[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is this game so overrated? Is Super Metroid any better,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 111
Thread images: 7

File: Metroid.jpg (197KB, 701x960px) Image search: [Google]
Metroid.jpg
197KB, 701x960px
Why is this game so overrated? Is Super Metroid any better, or just hype?
>>
>>2989860
>Why is this game so overrated?
zero mission made it inferior

>Is Super Metroid any better
yeah
>>
>overrated

Get with the times, the new masterbait buzzword is "aged"
>>
File: this-kills-the-conrad.jpg (20KB, 256x256px) Image search: [Google]
this-kills-the-conrad.jpg
20KB, 256x256px
>>2989860
> Not one but two muscle-memory buzzwords
> Contrarian "opinion" lazily maskeraded as a discussion attempt through awkwardly pointless question phrasing

Just coming back after a couple of months and /vr/ is now in full 4chan gear
>>
>>2989949
This, but I will humor you OPee.

>Overrated
It's really not. Most casual players moan at the lack of a save (in the western version) and no easy way to refill your health. People love the atmosphere and it was pretty innovative to have a game that huge on the NES.

In just about every way. But the NES game is the pioneer and should be respected.
>>
>>2989860
Actually only ever played Metroid II (my first), Super Metroid (only about halfway through) and Prime 1 (about a quarter to halfway through).

Metroid 1's on 3DS VC, right? I should download it.
>>
File: 1408445088409.jpg (79KB, 296x307px) Image search: [Google]
1408445088409.jpg
79KB, 296x307px
>>2990102
>Posts Zero Mission Samus
>Talks about buying from VC

Prime 1 also has the original Metroid as an unlockable too.
>>
>>2990113
>Prime 1 also has the original Metroid as an unlockable too.
Oh yeah, I think I new that. I'd rather play it on my handheld tho.
>>
>>2990075
The save system is no issue because the password system is just fine and not as obnoxious as it could be. Also I never understand the whole "casual" thing. I mean you play games to have fun, casually right? If games were a chore why play? Unless you mean brainless.
>>
>>2989949
It's just in the weekends. Normal days kids return to school and have to study
>>
>>2990113
Zero Mission also has a port of Metroid with a proper save system!

Fuck, not only does Zero Mission pretty much perfect the original formula, it also gives you the best version of the original game.
>>
>>2989920
>zero mission made it inferior

>this is what complete plebs with shit taste actually believe
>>
>>2990113
>Prime 1 also has the original Metroid as an unlockable too.

no., it has an inferior PORT of the original Metroid
>>
>>2990384
Not that anon, but what's inferior about it?
>>
All metroid games are overrated trash for nintoddlers. Keep this shit off /vr/
>>
>>2990405
No
>>
>>2990380
The original Metroid created a gameplay style that Super perfected, but Zero Mission streamlined that and added additional depth atop the classic map.
>>
>>2990405

Agreed, Metroid was actually a series made with Japanese Black Magic to make american kids betray their nation and adore Japan.

Did you know, Hiroshi Yamauchi, the former president of Nintendo, wasn't actually a human bean? His body was a vessel that enclosed 7 oni from 7 different regions who sodomized the entire nation with their monopolistic, tyrant evil doings.
>>
>>2990560
A false being who wished nothing but disorder and power to ensure that their monopoly to be holds strong in even in the darkest days. A human bean you see is one whose power emobodies essences akin to a kami, with courage of a shogun, cunning as a Tanuki, and smart as a Kitsune. He claimed to be this, yet he has lied, which was confirmed as upon his death his soul disbanded releasing the seven oni which took forms in plagues and curses that would soon take his successor. An act from beyond the grave to ensure that his presence will forever be known, and that his evil shall never die out.
>>
>>2989860
/v/ be gone...be gone I say...back to the abyss.
>>
>>2989860
One thing that put me off so many NES shooters is that the bullets can't even span the whole screen without disappearing mid-flight.
>>
Play a romhack if you want to experience Metroid with some of the modern features.

