[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Couldn't find any threads related to Metroid and I'm

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 3

File: Funny Filename.jpg (260KB, 1232x693px) Image search: [Google]
Funny Filename.jpg
260KB, 1232x693px
Couldn't find any threads related to Metroid and I'm looking to getting into the series. I want to start with the original, though in my research I found that Zero Mission is a remake of the original. Should I play Zero Mission instead of the original, or is it like playing Twin Snakes instead of MGS?
>>
>>2906618
Zero mission is frankly better in every way. It's an excellent remake.
>>
>>2906618

Zero Mission>Original

The original is still playable(especially if you LOVE 8-bit games) but it is definitely one of those cases where the remake wins out.
>>
>>2906621
>better in every way
It's lower resolution than the original.
>>
Thanks for the info Anons, that's good to hear. Guess I'll leave the thread up unless janitors would prefer otherwise.
>>
Get and play both. Both are great games.
>>
>>2906639
I might get back to the original after I play through most of the series, I got a lot of games to get to though.
>>
>>2906632
Hello, autism.
>>
>>2906618
Zero Mission includes the NES version of Metroid, so you can't go wrong getting it.
>>
Metroid NES
>>
I massively prefer the original for many reasons but that's just my personal preference. Zero Mission's certainly easier and has fewer wtfhwistkt moments.
>>
>>2906712
Me too.
>>
>>2906618
Zero Mission is probably my favorite Metroid, and is a prime example of a remake done right.

If you want to get into the series, either one would be a good starting point, but from a biased perspective, I'd say start with ZM and then move on to Metroid II.
>>
>>2906712
>wtfhwistkt

wot
>>
>>2906639
>>2906646
There's no need to get both. Metroid Zero Mission also has the original Metroid on cart as an added bonus.
>>
>>2906748
>what the fuck how was i supposed to know that
I've never even see that abbreviation before but it was pretty obvious
>>
>>2906649
He's just stating that it isn't better in every way.
>>
>>2906749
Original Metroid in Zero Mission is squished that's why I rather just play it on a proper NES, Wii, 3DS, OR Wii U
>>
NES Metroid tests your mettle, play that.

Zero Mission is a pussified remake with no atmosphere or challenge. Also, there's a steatlh section tacked on to the end of the game that's just awful.
>>
Zero Mission is a close enough remake that they're pretty similar, but at the end of the day they're different enough that they're both worth playing.

In a lot of ways I prefer the original simply because Zero Mission isn't that satisfying to explore. Everything after Mother Brain is dull and superfluous, too. Both are good though.
>>
>>2906773
>>2906786
This.
>>
NES Metroid did not age well. For once, it's difficulty isn't balanced, and for second it's graphics are ugly.
>>
>>2906829
Nah, just because you personally didn't enjoy an older game doesn't mean it "did not age well"
I played it for the first time via the 3DS ambassador thing and I had a good time.
>>
>>2906831
right-o. one of my favorite parts of playing the original was mapping out zebes on graph paper. looking for suspicious gaps in the map is how i managed to find a lot of the secrets in the game.
>>
>>2906618
I had the exact dilemma a few days ago and chose to play the remake.
It's a solid game and it's very addictive.
Overall I feel like it's a great introduction to the series.
>>
The original Metroid is included as an unlockable on Zero Mission, so you can play through ZM, unlock NES Metroid, then mess around with it.

ZM does improve upon the original game substantially, but some sacrifices are made as well. ZM's presentation is a lot more linear, and sequence breaking is pretty difficult to pull off due to all the obstacles the developers put in your way. In the original Metroid, you could explore the world at your leisure.

As another Anon also pointed out, the resolution is smaller. This results in corridors feeling a lot more cramped. Samus can't even jump up without hitting her head on the ceiling.

The linearity may in fact make ZM a good place to start though. You'll be able to get a feel for the power-up system and other mechanics without being overwhelmed by an open world.
>>
Metroid 1 has aged pretty horribly in my opinion. Unless NES has a large place in your heart I would start with Zero Mission.

