[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does /vr/ play Roguelikes? By which I mean... >Procedurally

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 112
Thread images: 12

File: ncXByBEpi.png (11KB, 297x298px) Image search: [Google]
ncXByBEpi.png
11KB, 297x298px
Does /vr/ play Roguelikes? By which I mean...

>Procedurally generated dungeon crawling
>Simple ASCII graphics with optional graphical tilesets
>D&D-style character leveling
>Turn-based combat
>Permadeath

I just learned that NetHack recently had an update (holy shit!) and got all nostalgic for the days when I used to spend hours trying to reach the Amulet and ascend.

So, what are your favorite Roguelikes? Got any cool/funny/desperate stories?
>>
Shiren the Wanderer and derivates are the only ones available for consoles, right?
>>
>>2975749
Not quite

http://www.roguebasin.com/index.php?title=Console_roguelike
>>
>>2975759
Interesting, too bad half of them are Mistery Dungeon family.
I've heard of Milandra but it seems to be extremely difficult and not actually good.
>>
POWDER is a good roguelike to start out with, in my opinion. It was written as a homebrew for the GBA originally but can be found on retro platforms like the Amiga. I'm sure just a mention of the previous console is enough to have me shouted at.

Really good as an introduction to the genre as the game has a smaller scope while still hitting all the right notes.
>>
>>2975676
I dabble in tales of mag'eyal from time to time.
>>
>>2975676
The only roguelike I enjoy isn't retro. Pixel Dungeon
>>
>>2977070
It is a good game all the variations on the app store are good as well.
>>
>>2977070
>>2977087
Didnt they kinda copy it off Brogue
>>
>>2977070
damn fun game
>>
Rogue. Just a lot of plain old Rogue, on VT100 terminal emulator. I once got the amulet, but didn't make it back out.
Also tried Hack, it's pretty good too, but some of those classes are weak in the beginning. Yeah, this game lets you choose your class. In Rogue you're just a regular fighter, always.
>>
>>2975676
Too bad NetHack 3.6 is trash.
>>
>>2979061
Why? It nerfs Elbereth, pudding farming, credit cloning, and magic cancellation. That's most of the major problems fixed right there.
>>
>>2979078
That essentially ruins the sandbox game for advanced players. I'm an 11-conduct ascender of record but did like playing with item generators and reliable monster wards. Now those two tools have been removed in the interest of making the linear game more challenging. Yet the interface changes are all training wheel bullshit.

NetHack 3.6 is an abomination. Fuck the new DevTeam. Mike Stephenson should be ashamed of himself.
>>
>>2979089
>devs decided to change minor details
>game becomes abomination

I started playing again yesterday, but I still need a list of the commands. Maybe, someday, I'll be able to actually go with the ascii graphics.

I really wish there would have been an RPG (not just dungeons, but an overworld, too) for the GameBoy with a somewhat similar approach: simple graphics, yet in-depth gameplay.
>>
>>2979295
>but I still need a list of the commands
press ?

>Maybe, someday, I'll be able to actually go with the ascii graphics
No anon, you are the abomination.
>>
File: hbo-curbyourenthusiasm-header.jpg (32KB, 500x278px) Image search: [Google]
hbo-curbyourenthusiasm-header.jpg
32KB, 500x278px
>>2975676

>tfw your favorite roguelike will never be finished

check out IVAN if you haven't already
>>
also some roguelikes can rise again as zomfies

http://www.incursion-roguelike.net/
>>
>>2979061
Shit, i had no idea it even got updated.
>>
>>2979853
I want to get into roguelikes, and so far I like the look of this one and nethack.

Any opinions on the differences between the two?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fWMKNKqUmM

I played a lot of the shareware version of the DND roguelike as a kid. There's nothing quite like pressing the wrong button and summoning a demon outside of combat and being dragged back to hell with it. Loved that game.

More recently, I rolled a JP-only Gameboy game, Cave Noire, in the Gauntlet, and it was simple but fun.
>>
File: Azure Dreams.jpg (36KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
Azure Dreams.jpg
36KB, 300x300px
I dare anyone to think of a better rougelike.
>>
>>2975676
Been playing NetHack since before it had the Net on the front. It's kinda tedious and overwhelming now. For a "big" RL I'll play DCSS or Cataclysm Dark Days.

