[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Genesis/Mega Drive Thread. Play anything interesting lately,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 8

File: Genesis Does.png (90KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
Genesis Does.png
90KB, 600x600px
Genesis/Mega Drive Thread.
Play anything interesting lately, /vr/?
Sega CD/32X not excluded.
>>
A while back I played Zero Tolerance, which had a surprising amount of depth and clever shit going for it for being largely a Wolf3D style corridor shooter.

A thing that stood out was with one level where you're on s rooftop, and you get shot at, you look over, and the enemy is a sniper on another rooftop, represented by animated skybox tiles, where you're meant to crawl beneath a low wall.

They really made the very most they possibly could out of the renderer.
Bullet holes on walls, animated bloodstains running down walls, smoldering corpses from bombs and flamers, guns with working laser sights, and you can pull the trigger on guns as fast as you can tap your button, which is unusual for a shooter of it's kind.
>>
>>2925434
Zero Tolerance is an above average game, but what makes it worth playing is the sheer ambition that was put into making it, it's s very advanced and flashy for being a corridor shooter, and it's especially noteworthy because it does this on just the regular Genesis.

Also, I might have just been imagining things, but it felt like the enemy AI adapted to how well I was playing. A melee enemy would run up and sucker punch me, throwing me up in the air and landing on my ass, he would then stand behind me and not actually really do anything until I stood up and turned around to face him, as if the game was giving me a break.
But at other times, when doing really well in fast and fierce combat, dropping mofos left and right like a high speed operator, it felt like the AI tried much harder to challenge me and didn't let up at all.

I like how the pistol, shotgun and pulse rifle all shoot as fast as you can (though interestingly, turbo doesn't work). If you have 20 shotgun shells and need to put out that volume of fire NOW, you can, BANGBANGBANGBANGBANGBANG and you can drop a whole group of enemies, most corridor shooters wouldn't have that kind of gunplay and I think that's actually very modern of it.
There's fist fighting too, with kicks and shit. If you want to melee fight the spacebugs you actually have fo duck down and hit them (and you can keep stomping and squishing their corpse further and further).
>>
>>2925454
Wow, I assumed after learning about the system link co-op that it was one of those 'neat tech gimmick in a forgettable experience' sort of things. Reading this stuff makes me think otherwise, and really interests me in playing it sometime.

I just recently got a CD/32X combo unit, and am waiting for the model 1 32X patch cable to come in the mail (and then I gotta dig up a 3.5mm and some RCA for the cd audio out, but whatevs. Such a complex system fusion). In the meantime I've been downloading SCD games like a madman. Keio Flying Squadron really impressed me, and I'm not much of a shmup fan. Still feels good to not blow hundreds on a legit copy.

Planning on purchasing an everdrive MD (maybe a chinadrive to save on cash) and then really letting loose with genny/32X games and foreign region games (japanese CD games are priorities so I can get a little better voice acting).

I'm thinking I go chinadrive because of the not 100% support for foreign bios loading. I'm not convinced krikzz would give you a free upgrade or something once a perfect bios cart existed, so i'd rather ride the cheap model now and buy a good one once it was improved for cd bios loading.

Random anecdote: never played sensible soccer because fucking amiga emulation. Saw there's a Sega cd version and the footage online looks clean. Any reason I shouldn't play that version?

Before I forget, I've been playing a lot of Sonic to try and get a feel for what makes those games fun as well as just enjoying the games again. Tried to beat Sonic Spinball again but died quickly on second stage. I am amazed by visuals on the intermission pinball minigame. Seeing sonic's hands move when you press the flippers is super cool.
>>
File: monsterworld4_0008.png (9KB, 300x400px) Image search: [Google]
monsterworld4_0008.png
9KB, 300x400px
I think I just came to agreement with the fact that the dominant genres on the Mega Drive are the ones I don't like as much. I still love the machine but I don't think I beat that many games on it.
>>
I'd like to get a Mega CD soon, what are some good games for it?
>>
>>2924957
I've been playing Mega Man: The Wily Wars lately

it's rather underrated, t b h. The only real issue I have with it is that the remake of 2 is worse than 1 or 3
>>
Anyone know any comfy Genesis games?
>>
>>2925674
Wonder Boy in Monster World.
>>
>>2925674
splatterhouse 3
>>
>>2925531
Shining Force
Terminator
Popful Mail
Sol-Feace
And I guess a lot of people like Night Trap but I honestly don't think it's a good game.

