[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does anybody own any devices like these? I'm looking to

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 95
Thread images: 10

File: handheld-emulator.jpg (57KB, 600x390px) Image search: [Google]
handheld-emulator.jpg
57KB, 600x390px
Does anybody own any devices like these? I'm looking to get one but google searching only returns results for the same 2 products and I know there's a wider range of android "emulation devices" out there. Looking to be able to play up to Dreamcast and have physical analog sticks/buttons.
>>
You'll need an android device for dreamcast. I'm not too familiar with the but check out JXD devices... From what I understand they can be shotty quality but the one that looks like a DS is supposed to be good.

This is a good resrouces IIRC.
http://obscurehandhelds.com/
>>
A lot of dedicated emulation devices use ARM-based CPUs, which don't have very strong emulation support. You may be able to play NES or SMS games without any noticeable issues, but SNES or PS1, not so much.

If you're looking to emulate on handhelds, your best options are a PSP-1000 or an Android-based phone. I'd personally just grab a used PSP-1000 as they're ridiculously easy to hack, have solid emulation support aside from SNES, and can handle PS1 games natively. A PSP would also be a lot cheaper than a dedicated emulation device or an unlocked phone.
>>
google gpd xd
>>
>>2984708
don't listen to the psp meme. android emulation is 1000x better
>>
File: 1423976189487.jpg (24KB, 500x575px) Image search: [Google]
1423976189487.jpg
24KB, 500x575px
>>2984675
>16:9 aspect ratio
>on a device made specifically made to play old games
>>
>>2984708
Re: PSP, you don't need a 1000 model, all of them work well. I had a Go which I loved by my large hands didn't
>>
>>2984675
I have a fuckton. Have a look at JXDs if you want analog and DC. Alternatively get a controller for your phone. I have a few of those as well.
>>
File: sony psp street.jpg (136KB, 1278x812px) Image search: [Google]
sony psp street.jpg
136KB, 1278x812px
i had a dingoo which was awesom till the shoulder buttons broke - I emulate on the psp now which does a nice job
>>
>>2984816
The modesl 2000 and 3000 are objectively better than the 1000 anyways, since they have more RAM and can therefore run certain emulators better.

>>2984776
The hardware is also more expensive. Show me an Android machine that's ~40 bucks and can do the same things PSP does.
>>
>>2984795
That doesn't look 16:9 to me? Looks pretty solidly 4:3...
>>
>>2985360
He's not browsing 4chan on his snes using the native 8:7 resolution so things look stretched.
>>
File: Xperias.jpg (100KB, 580x1157px) Image search: [Google]
Xperias.jpg
100KB, 580x1157px
>>2985349
>Show me an Android machine that's ~40 bucks and can do the same things PSP does.
>>
File: jxd s7800b.jpg (157KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
jxd s7800b.jpg
157KB, 1920x1080px
>>2984675
I have a JXD s7800b and I can't complain. While I don't actually use it for Dreamcast emulation, I've tested it once and it seems to run fine.

(Not my pic btw)
>>
>>2984816
>Re: PSP, you don't need a 1000 model, all of them work well. I had a Go which I loved by my large hands didn't

The 3000 and Go aren't as straightforward to hack. As I understand, you can't even power them down without Flashing the internal memory first, or else the system will revert back to a non-hacked state.

If you really think you need the extra memory and processing power, then stick with a 2000. Much less hassle. The 3000 and Go really don't have any technical advantages over the 2000, and I'd argue that the 3000's "improved" screen is actually a downgrade.

