
>"stop parroting e-celebs" (in literally any context)
That's some of the more standout cancer I can think of.
>>
The 1983 crash killed all video games and Nintendo saved the industry.
>>
People who still try to console war about consoles that came out 20+ years ago despite everything being easily accessible to download.

People on this board who think that just because the 100 users of /vr/ know what a game is, that makes it "not obscure," even though 99% of the gaming community doesn't know what it is.
>>
>Nintendo are literally the devil incarnate and forced a monopoly on poor innocent 3rd parties like EA and Activision.
>>
>>3008582
a lot of the stuff that gets posted here actually

engaging retards is a waste of time
>>
Having strong opinions one way or the other on how to abbreviate the original PlayStation's name.
>>
>>3008596
That's actually kinda true though. The crash did impact video ges pretty hea ily and Nintendo was the only successful company at the time.
>>
>>3008619
>>3008614
>>3008607
>>3008598
>>3008596
>>3008592
>>3008582
People creating and replying to /v/ threads
>>
>>3008619

The North American console market was not the entire video game industry. Part of the reason the crash even happened was that people started to play vidya on computers instead of consoles.
>>
>>3008596
That isn't strictly true, but it also isn't entirely wrong, without Nintendo, the North American console market would have looked very different, it may not even have recovered.

Gaming would look radically different.

>>3008606
They weren't even close to EA bad but for a time they had a solid chokehold on a lot of devs.

>>3008598
>People who still try to console war about consoles that came out 20+ years ago
So much this

>>3008614
And this

>PSX
>EEERRRRR GO BACK TO /v/ KID
I can't think of a more useless post

>>3008634
Feeling singled out, anon?
>>
Some kid told me once I should respect AVGN and then started to parrot the episode he talks about SNES vs Genesis, he really used the same "arguments" James used in that video. I asked to him to name 5 Genesis games but Sonic and he didn't knew anyone, it was a pretty awkward situation
>>
>>3008639
>Feeling singled out, anon?
Na. Just sad to see a /v/ cringe thread get replies on /vr/. But I've known this place is long gone. Nice to hope that you /v/ kids may fuck off.
>>
The part of the 'Nintendo saves the industry' narrative that always makes me cringe is the part that credits that shitty ROB toy for it. I was seven years old then and even then I could see that toy was a shit gimmick that had nothing to do with the game. It was Super Mario Bros. and light gun Duck Hunt that sold Nintendo on me and I am very sure that it was the same for most everyone else.
>>
>>3008636
The North American market was the vast majority of the market at the time and still is. You can fail in every other country catastrophically but still be considered successful if you do well in the USA. There's simply more people here with disposable income.
>>
>>3008647

Feeling kind of embarrassed reading your posts, dude. /v/'s "cringe threads" are just "hey look what le evil twitter man said! and check out this redditor wearing a fedora!"

This thread is just "what do you hate when dumbasses spout on /vr/."
>>
>>3008646

If he watched AVGN, then he should know Genesis games other than Sonic.
AVGN covered stuff like Hard Coprs or Bloodlines.

I call bullshit.
>>
>>3008661
Are you bragging how /vr/ does cringe threads better?

Do us all a favor and just end yourself. This place will be better off.
>>
>>3008665

He probably didn't even bothered to pay attention to the name of the games. But hey, Contra 3 and Castlevania IV are better because they're on SNES and James like it xD
>>
>>3008670

>So massive victim complex that he seriously thinks I'm saying /v/'s threads are better

You're so fucking stupid it physically hurts me. I'm saying that this thread is about stupid /vr/ opinions you hate and thus on topic, whereas /v/'s threads are about stupid, offtopic shit. Are you retarded? Do you have any fucking reading comprehension at all?
>>
>>3008672

I dunno, you seem extremely butthurt to me.
I don't like e-celebs, but people like you who thinks everyone must like [x] game because AVGN likes it is equal or even more cancerous than e-celeb worshippers.

I still call bullshit, I don't think you even had said argument with that kid, unless you're actually a teenager.
>>
>>3008676
And you had to make the OP /v/ tier by including /v/ memes like cringe?

You could had easily worded it something along the line of "Things people on /vr/ say that upset you" or something. No need for your dank memes.
>>
>>3008681

Now you're assuming I'm the OP? Seriously, just stop posting. Retards like you shouldn't pick fights.

>the word "cringe" is a meme

You're the gift that keeps on giving, dude.
>>
>>3008680

When did I fuck said everyone must like thing because someone else told it? He literally cited that video. Whatever you believe or not, I don't write autistic works of fiction and falsehood in anime imageboards, anon.
>>
>>3008619
>That's actually kinda true though.