I actually really like the way the roguelike community explores what a roguelike actually is. This comes up with fantastic "coffee break" roguelikes and roguelikelikes such as DoomRL, RogueLite, Hoplite.

The community is fairly close but inclusive, as a result is really thriving with something for everybody - old and new, hardcore and casual - almost always in development.

It's a great time to be into roguelikes.
>>
>>2980042
Any recommendations on the "coffee break" rogue likes? Preferably ones that implement d20?

I've loved d20 ever since I played NWN2 but I feel like I can't get too in-depth with stuff. Just life and all. Thus, the "coffee break" preference.
>>
>>2979061
>>2979078
>>2979089
>>2979295
>Actually reading through the Nethack update
Wow this is even worse than i imagined.
Elbereth not working in Gehennom? Wow i just LOVE being faceraped by Liches, Master mind flayers and fucking Demogorgon
Elbereth onl works if engraved as the first word, doesn't protect items placed on top of it, and even burned elbereths can now deteriorate? Fuck yeah i love losing my sokoban bag to a random gelatinous cube.
Magic cancellation 3 is only provided by the cloak of protection, and every other piece of armor gnow gives MC2/1? Well i sure hope you didn't like variety, because with this you're fucking obligated to wear a ring of protection THE WHOLE FUCKING GAME
New minetown and medusa layouts? That's great! Oh, the only new minetown is completely destroyed with no shops available, and one of the two new medusa islands can have you petrified unless you wear a blindfold as soon as you enter? Golly gee, it's not like i wanted to use some of this stuff, 10/10 additions
You can't levitate while on the plane of water anymore? I hope you like waiting for two hours before the right bubble decides to merge with the one you're in.

They managed to not add a single good thing, while ruining most of the game. Good job devteam, i'm actually mad
>>
>>2979963
Nethack's draw is that it's really "simulationist" where a lot of things have strange interactions with each other and you need knowledge of those interactions to raise your chance of winning the game.

Incursion is a Roguelike for people who like thinking of character builds and trying to make them work, since it uses a tweaked D&D 3E ruleset
>>
>>2980078
>Magic cancellation 3 is only provided by the cloak of protection, and every other piece of armor gnow gives MC2/1? Well i sure hope you didn't like variety, because with this you're fucking obligated to wear a ring of protection THE WHOLE FUCKING GAME
Or wear a cloak of protection, MR is easy to get from artifacts, displacement is nice to have but not essential. MC was almost irrelevant previously because you'd just rush to MC3 and then ignore it.
>You can't levitate while on the plane of water anymore?
Water breathing + swim.
>>
>>2980058
DoomRL, Infra Arcana, Brogue -- but none are D20

Most roguelikes are vaguely based on old DnD or made up from scratch

Sil uses d20 rolls for most things but it's not based on the D20 system
>>
Is it worth it getting into Nethack if I'm not autistic and don't plan on memorising/writing down weights of items so I can know what they are without identifying them?
>>
>>2980078

You know.. you could always play an older version.

Just sayan.
>>
File: powder roguelike Levelup.png (16KB, 513x385px) Image search: [Google]
powder roguelike Levelup.png
16KB, 513x385px
>>2980058
One of my favorite all time roguelikes is Powder. It's pretty quick as games of the genre go, but there's a lot going on and it has a very interesting leveling/class system where you worship different gods depending what class you want to base your play around. But all the gods are always watching what you do and inevitably some will get pissed at you. It's a fantastic game.
>>
>>2980791
Can you give me some Powder tips?
>>
>>2980801
Worship H'ruth, disregard spellcasting

Zap wands at monsters to identify them. Save potions and scrolls until you have a bunch, then read scrolls until you find the scroll of identification.

Examine enemies, do not attack ones that are not hostile, except occasionally for food.

Do not allow yourself to become hungry. Hungry means no regeneration.
>>
>>2980819
>Worship H'ruth, disregard spellcasting
I actually think this is one of the hardest ways to beat the game. Spellcasting in Powder is extremely powerful.

H'ruth is handy in that he can teach endure hunger (along with Pax) which is extremely useful. But also keep en eye out for his book because that's another good way.

>>2980801
In general, I recommend always being careful about what you attack. Enemies spawn based on what floor you're on, how long you've been there and your level. Level is quite important. If you attack everything you see you'll start running into really nasty shit like Soul Suckers and elementals too early.

