[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are some retro action RPG games that use a slow, methodical

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 7

What are some retro action RPG games that use a slow, methodical combat system that predates Demon's/Dark Souls?

I've always wondered what are the historical antecedents of these games.

I've been told that Severance: Blade of Darkness is one such early example of a slow, methodical action RPG. I looked up some videos of it and noticed some similarities, but that game is from the year 2000. I was wondering if there are any from before that.
>>
Blade of Darkness is literally what the game copied.

Not retro.
>>
>>2967663
>Not retro
Well, I know. That's why this thread isn't about Dark Souls, but about retro games with a similar style of combat that predates Dark Souls.
>>
>>2967660
Fucking Kings Field ya dipshit.
>>
>>2967664
Well that's the answer, Blade of Darkness.

The King's Field games play nothing like the Dark Souls games. They're incredibly slow. Combat system is dumb as it can get, And the enemies are pretty much just there to be there.
>>
File: Ultima_Underworld_cover.png (223KB, 300x385px) Image search: [Google]
Ultima_Underworld_cover.png
223KB, 300x385px
>>2967660
This is the game that started all.
Then King's Field, Shadow Tower, ST: Abyss.
Blade it's pretty similar but probably wasn't a direct influence but just a coincidence. I mean, i doubt the nips they were inspired on a 2001 spanish pc game, but who knows.
>>
>>2967660
Faxanadu, Tower of Daruga, Cadash. Don't listen to the git shouting about that shit stain Blade of Darkness game. Dark Souls is just an extension of Miyazaki's Kings Field/Shadow Tower.
>>
>>2967668
>All this shitposting at once
Thread has already hit it's limit.
>>
File: 1446497095652.png (88KB, 5000x5000px) Image search: [Google]
1446497095652.png
88KB, 5000x5000px
>>2967682
>>2967689
>Ultima, Faxanadu, Tower of Daruga, and Cadash

It's like you Dark Soul kids are trying to validate your game or something. I don't get it. The comparisons to Blade of Darkness is obvious to any sane individual.
>>
>>2967663
>It's a blade of darkness is le best game evar poster
>>
>>2967698
I don't even think the game is that great, kid. Nor is your console shit Souls game.
>>
>>2967697
Yes any side scrolling Japanese ARPG has more common with Dark Souls than that floaty save anywhere you want garbage.
>>
>>2967709
Well at the very least I'm not someone that supports a devolution in control schemes like using the analogue stick button for the target system.

And yes that game is console trash. It barley plays at 30 fps and they want you to react to shit quickly in it. That game is a fucking barf machine if you spin too quick.
>>
>>2967704
But you can save anywhere you want in Xanadu or Ys 3.
>>
>>2967717
Think I'd rather abort my child then have him play modern console games.
>>
>>2967712
>a devolution in control schemes like using the analogue stick button for the target system.

Not him, but why is it bad to have the analog stick being assigned to choosing your lock-on targets?

What better alternative would you suggest? I'm not shitposting, I'm genuinely curious. I'm not a big fan of Souls, but one thing I've always thought was good about it was how simple and intuitive the controls are on consoles.
>>
>>2967724
The proper alternative of Z targeting. A trigger should always be used for targeting.
>>
>>2967724
'N' - next target
'P' - previous target
Much more intuitive than what this consoleshit 30fps japcrap offers.
>>
>OP image not retro
>King's Field plays nothing like Dark Souls
>It's just a coincidence that KF/ST became Souls after Blade of Darkness
>2D games are like 3D games
>Strawmanning that anyone claimed BoD is a great game, rather than just a modeling influence
>Stick buttons are somehow different from keyboard buttons or other buttons

Are there people actively trying to destroy /vr/ or is it just because of the OP image of this particular thread? Or maybe just extra obvious itt?
>>
>>2967754
>>Stick buttons are somehow different from keyboard buttons or other buttons
You were good till there.
>>
>>2967730
>A trigger should always be used for targeting

That absolutely would not work for Souls systems because L1 and R1 are the weak attacks for left weapon and right weapon respectively, and L2 and R2 are the strong attacks.

