[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Could the Saturn with a 4MB or more RAM cart handle this game?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 4

File: 16065_64728.jpg (663KB, 1407x1407px) Image search: [Google]
16065_64728.jpg
663KB, 1407x1407px
Could the Saturn with a 4MB or more RAM cart handle this game?

I'm not talking 3rd Strike, just vanilla NG.
>>
>>2871352
It doesn't look like anything the saturn couldn't do, but the whole III series flopped so I'm guessing that's why it wasn't ported asap.
3S didn't blow up until after the daigo video, and thats when the ps2\xbox port came to the west
>>
Is New Generation supposed to be less demanding on the console? I always thought the three SF3 games were mostly the same.
>>
File: sfIII-2ndimpact.jpg (69KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
sfIII-2ndimpact.jpg
69KB, 500x500px
>>2871365
I just figured that since it had less characters, it might be less hardware intensive. Then again, if there is a difference between all three games it's negligible.
>>
>>2871376
Not at all the backgrounds in New Generation and 2nd Impact are much more complex than the ones in 3rd Strike.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaQOlBlEb0o

Saturn could have done this. It'd have to come with a huge RAM cart for all the animation, but it could have done it.
>>
File: kenzo__t607.png (840KB, 607x1287px) Image search: [Google]
kenzo__t607.png
840KB, 607x1287px
>>2871352
Consider the following:
CPS2:
Main CPU : 68000 @ 16 MHz
CPS3:
Main CPU : Hitachi SH2 @ 25 MHz
Saturn:
2x Hitachi SH2 @ 28.6 MHz

So I think you bring an interesting point. Considering CPS3 hardware was basically the same as the Saturn CPU-wise, I feel inclined to believe porting should have been more than possible. I'm guessing the likely answer to "why wasn't this done" is marketing choices (perceived value of the SFIII brand vs. cost of a saturn port) and time frames.
>>
>>2871405
Yeah, an SFIII port on the Saturn would have required the Saturn to have been a popular console worldwide back in 97-98 and SFIII to have been popular in the arcades. Neither of which happened.
>>
>>2871387
It could've probably done it respectfully using the 4MB RAM cart, albeit missing some animation and load time.

8MB? Absolutely doable.
>>
>>2871376
>less characters, it might be less hardware intensive

Because all characters and backgrounds are displayed at the same time?

The game could have had 2000 characters and you'd still only play 1 on 1.
>>
>>2871716
I don't think people would be bothered too much even if it'd have to load before every fight, since the animation and graphic detail is above every 2D fighter on Saturn, but NG might've been too barebones for a console release, even back then. With other 2D beasts like KOF 97 and Capcom's own Street Fighter Alpha 3 averaging 20+ characters, plus optional/customizable systems and game modes (World Tour comes to mind), "just an arcade-perfect port" wouldn't be enough.

Sure, it'd be quite a technical feat to pull this on Saturn, but not even Marvel vs Capcom (a CPS2 title) was released on Saturn (and to think there's a stripped-down "EX Edition" on PSX)
>>
Maybe. It just wasn't successful enough of a game to be worth porting to the consoles of the time right away. It wasn't until well after 2I came out that they bundled the two together for the Dreamcast.
>>
Speaking of MVC
do you think it could of been possibly if the Saturn was popular enough?
Same with Last Blade, Garou, and the later KOF games?
>>
>>2872463
MVC has better and more animations and backgrounds then the previous versus games, but I think it was possible, probably cutting some frames. I loved Wily screaming.
Kof '97 iirc was the last of the series on saturn and it wasn't a graphical upgrade of '96 like in the arcades, and it used just the 1MB ram cart.
'98 with the 4 MB expansion was possible, not so sure about garou.
>>
>>2872492
>wasn't a graphical upgrade of '96 like in the arcades,
Wut?
>>
>>2872492
For MVC 1 i know the PS1 verison cuts alot of animation but im sure it could of been possible.
Maybe even 98 like you said but 99 and 00 maybe with the 4 ram as well or cut animation??
Last Blade probably but yeah I'm doubting Garou could be a saturn port considering how bad the DC version is compared to the PS2 and 360 port. I highly doubt Metal Slug X could be ported.
>>
>>2872510
You guys are nuts, Saturn could easily do MVC1, the only things that would keep it from being Arcade-perfect would be minimal loading, missing frames and a slightly different resolution

Basically, the same things that kept all of the other CPS2 ports from being perfect.

Really, the biggest issues with the Saturn ports, besides the missing frames, was that some of the games had bizarre rebalancing/changes done to them, notably Vampire Savior
>>
>>2872662
vampire savior had some balancing changes?
explain i'm assuming since they added donovan, pyron, and huntzil.
>>
>>2872662
Super Turbo also has changed gameplay mechanics sadly, both the PS1 and Saturn ports.
>>
>>2872665
yes, there's all sorts of weird shit in the saturn version. some chains are broken/don't work, hitboxes are different, some moves do more/less damage, etc.

bunch of stuff I don't really remember, it was hard to play Saturn version seriously especially once the PS2 port came out. PS2 was the de-facto version aside from Arcade until the 360/PS3 release
>>
>>2872673
yes, the only good port is the Dreamcast version, and I guess the PS2 version on the Classics disc if you can deal with the annoying bugs
>>
>>2871405
>Considering CPS3 hardware was basically the same as the Saturn CPU-wise

It's not nearly that simple. The Saturn also had the shittiest and most confusing CPU to program for that generation.
>>
>>2872691
>The Saturn also had the shittiest and most confusing CPU to program for that generation.

Wikipedia parrots pls go
>>
>>2872756
this. it actually IS that simple. the saturn's architecture only becomes problematic when you're attempting to optimize for 3D engines with lots of effects (or maximum performance in general).

for a 2D title like SF3, you could probably get away with a single CPU & one VDP. In the worst case (I can't imagine why they couldn't simply reuse a large portion of the original source) they'd have to use both SH2's and both VDP's to maximize performance, but it's more than doable even with the existing 4MB cart.
>>
>>2872829
forgot to mention: keep in mind both the Saturn and the CPS3 use SH2 CPUs, with the Saturn having two clocked at ~28MHz and the CPS3 having a single CPU clocked at 25MHz.

The CPS3 has significantly more memory, but that's purely to load the entire game into memory so there wouldn't be any load time (the CPS3 loads games off of a SCSI CD-ROM into memory).
>>
>>2872829
If Capcom ported SFIII (let's presume 2nd Impact because that also came out in 97 and no one gives a fuck about NG) to the Saturn with only the 4MB RAM cart, they could probably do it by cutting out a lot of the background animations and maybe a handful of character in-between animations (walking, jumping, etc).
>>
>>2872902
Forgot to add.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOZuaz2Lnbc

So that's 2I. The most RAM intensive character would probably be Gill, since he has different frames for left and right sides. At worst, the game would need to fit one fight versus him into 6MB of RAM.
>>
Could the Saturn have handled this game?
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.