I recommend dropping a useless item and zapping a wand on that first, if that doesn't do anything then try it on yourself or something weak. The wand of polymorph is one of the most useful in the game, but can also fuck you over if you accidentally poly a mouse into a lich.

You want to start identifying potions early. Start with either clubs or arrows, that will identify acid, greek fire and poison which are what you want to avoid most. After that try wands or a book you have that you want more charges out of. Mana potions will restore charges to wands and books and as such are extremely useful. After that you can just drink them and see.

If you are quaffing potions, always do so at full health. Drinking a health potion when you're healthy will increase HP. The same is true of mana potions for your magic, but it's usually a waste.

cont
>>
>>2980837
cont

As far as class/gods go, Wizard, Rogue and Cultist are the ones I find easiest. You have more options for exploring and choosing what to find and what to avoid which becomes more important the further you go.

I especially like Cultist for a couple of reasons. For one, I think it's interesting having what you're allowed to do get switched up. It also means if you're careful you can get a lot of favor with him. When he's mimicking wizard or rogue, then identify things and cast spells. When he's fighter or barbarian go hit stuff etc.

Also Xom's will shifts constantly all the time but you only know what it is if you follow him. It can be a real kick in the teeth to have him gain a ton of favor with you because he was mimicking the wizard god and then have it all backfire when he switches.

Finally, only Xom the cleric god Pax can bless regular bottles of water into holy water. Holy water is one of the most useful items in the game and getting a bottle of it to make more should be one of your early to mid game goals.
>>
File: screen_4 (1).png (30KB, 1192x732px) Image search: [Google]
screen_4 (1).png
30KB, 1192x732px
>>2975676
>So, what are your favorite Roguelikes?
Armoured commander by far is my favorite, being the most original theme (you are a WWII tank commander). I don't really play others much, though i had some good time with Cataclysm DDA, DoomRL, a bit of ToME and Brogue.

http://armouredcommander.com/
>>
>>2980931
sounds really cool. I like apocalypse and the rouge survivor I think it was called.
>>
>>2980941
cataclysm I mean.
>>
>>2980850
If you're winning POWDER leveling up only as a Wizard you must teach me your ways

>>2980931
>my favorite roguelike is a week old
Hi, developer of that roguelike

I wish you luck
>>
>>2980690
I'm kind of getting the feeling that Nethack has become too hardcore, judging from these posts.

I'll be trying to get into Incursion, since I like the UI and the DnD aspect.
>>
Honestly my favorite is Azure Dreams. I admit it has everything to do with nostalgia.

As far as more traditional types go, I play dungeon crawl stone soup sometimes
>>
>>2982315
NetHack has become effete due to the fork devs being recherche, loud, and persistent in their myopic insistence.

It died at 3.4.3 and should have been left alone rather than having its corpse defiled.
>>
>>2980765
The radicals should have been satisfied with forking, but their forks weren't popular and didn't get enough attention. One attention forker even named his shitfest "NetHack4". Even that didn't get enough attention to satisfy them, so they had to take over the institution itself. It's disgusting.
>>
>>2982476
>>2982521
why would anyone play vanilla over a fork

>>2982315
>I'm kind of getting the feeling that Nethack has become too hardcore
>I'll be trying to get into Incursion
yikes, let us know how that works out
>>
>>2981589
I've never done a successful POWDER run where I stuck to one god the whole time, I usually like to do a bit of Pax or Xom in hopes of getting a holy water and maybe getting taught endure hunger.

Basically though, here's my Wizard strategy. The most useful spells you absolutely want to get are Blink and Possess. Teleport is good, but it's well worth upgrading to Blink because it's cheap to cast and you can Blink inside of walls which is a huge help. If you blink into a corner, you're safe from most attack but can still retaliate with spells, wands etc.

Possess is your other most powerful tool. For one, it's the best way of dealing with Liches, Ghosts and Soul Suckers which some of the biggest threats. Liches and Soul Suckers are fairly hard to possess, but once you do you can forget their spells and they're completely neutered.

But Possess is great on everything and lets you make your way through the dungeon attacking as little as possible. You can use possessed monsters to explore areas for loot or send them to fight something else while you slip past to the stairway. Finally, Possess works on everything, including the Minotaur, Golden Tridude and even Baezl'bub. You can have him drop his heart for you to pick up and not even have to kill him. Those two spells are pretty much enough to beat the game with if you're careful.