And there's nothing wrong with opting for a 1000, for that matter. The screen is more prone to ghosting, but it's not that big of a deal. It's also more durable than the other models. The reason why the 2000 is considered slim is because much of the sturdiness of the shell was removed to create a tighter form factor.
>>
>>2987974
Don't these run some ancient version of Android?
>>
>>2984675
Oh, I actually have that exact device.
It's decent but has a few problems, the most glaring being the analogue nub isn't that comfy to use, and the 320x240 resolution screen is partially obscured behind the bezel.
>>
File: vZtTEqP[1].png (992KB, 1280x1008px) Image search: [Google]
vZtTEqP[1].png
992KB, 1280x1008px
>>2988765
Sure if you keep official firmware like a melvin
>>
File: HxgApmg.jpg (49KB, 1024x683px) Image search: [Google]
HxgApmg.jpg
49KB, 1024x683px
why not just use your android phone and get something like picrelated
>>
Get a N3DS, OP. It can emulate everything up to the 5th gen almost perfectly (some special chip games still give the emulator some trouble), not to mention that it has its own games, emulates GBA too and it's DS compatible.
>>
>>2989821
Because the buttons usually suck big time.
>>
>>2990029
Yes. It's totally the buttons that suck at playing games. lol
>>
>>2988131
>you can't even power them down without Flashing the internal memory first, or else the system will revert back to a non-hacked state.
While this is true, there's an program in your game folder which you can run after restarting which will flash it in a few seconds without having to use a PC at all.
>>
>>2990108
>trying to derail the thread into a pissing contest with your shit
Ignore shitposter
>>
>>2990145
Pointing out that bad buttons on android controllers isn't a thing or even a thing anyone claims except one kid who can't git gud isn't shitposting. It's useful information that can help OP make an informed decision. Sorry the facts pain your anus.
>>
>>2989821

Because I don't want to drain my phone's battery playing vidya.
>>
>>2992001
Good point. If only there was a way to resupply power to your phone battery so that this wasn't a problem. I bet if someone made such a device they'd sell millions.
>>
>>2989042
Not to mention, no one updates emulators for it anymore, though the existing ones are decent, especially with overclocking.
>>
>>2984708
>PSP-1000
FUCK OFF
nobody should *ever* use a psp-1000. 2000, 3000, and GO are fucking great and all completely hackable.
>>
>>2988131
3000 user here. If you power up your PSP, you just quickly run 'fastrecovery' on the PSP menu, which reboots it into modded mode. It takes two seconds and works amazingly well.
>>
>>2992242
Right, because being tethered to a wall to recharge your depleted battery is convenient 100% of the time. Dumbass.
>>
>>2993604
So carry a second battery.
>>
>>2993609
These are smartphones, not gameboys.
>>
>>2993614
IPhone user detected
>>
>>2993614
Get a phone that lets you take out the battery, then.
>>
>>2993650
>>2993667
>wanting to tote around extra batteries all the time

Cargo shorts wearing neckbeards detected
>>
>>2984765
got one on friday, stopped working a few hours later.. I just contacted the reseller in aliexpress and I hope they send me a new one.
>>
ay man can u play gonky bong on that thing
>>
>>2984708
I don't buy that though, about emulation on ARM. People emulate PS1 acceptably on raspberry pi 1s with minimal tweaking, and smoothly on the pi2 with no tweaking. None of the R-Pi devices are regarded as powerful ARM systems either, and are outperformed by mainstream Android phones. By extension, an android ARM based emulation handheld should do fine, as long as it has a reasonable SoC in it.
>>
>>2989821
Cumbersome as hell. Almost no better than just using a BT controller with the phone. Also, this is a good way to drain all your battery on the train to work, and have no usable picking the rest of the day. I've done it.
>>
>>2993869
Released in 2003? Had there been an update? Newer version with a contemporary SoC?
>>
>>2989821
Because the input lag from the controller and Android's audio latency issues make retro gaming on them completely miserable.
>>
>>2984675
I have that one OP and it is pretty nice. The thing is that is been discontinued for years. The closer is the gcw zero (which they just stopped doing I think). Never tried those android things.
>>
>>2993691
I've carried an extra battery in my wallet for a year now. It's really not a problem. It's way better than having to carry around a charger and cable.
>>
>>2984795
That's not the problem, the problem is that it only had an analog stick when most retro games used the D-pad.
>>
>>2987974
Can those play Ps1 and psp games?
>>
>>2994445
My phone's case has been my wallet for over a year. It's fantastic to carry less. But even when I did carry a wallet, no way I could have fit a battery inside of it... Is this a wallet or a purse you're taking about that fits an extra battery?
>>
>>2994468
Yes. PSP pretty much requires overclocking but they can pay PSP games a hell of a lot better than PSP can play Android games.
>>
>>2984708

PSP 2000's are ok too.

