[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /vr/, I bought a gen 2 Genesis at a pawn shop today and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 6

File: IMG_20160116_171535.jpg (3MB, 2992x4000px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160116_171535.jpg
3MB, 2992x4000px
Hey /vr/,

I bought a gen 2 Genesis at a pawn shop today and they gave me this RF adapter, but it's not working. I just went back down to get the power adapter switched out because they gave me a gen 1, is this RF switch also gen 1 or could there be something else wrong?
>>
>>2921319
google search says that model is for the Genny 2.

How do you know it's not working? Are you sure it's not a problem with the genesis itself, or the connection between the game and the console?

What TV are you using. AFAIK new TVs don't accept old analogue RF. Cable is digital now and all that.
>>
File: 1441370899665.gif (14KB, 500x596px) Image search: [Google]
1441370899665.gif
14KB, 500x596px
>>2921319
>>
>>2921329
ebin forced meme pls leaf
>>
>>2921328
>AFAIK new TVs don't accept old analogue RF
If they have coax input, it'll work. Otherwise, see >>2921329
>>
>>2921328
Also you should at least be using composite cables anyway.
>>
>>2921328
I guess I could've googled it myself lol.

I'm using it on a CRT, there's a bit of a flicker on the screen when I turn on the Genesis so there's some connection at least.
>>
>>2921352
Try cleaning the game.
>>
>>2921340
Yeah, I was considering looking for some. I think I'll look for them tomorrow, if they don't work at least it proves it's a problem with the console.
>>
>>2921319
My gen 1 came with this rf adapter and the channel switcher being on the back of the console and not on the adapter. maybe try finding cheap AV cables?
>>
>>2921434
Forgot pic
>>
>>2921365
or cleaning the rf connector
>>
>>2921352
Okay, if you see that single instance of flicker when you turn it on, that probably means its not a problem with the RF connector. The issue is most likely the connection with the game cartridge.

1) clean the game's pins with isopropyl and a q-tip
2) clean the cartridge slot by covering a credit card with a thin cloth (such as an old tshirt you don't care about). Cover that with isopropyl and insert it in and out of the cartridge slot on the console to get grime off that too.
>>
RF? Disgusting. SCART has been around since what, the 80s. Do you live in a third-world country?
>>
>>2921498
Not everyone has a PVM or an RGB-YUV transcoder laying around.
>>
>>2921483
I tried a different cartridge, no difference. I'll try cleaning the cartridge slot with alcohol later. Thanks for the advice.
>>
>>2921508
Rgb scart works on any TV that's not from a third world country.
>>
>>2921653
Don't you have some refugees you need to house or something?
>>
>>2921653
The guy buys a console TODAY and is already harrassed by neckbeards.
>>
>>2921319
Why not just use the RF cable directly? I do so with my 2600 and SNES.

Might be because my TVs are not that new though.
>>
>>2921812
I just don't know how there can be such a lack of knowledge of rgb. Why would you need a pvm? You just get scart cable online for the same price as any other cable, plug it into any TV, and it just works. What more is needed?

I'm not the guy who called op disgusting for using rf. That was pretty mean, seeing as it came with the console. I was just replying to the guy who knew nothing about rgb and said you need a pwm or some other bullshit. I don't even know what a pvm is but all my consoles are in rgb.
>>
OP here, sorry I went quiet.

Interestingly enough, it works on an LCD. I haven't used RF on the CRT for a while so I'm guessing that's what's broke. Looks like shit on the LCD though, I'm still gonna look for some component cables for it.
>>
>>2922696
>I just don't know how there can be such a lack of knowledge of rgb.

