[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is this game treated like it was brought down from the heavens.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 187
Thread images: 23

File: image.jpg (99KB, 750x512px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
99KB, 750x512px
Why is this game treated like it was brought down from the heavens. I recently played this game for 5 hours and i hated it. I just can't see the hype behind this game.
>>
You just hate games.
>>
>>2915196
I love games. I tried to love this game, but i just couldn't. Hated the combat and the puzzles. I did however think the story was decent.
>>
Same happened to me with other sacred cows like Half-Life.

The game is just not for you OP, you don't need to like every single popular or acclaimed game, once you learn that and accept it, you will get angry less often and make less shitty threads like this.
>>
>>2915190
I never got the hype either OP. Played it at release, too. Different games for different people.
>>
same here, op. it's overrated as fuck.

i'd rather play medieval or brave fencer musashi or some shit.
>>
>>2915313
>i'd rather play medieval

So this is what it feels like to get triggered.
>>
>>2915208
This.

God damn, no one cares if you don't like one of the most beloved games of all time.

What was your motivation for making this thread? Did you just want to talk shit? Did you want the lovers of this game to rally to its defense? Against your utterly insubstantial argument?

There should be a rule against this. I don't even really like Ocarina of Time either (greatly prefer other Zelda titles), but I really wish you'd just kept this shit to yourself.

Fuck you, OP, and the shithorse you rode in on. >>2915190 Here's your (You|OP) you nigger
>>
Much like Led Zeppelin, it kinda sucks now but you had to be there, OoT was revolutionary because it brought this world into 3D when gamers of the time were going apeshit over this 3D fad.
>>
>>2915190
>I recently played this game for 5 hours and i hated it

then git gud and learn how to play it in 20 minutes.
>>
Beat the game.
When I was an edgy kid, I never got past the Forest Temple and I said it was overrated.
>>
>>2915190
What games do you like fàm?
>>
>>2915353
Op here. I prefer more modern games like Asscreed and GTA. For retro I like stuff like Caveman Ughlympics, anything by US Gold, old Acclaim NES stuff (Total Recall, Simpsons) Ghost Busters and Burning Force.
>>
File: welles.jpg (16KB, 236x291px) Image search: [Google]
welles.jpg
16KB, 236x291px
>>2915190

For the same reason Citizen Kane is treated like it was brought down from the heavens.

It was innovative for its time.
>>
>>2915361
God, someone's a fan of AVGN.
>>
>>2915361
Have you played Megaman Legends?
>>
>>2915190
You're a joyless douche.

You don't have to like games just because other people do.
>>
HOLY SHIT! You don't like a beloved acclaimed game?! That's crazy!

You must be a real cool guy, wanna hang out some time?
>>
>>2915438
No. Is that a compilation game?
>>
>>2915361
>that absolute shit taste
>Burning Force the only redeemable exception
wew
>>
>>2915476
It's the PS1 equivalent of Ocarina. Play it for five hours, and report back
>>
>>2915492
Ok thanks
>>
>>2915492
>It's the PS1 equivalent of Ocarina.

It's not the PS1 equivalent of Ocarina, but it's a good game.
It also has a PC and N64 port.
>>
>>2915190
i have to agree.

i don't get why people like it.

i never completed the damn thing. i never even got to the point he became an adult.

i just couldn't get past certain parts of the game

I don't remember what it was, but one of these fuckers https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39HwCcwzbmY
>>
>>2915646
The thing is this. OoT is a game where you're supposed to encounter times where you don't know what to do next. If you're the kind of person who expect the game to hand something to do, instead of wanting to discover things for yourself, Ocarina isn't really for you.
>>
>>2915190
Probably because many N64 games sucked and Zelda was still great in 3D
>>
Op here. I like Megaman Legends. I'm also willing to give OoT another chance. Thanks /vr/.
>>
>>2915729
OoT is a great game but I can't help but agree that the N64's mostly shit library is why it got so much attention. There was nothing else.
>>
I remember back when I got this for x-mas way back when I just... underwhelmed.
Maybe it was my add or something but treking across the field was really annoying.
It discouraged me from really exploring because 90% of the field was just pointless.
Sure Epona made it slightly tolerable but even that was annoying as it would get hung up on every rock and uneven ground.
>>
>>2915313
was about to rain on you, but
>brave fencer musashi
you have a point
>>
>>2915646
>couldn't beat a game designed for kids
>"i don't get why people like it"

Wow. OoT isn't hard, but you do need to use your head at certain points and pay attention to the environment.

Anyways OoT is underwhelming by today's standards but it was ground-breaking at the time. A big world to explore, good graphics, and an excellent transition from 2D to 3D, not to mention an amazing atmosphere in general.

I prefer Majora's Mask but if OoT was too hard for you you may need to switch to edutainment games instead.
>>
>>2915190
hey arin i miss when you were an animator and not a Professional whiner
>>
File: 1390246330523.jpg (23KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
1390246330523.jpg
23KB, 250x250px
>>2915492

>It's the PS1 equivalent of Ocarina
>>
>>2915871
The closest thing to a PS1 equivalent of Ocarina is Tomba.
>>
>>2915190
It was the first 3D Zelda. It was hyped to shit. It wasn't completely terrible but it did a lot of things badly - so of course given that 1996 was the year that modern gamers would be playing it like it was LoZ and shit they would devour things done badly - hence why modern gaming is dogshit. So yeah there's your answer. Modern gamers. People who grew up with it are now in their early twenties.
>>
>>2915764
And Mario 64 and Wipeout.
Fags ate up GoldenEye and PD though. They'll swear through the teeth it's great but you can play that shit through again and yeah not so much.

>>2915492
Eh, not really. The PS1 equivalent of OoT be closer to Kingsley's Adventure.
>>
>>2916436
This right here. I thought Goldeneye and PD was pure shit when they came out. Even more so now.
>>
>>2916436
>They'll swear through the teeth it's great but you can play that shit through again and yeah not so much.

