[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT: Games with horrible level design >randomly place keys

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1

File: Dinohunter.jpg (2MB, 1500x1098px) Image search: [Google]
Dinohunter.jpg
2MB, 1500x1098px
ITT: Games with horrible level design

>randomly place keys everywhere
>infinite backtracking ensues
>infinitely spawning enemies to harass the player and waste ammo

What were they thinking/
>>
>>2867383
>randomly place keys everywhere
>infinite backtracking ensues
Thankfully new version tidies up level design to fix this.
>infinitely spawning enemies to harass the player and waste ammo
Pretty sure the respawning isn't infinite.
>>
>>2867383
all of these things are actually bonuses

sage for not retro
>>
>>2867632
W0t? Did you even play the game? If you miss a single key you get stuck.
>>
>>2867470
>Pretty sure the respawning isn't infinite.

Not OP but are you sure? I actually chose a spot and camped for a while to see how many times I'd have to kill the dude until he stopped respawning.

Maybe it's just my memory but I could use some 110% sure confirmation. This is important.
>>
>>2867638
it's infinite but usually just a single enemy every 20 minutes so it's hardly a big deal
>>
It's true though, as much as "new" gamers complain about corridor shooter level design the maps in turok 1 and 2 are absolutely atrocious, they even made Turok 3 completely linear to make up for this.
>>
>>2867643
Ok then, thx man.
>>
>>2867383
I thought /vr/ was supposed to be /v/ without the shitposting?
>>
>>2867650
I believe the catacombs level was the biggest offender, in Turok 1.
>>
>>2867764
Used to be. That all changed about a year ago though.
>>
>>2867383
play Seeds of Evil
>>
Seeds of Evil has way, way more backtracking than Dinosaur Hunter. So much so that I wouldn''t even think Dinosaur Hunter has backtracking. If you're thorough enough you get everything on the first run-through of each level in Turok 1, but in Turok 2 you have to get shit and go back to an earlier point in the game to unlock ways into new areas and stuff like that, which was super annoying.
>>
nothing in this game compares to the bullshit of turok 2
>>
Backtracking is only bad if the game never gives you any hints on whats the next thing you're supposed to do (either through level design, or through story text), making it a wild goose chase that could take hours. Or has you retread through large amounts of empty sections, making for an uneventful but lengthy trek to the next objective.

Otherwise, I feel backtracking is an overhated feature in games.
>>
>>2867961
>but in Turok 2 you have to get shit and go back to an earlier point in the game to unlock ways into new areas and stuff like that, which was super annoying.

D R O P P E D
R
O
P
P
E
D

I order the internet to mod a cerebral bore into Turok 1 because im not playing 2, thx for the advice pham
>>
>>2867383
The Catacombs and The Ruins were top level design for the time.

Hell I wish the guy who designed those two levels had made the whole 8 stages.
>>
>>2867383
>having ammo problems in turok ever
I'm always amazed by just how shitty vr is at video games
>>
>>2867961
Not a fan of Metroids huh?
>>
>>2869912
Difference is that it's super fast to get around in Metroid, and it's a 2d plane. In Turok 2, compared to the size of the each massive level the player moves pretty slowly and there's a lot of bullshit you have to go through.
>>
>>2869845
Only time I ever had ammo issues was in the second last level of Turok 1 (The Lost Land), because the triceratops riders which fucking eat all of your ammo and take forever to kill. And also the heavy cyborg dudes in the last level.

At that point in the game it starts throwing explosive shotgun shells at you all over the place, though, so it's not that bad.
>>
>>2869985
my only complaint is the low ammo count for each weapon, and no backpack power up.
>>
>>2869828
Ancient City is the best level in the entire Turok franchise.
>>
>>2870251
YOU ARE DERANGED.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.