[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I don't see a Repair/modding general, so I guess I'll

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 11

File: SNES-Mod1-Console-Set.jpg (4MB, 5472x2840px) Image search: [Google]
SNES-Mod1-Console-Set.jpg
4MB, 5472x2840px
I don't see a Repair/modding general, so I guess I'll just make a thread.
So, I bought a SNES a while ago in good working condition, but after a while, I stopped playing it for a bit. Now, when I try to play a game, the game doesn't even start, but the console turns on. My brother has a spare SNES, so I tested it with the same connections and such and it worked flawlessly. For mine though, it worked twice out of the multiple times I tried to get a game to work. Anyone know what could be wrong?
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 3024x4032px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 3024x4032px
This could easily be fixed by cleaning the pin connector inside the console. If you dont have the tools to take apart the console you can just open the cartridge door and look inside. There might be a build up of dust, dirt, or residue. You will need some Q-tips and some (pic related) alcohol cleaner. I got this stuff at walmart for like a dollar and it works great. Dip the Q-tips in some alcohol and gently rub the pin connectors on the inside to remove anything that may have been in there. I would also recommend cleaning the outside of the pin connector aswell as cleaning the contacts on your game carts. Put a game cart in and give it a test. If this doesn't work your 62 pin connector may be worn and need a replacement. honestly cleaning it fixes these problems most of the time. Good luck
>>
>>2932401
Then you aren't looking hard enough

>>2934206
You are part of the problem.
>>
>>2934216
Elitist prick
>>
>>2934343
This isn't even your beef, fag. Stay out of it. OP is a liar by not actually looking for the repair/mod general, and the first response just encouraged the behavior.
>>
>>2934206
Make sure that it's the higher percentage of alcohol, 91% or better. Denatured alcohol works too. A toothbrush works so you're not leaving q-tip fibers together.
>>2934351
Search and scrot or stop. I just did an there is no repair/mod gen. ;^P
>>
>>2934360
More lies.
>>
>>2932401
You're gonna need to learn how to repair a torn asshole after I'm done fucking it, faggot OP.
>>
If cleaning doesn't work, could have a broken solder connection at the video port connections on the back. Take the case off and resolder.
>>
>>2932401
I have the same problem OP, in both of my SNES consoles.

It's commonly called the Black Screen Of Death, cos it turns on and puts a black screen on the TV but won't go any further.

Various forums say it could be faulty RAM or other chips inside, flat cartridge batteries, or a physical fault like corrosion from that soda your brother spilt on it in 1996.

Either way, it's probably dead, like mine are.
>>
OP here. Here's an update just in case it helps determine the actual problem.
I tried out multiple games with the following results:
>Mega Man X
Only worked twice out of 20 or so times
>Donkey Kong Country
Couldn't get it to work
>Secret of Mana
Works without a huge amount of effort
>Yoshi's Island
Same as DKC
>Super Metroid
Barely worked. When it did, the SNES would think I'm using a pirated version of it
>Japanese Super Mario Kart
Nintendo logo always on start up with coin noise, but doesn't go beyond that
>>2934351
I literally didn't see a repair/mod general when I searched the catalog and I still don't see one.
Also, what's wrong with this >>2934206 suggestion?
>>2934397
Cool name, dude.
>>
>>2934505
Your games are fucking dirty, just clean them.
>>
>>2934515
Nigga, they play perfectly on my brother's SNES, just like I said in the OP.
>>
File: doctormario.png (90KB, 304x541px) Image search: [Google]
doctormario.png
90KB, 304x541px
>>2934505
>>2934515
>>2934527
I am the guy who suggested >>2934206
disregard that butthurt fag >>2934216 who was trash talking my suggestion.
I've used this method for a long time and my super nintendo that I've had since I was a kid still works like I just bought it.
Obviously your game carts are clean if they are working fine on another console. Your pin connector is the issue. I would definitely get in there and clean it up with my suggestion. Also, as >>2934360 suggested, a new toothbrush is really good because the small bristles will be able to get in deeper.

If this doesn't work it could mean that the pin connector is worn down. A game genie or a super game boy is good for checking to see if this is the issue because both of their contacts are slightly wider than a regular game cart so they are able to connect easier, even if the consoles pins are worn. IF this doesn't work it means there is a problem with the hardware inside the console and you would need to take it apart.

Like I said before, cleaning all of the connectors usually fixes most issues. Good luck fellow retro enthusiast!
>>
>>2934527
The SM pirate message only comes up unwarranted when there is a dirty connection.
Now rack your brain real hard and think "what, regarding dirt, could be different between these two SNESs?"
>>
File: ozwbG0A - Copie.jpg (528KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
ozwbG0A - Copie.jpg
528KB, 1080x1920px
>recently bought a "for parts" DSi on ebay
>open it and see this
>wtf are these white streaks ?!

