[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why was Leon's uniform different from every other officer

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 8

File: leon_rpd.jpg (457KB, 2000x3000px) Image search: [Google]
leon_rpd.jpg
457KB, 2000x3000px
Why was Leon's uniform different from every other officer in the RPD? Other than Kevin from the Outbreak games, no one else dresses like that. Neither of them are SWAT, nor STARS. Was this shit ever explained beyond "they're protagonists so they have to look different"?
>>
They're protagonists so they had to look different.
>>
>>2863418
Wasn't he a trainee or rookie or some such?
>>
>>2863418
Looks like a tactical uniform, really. The extra padding in the elbows, and the vest pouches somewhat support that. If memory serves, most of the officers you encounter in the games I have played were just in their dress blues.
>>
>>2863470
This.

One of the Outbreak characters uses it too.
>>
>>2863470
Also, in RE:ORC I believe you can play as an unnamed cop in a similar outfit, however the zombie police are in their normal blues. It's probably the fact that while there was time to mobilize some SWAT, the tactical teams were under-prepared for the situation, due to lack of real idea of what they were going into. Provided they were even about to be sent out at all.
>>
Dem boots look weird. Like they were dipped in rubber
>>
>>2863470
My thought was it was some kind of new riot uniform that the RPD was issuing because of the attacks that had been going on in the Arklay Mountains for the past five months, then after STARS blew the mansion up and the attacks died down most cops stopped wearing them. Maybe Leon just wanted to make a good impression or that was the only uniform he got, or something.
>>
>>2863418

Because he's a special little snowflake who's better then the rest.
>>
>that feel when wanna play re2 again
>tfw played it two months ago already and I cant remember which scenario order I did
>>
>>2863498
That could be feasible as well. It's hardly an extravagant design, and looks perfectly field usable to me.

>>2863519
Hardly friend Anon, if memory serves it is mostly dumb luck, determination and police skills that gets him through the game.
>>
>>2863547
Its 90s as fuck.
>>
>>2863549
Maybe? Looks more like warm weather gear to me.
>>
>>2863556
High collar stuff just screams 80s/early 90s swat uniform.
>>
The real reason is that his uniform is a reference to the uniforms that Roger and Peter use in Night of the Living Dead.

It can't be a tactical vest, because Leon just got out of the academy. The opening of RE2 is him entering the city to start his job.
>>
File: HK_VP70Z_1890.jpg (51KB, 642x451px) Image search: [Google]
HK_VP70Z_1890.jpg
51KB, 642x451px
>carries a VP70 as his service pistol
Why did he pick such a bad choice for carry?
>>
>>2863418
>Zero leg protection
>>
>>2864943
It was his first day!
>>
>>2863418
Regulation Tactical Bowlcut
>>
>>2864925
It's so ugly
>>
>>2864943
no dick in the pants ass nigga i'll be damned if i fuck a no man ass nigga. i would i would never fuck a no man ass nigga, even if that nigga flew me and all my bitches all the way out to racoon city.
>>
>>2863453
Yeah he was, I think it was his first day on the job. Leon probably overdressed himself to make a good impression. If the zombie outbreak didn't happen the whole department would have laughed at Leon for going full tacticool on orientation day.
>>
File: Leon_S._Kennedy.png (93KB, 175x486px) Image search: [Google]
Leon_S._Kennedy.png
93KB, 175x486px
>>2864957
>zero leg protection
>>
>>2865189
still no dick in the pants. is he a senpai?
>>
File: tumblr_ni36puo0cg1s57vgxo3_1280.png (216KB, 688x474px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_ni36puo0cg1s57vgxo3_1280.png
216KB, 688x474px
>>2865045
Looks isn't even the biggest problem.

Pros:
>lots of bullets, magazines hold 18rds
>if it's the Military model, it can accept the shoulder stock with the burst-fire mechanism, allowing for more comfortable and precise shooting as well as rapid fire when necessary
>actually kind of accurate

Cons:
>the magazines are expensive, and were hard to find even when the gun was new in the 70s, not really catching on and being long since out of production, one spare magazine could very well go for over $100 even in the 90s
>probably none of the VP70 pistols imported to North America were the Military model, so even if you had the stock, there would be no slots to attach it, and the burst mechanism wouldn't even work with it anyway
>possibly one of the worst triggers on a semi-automatic pistol ever, odd shape, long straight (gritty) travel, and requiring something like 17lbs of pressure to pull, even shooting at a range at your leisure will make your trigger finger very tired, it's like a staplegun
>because of the super heavy trigger, whatever inherent accuracy the gun has is wasted as you strain to pull the trigger, causing you to tense up and throw off your aim
>very strange sights where the front sight is a wide post with a deep indent where the intention is that the shadow in it is your "bead", if there's a bright light behind you it seems your sight picture might disappear
>theoretically does "less damage" than other 9mm pistols due to the deep rifling in it's barrels

I get that it was put in because it was cool (and it is), because Resident Evil is that kind of series, but I'm just imagining what it'd be like to carry it as your service pistol, and then get thrown into a horrible emergency like in Raccoon city, having to rely on THAT.
A Glock 17 would be a million times better, just put extended +2 base-plates on your magazines and you've already bested the VP70's best quality with 19+1 capacity, and I don't love Glocks
>>
>>2863418
Leon was a rookie so thats why its different. Kevin was on the force for a while and failed the STARS entrance exam twice I remember reading from the booklet back then.