I completed Goldeneye recently and I can tell you that the single player (on 00 Agent mode at least) is a true classic and still just as good as Doom's.

Great level design, a real feeling of tension, and encourages creative approaches to completing levels.
>>
>>2916450
>and still just as good as Doom's.
>>
>>2916429

This post is a mess
>>
File: 52903622_p0_master1200.jpg (184KB, 1200x822px) Image search: [Google]
52903622_p0_master1200.jpg
184KB, 1200x822px
>>2915361
>Burning Force is bad
Suck my big red rocket dude.
>>
>>2916443
I had the same initial feeling with Goldeneye.
It was only after a 2 friends FORCED me to play with them in multiplayer that I grew to love it.
>>
>>2916436
Get the fuck out of my universe.

NOW.
>>
>>2915205
This proves you're a retard or a troll, because the story is pretty damn weak.
>>
>>2916456
It really is, and for exactly the same reasons. The combination of open levels and mechanics that leave you to run and gun and use stealth freely along with the solid hit reactions that allow you to avoid taking damage if you're skilled enough, with AI that's the right mix of random yet predictable, leaves the game with one of the best campaigns ever made.
>>
most people (who love it and hate it) just dont put this game into context. sure, if you're 15 years old and have grown up playing xbox 360 games then it would seem like nothing to you, but if you bought this game when it came out and there's nothing else like it, whatsoever, then you're going to be pretty amazed by it.

then again this is probably a troll thread anyway
>>
>>2916843
>that
>>
>>2915337

Maybe if he didn't word it like he was purposely trying to offend every fan of this game, but he could have a had a legitimate thread and conversation.
>>
>>2915819
Kek
>>
>>2916843
>exactly the same reasons

One of the main reasons why Doom is so great is because it is fast as fuck. Goldeneye like most N64 games run like dogshit 20fps, not to mention the controls are inferior. Also all the later Goldeneye levels that had infinite respawning enemies was annoying as hell. Only level in Doom that did that shit was Icon of Sin. Don't get me wrong for a console FPS it isn't bad but saying it is as good as Doom is topkek my friend.
>>
>>2917230
And Goldeneye is slower because it's about setting up your shots and simulating light gun gameplay in a 3D world instead. The controls are the way they are so that quickly and steadily aiming is hard.
>>
>>2917230
I'm just saying, but the original Doom controlled on the arrow keys, and ran at 30fps
>>
>>2917331
>and ran at 30fps
35fps. Doom (and most DOS games of that time) ran at 400p (as line doubled 200p), which on a 31kHz VGA monitor gives 70Hz refresh rate, so you didn't get pulldown judder like you would with 30fps.
>>
>>2917230
>having to reneg the argument to technical aspects
A bit weak my friend. Goldeneye didn't try to be Doom, it is it's own game

>infinite respawning enemies
I can see that you didn't into stealth
>>
>>2917346
Good info, yes I do recall reading about the 31hz thing.
>>
>>2917346
I'm guessing it's kinda like how interlacing works on crt, the first and second frames get "motion blended" together giving the illusion of smoothness?
>>
>>2915339
Bull, Led Zeppelin as OoT are good but they are both praised as jesus. Besides I though it was Super Mario 64 that brought people to 3D?
>>
>>2915190
>i recently (2016) "played" this game (1998) nad i hated it!

what the fuck is context, the same shit with half-life, Doom, AoE, the godfather, jimmy hendrix and everything else, you're just a 12 years old seeking for attention, please stop this cancer mr contrarian
>>
I owned Link to the Past as a child. Tried it a couple times, never really liked it and never beat it. I tried a couple other Zelda games including Ocarina of Time years ago but I just lose interest halfway through with all of them. I don't know what it is about Zelda but I can't seem to enjoy the series for whatever reason. They're not bad games but they're just not my thing I guess.
>>
>>2918306
>mr contrarian
You do realize that's not a perjorative. Saying it like it is only makes you look like a fucking twelve year old moron yourself. Using as it as if disagreeing with the majority is a bad thing is about as retarded as you can get given that well, for the most part, that's usually the case most of the time.
Also, if it requires context to be good it's actually just shit. Doom doesn't even need context, it was good then and it's still fucking good now.
>>
ITT: I'm special for not liking a popular game.
>>
>>2918437

Being a contrarian edgy kid is a sign of being a 12 year old though

>Doom doesn't even need context, it was good then and it's still fucking good now.

Tell that to the kids who can't stand the original Doom and need to play Source mods of it.
>>
>>2918480
Here's your response.
>>
It's pretty boring, like every 3D Zelda (or 3D Zelda copyat, fuck you Okami).
I'm more troubled over Wind Waker. Such a beautiful, charming game andzzzzz....
>>
>>2915337
>>2915208
He doesn't sound fucking mad in the least, it sounds like you guys are buttfrustrated

>>2915313
I would rather play BFM three times instead of OoT once, I think it was just made a little better.
>>
>>2918976

I'd rather play Goemon instead of BFM or Medievil.
>>
>>2918976
>He doesn't sound fucking mad in the least, it sounds like you guys are buttfrustrated

How are these guys mad? At least the first guy you quoted doesn't sound made at all, just telling OP that it's okay to not like popular games just because they're popular.

OP on the other hand made a thread about it, he must be some degree of mad. Although I'm sure it's most likely bait.
>>
>>2918480
You know, I never enjoyed the original Doom (and haven't tried any Source mods or the likes). I did not own it, but when I tried it the view bobbing effect made me feel nauseous as fuck. I'm guessing this can be disabled?
>>
>>2918969
>It's pretty boring, like every 3D Zelda (or 3D Zelda copyat, fuck you Okami).
Not really. They're just not your thing. I still respect your opinion though.
>>
>>2919005
I don't even like 2D Zelda that much. I like games that "flow" like Ys. Getting lost in huge 3D maps to collect worthless trinkets is a nightmare to me.
>>
>>2915190
It seems to be the opposite in here, this game gets a lot of hate
>>
>>2919037
>I don't even like 2D Zelda that much. I like games that "flow" like Ys

Eh. I like the 2D Zeldas, but I personally don't care much for the Ys games. To each his own.
>>
File: 1410165479899.jpg (68KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
1410165479899.jpg
68KB, 480x480px
>>2915190

Ocarina of Time is a great game. You aren't always going to like everything.