Looks like the Li-Po battery's acid leaked all over the place to me (battery was swollen and damaged). What do you think, and how to clean that shit off ? My multimeter reads good signs of continuity though, so I might give it a shot assuming it's just corrosion and try to repair it.
>>
>>2936457
Hose it off with electronic contact cleaner, or take the battery out, leave it for awhile to dissipate the residual charge and literally hose the board off with water.
>>
>>2936457
I googled "how to clean battery corrosion"

Use a disposable towel to brush away any loose corrosion (white solid). Place a small amount of white vinegar into a small container such as a cup or bowl. Using a cotton swab, moisten the tip with vinegar and carefully wipe the corroded contacts. Repeat as necessary to remove all of the white residue.Jan 15, 2014
>>
>>2932401
Clean the connection port and the cartridge pins with mentholated spirits. You might have to remove the case to get at it better, I don't know I've only done this with a regular Snes.
>>
>>2936457
There's some green on that ribbon cable too.
>>
>>2934604
Okay, so I bought a spare toothbrush, the isopropyl alcohol and some q tips. Should I be worried about how much I use? Also, should I let it dry or let it sit a bit before testing it?
>>
>>2936875
>Also, should I let it dry or let it sit a bit before testing it?
Not that alcohol doesn't already evaporate quickly but yeah let it dry.
>>
>>2936887
OKAY! I got it to work. Now there's another problem. I guess some of the batteries in my games died. How should I approach this?
>>
Wait, I probably shouldn't have asked since google exists >>2936968
Okay, better question. Do you guys install battery holders when your batteries die or do you have other means?
>>
>>2936968
Can you solder? Cause that's the only way the old batteries are coming out. Best to solder in a battery holder to replace it with, so you don't need to take the solder iron to the cart again.
>>
>>2937004
Okay. Where would I find one that would fit?
>>
I'm ogling this dirt cheap game boy pocket on eBay with a purple smudge on the LCD.

I plan on installing a backlight, so I was wondering if this smudge is in the glass or the layer that will be replaced.
>>
>>2937495
Ask the seller.
>>2936968
Check youtube, soldering isn't that scary. Just heat up the iron remove the battery, touch the iron to a bit or solder securing new battery in place on both sides. Unless you're Michael J. Fox you're ok.
>>
>>2938945
Who is Michael J Fox
>>
File: 1920.jpg (198KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1920.jpg
198KB, 1920x1080px
>>2938952
Ahaha oh Jeez underage ban.
>>
>>2937495
The lcd is damaged, try to find one that doesn't power on if you want a better chance at a working system.
Those are usually dirty or corroded battery springs or the seller doesn't know how to adjust the contrast on the screen.
Those usually they say it powers on but nothing comes up on the screen, sometimes they even say the sound works but no picture.
>>
>>2938986
This, or pay the money for a decent one. They're not THAT expensive. I ordered a pocket kit from a site that included a cleaned pocket, backlight, pro-sound kit, and new replacement screen. It only cost 49.99, which was pretty good considering.
>>
>>2938960
OP here. >>2938952 isn't me.

>>2938945
I know how to solder, I just don't know how I should actually do it. See >>2937002
>>
File: bERfxSn - Copie.jpg (514KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
bERfxSn - Copie.jpg
514KB, 1920x1080px
>>2936550
>>2936487
>>2936486

I didn't own any electronic contact cleaner so I've taken the battery out, pulled out the power board, and cleaned everything using Isopropyl alcohol (70°). The wifi prop is still rusted though (any trick to take rust off ?).

So I've tested the wreck again with my multimeter and continuity seems to be flowing pretty neat so I guess the components are safe. The power board is dead though since battery acid had corroded solderings and maybe the copper. It was nasty so I just assumed that it needed a replacement. I'll let you know of my further investigations on the LCDs.
>>
I turn on my mega drive 2 and get the tmss message then a blank screen. I have cleaned the contacts and the slot. What do?
>>
File: 20160124_171552.jpg (1MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20160124_171552.jpg
1MB, 3264x1836px
>>2932401
My American SNES does weird shit with my crt. Not sure why. After like half an hour of playing the color will start to flicker really fast between color and black and white. Like maybe even 60/second. I used to think it was my TV, but then it occurred to me that when of flickers, I can bring the TV menu that is blue and works.

>ok SNES is fucked

It doesn't do it on any other TV ever. Playing it is a huge pissoff so that's why I got a Super Famicom. Any help/ideas?

>pic related, also posted it on another thread so you might see it there too
>>
File: policenauts.gif (242KB, 1600x800px) Image search: [Google]
policenauts.gif
242KB, 1600x800px
>>2940680
No one with any ideas?
>>
>>2941323
my guess would be a crystal oscillator is on the brink anon. They set the frequency of the video signal and if it's wrong you can get no colour/not much of a picture at all. If it is that you're in luck because they're pretty easy to replace. Try RGB and see if there is any difference.
>>
>>2942009
But it only does it on my TV. No where else. Why?
>>
File: mariokartsnes.jpg (14KB, 256x224px) Image search: [Google]
mariokartsnes.jpg
14KB, 256x224px
>>2940258
use some white vinegar to remove the rust. apply some to the rusted area and let it sit for a few minutes so that it can break down the rust. wipe away vinegar with a cloth and if there is still some corrosion (which is normal) rub it with some aluminum foil to break it off. Repeat these steps until all of the rust is removed. Good luck, Anon!
>>
File: N64Page03.jpg (199KB, 640x251px) Image search: [Google]
N64Page03.jpg
199KB, 640x251px
I guess I'm gonna post here. I want to do the N64 RGB mod using the easy method.

I have one N64 in excellent condition, but it has the wrong video chip. My other one works, but is in shit condition aesthetically with pieces of plastic missing, scrapes, the reset button sticks, etc- but this one does have the correct chip (pic related).

My question is, can I simply switch the motherboards between these consoles so that I have an RGB-capable system that doesn't look like shit? I suppose maybe some of it is difficult to remove or reassemble, but there may be some other reason why I can't do this.
>>
File: controller port.jpg (128KB, 1608x992px) Image search: [Google]
controller port.jpg
128KB, 1608x992px
>>2944308
Got the board out. I guess what it comes down to is whether or not this controller port can be removed and replaced with the good one. It appears to be soldered on, though.
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.