http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/1988/

Personally, I would prefer a version that only revealed the map as you found the areas but there isn't one.
>>
>>2990581
He's just curious though anon. I personally am not fond of the original metroid either,or any of the games since I always feel like I'm...missing something, like I left something behind. I should check it out again though. I also once played with the Justin Bailey code. If you just want to dick around and make Metroid your own sandbox then that's the code for you. Makes the game boring though.
>>
>>2989860
Metroid is the reason Castlevania went from hardcore platforming games to casualized dogshit. Fuck ALL Metroidvanias.
>>
>>2989860
Overrated? More like underrated. People dislike Metroid because they suck at it.

That's all Super NES fags are good for; ruining the legacy of other classic Nintendo games that are superior.

Metroid is better than Super Metroid.
Ocarina of Time is better than A Link to the Past.
Super Mario Bros. 3 is better than Super Mario World.
Mario Kart 64 is better than Super Mario Kart.

Get over it, fags.

Yoshi's Island, Final Fantasy III, Mario RPG, and Donkey Kong Country are all good.
>>
>metroid
>overrated

What? Metroid is almost universally thought of as "that game that started off the concept and was really novel for the time, but had plenty of glaring flaws and was far surpassed by its sequels"

How is that overrated?
>>
>>2989860
I get the impression that people aren't allowed to like games they liked when they were children since every fucking game is "overrated".
>>
>>2991592
>glaring flaws
Such as?
>>
>>2990596
Aww look, a modern gamer convinced by his peers that metroidvanias are overrated because they don't want to seem like they just go after the popular games.

>>>/v/ is <--that way, kid.
>>
>>2991606
Not him, but actually, disliking Metroidvanias would make him closer to retro than /v/.
>>
>>2989860
Metroid 1 + 2 are shit, but the rest is legendary. My personal favourite is Metroid Fusion, followed by super metroid and prime 3 (both on equal level).
>>
>>2991606
>getting b8'd this easily

This is why this board has become a joke lately.
>>
>>2991640
>i was just pretending to be retarded
>>
>>2991625
>Metroid 1 is shit
Disgusting.
>>
>>2989860
The Original Metroid was an ambitious game that the hardware couldn't actually deliver.
Metroid II is an action game, more or less
Super Metroid is the game Metroid was trying so hard to be and failing at. It's dark, moody, very well paced, has good exploration tat makes fucking SENSE, etc.
Nothing past that is /vr/, but most of them are actually decent at least.

Special name drop for Metroid Prime, which is the absolute best game in the series (a fact, which none of you assholes are allowed to argue with).
>>
>>2990596

>Castlevania
>Hardcore platforming games

Uh, huh...
They're action games you dolt. They have holes to jump over, but not as many as an actual platformer would. And calling them platformers is like saying that Kirby or Megaman are platformers too.
Just because a game is side scrolling, does NOT make it automatically a platformer, anon. Different genres existed then, believe it or not.

Also, Castlevania are about as "hardcore" as Final Fantasy, lol. They're a big name mainstay in the industry and have been since the very first game. Casuals galore have played and loved them and only retarded "le epic retrooooooo" gamers like yourself think any differently. And that's because old shit like Castlevania actually IS hardcore by modern standards.
>>
This is my least favorite Metroid game desu senpai

I hate the health gimmick, but it's important to play this one to understand the other ones

Kid Icarus was more fun, but not necessarily better
>>
>>2989920
>zero mission made it inferior
HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAA

>>2989860
No anon. No.
>>
>>2991671
>very well paced
Door transitions
Items fanfares
>>
>>2989860
I beat Zero mission and unlocked the orginal. Thought "Oh I'll give it a try!"

Couldn't stand it. Start with like no health, the areas feel infinitely longer, navigating them is a chore, enemies are nigh unavoidable, and everything looks too similar.