Probably some more. While the CD had a much vaster library than the 32X, Sega tried to market it as an FMV machine (a mistake in my opinion), so it has it's share of crap. If you like FMV games, there are much better ways to play them because they were typically worse on the Sega CD.
The CD had more bad games than the 32X had good ones, but it just has a way larger selection of good games. Also it has zero copy protection so that's a bonus.

The 32X was a terrible idea for it's time and was expensive for everyone involved, but if you find one for cheap (not too hard these days aside from eBay), there's a few fairly good titles, like an Arcade Perfect port of After Burner, a port of Doom that's actually pretty good aside from the bad music and missing levels and bosses, and a very interesting sci-fi alien fighting game that I can't remember the name of. Would probably be good for flash carts.

>>2925674
True Lies, it's just as good as the SNES version. I don't know if you'll find it comfy but I think it's pretty comfy to lean back in a couch or bed with a gamepad and just plow through it. Though it's pretty hard.

Shining Force is great (though I'll say that the enhanced port on the GBA spoiled me).
>>
Why is the Genesis so welfare compared to the SNES?
>>
>>2925674
Rocket Knight Adventures
Sonic 1
Aladdin
Outrun (and Outrun 2019)
ecco the dolphin (at least at first...)
landstalker

>>2926165
also this. Game is comfy as fuck.

In general though, The genny isn't really a "comfy" system since most of its games have a very high-energy arcade feel to them. I'm sure there are plenty of comfy RPGs and such, but I never had those
>>
I like the Turrican games. I never really saw them in the USA, so I was surprised that its fun and has good music.
>>
Why is Megadrvie so ghetto compared to the snes?
>>
FM music programmed in 80s style, with bells sounds is the comfiest shit ever.
>>
>>2927003
Lack of colors, mang. You really gotta play on a blurry CRT to make up for it.
>>
>>2927003
maybe you should find a thread where someone gives a shit.
>>
>>2927005
It has like 65 thousand colors or something.
>>
>>2927006
You gave one anon. You gave one. :v)
>>
File: 1452833979481.jpg (7KB, 207x244px) Image search: [Google]
1452833979481.jpg
7KB, 207x244px
>>2927003
>>
File: index.php.jpg (12KB, 192x161px) Image search: [Google]
index.php.jpg
12KB, 192x161px
>mfw I used to be a hardcore Nintendo babby who thought the only good Genesis/Mega Drive games were Sonic
>mfw the 3DS remakes of Sega's old games

Sorry I doubted Sega.

Space Harrier 2 blows, though.
>>
>>2927134
I said this in an old thread, but I'd really like to see Space Harrier 2 get the IIDX treatment, like Fantasy Zone 2.
>>
>>2927135
I'd rather take a port of planet harriers, it's still not emulated right on demul.
>>
>>2927138
Oh yeah, me too. Especially since the only place I could play Planet Harriers at removed it a few months ago.
>>
File: pga-tour-golf-iii-usa-europe.png (19KB, 320x224px) Image search: [Google]
pga-tour-golf-iii-usa-europe.png
19KB, 320x224px
no shit, the best golf game.
>>
I'd honestly consider getting a 32X just for the novelty of the thing, but goddamn is it so ugly. Especially on a model 1, since it doesn't even match.