Not all /vr/, but here is my recommended play order if you'd like to get into the series: Zero Mission -> Super -> Prime. If you liked the 2D games more then play Fusion next and maybe check out AM2R if Metroid II is too dated for you. If you liked Prime then play 2 and 3. Ignore Other M. Hunters is meh.
>>
When it comes to playing the original Metroid I would either play it on NES, Wii, 3DS, or Wii U.
Don't play the GBA Classics or Zero Mission ones, due to the small screen of the GBA, the original Metroid had to be horribly squished to fit the screen.
>>
The original NES Metroid was also an unlockable game in Metroid Prime on gamecube.
>>
>>2906618
One is retro, the other is not.
>not /vr/
Reported
>>
>>2908116

Pure cancer. You must burn in the radioactive glare of chemo, abomination.
>>
>>2908116
>ANNOUNCING A REPORT
For what purpose?
>>
>>2908235

Four-watt porpoise.
>>
File: 138499660772.gif (991KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
138499660772.gif
991KB, 320x240px
>>2906618
Because of this thread I started playing Zero Mission yesterday and beat it today. I'd played vanilla and Super when I was young and appreciatied the mix of the two in Zero.

Honestly I was taken aback by how much fun Zero was today. Every time I got stuck or died I thought, "lets try that just one more time" and usually got past a part the next 2nd or 3rd try. It was rivetting in that sense. I haven't sat in my chair playing something for 4-5 hours in a long time but it really is so much fun.

Zero is a great example of good game design. You learn in such a good incremental way.
The additional 2D stealth gameplay at the end is so much fun and that robotic space pirate gets easier every time you fight him; even if you groan at first if you die on the escape. Each time you fight it again the patterns become so much more apparent and you end up just thinking about how to deal with those elites by the ship while you're fighting him.

Zero Mission is awesome. Thanks for the turn on, /vr/.
>>
>>2907452
But other M was good metroid gameplay
>>
>>2908235
That's also a banable offense.
>>
>>2906618
I'd start with Zero mission, but if you want to play the original, I'd recommend you'd use some of the available romhacks to make your user experience more comfortable (automap hack comes to mind, for instance).
>>
>>2906773
>Zero Mission is a pussified remake with no atmosphere or challenge.
>no challenge
Try getting one of the good endings instead of just blasting through it on easy.
>>
>>2906829
The only good Metroid games are Metroid and Metroid 2. Super Metroid is boring crap. Fight me.
>>
>>2909104
The door transition animations are too slow for the game to be enjoyable. It's like the screen transition animations in Zelda 1. And it's too annoying having to fastforward them every time. Maybe somebody could add fastforward control opcodes to the emulators and hack them into the roms to automate it. This would be great for JRPGs too.
>>
>>2906618
I detest Zero Mission because of the huge gravity in the physics. Unlike pretty much every other Metroid game, you are nothing remotely resembling "floaty" in Zero Mission. I recommend a ROM hack of the original that adds a map system to the game. That was really the only thing lacking in the original anyway.
>>
>>2906618
Seriously, play both if you can. I prefer the NES game just for how awesome it was at the time, but Zero Mission rules in a totally different way.
>>
Metroid 1 might be my favorite Metroid, but admittedly, it took multiple times playing it (and using maps for the first two times) before i went from "hating it" to "loving it." ZM is a good place to start, though I don't like the stealth sequence and the game imo is too easy (even if you do the 15% challenges) - though there is a hard mode that probably should have been the default.

I started Metroid with Prime, then Fusion, then Super, so it took a while for me to work my way backwards into the series, playing the more "unrefined" titles.

>>2908946
Not in any way. Items were "hidden" in the most obvious places, there were barely any environmental puzzles, and the game never allowed you to explore until the very end. In every way the game is a failure.
>>
>>2909382
I like the color palette of Metroid NES a lot. It is truly garish and alien, whereas later games are a lot more subdued. Those bubbly-thing structures in Norfair will always be my favorite environment ever.
>>
>>2909559

street fighter 2010 i find feels like an extension of that strange bubble like impractical enviro aesthetic. i sound like such a fucking hipster but it's true that I love it.
>>
I'm not a good judge because of my love of the original.

But... goddammit, it's like Star Wars original un-touched up. Sure the super duper special edition Blu-ray is prettier and the changes aren't bad if it's your first time watching it...

But the original is the original, anywhere it falls short it was the intention of the original creators...
>>
>>2910739
Everybody hates the blu ray changes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0EUjobdavw
>>
>>2910745
Speak for yourself, a lot of those changes made tons of sense, including the Hayden Christensen Jedi ghost switch at the end of Episode 6 that burns all the purists' asses.
>>
>>2909069
Zero Mission poses no challenge even on Hard. Why would I bother trying to get one of Zero Mission's good endings when it's more satisfying to get a good ending in Metroid since it puts up a fight?
>>
>>2911025
not everyone can be a master gamer like you m8
>>
>>2909212
But in the original Metroid, having no map and getting lost / having to explore and find where to go was part of the fun.
>>
>>2910871
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J0EUjobdavw
>>
>>2911083
In the hack I'm thinking of, it only maps places you've already been and it doesn't tell you where you have to go. Thus you still have to explore, but you don't get those "I'm lost in a labyrinth of rooms that look identical" moments that force you to look up maps online or (for the super dedicated) make a graph paper map. Best of both worlds, if you ask me.
>>
>>2911615
Where can I find this hack?