I can understand why is was so influential but I guess having played the "Super" games I'm just too spoiled to really appreciate it. It's the first game I feel has aged poorly.

But this is just my opinion.
>>
I never really enjoyed Metroid 1 until I chickened out and used a map I got online. I never do that, but it's my one exception, and it worked out for me, don't even feel dirty about it.

>>2991671
>Metroid II is an action game, more or less
Not really, it's less linear than it's generally given credit for

Also my favorite
>>
>>2993228
It's true anon.
>>
>>2993507
Most people share this opinion, I speculate. And I'd have to agree. Laid a good foundation, but was very rough around the edges and got polished by its successors.
>>
>>2993507
>>2993760
you guys are just modern shitbabbies though
>>
>>2993765
okay
>>
>>2990137
Late as fuck but I didn't mean casual in a bad light. But if someone just picked up Metroid without knowing anything about it in 2016 I think they'd find aspects of it frustrating and un-fun. Whereas someone who knows a lot about and is possibly quite fond of NES games would see a lot more in it.

Just my opinion though.
>>
>>2993787
I mean you don't even understand why people liked the series in the first place and youre claiming a handhold simulator is superior cause you're so new and shitty at viddy.
>>
>>2993507
your first console was the n64 and your first handheld was the GBA. Your opinion doesnt mean shit.
>>
>>2993796
And metroid 1 is a walk-through-copypasted-rooms-and-systematically-bomb-every-tile simulator.
>>
>>2989860
It really isn't. I rarely hear people praise it. It's runs into a lot of system limitations.

>Is Super Metroid any better, or just hype?
Super Metroid lives up to the hype.
>>
>>2990137
>The save system is no issue because the password system is just fine and not as obnoxious as it could be.
28 letter passwords are pretty fucking obnoxious.
>>
>>2989860
Super Metroid is a significant improvement.

Age has not been kind to the original Metroid, hence why Zero Mission exists with all its improvements and extensions to the original game.

And to those saying preferring Zero Mission is a sign of shit taste, how does it feel to prefer the ultimately inferior version of an industry-pioneering game?
>>
>>2993827
>B-BUT MUH TWO STATUES THAT GIVE YOU AN INDICATION OF WHERE TO GO
>>
>>2993821
This is as obnoxious as it gets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_owDUBxm7w
>>
>>2989860
Obvious troll.

Although, yes. If the question is:
>Is Super Metroid any better?

the answer is always yes, regardless of context
>>
>>2993765
0/10 if you're going to troll please at least try

>>2993797
Nope, Amstrad PC or if that does t technically count then SNES and Gameboy. Although I fail to see how this matters to anyone but try adds.
>>
>>2993845
because its obvious you just dont like older games.
>>
>>2993852
>metroid has flaws
>UGH CASUAL SHITBABY YOU JUST CAN'T APPRECIATE GAMES MADE BEFORE 1999!!!

Get over yourself. Metroid has been surpassed by its sequels. It's okay to like and appreciate the game for what it is and from a historical perspective, but don't act like it's better when it comes to the gameplay itself. You're just being contrarian.
>>
>Metroid
>overrated

What. If anything it's underrated.
>>
>>2993864
I like legacy of the wizard. Suck a dick nigger
>>
>>2993765
>>2993796
>>2993797
Did I stumble into /v/?

Such passive aggressiveness isn't the laid-back /vr/ I like and remember.
>>
>>2993852
Man I bet you never even played Pong, therefore your opinions don't matter.
>>
>>2994317
have so shitbabbie
>>
>>2994387
Man, I bet you've never even played cathode-Ray-tube entertainment device, so your opinion doesn't matter.
>>
>>2994407
yes i have shitbabbie
>>
>>2993837
Just because it's not as bad as fucking Dragon's Lair doesn't mean it isn't still obnoxious.
>>
This thread reminds me. I need to buy Return of Samus on my 3DS in case a super flare ever fries worldwide fiber optic and digital comm and Gameboy games, like the Kaiju in Pacific Rim who knocks out Hong Kong with an EMP.