You show a lack of knowledge as well. Most old games were not created with RGB in mind. Genesis games ESPECIALLY were not - they used a lot of dithering to get around the colour limit or simulate transparencies. This was even confirmed by one of the devs, who specifically mentioned that on RGB output the game looked worse than how it should.
>>
>>2924051
Never mind RF introduces legendary level input lag on LCDs.
>>
>>2921319
I hate to insult your intelligence but I have honestly seen people not realise this in the past.
You have to tune your TV into the correct frequency. You can't just plug it in and expect it to go, that's not how RF works. If you are actually on this boat of foolishness then turn the console on and then activate auto-tuning. If you get an analogue TV channel instead (not bleedin' likely nowadays) press the button again until you find the console output. Then store this channel so that you don't need to tune it in again.
>>
>>2925175
I had to do this with the LCD, but the CRT works like any other CRT I've ever used; set the RF switch to channel 3 or 4, turn the tv to that channel and you're golden. I think I have an RF switch lying around somewhere for the snes, if I ever get around to it I'll try that to confirm the problem was with the tv.

On a side note, can you use ethyl alcohol instead of isopropyl to clean a cartridge? One of the two games I bought with it blinks the opening credits and goes black, I want to try cleaning it but I only have ethyl on hand and can't find anything online saying it's safe.
>>
>>2924096
>one dev said so
>this obviously means the whole industry thought exactly like this guy during 20+ years
>>
>>2922696
Notice how OP said genesis and not mega drive.

We don't have SCART-compatible TVs in the US, you dense motherfucker. You're telling him he needs to go out and buy specialty cables, transcoders, and/or BNC breakout adapters and a PVM. Stop being an autist; the dude just wants to play a fucking genesis.
>>
>>2925448
Then it's yours and his fault for living in a shitty third world country.
>>
>>2925448
>buy a scart tv like vr says
>go to unplug snes
>connectors break off inside TV
There's good reasons the free world doesn't put up with that bullshit. It looks the same on most sets anyways.
>>
>>2925486
I'm glad you finally were able to get that out of your system after baiting for an entire day.
>>
>>2925352
It can work in a pinch, but I would strongly advise you to get some isopropyl instead. Often times ethyl alcohol has chemicals added to it to prevent people from drinking it.
>>
>>2925486
>shitty third world country
By definition, the US can't be one. Learn history, you uneducated yurofag.
>>
File: image.png (176KB, 750x1334px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
176KB, 750x1334px
>>2925486
>calling USA a shitty third world country
Number 1 economy is in America
Number 2 is China
Even a small island like Japan is better then most Euro chuck countries
Seems to me like you euro poors are the third world country.
>>
>>2925486
>Texas GDP 1.5trillion
Even one state in burgerland destroys most European economies.
>>
File: lel 2 u.png (700KB, 438x743px) Image search: [Google]
lel 2 u.png
700KB, 438x743px
>>2925486
P>AL shitters thinking they can trash talk the USA

Enjoy your shit retro games running 17% lower and at 50hz. Have fun needing to install region mods and 50/60hz switches on every console or importing everything.
>>
File: usa debt.png (97KB, 1248x597px) Image search: [Google]
usa debt.png
97KB, 1248x597px
>>2925775
>Number 1 economy is in America

You mean number 1 most indebted country.
>>
>>2925393
>this obviously means the whole industry thought exactly like this guy during 20+ years

The Genesis/Megadrive shipped either with RF or Composite cables world wide, though. So it is not a stretch to say that games were made with that in mind.
>>
>>2925798
Hardly. We're pretty in the middle relative to most countries in the EU. Our bonds and credit rating is still considered AAA+ nationally.
>>
It's also possible that the pins are fucked. My original RF adapter ended up breaking its audio pin back in the day. We ultimately had to replace it. Weird as shit playing without audio for like, half a year. I think we beat the entirety of Flashback in silence.
>>
>>2925798
>not understanding the importance of debt/GDP ratio
For all the third world country name calling shit, you sure seem like you were educated in one.
>>
>>2925809
No it didn't. Sometimes they shipped with scart. I know for certain that pretty much ever console ever released in France came with scart since pal consoles wouldn't work on secam tvs with rf or composite, but would with rgb.
>>
>>2927484
Some consoles sometimes came with scart in the UK, too. Im pretty sure most of the time they came with rf simply as a cost cutting measure. I remember getting a new Saturn in like 1996 here in the UK and there was actually a printed card in the box saying that they haven't included the scart cable as stated on the box and have included an rf switch instead.
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.