I'm quite tired of seeing this sort of thread.

>"Why don't I like X game when a shit ton of people do?"

Why is OP always a faggot?
>>
>>2915190
I played it all those years ago when it was first released. You simply don't have taste OP. You are doomed to be forever a shitlord.
>>
>>2919074
fuck you guys i like both
>>
>>2919114

You aren't alone. I love both too. People are just edgey faggots so ignore them.

Recently played through ALTTP and had 36 deaths but that didn't sit well with me, so I replayed it all over again and only got 9. Feels good.
>>
>>2915190
I only ever enjoyed Zelda on NES. Don't really care for the 64 ones.
>>
>>2915190
It was a good game for its time, and it's still decent enough, but it's been surpassed in so many ways. Honestly, the main thing I'd want to have if I were to play OoT again is full camera control. The 3DS rerelease probably has it, but I don't know for sure.
>>
>>2919003
Not in the original, but sourceports should have something equivalent to cl_bob or cl_roll.
zdoom/gzdoom have movebob 0 / stillbob 0 for example.
>>
>>2915190
Because you're a fucking faggot who can't understand that this will always be the 10/10 GOAT, you ignorant dumb contrarian fat fuck.
>>
>>2919003
Mind you sourceports can kind of change the game. For example, at resolutions higher than 320x200 spectres are increasingly visible. In the original Doom spectres blend in so well that you can have 20 of them on the screen and not even know it in some cases. Almost all sourceports outside of chocolate doom will basically turn spectres into simple novelty pinkies.
>>
>>2915190
Nostalgia, autism and shit taste.

Only a small subset of gamers love Nintendo games, the rest either hate them or are indifferent to them.
>>
Back in the day Ocarina of Time was like a $100 in Elementary or Middle School playgrounds. It was the gold standard on which value was based.

Why, because it was that good.

Nintendo games retain their value by quality and OoT was the first game in history that tried to be more than a video game for one time period. And it succeeded.

In 1000 years, people will still remember the name "Ocarina of Time." Nobody will remember anything else from the N64/PS1 era.
>>
>>2915190
I have a theory, but it'll just start up a massive cry baby fit across the whole board, so here's the somewhat non-insulting version:

>OoT was a fairly fun game, but became less remarkable over time as the same thing was genuinely done better and better
>we hit a certain point in time, when FPS and TPS mechanics began to take over everything, and gaming is turning into a normalfag hobby
>oldfags ran to their pasts to hide, where OoT was dug up
>it was just simple nostalgia at first, but it grew and became perverted from it's true form, due to oldfags saying things like "they don;'t make them like this anymore!" and "no modern game is this good!"
>while true, endless amounts of arguably better games are overlooked, an even lost to time and OoT clings to fame solely becase of the word "Zelda" on the box. And the game's popularity became a meme of Star Wars proportions
>What happened next, is that the retro fad hit us harder than puberty hits a trannie. Hipsters of various varieties trying their hardest to look cool needed cred, and FAST! So they went for the easy target.
>N64 was less successful than PSX was, but was successful enough that general knowledge is out there. So it became their flagship console of "le epic retro meme!" and OoT, the console's Zelda title, became one of their flagship meme games

The sad reality is, that even though I'm sorta being a jerk about it, this isn't all that far from what actually happened.
More popular and generally better games from the past are being over looked, because there's no "cred" in that. So people go with the most popular games on the second most popular console of the era in order to save face and not look like hipster faggots. (good job, BTW)

That's about all there is to it.
>>
>>2919971
OoT has always been landmark game and always will be, kiddo.

Far too much innovation in an already amazing game.
>>
>>2919971

You clearly weren't around at the time. Every last ">" is incorrect.
>>
>>2919971
OoT was given some of the highest videogame scores period, that stand to this day in some gaming magazines. There was no retrospective glorifying as you imply. If there's anything to feel sad about it's you and your shit-talking nonsense, hope you get over it some day and realize people just have very different opinions.
>>
>>2915190
Probably just your shit taste.
>>
>>2915190
>>2919971
Here's my take on it as a kid that grew up on nothing but nintendo during what we now consider the retro days.

>Grow up watching older bro and his friends play Zelda on the nes, too young to really be able to play it so you stick to duckhunt/mario bros and the first levels of contra
>get older and a new system comes out, and that shit is cash yo
>LttP was one of the best adventure games released during the era, everybody who was anybody either owned it or borrowed it and beat it
> New console comes out and all the games are in 3D and holy shit i dont get how someone could even make a game in 3d it must take years
> You get your grubby little hands on a copy of OoT and slap it in.
>Words cannot begin to explain what its like to go from an overhead view of link to ACTUALLY SWORDFIGHTING
>you can dodge, leap attack, aim the slingshot or use this bad ass targeting system
>holy hell you can even play music and ride a horse its got freakin everything! Wait... wtf the suns actually goin down thats pretty cool
>OH SHIT NIGGER THERE'S SKELETONS!!!!

And so on throughout most of the game.

So yes, the reason we who grew up on the 8, 16, and 32 bit consoles treat it like it came down from the heavens is because it did so many new things in such an awesome way.

For a lot of us, its the first game where a swordfight was more than watching a sprite swish a sword in the exact same way for the thousandth time against the thousandth enemy whose only difference from the previous was a color swap.