Only for North America and the console industry.

Computer games were fine (in fact better than ever thanks to the C64 and later the Amiga) and the Atari wasn't that popular elsewhere in the world for its failure to make an impact.
>>
People who claim that 3D capability was tacked on to the Saturn because they were trying to play catch-up with Sony.
>>
>>3008684
Oh please kid. Don't go back peddling now.

There was no need for your dank memes,
>>
Meta-arguments about what is and isn't ruining /vr/.
>>
>>3008712

We had some weeks free from this shit, looks like they returned now
>>
>>3008712
it's always guys comparing this and that to /v/. I don't visit /v/, I have literally no idea about what /v/ is like, yet you see all these fags crying about "MUH /V/ SHITPOSTING!". Seems like they're the ones visiting /v/ too much. Projection is a thing.
>>
>>3008592
I agree in part, but emulation is not a truly, authentic experience. I prefer original hardware and software.
>>
>>3008592
>"stop parroting e-celebs" (in literally any context)

But people do parrot e-celebs. That's easily the single biggest cancer in retro gaming.
>>
>>3008704
Hence the kinda true. And domination in the Na market=global domination. It's by far and away the largest market for video games to the point where consoles like the 360 only do well in the NA market and are considered successful
>>
Shitty GameFAQs reviews. Eg. look up one of the 8-bit home ports of Pac-Man or something and there's just some generic blah blah blah about Pac-Man and retro gaming.

Dammit man, don't post a review on the page for the Commodore 64 port of a game unless you're going to actually review it/post cool tech tidbits/trivia about the this particular version.
>>
>people in this thread are cool
Autistic is more like it. am i rite? (yes)
I'll just contribute

"Those graphics suck! How can anyone play that shit?"
>>
>>3008582
>when idiots listen to "those guys" that say things like that the NES is worth thousands.
>>
>>3008582
People saying the PS1 was a shit console with nothing but mindless shovelware.
>>
>>3008928

Same only with the N64.
>>
>>3008928
People who say that about almost any console are just mindless upset fanboys. Pretty much every console has at least a few great games.

The PS1 especially, who the fuck says that? I could spend the rest of my life playing PS1 games and I still wouldn't get through all the good ones.
>>
>>3008772
>someone says something vaguely similar to something some e-celeb said once, or has a similar opinion
>actually is giving their own opinion, might not even have heard of the e-celeb in question
>GET YOUR OWN OPINION
Don't even pretend that's a productive post.
>>
>>3008928
I can't imagine anyone saying that and meaning it.

Sure, the PS had a lot of shovelware, but so did the NES and 2600, and nobody says that makes them bad.
>>
>>3008990

I won't say it's not a coincidence the fact we have almost daily threads bashing Zelda OoT and Sonic games right after some youtuber made a video pointing "poor level design" and all those buzzwords they love.
>>
>>3008760

Why
>>
I cringe at any reference to "being a kid on Saturday morning"

a lot of the time it honestly feels like these people don't like games so much as they hate being an adult
>>
>>3008582
This is from WatchMojo's top 10 games that didn't age well video, right?
>>
>>3009070
>I cringe at any reference to "being a kid on Saturday morning"

What does this mean?
>>
>>3009158

See in the states we don't have school on Saturday so a lot of kids got to play more video games or watch cartoons.

A lot of Nostalgia fags pine for these days of childhood freedom to such an extent you really have to wonder how shitty their adult lives are
>>
>>3009070
Saturday morning was the time of the week I was least likely to be playing video games.
>>
>>3009162

I don't remember people here talking about being a kid on saturday morning, and having nostalgia is a normal thing for human beings, as long as it doesn't consume your whole life that you can't even live the present, feeling nostalgia is alright.
Whining about how the old times were better is common banter between adults.
>>
>>3009176
>I don't remember people here talking about being a kid on saturday morning

NOT HERE but a lot of youtubers mention it. *Cough AVGN*
>>
>>3009162
Honestly, it's all selective memory. Yeah, I remember being a kid in the 80s watching TMNT and other cartoons on Saturday mornings, but I also remember hating Saturday mornings during little league season because I had to waste my one morning to sleep in and watch cartoons or play Nintendo in order to play the one sport you stand around all day in a field. Adults tend to block out all the bullshit they dealt with as a kid when they get the warm fuzzy feeling of nostalgia.