If I had the mod skills, I'd take all the guts of a 32X and transplant them inside a power base converter.
>>
File: 2169004056_b3179d7f5d.jpg (85KB, 500x192px) Image search: [Google]
2169004056_b3179d7f5d.jpg
85KB, 500x192px
>>2929190
← or you could make a fake Neptune
>>
>>2929237
Yeah, I saw a video from that guy. Damn impressive stuff.
>>
>>2924957
SNES IS WHAT GENESISN'T
>>
>>2929190
Would it be possible to somehow put the necessary guts and shit from a 32X in a flashcart and create a way to play 32X games without having to trifle with the unit iself?
Or would you still have to hook up the wires and power adapters? Or would it be a thousand times easier to just make a regular flashcart to put in the 32X?

Genuine question, I don't know shit.
>>
>>2929703
Not possible. In order to bypass the need for all the (external) wires sticking out and shit, you would need to make it an internal mod, rather than an external cart (which is essentially what it already is). It simply can't do all it needs to do just through the cartridge slot.

I really am fascinated by the 32x though. You have to wonder what it would have been capable of had it not been dropped like a rock and developers (for whatever reason) actually supported the monstrosity. I wonder the same thing about the jaguar too. What were their theoretical potentials? Guess we'll never know
>>
>>2929326
SNES IS WHAT MEGADRIVEN'T?
gtfo
>>
Was playing Shadowrun a few days ago, really interesting how it feels like a predecessor to modern/near-future setting cRPGs, like Deus Ex or Fallout, it has all the staples like infiltrating corporations, hacking security, disabling cameras, foiling conspiracies. It's got this open world type design and it's all crammed into a Genesis cartridge.

Really neat game, but it's so grindy and the actual main plot-line is so short
>>
>>2930320
Yes. Better than most Nintendo's products in every way though.
>>
Anyone got a Everdrive for their MD?

Was looking into one but saw that the v2 was much more expensive than the v3. Are the features of the v2 anything you would miss for just general use?
>>
Replayed Phantasy Star 2 and 4 some weeks ago. Top tier stuff. Played through Sengoku Densho on my Sega CD today. Its not really that bad. Soundtrack is the same as the Neo Geo, sprites are really big and the backgrounds are mostly good. It isn't great, but no beat em up on the Sega CD really is other than Final Fight CD. Its certainly better than Anet Futatabi.

I was mostly excited when it even worked. My Sega CD can be picky. I have discs I know work (the play on my PC) that it won't run.
>>
>>2927134
As a Vita owner this is the only thing I am booty bothered about. I would like those classic SEGA games that they have for the 3DS for the Vita.
>>
Buck Rodgers: Countdown to Doomsday

a turn-based, squad-based, tactical RPG using D&D rules in a science fiction setting; some open world elements; you can fly round the solar system, there's space combat mode, then you can land on asteroid bases and get in brawls in bars.

probably better on other systems than the megadrive, but a fond memory nevertheless
>>
>>2931036
No, just get the cheapest version possible. I have the Everdrive MD v.2 , make sure you update the OS to version 35 so you can use SDHC SD cards and get faster booting.
>>
>>2931253
Can the "cheapest version possible" load Sega CD BIOSes?
>>
>>2931275
Speaking of Sega CD, how hard is it to emulate? I have the latest Kega Fusion and it seems to have support for CD, but as I understand, you need to do more than simply loading a ROM.
>>
>>2932393
Easy. Just set the bios path in any emu and that's about it.
>>
>>2930330
The start is pretty grindy, but after that it gets pretty damn good. I don't mind the short plot because I just want to run the shadows.
>>
>>2932525
So just download a BIOS file, put it in the emulator folder, set it with the emulator, and then I can just load and play any Sega CD rom from a folder like it was a Genesis or 32X rom, right?
>>
>>2930305

GENESIS DOES WHAT FAMICOM'T?

btfo
>>
>>2933154
The emulator should have a directory to find the Bios. Set a Bios, then boot Sega CD, the bios will appear, then it will read the game you're trying to load. You don't need to mount the ISO or anything.
>>
>>2933453
Well shit that sounds quite simple.
Time to check out some classic titles and FMV garbage!
>>
>>2925674
Toe-Jam and Earl: Panic On Funotron
>>
>>2927134
I grew up owning a Genesis, but after the cables for it broke, I took up emulating NES and SNES. That kind of muddied my brain a little, making me think that the Genesis was just a "flash in the pan" console with little going for it