Sure there were some good sidescrollers where you'd have some neat combos and different attacks, but it isn't the same as doing a backflip to dodge an attack, flank to the side to avoid the other enemies attacking from the rear, slashing a dude then swapping over to your ranged weapon to nail another guy in the face, then autotargeting a third and leap slashing your way to glory.
>>
File: satoru-iwata-fun-for-everyone.jpg (39KB, 638x358px) Image search: [Google]
satoru-iwata-fun-for-everyone.jpg
39KB, 638x358px
>>2919971
You're looking too deep into it, which is usually a sign that something is deeply wrong with your view of something. It's a form of argumentum ad ignorance. You're trying to talk yourself into your own viewpoint, when a sparse number of people may actually be ascribed to it. How it actually went:
>N64 was failing in Japan.
>Nintendo had an ace in the hole in Rare; plus Mario's continued popularity made N64 a hot seller in America.
>This gave Miyamoto the leeway he needed to delay OoT for a whole year, as Nintendo was rushing it to be a cinematic masterpiece.
>OoT came out in a time when video games were headed down a dark alley into all cinema games. Evidence: Half-life and Project Dream documentaries. The games were supposed to be super linear and very rushed before Nintendo showed Super Mario 64 and Rare's Goldeneye 007 which turned their world upside-down.
>OoT came out. Was the first nonlinear adventure 3D game. Innovated the industry and showed people what video games could be rather than a shadow of what was possible like PS1/PC games at the time.
>suddenly sudden burst in nonlinear games, all because of OoT, but all of which failed to topple it because they lacked its solidarity in production value and attention to detail.
>5 years later TWW included MQ which rocketed OoT back to public eye if they missed out on the GCN.
>Another influx of sandbox games came out, but like a soggy pancake with too much syrup, the luxury of hindsight shows they all sucked. As evidenced by the fact you didn't want to bring any of them up to demonstrate.
>Ocarina of Time holds strong its mythical status.
>people with good taste always default to it when judging what a good game should be. In time that made it the gold standard.
>/v/ and sites alike can't be asked to believe that something mainstream can be right because contrarianism is a way of life to some people.
>OoT's reputation fosters a seeming Love it or Hate it mentality that you and OP are helping.

History101
>>
>>2920072
Someone who grew up with 6thgen or latter I don't know. They have shit taste regardless and very little was innovated. What was innovated generally didn't sell well.

Outside of cancer like DLC, QTE, and movie/walking sim games.
>>
File: legends1024.jpg (222KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
legends1024.jpg
222KB, 1024x768px
>>2920074
How the fuck is OoT nonlinear?
Also, Hello. Beat OoT by a year.
>>
>>2920102
Different anon. I like Legends and Trone Bonne but cmon. It's not near as good as OoT.

Also you can do different stuff in OoT. The dungeons for the most part are linear though. For the time it's not linear.
>>
>>2920074
OoT wasn't the first non-linear 3D adventure game, there's Megaman Legends and (even earlier) Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon.

It would be better to argue that OoT was the first without any poorly implemented 3D mechanics (for example, the targeting system in Goemon is virtually non-existent, and in Megaman Legends it is quite limited)
>>
>>2920143
invented/first =/= innovated/made popular

I really don't understand why this is so hard for some people. Obvious answer is autism I guess.
>>
>>2920154
>invented/first =/= innovated
I might be able to agree with "made popular", but as far as "innovated". Nigga, do you actually know what "innovate" means, or do you just listen to nintendo give E3 speeches and think that "innovation" is some sort of magic powder that Iwata used to fart out on the reg?

I mean, srs fucking question: do you actually know what innovate means?
>>
>>2920418
Might want to google the definitions. You seem to be one of the people I'm talking about.
>>
>>2915190

Was it the first time you played OoT ?

When it came out, it was really the Messiah. Then, i guess nostalgia did the rest.

Of course, it's kinda difficult today, cuz it's kinda "ugly". I guess a teen today wouldn't even lay his eyes on it.

But that was the real deal, back then. I still love it like a mad man.
>>
File: _e60.png (141KB, 312x236px) Image search: [Google]
_e60.png
141KB, 312x236px
>>2920074
>and showed people what video games could be rather than a shadow of what was possible like PS1/PC games at the time.
>this is what Nintoddlers actually believe

Also, you're really overestimating that game's worth in the industry anon. If anything bout half of its popularity came from the fact it's part of an already well established franchise.
>>
>>2920661
As someone who has a PS1 at the time, I don't actually disagree with him. OoT really did do that much more than anything else that had been accomplished up till then.
>>
>>2920678
>OoT really did do that much more than anything else that had been accomplished up till then.
For the most part it didn't do anything the previous Zeldas already did. Pretty much the only elements that stood out was a properly implemented 3D targeting system (like that other anon mentioned) and camera, introducing controllable transportation to the series (in the form of Epona), and that's it.

Now don't get me wrong, I like the game myself (though not as much as I used to), but let's not ahead of ourselves here.
>>
File: ooTNonlinearity.png (216KB, 925x637px) Image search: [Google]
ooTNonlinearity.png
216KB, 925x637px
>>2920102
>>2920143
It's almost as if you know next to nothing about video games, which wouldn't be a surprise given the audience this thread attracts. OoT was very nonlinear. The game has something like 14 realizable routes after you become an adult to complete the dungeons in. That only includes main dungeons and doesn't include side-quests that can enhance that (like buying Blue Fire and using it in Ice Cavern). Add those and you would probably not be able to find a more nonlinear game than OoT short of Star Fox 64.

Also, MML doesnt have targeting. It has one-time vector calculation. It pivots the camera towards the enemy along the X-axis. So innovative. Not.