I already have Metroid and Fusion. I just need one more Metroid in my 3DS to complete the collection.
>>
This is why I don't talk vidya on 4chan.
>>
Metroid 2 > Metroid 1 > Metroid 3, mostly for pacing reasons.

And all the good Metroid games are off-topic.
>>
>>2996738
But if a solar flare is powerful enoug to fuck that shit up, would it miss your 3DS? And even if it did, how would you charge your 3DS with no power supply? I think you'll have bigger worries.

But also I wouldn't bother, some dude remaking it with Super/Fusion graphics for free on PC. It's what I'm waiting for, not for any particular reason except I like those graphics over black white and 2grey.
>>
>>2996778
>tfw no one ever acknowledges Metroid 2
It's a beautiful game, desu
>>
>>2993507
It takes like 2 minutes to get all your health back while your traveling. Enemies are extremely avoidable. Everything does look similar though.
>>
>>2991679
>Castlevania
>Action, Platformer
>Mega Man
>Action, Platformer
>Kirby
>Action, Platformer
The rest of the world says you are retarded.
>>
>>2997773
>Enemies are avoidable

>Every enemies takes like 6 hits to kill, arm cannon has no range
>Can't crouch to shoot crawling enemies, jump and you'll just hit the roof and land on top of them
>Flying bugs only come out of pipes when your right next to them, can't jump or morph ball quick enough to escape
>Thise guys that fly in a wave motion are nigh impossible to hit with diagonal firing, appear in groups of 3 or more, and wait at the edge of the screen if you try to just let them pass

These limitations are just so frustrating. Yeah yeah I'm a shitbabbie for expecting enemies to die in a reasonable timeframe, or for expecting enemies to fly away when offscreen.
>>
>>2998875
>arm cannon has no range

You missed a power-up.

>Can't crouch to shoot crawling enemies

That's what bombs are for. Or the Wave Beam.

>can't jump or morph ball quick enough to escape

Nah, you just need quick reflexes and you can purposely lure them upwards by jumping.

>Thise guys that fly in a wave motion are nigh impossible to hit

You just need to wait for the right moment and blast the fuck out of them or just use missiles, they're not there for just bosses you know.

But I have to say one thing:

>>2997773
>Enemies are extremely avoidable.

This is downright false.
>>
>>2990590
how do you find anything good on that site. there's no ranking/download/feedback system
>>
When did /vr/ become such a shit-hole?
>>
>>3000054
When it was created.
>>
File: woods.gif (8KB, 96x96px) Image search: [Google]
woods.gif
8KB, 96x96px
>>2989860
It's not. It gets a mixed reception. Of course you will find people who worship this game, but there are just as many people, if not more, who hate on it.
The game itself is just okay, but what it tried to do was incredible:
-The concept of non-linear progression in a huge, mazelike area was novel and interesting. The execution was not quite there yet(no save points, no recharge stations, no map, respawn with only 30 energy, passwords, and so on), but it was(I believe) the first of its kind.
-It established a mood. Playing something like Mario, you don't really feel anything other than joy when you do well or frustration when you don't. Playing Metroid, you feel isolated, and maybe even a little scared. Everything in the game contributed to this: the title screen, the music, the black background, and the gameplay. It's arguably better than Super Metroid in this regard for various reasons, but mainly because of how overpowered Samus is in Super.

>Is Super Metroid any better, or just hype?
Super Metroid makes some major improvements, but I wouldn't say that it's entirely "better". It is definitely a great game, even if it is very easy. It deserves the respect and "hype" it gets.
>>
Super Metroid is the best game on the SNES catalog.
>>
>>3000054
december 2015
>>
>>3001401
>Super Metroid is the best game on the SNES catalog.
Gonna have to disagree with this. Super Metroid's gameplay is total garbage. You're too big, bulky and slow to move and dodge enemies. You simply blast them with missiles. Metroid 1 is way better.