What I really hate is when people think whatever decade they grew up in was the last good decade, like when 40-somethings swear to me everything was peaches n cream in the 80s. If you do a little research, you'll know it wasn't for a lot of people.
>>
File: Kojima_in_charge_of_originality.jpg (376KB, 1280x1146px) Image search: [Google]
Kojima_in_charge_of_originality.jpg
376KB, 1280x1146px
People who whine about Snake's Revenge but never bother to elaborate why other than parroting shit they read on TheSnakeSoup.
>>
>>3009667
People hate on Snake's Revenge?
>>
>>3009032
Maybe they just validated something they always felt, but thought they were a minority in?

I haven't really played either, but it's not like those sentiments suddenly began existing because of a YouTube video.
>>
File: SnakesRevenge1.png (7KB, 258x226px) Image search: [Google]
SnakesRevenge1.png
7KB, 258x226px
>>3009667
>>3010129

It's mostly that people think both NES games are bad because Kojima disliked the first game.

Unlike the first NES Metal Gear (which was rushed in a deadline of 3 months), Snake's Revenge had a better development and was done by the Castlevania team, and Kojima himself thinks it's pretty faithful to the MG concept.
>>
>>3012476
Well yeah, I can see a dislike for the first one because it was a rushed, butchered port, but even if Kojima didn't have any actual input on Snake's Revenge, it's just a much more competent and complete game (than the previous port, that is)

Didn't Kojima say that though he didn't regard it as a canon entry, that it was a fine game in it's own right?

You'd think MGS fanboys would listen to what he says considering how much they worship the guy.

Also, that fucking jungle infiltration theme:
https://youtu.be/GYKjNOcjDXY
>>
Virtually every single comment ever made about N64 hardware by anyone (especially relating to the stuff outside of cartridges, such as texture cache) tends to be utterly incorrect.
>>
>>3012530
4kb was more than enough for textures
>>
>>3012473

I watched the Sonic vid at the time and what bothered me more than anything was the guy don't knowing basic strategies like fucking rolling to kill ground enemies while running, it was painful to see. Think on Arino's lack of skill, but instead trying to learn with his mistakes and trying to beat the game like Arino the guy simply blamed the game itself. The Zelda video probably was the same thing.
>>
>>3012550
Haven't seen either.

I don't have the patience to get into Sonic (my eyes don't quite jive with very fast sidescrollers, particularly platformers) so I don't feel I can give an objective judgement on it.
>>
>>3008582
Not really retro specific, but I'm just tired in general of all the "angry funny video game reviewers" who hate games for bullshit reasons, and then people start parroting those reasons.

Like the "you need to spend hours drawing magic and/or playing cards to beat FF8" meme, which is utterly false.
>>
>>3012723

Is there other raging faggot at games than AVGN? Or better, someone still watches this kind of "review"? It was funny at the first time I watched in 2006-07 but c'mon. Youtubers don't age well.
>>
>>3008582
claiming the 5th gen introduced 3D graphics
claiming only textured polygonal 3D graphics are 3D graphics
in particular, calling raycasters, mode 7 + hdma and line scrollers 2D, or worse, 2.5D
>>
>>3008803
>"Those graphics suck! How can anyone play that shit?"
"They press buttons on controllers!"
simple, really
>>
-Ocarina of Time was never good.

-Majora's Mask is for fedoras.

-You can't dislike the Mario franchise.

-Mario 64 was worse than the 2D Marios.

-Rare killed the platformer genre.

-Rare invented the collect-a-thon.

-Banjo-Kazooie is shit.

-DK64 is shit.

-Goldeneye is better than Perfect Dark.

-Final Fantasy was a pristine series until the latter PSX entries.

-Final Fantasy VIII had bad gameplay.

-Final Fantasy IX is a hidden gem.

-Final Fantasy VII was a masterpiece.

-Final Fantasy VI was never good.

-Final Fantasy VI is for edgy faggots.

-Final Fantasy IV was the height of the series.

-Chrono Trigger is a bad game.

-Chrono Cross is better than Chrono Trigger.

-JRPGs are fucking horrible.

-The modern games industry is no different than the retro one.

-Cutscenes are inherently bad.

-Exposition is inherently bad.

-There is no such thing as being autistic about videogames.

-You should pay for old games.

-Steam is great.

-Emulators will never be as good as actual hardware.

-Flashcarts are emulators.

-Games "age" poorly.

-Donkey Kong Country looked terrible.

-Early 3D games looked terrible.

-The 6th gen. was terrible.