Why break up that verisimilitude just for the sake of you thinking that all games with targeting should adhere to some rigid standard no matter how awful it would be?
>>
>>2967757
Tiggers being used for targeting has been established since 5th gen.
>>
Dude mad at dark souls is on the spectrum lmao rekd nerd
>>
File: NUaod[1].jpg (418KB, 2400x1619px) Image search: [Google]
NUaod[1].jpg
418KB, 2400x1619px
>>2967756
It's a button, Nigger. Get over yourself or use the awful K&M controls. Rejecting something based on superficial qualities you're unwilling to learn is the first sign of impending oldness. I bet you still have a phone with buttons.
>>
>>2967769
>It's a button, Nigger. Get over yourself or use the awful K&M controls

Get back to your containment board.
>>
File: DOOM WAS WHITE.jpg (110KB, 1400x1050px) Image search: [Google]
DOOM WAS WHITE.jpg
110KB, 1400x1050px
>>2967770
Fuck you I didn't start this debate but it's chock full of the kind of idiots who unironically endorse the totally counter-intuitive digital 3D controls of KF/ST/Echo Night
>>
>>2967783
>>>/v/
>>
>>2967760
Then please map me out a layout for Souls with trigger-targeting, Winnie, and I'll show you why it wouldn't work.
>>
>>2967790
The post you're replying to is 100% /vr/ related. You just have no rebuttal.
>>
>>2967792
Like I said. Shit controls.
>>
>>2967754
Yeah, nobody would recognize OoT as 3d zelda if it featured different characters. Because it's nothing like 2d games at all. Not to mentioned that most likely it was influenced by some shitty european PC game.
>>
>>2967794

>it's shit because it doesn't use triggers for targeting!
>how would you map it then?
>I wouldn't because it's shit for not using triggers for targeting!

I'm sorry, I didn't realize you were retarded, I just thought you were kind of stupid or something.

HAVE

A

VERY

SPECIAL

DAY

:)
>>
>>2967797
>>2967812
Some special people thinking OoT plays like LttP
>>
>>2967818
>OoT has nothing in common with LttP besides music and story
Some special people post on the internet.
>>
>>2967824
Are you high or just underage? Both?
>>
>>2967667

Thread should have ended here. Actually, it shouldn't have been made at all.
>>
>>2967818
Some special person thinking Souls should play like OoT
>>
>>2967834
Well that would make it a good game.
>>
>>2967794

stop posting
>>
File: secret-of-mana-05.png (400KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
secret-of-mana-05.png
400KB, 640x480px
>>2967830
It's a perfectly acceptable thread, the guy is asking about retro games. Stop being such a retard about it. Just ignore if it triggers you that are. We're not here to only post things that interest you.

>>2967660
My recommendation will be a bit odd because it's very unlike Dark Souls in most ways. Secret of Mana though has an interesting charge system that encourages a more methodical method of waiting and positioning then unleashing a big attack. Some like it, some don't.
>>
what is the bloodborne of retro gaming?
>>
>>2967846

Yeah, sure, it triggers me that people are discussing about Dark Souls' controls and calling each other names rather than actually talking retro games.

But no, wait, I'm the bitch here, I should shut up, right?

Thread has already been answered, the retro counterpart to the Souls games is King's Field.
>>
>>2967856
>King's Field.
Please refer to post >>2967668 made by person with higher intelligence.
>>
>>2967861

It's funny because that poster says that King's Field combat is slow, but that's precisely what OP is asking for, slow combat.
>>
>>2967856
They're asking and talking about old games that are similar to a new one. That's perfectly fine to talk about. If it triggers you, that's your problem.