As with most classes in Powder, but Wizard especially you want to avoid as much unnecessary combat as you can. Leveling too quickly and spawning powerful monsters too early is one of the main things that will get you killed. At first only kill to keep yourself out of Starvation and go for weak, low XP things like rats and cave spiders. If/when you get Endure Hunger then only level up when you have something you want to learn. Wizard is good for that because they have a lot of tools to avoid things.

Now for some other useful spells and tips in the next post.
>>
>>2983284
cont.

First off, dressing as a Wizard is incredibly helpful. Even if you're not a wizard, but are using spells the MP regen makes a huge difference. Also it will make Belweir happy with you and a high chance he'll start gifting you with a staff or two.

Detect Curse is the other super handy spell for any class. Identify is great too, but Detect Curse is a real life saver. It lets you test out shoes and amulets without worry. Also, Identify costs 50xp in addition to mana, so you can use it to keep you levels in check while still attacking. VERY HANDY!

Without Blink, Dig and Entomb make a slower but also effective method of avoiding a lot of the worst shit you'll come across. Also they're an easier way of making an Earth Hammer which is extremely useful. Wizard Eye is good as well, not as useful but if it's what you have access to it works in a pinch.

As for attack spells, Sticky Flames is very good especially early on. Chain Lightning is incredible, but very dangerous if you're not prepared. Force Wall is also very good. The other attack spells are mostly lackluster, but will get the job done. Success as a Wizard won't come from nuking everything in sight anyways.

The exception is the acid spells which are almost all more trouble than their worth.

Heal and regenerate are handy, but kind of a waste if you're focusing on Wizard. They're better for fighters and clerics who get stuck in more combat.

Basically, you want to make it as far as you can, exploring fully for items but killing as little as possible. It's good to have either jump or speed boots or teleport by the time you get to floor 10, the big open one. Otherwise it's easy to get ganged up on.

Another quick note on Blink, if can go through the light grey walls like the library that normally can't be teleported through. That's the best way of getting in there.

cont 1 more time
>>
>>2983321
After Belweir's level you'll have access to any skill/spells and a bunch of scrolls under your belt. You'll have a bit of a choice. You can continue being sneaky and Blink/Possessing your way around, or you can start killing and gaining levels. I've done both successfully so it's more your choice and what items you have and how you want to proceed.

Lowest successful run I've done was 2 physical, 5 mental levels.
>>
Incursion and POWDER both look good as hell, surprised I've never heard of them. I gotta get back into roguelikes.
>>
>>2983176
>why would anyone play vanilla over a fork
I kinda liked slashem. Its variants are ok.

The other forks are all garbage
>>
>>2984136
Powder is really one of my favorite roguelikes of all time. I like that it's quick and dirty, a full game will only take 3-4 hours so it doesn't feel like too much of a kick in the teeth when you die on a good run. Which happens a lot.

And the gods system is a ton of fun. Knowing that everything you do is being watched and judged ads even more to the feeling that every single thing you do down to whether you let a mouse crossing your path live or die is important.
>>
>>2984950
Unnethack is better than vanilla. I've ascended an Unnethack convict.
>>
slashem. an extension of Nethack which seems to be more fun/overpowered but it's just as freaking hard as Nethack. Dammit. Have played Nethack for over 20 years now and only finished it 2 times.
>>
>>2975676
Alphaman, GearHead, Elona, CataDDA and Troubles Of Middle Earth are/were my favorites. I yearn for a good rl based on cyberpunk/shadowrun though.
>>
>>2982315
Nethack has always been kind of autistically hardcore in all the weird details you need to know... though I suppose you don't need to MEMORIZE them since you can just look up a chart and shit for weight/price id'ing and all that
>>
>>2985643
>caring about the linear game
that's nice
>>
File: christ okay.jpg (31KB, 305x273px) Image search: [Google]
christ okay.jpg
31KB, 305x273px
>Nethack update

>no DOS binary
>>
>>2985973
the magic of the internet allows us to listen to people angry about things that we would otherwise never see anyone angry about

>>2983339
>Lowest successful run I've done was 2 physical, 5 mental levels.
I've never done a remotely low level run, perhaps that would be an interesting challenge. I've done H'ruth-only and Xom-only and come pretty close to finishing an atheist run (guy hasn't died, just not finished yet). A rogue or fighter run sounds relatively simple, but the others seem almost unworkable without tremendous luck.
>>
>>2986225
Just another symptom of the forkfags' attitude.