Ive also heard that Leons uniform may have been inspired by Peter and Rodger's uniform from Dawn of the Dead 1978.
>>
File: vest_reference_1.jpg (67KB, 640x483px) Image search: [Google]
vest_reference_1.jpg
67KB, 640x483px
>>2863418
I was always under the assumption it was a design reference/homage to Robocop? Seeing as the original RPD was modeled after the station in the film, it'd make sense having the hero look the same.

Plus the original story had Leon trapped in the station during the outbreak, so it'd make sense for him to be in some riot gear. Design must have stuck from that time.
>>
File: City_of_the_Dead.jpg (67KB, 500x819px) Image search: [Google]
City_of_the_Dead.jpg
67KB, 500x819px
After seeing this thread, I felt urged to re-read this

didn't make it past the first few chapters, not sure why I still have it.
>>
>>2865463
I'm pretty sure that the VP70 was chosen only for the cool factor, since a Beretta or Glock 17 would indeed make more sense.
You do have to remember that the RE series really likes to introduce cool-looking guns, even if their performance doesn't live up to its name (VP70, Calico 22-M, Beretta 93R, Fiveseven, MAC10).
I do find them really sexy though, and that was even before RE2 came up.
>>
I've heard many things talking about it being a reference to the cops in Dawn of the Dead, but if we exclude that I'd say that it was the only uniform he had or he wanted to look cool because first day.
Since Kevin is a STARS wannabe, maybe he dresses like that because he wants to look tactical or something.
>>
>>2865528
Well, yeah, it's a very cool gun visually, so that's a good enough reason, hell, most variants of the Tec-9 were garbage, but they're COOL, so putting one in a game would be worth it for that alone.

The SPAS-12 is really not a very good shotgun, but whenever I see it in a game, I'm cool with it, because it's just so goddamn awesome!

Also, the Calico, well, the .22 pistols in Code Veronica wouldn't be practical fighting weapons, but the 9mm variants of the pistol, carbine and subguns are not so bad, if you know how to treat the magazines.
People think that because the rear sight is on the magazines, there'd be a potential point of impact change, and it'd be a valid concern, but it actually retains it's POI and zero very consistently between magazines, and also, at the ranges you'd use a 9mm pistol or subgun, any potential change would be so minute it wouldn't matter anyway.

As for the M-10 and M-11, they're actually pretty solid guns, IF they're made by a good manufacturer. Also, some were semi-auto closed-bolt pistols converted to full-auto, this wasn't always done well, for the older ones, the open-bolt ones work the best. A lot of the magazines were also made out of "Zytel", which didn't always stand up to a lot of use.

The Beretta 93r is actually probably one of the better machinepistols. As machinepistols tend to cycle insanely fast, they wisely decided to make it fire in 3round bursts, which is safer, easier to control, and you won't be as likely to waste bullets (machinepistols usually shoot so fast that if you're not seriously trained with it, it's easy to not let go of the trigger fast enough, so you could mean to shoot 2 or 3 rounds, but you end up shooting off 5 or 6, maybe even 7 or 8, which isn't always useful, necessary, or safe), it also has a grip in it's trigger guard, for stability.
As niche as machinepistols are, the 93r is probably the most practical.
>>
>>2865515
Same thing happened with me. I liked it when I first bought the book though. I hadn't even played the video game.
>>
>>2863418
I can't get over the mirrored shoulder emblem.
>>
>>2864925
He got it as a gift from his father or something ,according to lore.
>>
>>2865473
Kevin was actually competent, though. He wouldn't have fit in with all the liars who cooked up their resume and overinflated their credentials.
>>
>>2864925
Worst and ugliest gun ever in RE game. And he insists on using it.
>>
>>2864925
I remember being happy he got rid of that god awful thing when I started playing 4.

Than he got it back in 6, just to pile on top of all the crap decisions in that game.
>>
>>2865476
>Seeing as the original RPD was modeled after the station in the film
Is it official? I think Robocop barely showed the police station, besides entry area and the cells.
Personally, RE2 reminds me Assault on Precinct 13 more.
>>
File: 002.jpg (28KB, 350x225px) Image search: [Google]
002.jpg
28KB, 350x225px
>>2866554
It's not a great gun, but I do think it's kind of cool looking.

If it had trigger that wasn't bullshit and operated on short recoil with a locked breech, rather than effectively being a refined Hi-Point, it'd be fantastic, frankly.
There do exist kits to drastically improve the trigger though.

>>2866060
"Wow, thanks dad!"
>takes it to the range
>discovers the trigger is ass
>just decides to learn to live with it because he doesn't want to disappoint his dad
What a trooper.

>>2866561
I'd largely go for the Mauser pistol, which is hugely impractical as a combat weapon for different reasons, but being able to aim from the shoulder and upgrade it's damage is hugely important, in terms of gameplay it's very good.
Realistically, the XD would be a more practical pistol.

>>2866578
>Assault on Precinct 13
That movie was tits.
Napoleon Wilson outfit for Leon when?
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.