I used to have a hacked PSP and it ran SNES, NES, GBA, PSX, etc. games perfectly. It's the perfect emulation device desu
>>
>>2984816

I hacked my PSP 2001 back in '09 and back then it was ridiculously tricky to hack. How easy is it to hack GO's these days? Thinking of getting one for handheld emulators
>>
>>2994939

>desu

I have no idea why that was in my post. Ignore that
>>
>>2994468

Unh, yeah...?

Literally any shit can run those.

Heck, I defend the PSP, we have threads like this all the fucking time, and even I know this. Emulators dude, they just work
>>
>>2994963
Spotted the newfag
>>
>>2994963
>baka
>>
Does anyone have any experience with the Wikipad?
>>
>>2984675

A perfunctory google search showed me a 5 inch "GPD XD Game Tablet" for about 100 british pounds. Can't paste link but it looks great. A clamshell, Nintendo DS sized full android tablet with 2GB RAM... chinese of course. Reviews are positive. Has anyone experienced it?
>>
>>2984795
a 4:3 lcd would actually raise the price
>>
>>2996074
sauce?
>>
>>2996392

Economy of scale.
>>
>>2995806
With Android you can just go by the specs and Wikipad's aren't as good as Shield's by a damn site which is a shame since Wikipad's controller is so nice. They should really make a wikipad 2 that will fit the controller.
>>
>>2990029
I actually have that specific controller (in black), and the button and especially D-pad feel really surprised me in a positive way, with the perfect amount of resistance and no pointless, awful gimmick shapes like Sega and Sony seem to fucking love; just a solid continuous +. As someone who's owned a lot of console and PC pads over the years I'd take this D-pad over ANY but an SNES's.

Also since others brought up power concerns, there basically aren't any. It lasts a super long time (you have to spend your entire day in bed playing games to run it out), doesn't touch your phone's power supply, and comes with an oddly nonstandard 4-foot charging cable that I now use with my phone because apparently Chinese factories were the only ones who didn't get the memo on microUSB-to-USB cables needing to be pointlessly short.

I genuinely expected this pad to be a waste of my pocket change, and it wasn't.
>>
File: 2014-03-03-gcwzero.jpg (78KB, 500x317px) Image search: [Google]
2014-03-03-gcwzero.jpg
78KB, 500x317px
This one seems to be pretty legit looking. The GCW Zero. It doesn't seem like I can actually buy them anywhere though. The two North American retailers seem to be out of stock, and I don't know if this device is still being manufactured.
>>
File: 1453130069239.jpg (51KB, 640x423px) Image search: [Google]
1453130069239.jpg
51KB, 640x423px
>Gamepark is no more
>Pandora is no more, successor still not out
>dingoo out of production

Truly our world is a cruel one
>>
>>2997315
Just because the pandora is no more doesn't mean the 1ghz model stopped existing.
>>
>>2997315
>got them all
>dozens of superior chink shit available
>got a bunch of them as well
Truly your world is a <insert insult here> one
>>
>>2989821