NetHack died at 3.4.3
>>
>>2987002
Digest post aside, if you're going to claim that a variant is better than the original you should hold mastery over the original. Otherwise, who cares what you think?
>>
>>2987446
>Otherwise, who cares what you think?
Probably you, considering how mad you are
>>
>>2980078
>Fuck yeah i love losing my sokoban bag to a random gelatinous cube.
Sokoban rewards are now protected by a scroll of scare monster, which does still protect your items. In order for it to get eaten by a gelatinous cube, the scroll would need to be destroyed by a stunned monster capable of shooting fire (either with a wand or breath weapon) firing at the correct door. And, of course, it would have to be generated in the treasure zoo along with the gelatinous cube. If you can't handle the tiny chance that you might miss out on your sokoban reward, you shouldn't be playing roguelikes.

>>2980690
The great thing about NetHack (as opposed to, say, DCSS) is that there is a huge, huge amount of flexibility when it comes to strategy. I could explain this in detail here here, but http://nethack4.org/blog/strategy-headroom.html does a much better job of explaining. It's pretty tl;dr, but it's got some really interesting information if you bother to read it all the way through.

Basically, memorizing the price and weight charts like Bible verses is one of many things you can do to increase your win rate by a very marginal percentage, and there are many other skills you can develop to improve your performance by a much greater margin before you resort to learning every little bit of technical esoterica about the game.
>>
>>2986225
If you only have access to DOS, how are you browsing 4chan? The windows download still has a TTY binary.

If all else fails you could try and compile it yourself. I did that for Ubuntu.
>>
File: alphaman_1.gif (10KB, 640x300px) Image search: [Google]
alphaman_1.gif
10KB, 640x300px
>>2988481
Not same dude, but I used Lynx when I was running DOS on my 486, back in the mid 90's. Also had basic TCP/IP stuff like ping, tracert, arp, netstat, telnet, ftp, finger, etc. that all came as a suite of tools from SimtelNet.

Anyway, Lynx works on 4chan, but the catalog screen is broken (no javascript) and of course the captcha stuff means you can't post without a pass. There's newer DOS web browsers, but I never tried them.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arachne_(web_browser)

Anyway there are some fine DOS roguelikes, such as DND >>2980014 and pic-related. I quite like DOS because it's so simple and thus easy to emulate, and will always be. Whereas binaries produced for more recent OS means it's more a PITA to run those games in 20+ years from now.

In fact, for text mode games, you don't even need dosbox. This amazingly small piece of code does the trick:
http://ioccc.org/2013/cable3/hint.html
He even made an updated version that supports CGA graphics:
https://github.com/adriancable/8086tiny
>>
File: sick-air-combo.png (190KB, 1300x782px) Image search: [Google]
sick-air-combo.png
190KB, 1300x782px
Brogue is crazy
>>
>>2990317
Screwed over by an edge case, I see.
>>
>>2987002
>I've never done a remotely low level run, perhaps that would be an interesting challenge.

Well what I was saying is that it's not a challenge, I find the game is easier when you keep low level. It's one of my favorite roguelikes and I've played it almost nightly for years. There's always some luck involved, but I'd hardly say it's tremendous. Between exploring and wands of polymorph it's usually not to hard to get at least a couple of really useful spells or skills. From there it's mostly being careful. And the fun is working with what you get. I usually base my play in part on what the shoes and hats end up being.

