[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do you think it's okay to criticize people playing RPGs

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 6

File: mARIO-RPG[1].jpg (460KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
mARIO-RPG[1].jpg
460KB, 1024x768px
Do you think it's okay to criticize people playing RPGs without an optimized party?
>>
You mean criticize people for having bowser and mellow in party?

No
>>
>>2940537
BUT THE STRATEGY GUIDE I GOT FROM NINTENDO SAID BOWSER IS A KEY MEMBER.
>>
Optimized party? Like a healer, the bruiser, the mage, and your second damage dealer? Not really. Some people like to play different ways so it's whatever. Final Fantasy NES is a good example where you don't have to chooe the optimized party, but any other party in that game besides the Default or Optimized is pretty much "Choose your handicap"
>>
>>2940537
>>2940540
>Not using Bowser

Why not? He's a tank. A balanced party needs a tank.
>>
>>2940541
>>2940543
Well, maybe not always. But it doesn't hurt a balanced party to have a tank.
>>
I'll rather criticize people for reading guides on party optimization instead of trying to figure out things by themselves.
They just shouldn't blame the game when they play like a full retard like having a party composed entirely of ninjas.
>>
>>2940546
Tanks in RPGS always seemed to be overpowered whose handicap is mostly lack of magic, and in other cases speed. But that doesn't seem to matter much because sometimes they just hit things hard and can take hits.
>>
>>2940541
This.
RPGs have little replay value if you're playing them the same way every time. Challenge runs are the best way to extend the number of times you can replay it and get something new out of it.
>>
>>2940585
fucking this. whenever I play through any RPG for the first time, I don't even bother trying to get the best weapons or armor, or any optimizations for that matter.

it becomes tedious to find all the items and boring to go through the game so easily. the most fun I have with these games is when I can beat a challenging battle. most RPGs (that I've played) thankfully make it possible to run through without a bunch of hidden items
>>
File: FurioGiunta-.jpg (105KB, 408x320px) Image search: [Google]
FurioGiunta-.jpg
105KB, 408x320px
>I never used Geno because I thought he looked like a fag

>mfw I want to go back in time and beat the hell out of Teenager Me for trying so hard to be an edgelord
>>
>>2940532
Sometimes i just replay old rpgs(Baldurs, PST, M&M, KOTOR) with troll-parties or roleplay-parties without minimaxing
>>
>>2940532
REEEEEEEE PEOPLE ARENT PLAYING THE WAY I WANT THEM TO

THEY MUST BE OSTRACIZED

Proof that JRPGs are shit and the people who play them are subhuman trash monsters.
>>
>>2940618
Anon plz, he's just asking a question.
>>
>>2940532
Technically the player who is able to win with a sub-optimal party simply because they found the characters more likable is probably the one who is more skilled.

So instead you should criticize people for wanting to be the "best" in a situation where it proves nothing.

Now if the game was competitive, or online, then it would make sense to be optimal instead of having fun.
>>
>>2940682
>replying to /v/fags
>>
File: BALS TO THE WALL.jpg (36KB, 480x272px) Image search: [Google]
BALS TO THE WALL.jpg
36KB, 480x272px
>>2940532
What is this "optimized party" you're talking about, young grasshopper?
>>
Not the best game but I never enjoyed the game
>>
File: 36-813.jpg (273KB, 1305x1083px) Image search: [Google]
36-813.jpg
273KB, 1305x1083px
>>2940537
Where did the whole Mallow-is-bad meme come from? You can turn that fucker into a glass cannon if you go 100% SP for his level-ups. Thunderbolt especially will carry you through the entire game as a huge multi-enemy nuke, along with the fact that he doubles as a healer

I used him and Geno in my most current playthrough, with Geno being a POW dump for level-ups, and the entire game was even more trivial than it is normally
>>
>>2940969
Mario/Bowser/Geno is too badass of a party to not to roll all the time
>>
>>2940532
>Do you think it's okay to criticize people playing
No.
>>
>>2940907
But you can actually type out BALLS in that version!
>>
>>2941006
That just wouldn't feel right, anon.
>>
>>2941000
this, games are meant to be fun and there is no wrong way to have fun gaming.
>>
>>2941018
On the other hand I quit my first run of Seiken Densetsu 3 in Bikanel when battles got too tough for my underleveled All Girl party.
>>
Why the fuck would anyone care?

Most RPGs are easy enough to just play whatever the fuck you want. Why would I make the game easier than it already is?
>>
>>2940532
If it's constructive criticism, then that's okay.