Also, he's asking for "some" games that have a similar feel to it's combat. There's nothing wrong with giving him more suggestions.
>>
>>2967717

He isn't conscious while he's a fetus.
>>
>>2967861
>Failing to recognize the mechanics from KF and especially ST in Souls
>higher intelligence
Yeah, no. Higher maybe. Not to say BoD wasn't also a clear influence on the aesthetics and pacing of Souls as well though.
>>
File: 764239-dieby.jpg (44KB, 574x640px) Image search: [Google]
764239-dieby.jpg
44KB, 574x640px
Die by the sword is a precursor to games like Severance.
>>
>>2967690
And who the fuck said that?
It's pretty obvious that UW inspired KF, KF inspired ST and ST inspired Souls.
So UW it's the first game i think when i think about historical antecedents of Souls.
>>
>>2967881
If i remember well the development of Blade started in 1996. For some time it was like some kind of Duke Nukem Forever, being delayed year after year.
>>
>>2967901
KF ST & Souls are all FROM so obviously related but Japs love Ultima so you're probably right.
>>
File: screenshot4.jpg (32KB, 312x234px) Image search: [Google]
screenshot4.jpg
32KB, 312x234px
Not withstanding all the shitposting that's going on in this thread...

It depends on how far back you want to go. Although these games don't necessarily feel anything like Souls, Zelda II and Ghosts 'n Goblins were notoriously difficult for their time. Zelda II has some RPG elements, but GnG is strictly a platformer. Faxanadu and Battle of Olympus have similar gameplay to Zelda II.

ActRaiser 2 for SNES is another platformer to look into. The stages are ridden with bullshit obstacles like pitfalls that you can barely clear, and only if you angle yourself a certain way and time the jump perfectly. Some bosses are heavily armored and require you to find their "sweet spot" before you can deal any damage to them. You'll need to rely on rote memorization of enemy patterns to get through most areas.

I would also weakly suggest Demon's Crest, which is a GnG spin-off. The game just isn't comparatively challenging.

As for the 3D stuff, the King's Field series is a sort of spiritual predecessor to Souls. The games enforce a first-person POV and annoying tank controls, but the atmosphere and basic gameplay mechanics are similar. Open-world design, level-ups, lots of variety in your equipment choices, etc. The mechanics aren't so rich that they allow you to specialize in a particular class or set of skills, though.

Then there are several other FromSoftware games based on the same game engine - Shadow Tower series, Eternal Ring, etc. Some of these are PS2, so not technically retro.

Finally, I'd also suggest looking into Vagrant Story for PS1. It's a dungeon crawler with action RPG elements, although actually executing commands doesn't exactly work in a real-time fashion.
>>
I have never played DS but I've grown to enjoy these threads.

>B-but X is nothing like Souls, moron!

I don't care, just throw some cool old spooky hard games at me. I feel like Wizardry fits? It is turn-based, of course.
>>
>>2968084
OP specifically asked for ARPGs. He's already been recommended the From retro catalog which it's pretty sure he'll enjoy. For you, I'd recommend Baroque.
>>
>>2968084
I like that this thread got seriously trimmed, but not deleted. Which should be a clear sign to the guys who complain about threads like this existing.
>>
>>2967940
I'm not sure how much they liked Underworld. Due to the high specs it only got ported to PC-9821 and Towns and finally in 97 to the PS1.
>>
With GOG's version of Severance removed, is there a place to legally digital download it, or do I need to put on my tricorne of piracy?
>>
I've seen king's field.
That shit plays nothing like the DS games, stop being retarded
>>
>>2968273
>I've seen it therefore I know how it plays
>>>/youtube/
>>
>>2967660
>it's an underage vee kid shitpost
>>
>>2967848
What is the Citizen Kane of /vr/?

Anyway, I expected this thread to devolve into shitposting the minute I saw OP's pic. I don't know if it's people who think Dark Souls is a flawless piece of programming or people who are triggered by the game's vocal fanbase, but the original question was very /vr/ and YES, 2D games can feature similar elements to 3D games. Hell, even 2D sidescrollers can. So if anyone has any suggestions that are /vr/ equivalents- likely in regards to combat- feel free to contribute.