those buttons look like they'd get sticky within a week of playing
>>
Don't u guys have monitors or tvs
>>
>>2984675
If you like the feel of it in your hand, and only want to play ps1 and below, a psp go is GOAT for emulation.
Had mine for several years and still play it erry day.
>>
>>2997569
The idea is portable. Play on the train or bus on the way to work. Or from the pooper. You could do that to.
>>
File: DSCN5600.jpg (2MB, 2000x1298px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN5600.jpg
2MB, 2000x1298px
>>2996783
So I did some more research. Looks like a second batch should be available at some time in February. Looks pretty good, although the first line of production had some issues with sticky buttons.
>>
>>2996074
Protip: Moto Flipout has a 640x480 native 4:3 screen
>>
>>2996783
>>2997845
I backed this on Kickstarter (2013) and still haven't received my unit, don't get your hopes up.
>>
>>2989821
Because I would rather have a big brick that has better battery and better buttons than that thing. Also the fact I don't want to use my phone.
>>
I'm waiting on the Dragonbox Pyra, it'll be expensive but as a game dev. it'd be pretty easy for me to port my linux releases across since it's running debian and have none of androids latency issues for emulation.
>>
>>2997967
>$600
>>
>>2997967
>claims to be a game dev
>spouts android latency meme
Won't be holding my breath to play your awesome new retro style pixel art games that will never happen faggot.
>>
>>2997943
For real? That's awful. I saw a lot of people talking about their units and some were available to purchase at online retailers. That's pretty shady, like they're trying to get more money from retailers before giving the backers their units.
>>
>>2987974

So serious question, because this always gets ignored in these threads.

How good is this as an emulation machine?
>>
GPD XD or get an ipega controller for your phone.
The Pyro is going to be the best solution but it's going to cost as much as a high end desktop machine.
>>
Anyone else hyped for PocketCHIP?
I wonder how hard you can push the hardware with emulation
>>
>>2999779
Mediocre with factory firmware, decent witch custom firmware and overclocking.
>>
>>2999818
Nope.
You can "push the hardware" exactly as much as you can with any of the existing systems based on the same hardware that are cheaper by the time you add all the bits you need to make a chip usable.
>>
>>3001180
PocketCHIP is fully useable as is.
Look it up anon
>>
>>2997967
i just found out about this a few days ago, and I've become pretty excited about it. It sounds like it will emulate up to Dreamcast and Saturn pretty effectively, and since it has a modular designs, relatively cheap upgrades may very well enable further Gen 6 emulation. It sounds like even 3DS emulation may be possible for it in the future.

Though looking at some of the alternatives in this thread, I have to wonder if it's a cost-effective choice. Hell, if I can spend 10 bucks on an Xperia Play and play all the PSX and GBA I want, even if I miss out on several console libraries, it may be a better choice. And I wonder if any of the other devices here can emulate Saturn or Dreamcast for much less. I wonder, still, are those other devices cheap pieces of shit that will stop working before long? I hardly know where to start looking. I just know that Pyra looks really promising. I'm itching for a final price and release date. Is anybody else following its development?
>>
please respond :^)
>>
>>3001445
>a computer is fully "useable " without a power supply.
Top kek kid
>>
>>3000993

Any guides you care to share anon?

If not I'll search them up tomorrow and share with my good anon friends.
>>
>>2984675
I own a Wiz. It's not that good. I use my psp now.
>>
>>2996783
>'b' and 'a' in correct position
>'x' and 'y' reversed
Why?
>>
>>2988006

that thing is an overweight piece of shit that will give you arthritis. seriously just read a review that isn't by this shill that posts the same piece of shit in every handheld thread.
>>
I just bought a cheap PSP slim to emulate with. I always hear how great it is, so I'm looking forward to trying it out, especially with PlayStation games.

A quick question. Would a PSP 3000 silicone/hard case fit my 2000? A buddy of mine sold his 3000 and has a bunch of accessories I can probably take next time I'm over.
>>
>>2984708
>Arm doesn't have very strong emulation support

What a load of fucking horse shit.
>PSP
Arm devices can literally emulate PSP. Perfectly.
>>
>>3002185
Hit up xda-developers for all that type of shit. They're the OGs.
>>
>>2999602
Their excuse was that shipping out one giant box was a lot easier than shipping thousands of little ones.
>>
>>3002581
Its the first time I've posted about this handheld actually. I'm aware vr in general hates this device for some reason and will try to degrade it as much as possible (or maybe its just the same fag bashing it everytime who knows). But even then I don't care; that won't stop me from giving a good advice.
Funny thing is, this "piece of shit" is just one of the best handhelds in terms of emulation accuracy. And no it won't give you arthritis. Unless you have the weak hands of a little queer, then it might be possible.
Thread posts: 95
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.