If it's unsolicited advice and you don't think it will be appreciated, then I wouldn't recommend it.
>>
>>2941027
moar grinding?
>>
>>2941529
I just started over and said goodbye to Carlie forever.
>>
>>2941027
Reis with debuffs is easy-modo, you have only yourself to blame

Actually, charged specials and spells will provoke counterattacks that physical attacks won't, that's what makes Angela and Carlie so bad. I hope you learned your lesson.
>>
Most JRPG's that offer party choice are so fucking easy that it doesn't matter what people use.

The -only- time I would suggest someone a set party is in Breath of Fire 3 because you're basically forced to take Momo along for the last half of the game, so you may as well use her and make her good.

Which really sucks, because you want Rei, because Weretiger + Influence (or whatever it's called) is as close as anyone gets to Ryu's levle of broken-ness so it basically means your party is Ryu, Rei, Momo and Garr (who kind of sucks), Nina (who also kind of sucks) and Peco (who is actually severely under-utilized and is an insane tank with a ridiculous counter attack rate) almost never get used except for a handful of situations where you're required to use them for moving a block or some shit.

BoF3 is just poorly desigend.
>>
>>2941551
Yep, Line formation, Rei>Ryu>Momo, shadow walk all day long, there isn't really much nuance to that game at all, it's all in the master system which is kind of irritating to use properly.

but then, Breath of Fire 4 and Dragon Quarter are pretty much perfect mechanically, I can't find any flaw at all.
>>
>>2941551
>tfw I split up my team by gender completely by unintentionally and made the game needlessly hard in Final Fantasy VIII

Well, I survived but I limped through it. What an asinine way to play.

In the very least I should have given Selphie to Squall and Irvine and had Zell hang out with Rinoa and Quistis.
>>
>>2941648
>Made the game needlessly hard
Only way you could fuck it up is if you didn't do junction exchange which the game -always- tells you to do.
>>
>>2940532
Sometimes the optimal party member is a faggot while your favorite isn't the best. I say go with what's more fun
>>
Who cares? Unless you're playing a hack where the enemies have 10x hp, defense, attack, etc. it won't matter...

The game is easy as hell. Besides there's only 2 people you can't place on your team at one time. Hell I bet you can play the whole game just as Mario.
>>
File: v4p45e.png (256KB, 567x303px) Image search: [Google]
v4p45e.png
256KB, 567x303px
They're only worth of criticism if they're dying way too damned much while wondering why.

If they're unoptimal but still beating the game, then whatever. Besides, in some cases "optimal" can also mean "game breaking" and fuck that noise.

(Challenge runs means they know why but get back up anyway, god bless you White Mage SCC)
>>
>>2940907
No, Warrior, Monk, Black Mage & White Mage is far more optimized.
>>
OFFICIAL JRPG PARTY SELECTION TIER LIST:

GOD TIER:
>I chose this character because I like them, I'll make it work even if they're not the best

GOOD TIER:
>I chose this character purely based on sexual attraction.

ACCEPTABLE TIER:
>I like having a balanced party, so I picked roles accordingly.

SHIT TIER:
>I went online and looked up the best characters and only use them because they maximize efficiency of beating the game as quickly and easily as possible, I'm a huge faggot please fuck my face
>>
>>2941875
Son, if you need to do anything but mashing Attack that ain't optimized.
>>
>>2942571

Anyone who disagrees is automatically shit tier
>>
>>2940614
The collective fanbase of SMRPG would probably beat you up
>>
File: 74392.png (24KB, 148x125px) Image search: [Google]
74392.png
24KB, 148x125px
>>2941523
This is a pretty good way to look at it.
>>
>>2940532
BALS TO THE WALL
BETR RED THAN DEAD
ONLY WHTE IS RIGHT
BLCK WHTE RED OVER
WHTE LCKS BLCK COCK
WHTE POWR IS BEST
NAZI RED POWR PRTY
>>
>>2941875
The white mage a shit. A Red Mage is better. They can heal themselves yet still defend themselves
>>
>>2940532
no because playing most rpgs with a optimized party makes the game too easy i'd rather have some challenge
>>
Strong Pokémon. Weak Pokémon. That is only the selfish perception of people. Truly skilled Trainers should try to win with the Pokémon they love best.
>>
>>2940532
No, it's a game they can beat it any way they like. You CAN criticize people who say their optimized party is the best or even worse complaining that they can't win while having an optimized party.
>>
>>2940532
fuck that, play the damn game however you want.

I never used Peach in Mario RPG.
Thread posts: 49
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.