>>2920661
>>2920690
Following in the footsteps of Zelda 1 and A Link to the Past's innovations, Ocarina of Time was the first game to feature:
- Context-sensitive Action Button
- 3D lock-on targeting.
- Designed with rumble as a gameplay mechanism (fishing, Stone of Agony)
- An interconnected 3D overworld map.
- Geolocational foreshadowing (this may not seem big, but imagine being the first game to attempt a world with this).
- Real-time measurement (clocks), time-keeping (the game keeps track of how many days pass until you shut it off for Biggoron quest/fishing hole), day/night transitions, actor schedules.
- A dual 3D world.
- Vehicular control that expands nonlinearity.
- 3D tile alteration and precision-based model swaps (signs, deku sticks, butterflies, Bean Sprouts, Gohma eggs, Iron Knuckles, Ganondorf's cape, freezing enemies/vice versa)
- Feet level detection (it's a staple expected in all modern gen games).
- Dedicated instrumental orchestration and music playback (both Scarecrow songs)
>>
>>2920821
Let's not delude ourselves, you MIGHT have a choice between doing shadow temple or spirit temple but only if you already played the game beforehand and know exactly where to go.
>>
>>2920824
and also between fire and water temple
>>
>>2920821
literally all of those routes except two require the abuse of bugs, glitches, or going into a dungeon to get it's item and then specifically leaving to go tackle another one.

Basically, you're full of shit.
>>
>>2920824
>>2920826
Forest, Fire, Water are all interchangable up to Dark Link. Spirit can be completed at any time. Shadow any time after Forest, Fire, Water.

In case that image was too confusing.

>>2920828
>bugs
There's only one deliberate exploit in that image. Not a bug. An exploration of the game's elements.
>glitches
The only one there is the Golden Gauntlets glitch, which thanks for pointing out, since it just shows OoT is even more nonlinear. Doing that is the only way to show Zelda the Mask of Truth without first entering Dodongo's Cavern.
>getting a dungeon's item and specifically leaving
There's only one instance of that. Isn't that the definition of nonlinearity anyways? You can do whatever you want. Try to move the goal post more, and you might have an argument.
>>
>>2920821
>Following in the footsteps of Zelda 1 and A Link to the Past's innovations, Ocarina of Time was the first game to feature:
>- Context-sensitive Action Button

Wow, first one and you already fucked your list up. Too bad.
>>
>>2915190
It mystified me from the time it came out to now
The best I can think of is it was pounced on by the influx of new gamers at the time who cared about nothing but the fact that it was the first "real 3d game" they'd ever played. It was arguably one of the first large, competent 3d games, but that doesn't make it good
>>
>>2920847
>I don't know what a context-sensitive action button is.

OoT was the first game where you could attack, roll, jump, dive, drag, push, mount/dismount, dash, pick up, toss, talk, check, cancel, take out (fairy), put away; and more with one button.
>>
File: art_zeldaCartoon-01.jpg (32KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
art_zeldaCartoon-01.jpg
32KB, 640x360px
>>2920848
You're right. This and its overall uniformity of good design is what makes it good.

>>2920821
>>2920821
>>2920821
>>
File: titanic_blog2.jpg (1MB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
titanic_blog2.jpg
1MB, 2048x1536px
RIP in Peace OP.

You had a thread going until you hit this iceberg. >>2920821
>>
>>2920862
They had that shit as far back as game likes Renegade, and Resident Evil was definitely using the concept of assigning one button to do what makes sense given the current context before OoT was. Hell, Link to the Past was doing that shit. Its like you haven't played anything prior to 1999.
>>
>>2920896
You can only shoot and do menial things in Resident Evil unless you want to refresh my memory. Same with every game before it. OoT was the first game to say "what if this button did multiple things at once at any moment."

I have no idea what Renegade is, but unless you show some proof I'm inclined to disbelieve it, since it's an accomplishment attributed to OoT historically.
>>
>>2920821
>3D lock-on targeting.
Cyber Troopers: Virtual on had lock-on in a 3d enviroment in 1995. I have never played OoT so could you tell me what makes its lock-on different? Why is it a new thing when OoT does it?
>>
>>2916032
Tomba *2* is my fucking JAM. My little brother knows even more about it than me and can run it much quicker, but I can still 100% it.
>>
>>2920905
>menial things
That's exactly what a context-sensitive action button is - it's for all the stupid shit you don't need to dedicate a whole button for.

>I have no idea what Renegade is
It was a beat em up where you have a left attack and a right attack - and depending on which way you were facing, would perform either a punch or a kick. You know, like a context-sensitive button does. A more famous version of this control scheme was in Double Dragon 2 NES.

>it's an accomplishment attributed to OoT historically.
By who, video game historians? If they existed, they would tell you that the only accomplishment OoT did in terms of context-sensitive buttons was that it was the first to DISPLAY what the action was.
>>
>>2920905
>You can only shoot and do menial things in Resident Evil unless you want to refresh my memory.

Climb stairs/ladders, open doors, examine objects, pick up items were all mapped to one button. Link to the Past had even more: dive, drag, dash, pick up, toss, talk, check: and more with one button.

>since it's an accomplishment attributed to OoT historically.

2 things. First, On Screen Prompts for the action button are what you're thinking of. OoT was allegedly the first to flash up on the screen what the action button would do in any particular circumstance. Can't think of anything off the top of my head that contradicts that.

Second, you're setting yourself up for failure there. All anyone has to do is take anything you listed and point out an example of someone doing that before OoT, and you're only defense is "Well, I don't consider that an example of xxxx because..."
>>
>>2920928
Oh wow, I have never heard of this game. It looks like it does do what OoT did with some key differences.

First, it doesn't stay locked on. If the opponent moves out of your view you have to dash and lock-on again. This is no doubt because the game is software-3D and not Real 3D rendering like N64 games (only the 3DO was before the N64 in this, I know that much), so you could still say that it accomplished it first I will give you that. Howbeit it looks like even the Xbox Live version of the game (which looks like it was remade in Real 3D), still requires you to constantly keep jumping so as to keep the opponent in your peripheral no doubt. It's a good illusion to make it look like it's 3D lock-on, but I would say it's more on-rails lock-on. You jump up, and the game keeps you vectored unto an enemy's position before locking you down again.

I'll let you have this one though. It's a lot closer to OoT than MML.
>>
>>2920928
>>2920984
OoT didn't invent much,. It innovated a lot.