Also, how does Dark Souls console targeting work? Is it just stick clicking or does the target change based on positioning? That can be done but not as easily with buttons.
>>
>>2968849
>Also, how does Dark Souls console targeting work?
It's pretty much Z-targeting from Zelda.
>>
Way of the Samurai is pretty good
>>
>>2968849
Click right stick, and if I remember correctly you can switch targets by tilting the stick.
>>
>>2968849

R3 locks on to closest enemy. While locked on, right stick left/right cycles targets within range. R3 again unlocks and the right stick re-functions as camera control.

You'll also learn that targeting in Souls games is often not worth it, as it's easier to get behind enemies without it since your movement scheme and the camera orients around your enemy while using it.
>>
>>2967660
You could try the kaizo hacks for Ocarina of Time.
>>
>>2969138
That's too many button inputs.
>>
>>2967660
>Severance: Blade of Darkness
Well, this is news to me and I must say: wow; it's like I'm literally watching an older version of DaS. Neat, but I think I just lost a tiny bit of appreciation for that series. As a side note I for one think Souls games deserve a free pass to be discussed about on /vr/. Of course, I know this will never happen. But I think they're worthy of discussion here simply for being among the very few modern games that retain that retro feeling. This is one game series that finally, actually resembles something I think a lot of us imagined back when we were younger and thinking about what the future might hold and how awesome vidya would be with more powerful hardware. Considering how awfully things turned out -- pretty much the whole industry is a huge disappointment at this point -- the fact such a game as this could make it to store shelves is downright miraculous. The Souls series are diamonds in a sea of shit. They represent what retro games would be like if made on modern hardware -- what all games should have become in terms of design values, philosophy, etc. They're retro in spirit.
>>
>>2972065
So what are the things in Blade of Darkness that inspired something in the DS series?

1)You can't cut your enemy's body parts off or get your body parts cut in Souls like you can in BoD.

2)In BoD, the bow was a fairly useless weapon, in DS there's a whole lot of ranged weapons to use.

3)No NPCs in BoD, unlike DS.

4)They both have the stamina bar for your characters, but Fromsoft had that one even earlier in the King's Field games.

5)In BoD the characters and their growth are clearly defined, meaning that you can't make a Barbarian out of Knight no matter what you do and Dwarf can't use long sticks as good as Amazon does. And with enough experience you just get a level up with pre-determined growth in HP, Stamina and number of combos your character can use. While in DS your character grows more similarly to Gothic II, I think.

6)Combos and special attacks. There's none to speak of in DS.

7)You cannot upgrade and repair your stuff in BoD.

8)Armor is just an upgrade in BoD.

9)Missions in BoD vs an open world in DS.
>>
>>2970271
How is one too many?
>>
>>2967848
>what is the bloodborne of retro gaming?
Diablo 1
>>
>>2972574
I don't think you've really seriously played Souls since you don't think there are combos or special attacks and I don't think you've played Demons Souls at all since you think Souls games are all open world.

Considering the similarities are both superficially obvious in the aesthetics and deeply obvious in the mechanic you seem to be someone who likes to analyze games JUST deeply enough to be a contrarian. I hate that.
>>
>>2975349
>I don't know how 4chan works
I gotta hand it to the mods, their pruning job turned this into an okay thread. It ran off most of the "Souls is dada greatest game evah!!" shitposters and satisfied most of the retro police without losing the valuable info on retro action rpgs and the meaningful discussion of the Souls games through the lens of their pedigree. If wanting that for the thread makes me autistic then I guess I'm autistic.
>>
>>2967793

What kind of rebuttal is there besides i think the controls are fine?
>>
>>2967981

How the hell would anything but tank controls work in a first person game? You would rather it be so that when you press down you automatically turn around? How would you even know what direction "down" is in a first person game?
>>
>>2972065

Hell no. There's no way to define what is "retro in feeling". It's subjective.
Thread posts: 76
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.