-The Wii is a good emulation station.
...Have I missed any?
>>
>>3012980
>-Games "age" poorly.
Funny, that, the statement that the above statement is cringeworthy, makes me cringe, because it exhibits such a strong misunderstanding of informal speech and gaming concepts

Then again, practically your whole post is shitposting, so here's your reply, I suppose.
>>
>>3012982

It's either good or it isn't.

>Then again, practically your whole post is shitposting, so here's your reply, I suppose.

Oh yeah, we triggered now.
>>
>>3012932

>"...this game, despite being an early 3D game, has bad graphics and..."
>early 3D game
>game is from 1998

>>3012980

>you should pay for old games

Thinking about that I never bought brand new games for my consoles. I used to rent titles or buy second hand games from friends, the only time I remember buying one was Tomb Raider 2 for pc, maybe I have killed the industry doing this kind of thing.
>>
Trip Hawkins.
>>
>>3012980
Who the fuck say those things about FFVI and CT? looks to me like you're making a strawman in order to impose your opinion on things
>>
>>3012980
>i'm a rarefag that feels threatened when my favorite developer is criticized
>>
>>3013103

You've no idea how many times I've heard "Chrono Trigger is babbys first rpg lol." and "Final Fantasy VI? Sucks compared to IV/VII! Kefka is totally a Joker Ripoff! Sephiroth 4lyfe!!!!111".

No strawman required.
>>
>>3013130
>No strawman required.
>posts strawman "quotes"
>>
>>3013125

>I'm the same faggot that constantly spews these shit opinions about good games because they're made by Rare.
>>
>>3013137

You're the asshole who posts these opinions, aren't you? I bet you're also >>3013141 too.

What a cancerous piece of shit.
>>
File: 1293033708071.png (4KB, 493x402px) Image search: [Google]
1293033708071.png
4KB, 493x402px
>sega saturn has no emulators
>>
>>3012723
Haven't played it but didn't you have to play some kind of forced card game to get magic or something? Correct me if I'm wrong.

>>3012980
I agree with a lot of things here, but
>The modern games industry is no different than the retro one.
It kind of isn't, I mean, methods and systems change, but shitty devs and publishers have always been a thing.
Atari were basically EA tier at the height of their reign. Rushed ports, bullying tactics to keep small time competitors down, etc.
Nintendo were never close to EA tier, but they did have a bit of a stranglehold on the market early on with the NES.

The industry was just smaller, there were still lots of shady dealings and bullshit business practices. It was not unheard of for games to ship with gamebreaking bugs on computers, or with bad performance issues, and it wasn't until the 90s where it became easier to distribute patches and fixes.
Look at Battlespire, a DOS game that somehow will have absolutely tremendeous performance issues on any machine you run it on, even running it on a virtual machine or dosbox on the most powerful machine of today, I can't even imagine the ineptitude that went into making THAT happen.
Bethesda never fixed this.

It always makes me cringe when I see someone say that online support and DLC killed videogaming. EA didn't always exist, but their ilk sure as hell did.
>>
>>3013179

I don't think online support killed gaming (natural extension of couch co-op in my opinion), but DLC surely is cancer.
>>
>>3013193
online support allows for lazier Q&A as it's easier to ship "fixes". It also allows to more strongly monetize games. DLC is an aspect of that. Online "support" often also isn't so much support, as it is a requirement. peer-to-peer is gone, central servers are the standard, and the major issue is that they allow for a publisher to "kill" a game. You can still play Zelda 1, and there's nothing Nintendo can do about it. Many games with online requirements will simply stop to work when the servers go down. And they will go down, that's not an if.
>>
>>3013202

He didn't say "always online", he said "online support", which I took to mean online multiplayer and/or matchmaking services.

Always online is even worse than DLC.
>>
>>3012996
>It's either good or it isn't.
I think it's slightly more complex than that.

I like Goldeneye, but looking at it now, it has some faults that were seen as acceptable then, but which would not have been done just a year later. Most people say that Perfect Dark is the logical conclusion moving from Goldeneye, and I agree.

>>3013193
I don't see how DLC is cancer.
What's wrong with producing addon content after a game is released?
As an example, the later Fallout games featured DLC that added several hours of gameplay content each, it wasn't like you bought an outfit or some other useless trinket (Fable), or they intentionally cut out vital parts of the game during development to sell later (like EA), they made extra chunks of game after the base game was finished.

Another example is Shovelknight, where the devs were thankful to their fanbase for their success, and released a bunch of free new content for the fans as DLC.

