[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Trying to get into the shining force series. Any tips for

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1

File: Shining_Force.jpg (39KB, 349x494px) Image search: [Google]
Shining_Force.jpg
39KB, 349x494px
Trying to get into the shining force series. Any tips for a new player?
>>
Just play it homie. Game's easy as fuck, but super comfy.

Gort is a beast
>>
Treat Domingo with care, and he will dominate the field.
Be prepared to rage at the circus level, though...those mannequins(?) are dangerous as hell.
>>
Should you promote people right away?
>>
>>2886212
Used to play this at night at work. I could hotbox myself in the 6x6 room.
>playing SF and enjoying the odor of your musky farts

Truely heaven on Earth.
>>
>>2886269
Wut?
>>
>>2886269
Okay what the fuck?
>>
>>2886269
The fuck?
>>
>>2886263
Wait till they turn to level 20. Then start promoting. this was the first game i beat myself back in 4th grade, tho SF2 i've nearly beaten but my luck turns around and i have to reset. It's been like that for nearly 8 years. In the beginning switch Ken's weapon with Mae's because it just suits her better. Also Gong can be OP if he's trained good and same with Zolf the wolf guy.
>>
I remember playing this game. I thought it was ok, but I started it right after playing Phantasy Star 4, and I couldn't help but think of how it fell short in comparison. I got pretty far too before loosing the motivation to finish it.
>>
>>2887109
Well it is a much earlier game than Phantasy Star IV, right?
>>
>>2887183
Not really, unless you think a year is a great length of time.
>>
>>2886212
I assume you are playing SF1, and you are playing the GEN ver. Otherwise the advice changes:

-The best way to grind extra level is the Balazaak battle at the docks. There are lots of enemies near the start of the battlefield, you kill them you can cast Egress to reset the fight.

-Promoting at level 20 is EXTREME overkill, you will **regret it** unless you are doing it intentionally. I like promoting at 12-13. I also sometimes have a few characters promote at 15 if they really benefit from it, that's getting into stat spreadsheet territory.

-You can use some items as magic spells. The lightsaber swords have infinite uses, other items like staves, magic weapons and rings will crack after a random number of uses. You can repair a cracked item. I think if you continue to use it after repairing once there is a chance it will break permanently.

-Some characters are far more useful than others because of their level gains.

-Healers that learn Aura spells are going to be 10x more useful in the end of the game than ones that don't

-Tao is going to be less useful in the endgame than other magicians, because her strongest spell school is fire. The most annoying enemy that you want to use magic on in the end game takes less damage from fire and more damage from freeze.

Don't bother with the archers, they never become good again once they fall behind. Lyle is decent though, but not essential if you don't like him. Arthur does eventually get better, but you have to be a grind maniac. **Don't bother** your first time if you ever bother at all. Adam is a joke, don't bother. Bleu does get good quickly if you have the patience to train him up from his starting level (use the first map you get him in, have him fight the gargoyles).

All the other characters are usable out of the box and won't suck. While there is still much to be said about which ones are better, it is more fun to experiment a bit in your first game.
>>
>>2886212
chill to the music
>>
That's some nice boxart, especially for the high quality megadrive covers.
>>
>>2886212
there are a lot of missable characters so be sure to check around and talk to everyone you meet
>>
>>2886730
>>2886703
>>2886469
I worked in a water pumpstation house. It was roughly 6'x6' and had pressure dials and an old CRT tv inside. I'd bring my MD and copy of SF to pass the time. Sometimes, I would stuff the cracks in the door and window to keep the reclaimed water stench out and my fart odor in.

Simple pleasures anons, Simple pleasures.
>>
>>2887860
that sounds like some kinky fetish
>>
>>2887969
The crazy part was that I'd have to air the place out before the next shift arrived. Sometimes I would not properly vent the room and my sulphorous fumes would linger.
>>
>>2886212
In shining force 1 half of the cast becomes useless unless you've grinded like crazy. Here are the good characters in my opinion decending order.

1. Bleu, he can solo the entire game.
2. Domingo. Flying ice mage.
3. Anri, Ice mage
4. Max, beefy with huge attack from Chaos Breaker
5. Zylo
6. Gort/Luke
7. Hanzou
8. The samurai guy
9. Whatever healer you've leveled up with Aura.
10. Alef if you grind
11. Arthur is the only knight if you grind.

Basically Bleu becomes a god if you level him up ASAP.
>>
>>2886240
Oh, man, so much this. He's not the best mage, but his freedom of movement due to his flight ability which removes all terrain constraints make him the most versatile by far.

>>2888086
Haha, yeah, I thought Arthur was just a troll character like Jogurt until I got him past level 10 post-promotion. His sudden gains per level leave everyone else, including Earnest and Pelle in the dust.

The only character I would replace in your ranking is Alef. I'd rather have Lyle because two ice-mages and both Domingo and Hanzou have Desoul as well.

Bolt never sat well with me. Just too damned OP in a game that wasn't very hard to begin with. Also, Aura is ridiculous past level 1, though I usually used Gong because he caps it at 2 and can still pack a decent punch. Healing is rarely an issue past the first couple of chapters, at any rate, except in allowing you to grind a bit more.
>>
Not OP, but related,

Any way to access the last part of CD without a ram cart? Like a GG code or something? I'm That's literally the only reason I didn't start with the series yet.
>inb4 get an Everdrive
I got the Everdrive MD back when it was brand new and I'm not replacing it for savestate support and a single game.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.