But if we're talking SNES games, gotta go with Yoshi's Island for best game.
>>
>>2989860
yes
>or just hype?
yes
>>
>>2989860

This game is underrated.

This game was on the market for a few months. Only a few people got it. The music is awesome. It is legendary and I never got to play until twelve years later. I don't recall seeing pictures of it in magazines either. This game is underground for pre-internet times, when it came out.

Super Metroid sucks. Not fun at all. Overly complicated. Clunky. First one way more advanced in it's simplicity.

Game is trance-like. Awesome.

Fuck all of you iHateNintedniggers.
>>
>>3001680
This. Metroid 1, gameplay-wise, is way better than Super Metroid.
>>
>>3001680
I was very aware of Metroid when I was a kid and it was new and so were my friends. I rented it, and eventually ended up buying it used.

Impressions at the time:
"WOW I can walk back and revisit areas!" (most sidescrollers were like Mario 1, no going back, and no returning to levels)
"This game is hard!" Back then I only got to and beat Kraid, and that felt like such an accomplishment.

It was far from an underground thing. I probably first knew about Metroid from the pack-in "NOW YOU'RE PLAYING WITH POWER" posters in every Nintendo game box at the time.
>>
>>2989860
Super Metroid is one of the best games ever made. Metroid 1 doesn't hold up today but it was so cool at the time. Super Metroid is almost, almost perfect.
>>
File: Metroid.jpg (484KB, 904x842px) Image search: [Google]
Metroid.jpg
484KB, 904x842px
>>3003789
>Metroid 1 doesn't hold up today
Metroid kicks the living shit out of Super Metroid. You're too bulky and slow to dodge enemies in Super Metroid. You walk into a room and four giant grasshoppers dive all over your ass, so you blast them with missiles.

Metroid 1 is about precision gameplay; placing the player in tough situations that require you to think fast and outwit your foes.

Only casuals think Super Metroid is a better game, because they suck at Metroid 1.
>>
>>2991596
Getting hit by enemies while inside doors
Having to grind health if you die
Only the ice beam is useful
Shit bosses
>>
>>3004423
>Getting hit by enemies while inside doors
Then time it so you don't get hit, casual.

>Having to grind health if you die
How is this a flaw?

>Only the ice beam is useful
Wave beam, cough cough.

>Shit bosses
No. Just no.
>>
Worst game in the series until otherm came out
>>
>>3004440
I'm sorry you hate gameplay!
>>
>>3004445
I hate clunky gameplay.
Every other metroid feels smooth in my hands
This one is obtuse and fights against my attemp to have fun
>>
when i rented this game as a kid i got so sick and had the worst diarrhea of my life. i felt like i was going to die. ever since every time i see this game i am reminded of the worst diarrhea of my life and feeling like there is something seriously wrong with me.
>>
>>3004449
>I hate clunky gameplay
Then do yourself a favor and don't play Super Metroid
>>
>>3004451
>when i rented this game as a kid i got so sick and had the worst diarrhea of my life
Typical anti-Metroid complaint that has nothing to do with the actual gameplay. I expected no less. At least you didn't confess to sucking at the game like most Super Metroid fags do.

Pro-tip: Using all lower case letters only gives yourself away as the same fag.
>>
File: th_barf.gif (213KB, 160x160px) Image search: [Google]
th_barf.gif
213KB, 160x160px
>>3004449
>otherm
>>
>>3004454
i wanted to like the game. this was some kind of operant conditioning that really fucked with me.
i even rented the game later when i was feeling better and it made me sick again.
it was very traumatic, also i don't care about samefag recognition.
>>
>>3004472
Well if you're serious about your condition, then I apologize. But if you're just trolling to disgrace a classic 8-bit gem, that would be distasteful.
>>
>>3004478
It was probably the game giving him diarrhea. Because it so bad it can physically make people with good decent ill.
>>
>>2998904
You browse according to your own interests. It doesn't take that long to see everything or at least everything on your favorite consoles then you just check what's new every once in a while.
>>
>>3004616
>Because it so bad it can physically make people with good decent ill.