I typically like going more wizardy routs in rougelikes in general though. It's more fun to sneak around doing magic than hack and slash my way through.
>>
>>2975676
I play a few of them. An all-ASCII DOS one (simply called Rogue), an Atari ST one (also called Rogue), and Gateway to Apshai for Atari 8-Bit, though the combat isn't turn-based in that one.
>>
>>2975676
You had me except for ASCII.
Add some sprites to this and you can make a compelling game with anything. I'd play a Spongebob roguelike.
>>
Does liking Pixel Dungeon make me a pleb? Pretty comfy game imho
>>
>>2980042
>It's a great time to be into roguelikes.
Except for all those games that pretend to be roguelikes.
>>
>>2990619
>You see an ".", it is a Plankton named Plankton.
>L
>Plankton are small beings that possess inherent evil and a large quantity of steam within their tiny bodies. They must rely on cunning and subtleness to compensate for their tiny size.
>The Plankton named Plankton is holding a Stolen Krabby Patty, this enemy is encumbered!
>You strike the Plankton named Plankton with the +2 Metal Spatula.
>The Plankton named Plankton uses a tiny slingshot to shoot out the lights!
>It is too dark to see. You are likely to fall into a bottomless pit.
>You light a torch
>You strike the Plankton named Plankton with the +2 Metal Spatula. You have defeated the Plankton named Plankton!
>Your high wisdom makes you realize that you are under water. Your torch goes out!
>It is too dark to see. You are likely to fall into a bottomless pit. There is a Stolen Krabby Patty lying here.
>>
>>2990568
See I always just take whatever xp the game tosses my way, I might have a hard time adjusting. Or I might not. On my Xom-only run I ran into a fire elemental on D6 or so, good times...

>>2990628
I think PD is the most entry-level thing you're allowed to play that still counts as a proper roguelike, you might branch out a bit though

>>2990926
That's more on account of indie steam sale shovelware being cancer in general

>>2990619
everything has tiles anyway
>>
>>2990970
I would play this
>>
>>2991983
>That's more on account of indie steam sale shovelware being cancer in general
Fair point.
>mfw it took like 2 years to go from roguelike to roguelite to 'this is not even roguelite'
>>
>>2975676

Console roguelikes are the only roguelike-like games I've ever been able to get into. I tried a couple of computer roguelikes, but didn't like the progression.

The only one PC game I remember (which may not even be a true roguelike) is Alpha Man. You had a ubiquitous map full of ASCII characters, and each character represented an entire screen. Moving from screen to screen in that manner was just dull and tedious, especially since the environments were all featureless wilderness areas. If there were any cities or explorable building structures, I didn't play long enough to find them.

Can anyone recommend any (preferably graphical) post-apocalyptic roguelikes? I'd like to give this another try.
>>
>>2975676
>>Simple ASCII graphics with optional graphical tilesets
>>D&D-style character leveling

Neither of those are a requirement to be a roguelike.
>>
File: alphaman_3.gif (8KB, 640x300px) Image search: [Google]
alphaman_3.gif
8KB, 640x300px
>>2992624
I don't know many in that theme, just Alphaman (yeah, it does have buildings and stuff) and this one:
http://tzar.sourceforge.net/
I guess you couldl always make your own...
>>
>>2992624
>>2993201
Isn't Caves of Qud post-apocalyptic?

And Cataclysm: DDA, if zombies count...
>>
>>2977070
This is a good game
>>
Anyone try that Privateer based one?
I've forgotten what it was called
>>
Does Castle of the Winds have any features that stand out considering all the RLs that have been released up to this date? Just wondering.
>>
>>2997590
Um, it lets you save/reload I think, which is why I never played it...
>>
>>2991983
Obviously just play however you find the most fun. Powder hits a real sweet spot for me and is not just one of my favorite roguelikes, it's one of my favorite games period. I've no joke played thousands of games of it. I like low level and being sneaky the best but that's just me.
>>
Have any of you fellows played Dragon Crystal? I know it's supposed to be like Fatal Labyrinth and I see it made it to the 3DS eshop, >paying for old games, >paying for roguelikes, yeah but hey i'm dumb and i have a couple dollars burning a hole in my pocket
>>
The only Rogue game I enjoy is Rogue itself.

Follows the KISS principle well.
>>
Is Etrian Odyssey considered a rogue like?
>>
>>3002196
Nope, it's a Wizardry clone
>>
>>2975676

The only roguelike I've gotten into is ADOM. I'm surprised no-one has mentioned it yet.
>>
>>3002258
I used to like it when I was younger but nowadays I get turned off by some of the really autistic design choices like anything involving Cats
>>
>>3002312

I just murder them and don't give a shit about the consequences. I've never even been close to beating it though, so perhaps it's mandatory to care if you really want to beat it, I don't know.