Learn the difference. It's what's expected of lock on systems
>>
>>2920974
>>2920978
>All anyone has to do is take anything you listed and point out an example of someone doing that before OoT, and you're only defense is "Well, I don't consider that an example of xxxx because..."

But neither of you listed anything to the contrary. You could do all those things in OoT except open doors by locking on or they needed no button. And sprite flipping isn't context sensitive.

Am I being trolled or are these real examples?
>>
>>2920992
They did. You're willfully ignoring it.
>>
File: 14_Light15_Large.jpg (146KB, 800x440px) Image search: [Google]
14_Light15_Large.jpg
146KB, 800x440px
>>2920989
An invention is an innovation.

OoT was still the first 3D game with lock-on targeting. You can't lock-on to something an keep moving how you want to in any games that have been listed in this thread until Ocarina of Time was released on November 21, 1998 in Japan and two days later in the US.

You have all made valiant efforts to disprove, worthy of applause, but it's time to put down the computer. History is not on your side.
>>
>>2921007
>An invention is an innovation.

No it's not champ. Please read a book you fucking idiot.

OoT was very innovative.
>>
File: OcarinaOfTimeBattle.jpg (67KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
OcarinaOfTimeBattle.jpg
67KB, 640x480px
>>2921010
It was also very inventive. Hence why it was the first to do all these things >>2920821

We're just going around in circles now because you can't admit how wrong you were.

An ad hominem is the first sign that the person you're arguing with is ill-equipped to continue because they lack understanding into the topic at hand.
>>
>>2920992
>But neither of you listed anything to the contrary

RE, LttP, and Renegade, how dense are you being?

>Am I being trolled
Am I? You've ignored all our points and offered no reasons why.

>You could do all those things in OoT except open doors by locking on or they needed no button

What are you even trying to say here? That because these games didn't do the exact same actions as OoT, then they aren't context-sensitive? Do we need to brush up on what a context-sensitive button actually is, because I suspect you don't actually know now.

Jesus, that would explain everything - you don't even know what the fuck the term means and yet you're arguing about it.
>>
>>2921018
This is an odd troll. I can only imagine you're either mentaling defeciant or some child.

Anybody can read a dictionary man. How can you possibly say.... You know what. Like I said above. This is a troll or you're fucking idiot.
>>
>>2921007

People are still going to fling shit over it though. I don't know why; it's still the best game in terms of excelling in control, art style, exploration, and combat. There might be games that do one of those individual elements better by now, but no game since OOT has mqde innovations in all those qualities at once.

If you think about it, OOT is the Star Wars of gaming. It's not perfect, but it blew everyone away when it came out and there hasn't been much since to evoke the same positive player experience.
>>
>>2921029

Also sound design and music.
>>
File: super-mario-bros-deluxe.png (19KB, 959x863px) Image search: [Google]
super-mario-bros-deluxe.png
19KB, 959x863px
>>2921023
>>2921026
Those aren't context-sensitive. At this point I'm convinced you both are giving up, which is indicative of the fact why you would support this thread. You have shit taste and opinions.

Sprite-flipping? Really? A convention of video games since they were born?

OH DAMN, HOLD THE PHONES AND STOP THE PRESSES! I guess Mario was context-sensitive because you could jump left and right and for the duration that you held the button!!

You've provided no examples. you're just listing the same three games that are non-sequitors to this argument in a vain attempt to bring down the quality of discourse.

I admit, my ladders/doors nitpick against RE was a contradiction since I listed it in OoT, but the fact is, it doesn't do those things like OoT did.
>>
>>2920821
Some of these points brought up were already done by some games before OoT, except you know, on PC.
>>
>>2921041
List them.

That's what this thread is for.
>>
>>2921040
I've just written you off as an idiot, but you're being intransigent about the whole thing, so talking to you is pointless. I've said my piece, so anyone reading this thread will at least not be suckered in to your bull shit.
>>
>>2915190
I know how you feel, OP. I loved OoT, MM, ALttP, and other Zelda titles when I played them, but a few months ago I tried Link's Adventure and it was an abysmal experience.
>>
>>2921053
>>2921040
If you're too dumb to look up the difference of innovate and invent you should probably just stick to reddit.
>>
>>2921026
>mentaling defeciant
>Anybody can read a dictionary man
>>
>>2921026
>How can you possibly say.... You know what
Fuck off
>>
>>2921041
>>2921047
Besides, some of these points brought up, like "3D interconnected overworld map" or "model swaps", even if it was the first to do it in 3D, which may be the case or not, I wouldn't consider "innovations" because many 2D games were getting the same features for a long time before.
You're being over-precise for the sake of finding "innovations", except in those cases your innovation is that it was the first to do some 2D things in 3D, and it's not like the game invented 3D either.

Also I bet my left nut we could find a game from the 80's with "real-time measurements".

Finally, using non intended glitches to skip to another dungeon doesn't make the game more unlinear by design.
>>
>>2915190
I think this game is really cool for what it is. Great graphics for N64.

Played it with a friend for the first time about a year ago, and while we were usually frustrated with how slow it was, it's got a lot of imagination and cool stuff.

The only Zelda I've played all the way through is the NES game, so I guess my opinion doesn't mean much.
>>
>>2921086
>>2920821
As for "gameplay related rumble", it's not like it was a landmark that inspired the entire industry. What I mean is, yeah it's a cool little thing it probably did first, but it didn't exactly catch on. Plenty of games have small things like this which they are the only ones to do.

And for " Vehicular control that expands nonlinearity.", the horse in OoT pretty much works like any other item that expands the possibilities and lets you access new areas. Like the hookshot, or the feather in Link's Awakening. So instead of a feather, you get a horse, big fucking deal, it's not like OoT invented vehicules either.
>>
File: shrugs.png (499KB, 449x642px) Image search: [Google]
shrugs.png
499KB, 449x642px
>>2915729
>N64 Library
>mostly shit

It had much less to offer than the PS1 and its predecessors (except the Virtual Boy) admittedly, but I thought most of the games on there were decent. I can still see why one wouldn't like it much though.
>>
>>2921047
Well, for
>- Real-time measurement (clocks), time-keeping (the game keeps track of how many days pass until you shut it off for Biggoron quest/fishing hole), day/night transitions, actor schedules.