Put down the phone, anon.
>>
>>2998875
Enemies are weak depending on what gun you have. Try upgrading. Also, a missile kills pretty much everything in 1 hit except bosses. You know what gives you free missiles, everything. Also six shots takes basically no time to piss out anyway, remember there's a fire button trying pressing it yeah more than once even. Are you relying on holding it down for autofire? Maybe stop.
You don't need to crouch you have a morphball, lay some fucking bombs, retard.
>Flying bugs only come out of pipes when your right next to them, can't jump or morph ball quick enough to escape
Wrong. They come out when you're close not right next to them. They also target your last vertical position and shoot across the screen, they're absurdly easy to dodge and even if you can't, who the fuck cares, keep going.
>Thise guys that fly in a wave motion are nigh impossible to hit with diagonal firing
There is no diagonal firing. Did you mean without? Well, then let me refresh the theme here. No, you're wrong and fucking stupid. Stand the fuck under them point up and shoot them. They die in like 2-3 seconds and are easy to catch up too. You can also damage them while they're on the edge of the screen and they stay where they went off the screen. Also they don't always appear in groups of 3 or more. In fact it's rare for there to be more than 3 on a screen at once unless you've managed to corral an entire halls worth of them together due to being fucking terrible.

Basically your whole response was "I'm fucking awful at games so this game is bad" the post.
It's by no means an unflawed game but your complaints are based solely on being incompetent.
>>
>>2998891
>Nah, you just need quick reflexes and you can purposely lure them upwards by jumping.
You really don't. Their shit telegraphs from a mile away. You don't have to have quick reflexes at all, you just need to have slightly subpar awareness. Meaning the only way to really have trouble for them is be so awful you're hardly paying attention.

Of course one might note that if you stand still and just shoot it they won't respond if you don't pick up the power up and you can just jump over that and keep going. But you know, expecting that piss poor fuck to realize that is expecting too much.

>This is downright false.
This is what's downright false. Literally everything in the game has a pattern and is basically avoidable if you're not just holding Left or Right the entire time like you're trying to speedrun through Mario. The two trickiest enemies to deal with are the fast moving ball and perhaps the arc on the fire spitting dragons. Otherwise basically every enemy in the game is pretty solid for avoiding hits on and pose little challenge themselves.
>>
>>3004423
ice beam is one of the worst beams because it takes longer to kill enemies. It's only use is to jump on top of shit all day and to freeze metroids. Better players actually typically leave it for one of the last pickups in the game before hitting tourian.
>>
>>3004268
>You're too bulky and slow to dodge enemies in Super Metroid.
What? You haven't played SM have you?
>>
>>2990102
>I should download it.
no it's hard as fuck.
>>
Not sure about Metriod, but I found Super Metriod to be average. Most of the enemies are fairly lame so they aren't fun to kill, they are fairly sparse compared to action games, and they are generally easy. The levels while encouraging backtracking and either going horizontal or vertical, are pretty boring from a platforming standpoint. So from both the action and platforming aspects Super Metriod is a dull experience, while not offensive.

When it comes down to it the only thing people come to Super Metriod for is exploration. Exploration is just a time investment, you have to take the time to scour areas, but that really doesn't demand skill from the player, it just demands free time to walk and super bomb everything. Then outside of the ghost ship and the ending area there isn't really anything interesting to explore thus look forward to.

While it looks great and sounds great, it just isn't an entertaining game.
>>
>>3005041

>no it's hard as fuck

Is that supposed to make someone not want to play it? Hard games are fun.
>>
>>3005242
Masochism is fun. Self flagellation sure is fun.
>>
>>3005041
You're talking about a different game because Metroid 1 is one of the easier games on the NES. It's not Kirby easy, but it's pretty easy.
Thread posts: 111
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.