Is the cat king really so hard to beat if you kill a bunch of cats? I've never reached him.
>>
>>3002339
First time I reached the cat king I had killed a bunch of cats. I think I got really lucky as he was able to hit me for over 100 hp per turn, in addition to being really evasive + perma invisible. Used like 7 prayers and 10 healing potions. I recommend avoiding excessive cat killing if you plan on getting far, unless you know what you're doing.
>>
>>3002312
Cats are rare thankfully
>>
File: 31747796_p0.jpg (582KB, 900x1064px) Image search: [Google]
31747796_p0.jpg
582KB, 900x1064px
Is there any protection against the sealed status during Phantom Trials in Shiren the Wanderer? Died there unable to heal and use scrolls, at least managed to save my epic sword and armor by using a jar on the last turns.
My idea is to bring the walls destroying and blastwave scrolls the next time and just charge ahead the exit, but those are pretty rare, maybe there's a better way to survive there?
>>
>>3002196
Etrian Odyssey is really nothing like a roguelike at all. Dungeon Crawlers are in some ways the opposite of roguelikes.

There is Etrian Mystery Dungeon which is one of Chunsoft's semi-rougelikes though. It's not great, but better than their other post Shiren MD games.
>>
>>3002427
Is the upcoming Vita Shiren game going to be any good at all?
>>
>>3002516
I'm not a time traveler so I can't say, but I'm not holding my breath. The first Shiren is their only really great game in the series so far in my opinion.
>>
>>3002562
Oh I thought it was created already and the announcement was just localization
>>
>>3002568
It could well be, I don't really pay attention to upcoming releases. There's too much stuff out already for me to care about what's not out yet. I'd not even heard of it until you asked.
>>
>>3002573
So you just hate new things then? Lovely.
>>
>>3002568
It was, and it's a port of DS game from 2010.
>>
>>3002591
No I love new things. If another Shiren comes out and is great I'll be ecstatic. I've just been disappointed by them enough that I know not to get my hopes up.

>>3002612
If it's another port of the first SF Shiren game then it will likely be good. The DS port is an excellent version of it.

The problem with their newer mystery dungeon games is they have too much persistence which I think kind of ruins the roguelike formula. Some people must like them though, because Pokemon MD games get pumped out all the time.
>>
>>3002618
No, it's a port of DS game. Chunsoft made two new Shiren games for the DS, besides porting the original one.
>>
Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup is pretty neat. I like that you're not locked in to your initial choices that you made in 10 seconds at the beginning of the game. You can completely change your play style throughout the game, especially if you worship someone like Ashenzari who lets you move experience around a bit.
>>
>>3002634
Used to like it until they started on the trend of cutting out more features than they add.
>>
>>3002634
>>>/vg/
NotRETRO!!!!
*spasms*
>>
>>3002634
>You can completely change your play style throughout the game

If you like that I recommend giving Powder a try. It's one of the reasons I like it so much.
>>
File: screenshot.png (14KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
screenshot.png
14KB, 640x480px
Any love for Ragnarok/Vahalla?
>>
File: sweettiles.jpg (101KB, 1281x577px) Image search: [Google]
sweettiles.jpg
101KB, 1281x577px
>>3003691
I have never tried it but that screenshot does make me appreciate ASCII better. Very nice looking roguelikes tiles (or sprites) are rare.

Btw everyone, play roguelikes (including Rogue with sweet tiles) online here http://donnierussellii.github.io/
>>
I used to be really into Sil. Other than that I've never really enjoyed roguelikes.
>>
>>3004059
What's going on in that picture? Looks like ASCII roguelike but with redefined characters, like in the good old BASIC days. For example:
http://www.cpcwiki.eu/index.php/Locomotive_BASIC#SYMBOL_n.2Ci1.5B.2Ci2.2Ci3.2Ci4.2Ci5.2Ci6.2Ci7.2Ci8.5D

That worked because those machines always ran in a graphics framebuffer mode, so all ASCII characters could be arbitrarily redefined into any 8x8 matrix of pixels to form a shape.

This should theoretically be possible on any modern system that uses framebuffer graphics (which is most of them, the days of text-only video cards are ancient history), but for some reason the terminals only allow plain ASCII or Unicode character, rather than allowing arbitrary redefinitions on the fly.
>>
>>3004487
I bet you're a hoot at parties.
>>
>>3004602
There's a github link in that post, I ain't going there. CHECK UR PRIVLAGE SHITLORD!
Thread posts: 112
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.