I've been trying to find the name of a game for the last few mins but I can't remember for the life of me, but here goes: Pretty old isometric game, late 80's early 90's, on PC but was also ported to other platforms, you played the role of a monk in a monastery. The entire game took place during a single week, and the game kept track of time, days, and NPCs would do certain things at certain times of certain days that you had to figure out.

So there, if only I could remember the name of the game.... Another game exactly like that was made that took place in a prison, which was obviously the main inspiration for the non retro game "The Escapists".

IIRC it didn't have a day/night circle because it took place indoors, but as for that you can check Isle Of The Dead as a random example.
>>
>>2921153
Ah, found it.

http://www.mobygames.com/game/la-abada-del-crimen
>>
>>2921123
>it's not like Oot invented vehicles
It invented vehicles in 3D.

It was the first game where you could mount something and drive around. Not just a change in avatar.
>>
>>2921176
Terminator Future Shock, just to name one.
>>
>>2921190
Nah, I just looked it up on youtube.
>>
>>2920984
>software-3D and not Real 3D rendering like N64 games

WTF would that have to do with it? Vector math works the same way regardless, unless you're talking about a lack of floating point operations or something.
>>
I played OoT for the first time this year. It was the first Zelda I've ever played, the franchise just never really interested me. I can honestly say it was one of the most enjoyable gaming experiences I've had in a while.
>>
>>2921743

Did you beat it?

My favorite section of the game is the every passed getting the Master Sword. It's my favorite game of all time, but I think I may be in the minority when I say that the game doesn't truly pick up until then.

I often find that /v/ users and such play it until they beat the first dungeon or so, decide they hate it, and then think they know enough to constantly bash it on 4chan with the purpose of infuriating its fans.
>>
>>2915190
Disregarding the novelty of the game when it was released, the game still presents a very explorable world with a lot to do and see, fun engaging combat, very memorable boss fights and dungeons, a generic but well-presented story, and great music throughout. I can understand it not being your favorite Zelda game (it's not mine), and I can understand disliking it. But if you can't "see the hype" you're not looking very hard.
>>
>>2921623
Software 3D and Real 3D are two different worlds. Software 3D is the appearance of a 3D plane projected unto a screen that lacks a Z axis. Real 3D like the N64 and 3DO, was actual 3D. This is extremely relevant 3D camera control. However I don't know enough about technology to go over it with you so I'll just quote it verbatim.
http://www.google.com/patents/US6239810?dq=6239810&ei=T4jBT-v6GePC0QWv87i-Cg
>High performance low cost video game system with coprocessor providing high speed efficient 3D graphics and digital audio signal processing
>US 6239810 B1
>ABSTRACT
>A low cost high performance three dimensional (3D) graphics system can model a world in three dimensions and project the model onto a two dimensional viewing plane selected based on a changeable viewpoint. The viewpoint can be changed on an interactive, real time basis by operating user input controls such as game controllers. The system rapidly produces a corresponding changing image (which can include animated cartoon characters or other animation) on the screen of a color television set. The richly featured high performance low cost system gives consumers the chance to interact in real time right inside magnificent virtual 3D worlds to provide a high degree of image realism, excitement and flexibility. An optimum feature set/architecture (including a custom designed graphics/audio coprocessor) provides high quality fast moving 3D images and digital stereo sound for video game play and other graphics applications. Numerous features provide flexibility and capabilities in a system within the cost range of most consumers.

What I was saying is that the reason you have to dash again to lock-on to the enemy in Cyber Troopers is because there is no 3D environment. The game has to generate it anew if it leaves your view. I presume the enemy keeps attacking you based on a timed algorithm if this happens and you opt not to. In any
>>
>>2915313
>is overrated
It was overrated. Since 2011, there's this trend of hate towards OoT. I blame the remake and youtube faggotry.
>>
>>2922065
>What I was saying is that the reason you have to dash again to lock-on to the enemy in Cyber Troopers is because there is no 3D environment.
holy shit way to be clueless about wtf you're talking about
>>
>>2922065
>Software 3D is the appearance of a 3D plane projected unto a screen that lacks a Z axis

Seriously, what the fuck. Software is capable of performing any calculations hardware is, though different systems may use different algorithms or techniques to achieve a given effect. An older system without 3D hardware support for it might 'cheat' by performing cheaper or more limited perspective calculations (like the PS1 did) among other things. But that has jack shit to do with "(having to) generate it anew if it leaves your view" which happens each frame anyway, save techniques that limit the render rate for static or far away objects. Which has nothing to do with lock-on logic.
>>
>>2922198
>>2922320
Ok, the thing about generating it anew was stupid. But everything else was right.

That's why PS1 games have to be modified before they can be released in HD as it reveals the lack of perspective because the games are flat. Yeah it can tell where you and the enemy are because it's still an actor on a flat plane. But it's not real lock-on because the camera cannot generate a 3D environment.
>>
>>2922356
>That's why PS1 games have to be modified before they can be released in HD as it reveals the lack of perspective because the games are flat.

No, it's due to a lack of sub-pixel precision which becomes more obvious the higher resolution you go because normally on PS1 vertices skip from 1 pixel to the next. If you upscale 4 times, the polygons skip 4 pixels at a time which is stupidly jerky.

>But it's not real lock-on because the camera cannot generate a 3D environment.
There's some merit in this argument, because if you have a z-buffer you can extrapolate extra scene information to do particular styles of special effects (like anti-aliasing) but I think it would be a bit of a stretch that you'd need z-depth to do a lock-system. It's possible, but where's the evidence?