I think opposing DLC because there are bad devs and publishers who abuse it is kind of like throwing the baby out with the bathwater.
>>
>>3013207
>which I took to mean online multiplayer and/or matchmaking services
these central multiplayer servers and matchmaking services will go down, and you're left with a single player game with crude bots (at best), because peer-to-peer is not available anymore. You can still play UT99 online today. Can you say the same about Destiny in 15 years?
>>
>>3013217
>Fallout
>games age

Hello cancer.
>>
>>3013207
Oh god no, Always Online is ABSOLUTELY cancer, some of the worst DRM, especially if it's a game that doesn't even have online features.

I just think online support, patching, and DLC -can- be a very good thing, even if it can be used badly sometimes.
>>
>>3013217
>What's wrong with producing addon content after a game is released?
breaking the game in order to "motivate" people to buy the DLC. DLC is not done after the fact, like your examples of add-ons. DLC is part of the marketing and monetization strategy for a game.
>>
>>3012914
I was thinking of Spoony for the FF8 example, specifically. Also I was watching the Game Grumps Sonic '06 videos and they were yelling about how "the graphics are bad" and "it's inconsistent with previous Sonic games". I'm not defending Sonic '06, it's definitely a shit game, but those are also stupid (and false) reasons to not like it.

>>3013179
>forced card game

Maybe they forced you to play the card game once in a tutorial or something, but that was it, then you never had to touch it again. The main intended source of magic in FF8 was using the Draw command on enemies, but if you were clever in what abilities you learned, you could get all of your magic from bosses and you never had to Draw once.
>>
>>3013225

What shit game do you play where the bots are that bad?

>>3013226

Pretty much. He's making an argument about "added value" when the amount of times DLC has added dick diddle fuck for value has been damned small in comparison with the times it was simply another conduit for the gaming industry to be complete assholes to every person who would ever own that game.
>>
>>3013246
know any where the bots are better for the game than humans, or even a good substitute? That's my measure, as that's the feature that's removed when the servers go down.
>>
>>3013226
What a valuable and insightful post, I think we are all enriched by your message, dear sir.
Inspiring.

>>3013225
See, I absolutely have a problem with things like Destiny, as things are now, that game is eventually going to die and disappear for good in just a couple of years, maybe even sooner.
>>
>>3013251

Perfect Dark bots were fucking scary good.
>>
>>3013242
>DLC is not done after the fact
You know this for sure?
The concept they're doing might have existed during the base game's development, but there isn't always time or resources to do everything.

Sometimes, things are cut out during development and then turned into much more fully realized addons after release, things that would have been small and trivial parts of the game if implemented as originally intended. Obviously not always, not even half the time, but it's absolutely a thing that happens.

>>3013246
> when the amount of times DLC has added dick diddle fuck for value has been damned small in comparison with the times it was simply another conduit for the gaming industry to be complete assholes to every person who would ever own that game
I'll be honest, most DLC is probably not worth your time, but I think there's enough good instances of it to justify it as a concept. Online distribution of expansion packs and addons just does not strike me as something that is fundamentally flawed, harmful and exploitative.

Maybe I'm just looking too much on the bright side, being too optimistic?
>>
File: 7650_front.jpg (122KB, 640x1007px) Image search: [Google]
7650_front.jpg
122KB, 640x1007px
BLUE SHADOWS

http://www.superpcenginegrafx.net/blueshadows.html
>>
>>3013293

>Maybe I'm just looking too much on the bright side, being too optimistic?

No, you're American. None of your opinions are at all surprising.
>>
>>3013304
I fucking wish I was American, I could buy all the guns I wanted (almost).
>>
>>3013301
nic rox? more like nick sux...
>>
>>3012980
>-Games "age" poorly.
This actually happens though.
>>
>>3013149
Well, no good emulators.
>>
>>3014132
You mean no emulators on Android.
>>
>>3013179
>>3013243
You had two choices in FF8. Learn to game the system and spend hours upon hours in the menus, or spend hours upon hours upon hours drawing spells from enemies. I didn't enjoy either option, and without a guide the GF refinements are... learning intensive.
>>
People who rant about Nintendo's licensing policies on the NES. Do they not realize that Sega did the same thing until EA reverse engineered the Genesis and forced them to change?
>>
File: y_tho.jpg (4KB, 174x174px) Image search: [Google]
y_tho.jpg
4KB, 174x174px
>Opinions
I bet you like echo chambers
>>
>>3015880
Ups, meant to >>3012980
>>
>>3013301
Nick Rox is a faggot. Always was.
>>
>>3016313
He's a literal furfag, that's for sure.
Thread posts: 104
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.