But once I found a decent Genesis emulator that didn't fuck up, I completely regretted ever having that attitude. Still really like the NES though

>>2931036
I'm waiting for krikzz to come out with his GBA Everdrive, then I might consider getting one
>>
>>2927008

it had a 512 color palette, capable of displaying 61 on screen at most.
>>
Recently played Syd of Valis on an emulator.

It's garbage, but like, some of the most fascinating garbage.
>>
>>2935201
The first game is pretty comfy too. It's chill to smoke a bowl and listen to that God tier soundtrack.
>>
Anyone play the homebrew Wolf3D port?
>>
>>2924957
Genesis does sound like someone loosely mounted a tweeter in a coke can.
>>
File: megacd2001.jpg (247KB, 1080x810px) Image search: [Google]
megacd2001.jpg
247KB, 1080x810px
So I want to run a euro mega cd on a jap mega drive with a chinese everdrive md. Will I be able to get this to work?
>>
Did the Genesis have any actually good games on it that weren't bested by something on the SNES? If so, what were they?
>>
>>2939216
Sanic.
>>
>>2939216
ecco the dankphin
>>
>>2926943
>Terminator
Track 3 fucking rocks. Great game, too bad the final level is ass and the final fight is supreme ass. Still, good times to be had on the way. Just wish I knew why the fuck the NTSC version used theme music for almost all the videos, when the PAL version has the audio from the movie.
>>
>>2939249
GENESIS DOES
WHAT PC-ENGISN'T
>>
>>2939216
After Burner (32X)
Bloodlines
Shining Force
Doom (32X)
Zero Tolerance

I'm a huge SNES faggot by the way.
There's also True Lies and Stargate, that are just as good as on the SNES if you play with a 6B pad.
>>
>>2925674
Pokahontas. No shit.
>>
>>2926959
Didn't the Genesis have vastly more sports titles?
>>
>>2925674
Side Pocket
>>
>>2925531
Sonic CD, though you're probably better off getting the modern remake of it which is really good.
>>
>>2939216
There are plenty of great games on the Mega Drive that weren't on SNES. I'm not sure why it matters though, both consoles are great.
>>
Did anyone here actually have both the CD and 32X as a kid?
>>
>>2951106
I still don't own a Mega CD or 32X, sadly. Never even met anyone who owns either of them.
I did own a Master System and a Mega Drive as a kid though, so I can't complain. Even got a SNES from a relative.
>>
>>2943853
Real talk
>>
WHAT MIGADRIVEN'T
>>
>>2939216
The Genesis Shadowrun is way better than the SNES one.

Same with Earthworm Jim, Robocop vs Terminator, and Contra.
>>
>>2955360
>The Genesis Shadowrun is way better than the SNES one.

Agreed.

Don't know why the SNES version gets all the attention.
>>
WHAT MASTER SYSN'T
>>
>>2955442
Nintedo does what the dreamcant.
>>
SEGA DOES

WHAT PLAYSTATION'T
>>
>>2939216
Mega Turrican >>> Super Turrican
>>
>>2955390
cuz it's ez casualmode
>>
>>2955360
>>2955390
Because it follows a linear plotline with puzzle solving, investigating, etc, and everything about it is set-pieces, while the Sega one is less linear and doesn't have as interesting story, being a lot about free roaming, fetch/delivery quests, kill X amount of Y, maybe interact with Z.
The SNES one feels pretty rail-roady, but the Genesis one is very drawn out and feels spread thin in some ways.

Also, as grindy as the SNES one is, it doesn't even touch upon how grindy the Genesis one is.
Finally, the SNES soundtrack blows the Genesis soundtrack out of the water.
Thread posts: 79
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.