[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I was a Nintendo 64 kid and I missed out on the original PlayStation's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

File: soul-reaver-cover.jpg (74KB, 640x630px) Image search: [Google]
soul-reaver-cover.jpg
74KB, 640x630px
I was a Nintendo 64 kid and I missed out on the original PlayStation's library, so I've been trying to get caught up. How is Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver? I've heard it described as a more mature Ocarina of Time, and from videos of it, it seems like God of War before God of War was a thing.
>>
It's nothing like God of War. Something like Darksiders is closer.

Great game, but I don't know if it aged well.
>>
soul reaver is not even close to god of war, but check this bitch out
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8kmt2EiKrI
>>
>>2921775
>it seems like God of War before God of War was a thing
That's not too far off actually (assuming you mean "puzzle game masquerading as an action game"), though Soul Reaver's story is miles ahead of GoW's garbage.
>>
>>2921795
>though Soul Reaver's story is miles ahead of GoW's garbage.
Not really. The dialogue is better and more amusing, but the overal quality of the story isn't much better. Maybe better than, say, God of War III's mess.
>>
>>2921846
God of War's story and presentation is a piece of shit that was made for 13-year-olds who think Kratos is a total badass because he kills almost everything in his way and fucks everything else in his way.
>>
>>2921775
Not exactly like GoW, but more like Metroid, actually. Basically, you explore until you kill a boss, gain his power and new areas become open to you.

Exploration is also made more interesting by the spectral realm. You literally kill your character, and go to the other side, where the environments are distorted and warped, which often gives you access to new areas.
People love to focus on the block puzzles (and I'll be honest, there's a LOT) but honestly it's only 1/3 of the recipe of SR's exploration.
Also worth noting is that there's actually a lot of optional shit to do, and entire dungeons that are totally optional, which all serves to give you more health and powerful spells you wouldn't get normally.

Combat is fairly repetitive, but there's variety in how you can kill your enemies, and enemies actually get stronger if you don't finish them off. So a low level vamp can turn into a high level one, because you let him recover, or an enemy you killed can come back as a soul sucking freak if you don't eat his soul before it vanishes.

SR's strongest suit is the atmosphere and plot though. The Monologues can be overdone, but they really paint the world well. It's not anywhere near an OoT either (style wise, I mean), but it's still one of the best games the PSX has to offer.

If you want the PSX's "Zelda" Then play Blood Omen, Brave Fencer Musashi and Alundra. They all fit the bill much better.
>>
>>2921864
What's your point? The game's narrative is nice, but mostly because of the atmosphere of its setting and the voice acting. Nothing else is particularly great. I'm not arguing that God of War has some excellent story, just that Soul Reaver really isn't that special. It just has fun melodramatic dialogue and one pretty cool twist.
>>2921775
Play Blood Omen first. They're both really good (I played them both for the first time within the last year) but you'll have to forgive some clumsy gameplay here and there. The draw of them is mostly in exploring the moody world.
>>
Make sure to play the PC version of Blood Omen. Your run-of-the-mill PC that you use for posting dank memes will make it work, and the CubanRaul patch makes it run smooth on a Win7 system easily. Also, PC version of Blood Omen 1 eliminates the biggest issue with the PSX version - the excruciating loading times.

Otherwise, for Soul Reaver series, PS version is the way to go, because the PC ports are shit.
>>
>>2921943
I'd say go with the Dreamcast version for SR. It looks a little better and no load times
>>
>>2921896
Are you referring to Soul Reaver alone or the entire series?
>>
>>2921882
Nothing to add other than than was a great post. You pulled /vr/ ever so slightly higher, tonight.
>>
>>2922279
Either. Though I think the story of the series falls apart after the first Soul Reaver.
>>
>>2922334
The story is mainly great due to its spectacular delivery, so it's worth it for that alone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAds4kH7QDE
>>
>>2922334
I think the "not much better than GoW" statement is baffling and I'd argue LoK is the complete opposite to how you described it but there's no point to that; what I would to ask for is an example of a better storyline
>>
>>2922345
In video games? I can't think of any. Is it better than God of War's story? Yes. "Miles ahead?" Not really. As >>2922339 also notes the main thing it has going for it is the endearing delivery of its cast.
>and I'd argue LoK is the complete opposite to how you described it
How so? You actually think the story gets better after Soul Reaver?
>>
>>2922350
It get infinitely better on every conceivable level but this isn't the place to discuss why and I wouldn't accomplish anything by explaining it except derailing the thread and wasting time.
I'm not insulting your taste or preference but I am curious to understand what you'd prefer and your answer is fair enough.
>>
>>2921775
Man I remember renting this as a kid. I was stuck at the underwater boss. Is the game worth finishing ?
>>
>>2921943
BO - PC
SR1 - DC
SR 2 - PC
BO 2 - PC
Defiance - PC

The only issue with SR1 on PC are the joystick controls
>>
>>2925290
>The only issue with SR1 on PC are the joystick controls

And broken sound (it turns into a cacophonia after a while, and nobody figured out a fix for that) and poor optimization.
>>
Still angry about Defiance.
>>
I wanted to play Blood Omen but both on the PC and PS1 the audio quality is horrendous.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.