I need this.
>>
>>2906618
Anyone who says Zero Mission is a better game than the original needs their fucking head examined.
>>
Zero Mission is a better game than the original
>>
Zero Mission and Metroid 1 are basically 2 entirely different games. ZM is a remake only in the sense of having the same map and story, but the controls and gameplay mechanics are way different and it even has some abilities and hidden areas that weren't in the original.

While Zero Mission is more accessible and considered the "canon" version of Metroid 1, you should still get around to playing both eventually, just because the first game is iconic and has a really unique feel that later Metroid games lack. Keep in mind that Metroid 1 was meant to be played with a hand-drawn map by your side to help keep track of where you're going. You can replace the hand-drawn map with just pulling up a map from gamefaqs or something to make it a lot less tedious to play through.
>>
>>2911617
A good original metroid hack is MBDtroid with LUA script.

It redraws the graphics to be more in line with later games, allows item/weapon toggle, and makes the Ridley fight not a hilarious pushover. The LUA adds a map.

>>2911629
I had to play with a printed map my first few times in Metroid. However, once i started to get a sense for how the game world worked and where things generally were, I didn't need it and could jump right in.
>>
>>2911697
*MDBtroid, my bad, for MetroidDatabase.
>>
>>2911025
>Zero Mission poses no challenge even on Hard.
I guess you're just an incredible player then-
>when it's more satisfying to get a good ending in Metroid since it puts up a fight?
>Metroid
>puts up a fight
Oh.
You've never played either and are just talking out of your ass.
>>
>>2912669
Explain you fucking millenial scrub.
>>
>>2910739
>Sure the super duper special edition Blu-ray is prettier and the changes aren't bad if it's your first time watching it...

Maybe I'm crazy but when I watched the blu-rays I swear the scenes in space had this slight green tinted square around them from green screen or something. Anyone else notice this?
>>
>>2912698
I did, yeah you can see the green thing around some of the actors too. It was a common flaw in special effects at the time.
>>
Zero Mission isn't bad, but if the clunkyness of the original gets to you, I highly recommend Metroid + Saving. It adds in save slots like Super Metroid, a small movable map when paused, and lets you carry both ice and wave beams. It's like a modernized(in a good way) version of Metroid, while keeping the majority of the difficulty intact.
>>
>>2912692
Metroid (the first one) doesn't put up a fight anywhere other than having a (rather generous) time limit for the best ending.
Anyone who has played both and actually gone for any of the good endings in ZM knows it's harder than the original since the original's combat is a fucking joke and has no special shortcuts or workarounds you need to utilize in order to get a good ending.

But don't take my word for it, just gameshark your way to Meta Ridley on hard with a 15% kit.
>>
>>2910739
>Star Wars original un-touched up
>anywhere it falls short it was the intention of the original creators...
Like the transparent cockpits on Hoth and Darth Vader being blue?
>>
>>2906618
Metroid 1 is boring as hell in comparison to nearly every Metroid game that came after it.
I see its difficulty listed as a positive but it only stems from having 20 energy when you load up a save, forcing some pretty pointless grinding for health whenever you die or turn the game on. Outside of that the combat is generally the easiest in the 2D games and the map is super straight forward. It's one of the few major NES games I really can't return to at all.

Zero Missions tacked on stealth segment and comic book-y atmosphere are a shame but beyond that it's a huge step up from the original in basically every regard.
>>
>>2910739
You can download the "Despecialized Edition" on The Pirate Bay and other similar sites. It has the changes edited out.

Pretty good work, Return of the Jedi is a little spotty, but the other two versions are the original greatness in 1080p.
>>
>>2911629
ZM is your head canon maybe.
>>
>>2909306
This other M meme is bad needs to die.
>>
>>2909104
How do I up vote this?
>>
>>2909117
You do know those are early nes games right? They was working with what they could on the hardware at the time.
>>
>>2912785
The only thing that really stuck me in RotJ was when they edited back in vader's eyebrows after luke took off the helmet. It just looked comical, like a cartoon with floating eyebrows.

They should've just let that change be. Really bothers me every time I watch it, but other than that the despecialization is great.
Thread posts: 73
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.