[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So, I just started playing Wizardry 1, is there a better version

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 2

File: wiz1-2-3.jpg (62KB, 480x362px) Image search: [Google]
wiz1-2-3.jpg
62KB, 480x362px
So, I just started playing Wizardry 1, is there a better version than the SNES version?
>>
Depends on what you are looking for but the SFC is alright.
>>
>>2864680
I'll be honest with you, I don't like playing this kind of game on a console emulator.

I wanted to be able to play with mouse as well, but I guess there's not a single version that let's you do that, right?
>>
>>2864683
I think Mac Wizardry had that.
There's also the Japanese Windows game but it seems impossible to come by nowadays.

If you're fine with keyboard controls there are the Japanese computer releases from the 80s, particularly the PC-98 one, which are more or less identical to the C64 and IBM port with higher resolution text and graphics and the extra options for Japanese text.
Apple II is obviously the original but it's a bit clunky compared to the ports.
>>
I've heard good things about the PC Engine version, but I've also heard it actually has different coding and balance than any other version of the game.
>>
>>2865746
The most obvious difference is that it doesn't have an English option.
The balance is different in at least that the races have different maximum stats. Where normally everything can go up to 18 the maximum on the PCE is racial minimum plus 10. This resulted in lowered requirements particularly for Ninjas.
The GBC also uses that system and is also different since it uses smaller dungeons.
>>
How the fuck do I import my characters in the SFC version? I don't understand nothing about this Turbo File stuff.
>>
File: 24691_02_m.jpg (96KB, 1232x816px) Image search: [Google]
24691_02_m.jpg
96KB, 1232x816px
>>2866186
The Turbo File was a peripheral for the FC and SFC that allowed you to save and transfer save data. Very few games actually supported it though.
>>
>>2864683
Question: What would you do with a mouse in this game? There is no function it could serve beyond clicking on on-screen representations of things you could press on your keyboard, like arrow buttons.
>>
>>2867658
You may be able to do stuff like drag items around.
It could also be faster to cast spells by clicking from a list than typing in the name.
>>
>>2867691
Dragging for what purpose? Manual inventory sorting? I guess that could be mildly useful.

I guess clickable menus are a good idea, but I'd certainly want to be able to use the keyboard too. Perhaps a menu system with hotkeys. (So you could either use the arrow keys or just press H for Halito)
>>
>>2867710
Normally you get to use both keyboard and mouse. Games like Wizardry 6 are an exception.
Consoles obviously only let you use the mouse in place of a gamepad and not many games support a mouse to begin with.
>>
>>2864676
Are the NES versions worth playing? How about as a jumping in point.

I've wanted to get into Wizardry for awhile but never had a chance. A dude's selling most of them in my city now.
>>
>>2868394
Generally no. The Famicom ports are a bit more interesting but the American release got censored and they removed the save features due to the hardware never getting released stateside.
>>
>>2864676
thats the best version you will get.

ps1 looks like ass and others are not well translated.

>>2867658
more rapid menu movement
>>
>>2868592
>>ps1 looks like ass and others are not well translated.
It's an English game. You don't need a translation.
>>
>>2868592
>ps1 looks like ass
What?
This is the first time I hear complaints about how the PS Wizardry ports look, especially coming from the godawful NES and SNES ports.
>>
Hijacking real fast.

What is the best version of this game to play then?
>>
>>2869530
You've got to decide that for yourself.
Things like controls, graphics and sound are a subjective matter. Take different versions for a spin and make a more carefully constructed party afterwards.
>>
I just want to say that after a year of repeated approaches I finally completed Wiz4 without any guides. Now give me my complimentary cookie!
>>
>>2869551
Congratulations.
How long did it take? I always expected it to be doable but I projected it could take several months and that just didn't seem worth it.
>>
>>2869551
>Now give me my complimentary cookie!
Only if you got the Grandmaster ending.
>>
>>2869558
Mapping out the floors takes the most time and honestly I didn't map everything out. What more now that I read some guides I noticed some things I never did before about the floors. As for the time I can't tell you how long I took me to do it as a whole as I replayed floors many times and used my maps to hasten the process it helps when you also learn what hero parties you can take less seriously and which ones are the death teams. Also Trebor is a annoying bitch. I feel that I should return to it and get the "secret" ending but fuck that it's just isn't worth the stress.
>>
>>2869564

>Also Trebor is a annoying bitch.

W...E...R...D...N...A

WHERE...ARE...YOU...
>>
>>2868574
don't the famicom versions contain the option to switch to english anyway?
>>
>>2870326
Yes. There's basically no point in playing any of the American releases unless you want the Apple ][ originals.
>>
>>2864676 (OP)
They condensed the first 3 games into one in that version, what? And it's a 1999 release on the SNES, what?
>>
>>2870689
you pick which game you want to play from a menu
>>
>>2868592
PS1 version has automap and animated dungeon movement.
>>
>>2870469
I'd probably go with the Commodore 64 ports because the interface was a lot easier to use than the Apple originals. The IBM ports should be ignored because they fucked up some of the game mechanics (most likely an unintended side effect of recompiling the source with the x86 version of USCD p-System).

Play it on VICE in x128 mode with 1571 and REU support enabled because otherwise the load times are torture. Also they never put Wizardry IV on the Commodore so you'll have to play that on some other platform.
>>
>>2870706
>automap

Dropped, how do I transfer my party from 3 to 5 someday?
>>
I ended up finishing the SNES versions. Werdna is so fucking hard what the fuck.

I still have to finish the third one (which is actually the second one, fuck japs for messing that up) but I'm thinking about playing the 4 on the PS1. I assume it's easier right? I'm up for a challenge but not really up for frustation.

Even so I wanted the original graphics, the SNES version of the first trilogy only have the original map graphics but not the monster graphics (which I think are really fucking cool). Is it there on the PS1 version?
>>
>>2870728
The Japanese computers (PC-98, PC-88, X1, FM7, MSX) have the same interface and base and aside from the MSX have a higher resolution.
>>
>>2870909
>I assume it's easier right? I'm up for a challenge but not really up for frustation.
There's two modes for 4 on the PS1. The original mode should be identical to the original difficulty aside from options like automap.
The Arrange Mode is notably different and gives you more control, you're also stuck with Japanese text in that mode.

PS1 has the old graphics as an option, they're based on the mid-80s remake and not the Apple 2 original.

>>2870689
>And it's a 1999 release on the SNES, what?
They had a digital distribution service in Japan called Nintendo Power. You had a cartridge with flash memory and could download games from terminals.
The SFC had a significant install base and this allowed them to cheaply distribute games for it up to 2000. A few games even got a ROM cartridge release after a successful digital distribution.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_Power
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.