Z-targeting I thought would only need the renderer to set up a camera with a particular style projection.
>>
>>2922356
>But it's not real lock-on because the camera cannot generate a 3D environment.

Dude, stop. You have no idea what you're saying. The positioning data allows you to calculate camera co-ordinates and orientation, period. This is entirely logical. That has jack shit to do with how the game ends up doing the perspective transform or actually rasterizing the image, which is what I assume you're confused about.

Unless the original version of Cyber Troopers can only properly render the game from fixed angles (which, I have no clue about), I have no idea what you're trying to say, but that is not a limitation of 'software 3D' or whatever you think that is.
>>
File: affine.png (141KB, 1143x526px) Image search: [Google]
affine.png
141KB, 1143x526px
>>2922382
Sub-pixel precision is only why actors in the game change shape or jitter around. The real problem is this which goes into your second comment.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texture_mapping#Perspective_correctness

But I've exhausted the limits of my knowledge and had to research even this, so let's just agree to disagree as it doesn't sound like either of us knows what we're talking about.
>>
>>2922430
Affine texture mapping doesn't have issues with scaling into higher resolutions - it only becomes more noticeable, but not worse.

>i don't know what i'm taking about so neither do you! neh neh neh
>>
To fully understand it you had to play it back when it released in 1998 , it was the quantum leap for gaming, the first game to be able to tell a story on a grand scale whilst enjoying an enormous sense of 3d open world freedom. every aspect of this game is executed flawlessly and even today with a HD port for the 3ds this game has stood the test of time better than any other in history!.
>>
>>2922474
>i don't know what i'm taking about so neither do you! neh neh neh

That pretty much seem to be his argument.
>>
>>2915190
3D Zeld<<<<<<<2D Zeld

All 3D Zeld is fucking trash.
>>
File: 25.png (1MB, 648x605px) Image search: [Google]
25.png
1MB, 648x605px
>>2922520
>Zeld
>>
>>2922520

>would not type out the extra 'a'

That's it, from now on you shall be known as "zedla", you lazy millennial piece of texting twattershit.
>>
>>2921195
>>2921176
Dude, just stop. Again you're being overprecise for the sake of finding innovations.

Because a game is the first to do something under a new perspective, doesn't make that something "innovation" if it was already being done in another perspective.
>>
File: 1386652736834.jpg (23KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
1386652736834.jpg
23KB, 250x250px
>>2922552
>Some anonymous kiddie gets fucking ass shattered because I left the letter a out of Zelda

Jesus christ, you poor, autismo fucking mongoloid.
>>
>>2922568

That's enough out of you, zedla.
>>
>>2922552
>millennial
Yeah, fuck those retards who were born in '82. 1981 4 lyfe!
>>
>>2915190
"Why did people in the eighties adore SMB so much when it's clearly inferior to so many modern day platformers?"
>>
>>2915190
if you play it as a kid or adult now a days then you won't see what's so great about it. Back in it's time this game was amazing. I remember having friends sleep over and playing this when I was a kid along with super smash 64, mario kart 64, conkers bad fur day, donkey kong 64, paper mario, pokemon stadium, majora's mask, Pokemon snap.
Idk how to explain it man. But you just had to be born at the right age and time to enjoy this
>>
>>2915190
You only hate it because you're underage and too young to know what it was like when it first came out. Grow up already and stop trying to be a contrarian.
>>
>>2924539
Ur wrong, not dead wrong but wrong. I have many friends playing this for the first time and acknowledging it as a really gr8 game. Its not just nostalgia, this game is stll very good and unique. Dont lose your faith son your not blinded by nostalgia
>>
>>2915720

Trolling?

There's an owl that actually STOPS you from progressing so it can babble at you about what you should be doing next, and prevent you from having a chance to figure it out yourself.
>>
Emulate it and play it this this texture pack http://www.emutalk.net/threads/53556-Merry-Xmas-OOT-2011-and-MM-2001

It literally looks like a Wii U game... literally.
>>
File: 1dc.png (229KB, 4000x4000px) Image search: [Google]
1dc.png
229KB, 4000x4000px
>>2927382
>It literally looks like a Wii U game... literally
I more liked the original look, this texture pack adds makes look like Toon Zeldas more.
>>
>>2915339
>it kinda sucks now but you had to be there, OoT was revolutionary because it brought this world into 3D when gamers of the time were going apeshit over this 3D fad.
I was there, and I wasn't going apeshit over 3D. All OoT did was justify my fears that Zelda couldn't work in 3D.
>>
>>2927582
The 3D games are deeper and more full of content than the 2D games though.
>>
Super BunnyHop had interesting commentary on this very topic a number of years ago as part of a retrospective of the whole franchise :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ePdD52WE-tY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3J2jk3AyP9M
>>
>>2924539
""you just had to be born at the right age and time to enjoy this"
>enjoy
This is really LUNATIC asylum stuff.
>>
>>2927582
>All OoT did was justify my fears that Zelda couldn't work in 3D.
Eh, I thought it was one of the few game series that did transition well to 3D. To each his own.
>>
File: 1442630836199.png (359KB, 881x1079px) Image search: [Google]
1442630836199.png
359KB, 881x1079px
http://strawpoll.me/6583055

OFFICIAL /VR/ STRAW POLL

We need to decide this once or for all /vr/
>>
>>2927678
pretty good vids. makes good counterpoints to that other eceleb. shame the kiddos will only listen to the loudest and most popular.
>>
>>2927730

How about some non shitty options? It's like bethesda wrote the choices.
>>
>>2927819
its a yes/no question
>>
I really liked the 3DS version. The only thing I hated that the original game doesn't have and the 3DS version could've made is a mode where you could play any Dungeon, like a "Dungeon Rush" mode.
>>
>>2927823
No, it's not. Yes and No aren't even given responses, for one thing.
>>
>>2927730
Anyone who voted hated it, doesn't being on /vr/
>>
>>2919965
>this whole post
Thread posts: 187
Thread images: 23

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.