[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Fuck fighting games, why is the community hell bent into bodying

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 83
Thread images: 11

Fuck fighting games, why is the community hell bent into bodying newbs into submission?
I just wanna play a mindless button masher with pretty graphics alone
>>
git gud, faggot.
>>
What communities? This is /vr/ bro. Back in /vr/ times, the "communities" were whatever guys you'd meet at the arcades, or your own group of friends. There was no Facebook, no Twitter, no EVO, no internet drama.

Best way to enjoy retro fighting vidya is get a friend (or more), grab a few beers, sit on the couch, and have fun.

Playing through Fightcade online is not really /vr/-related.
For the most part, the online experience is not /vr/-related period, and big tourneys like EVO aren't either.
>>
>>2858834
You probably don't want to hear this, but if you want something more friendly to new players, play a new fighter. The player base will be a lot larger and have more players of your skill level to play against.

Pretty much anyone still playing retro fighters has been playing them for years so unless you're really skilled there's not much point. It's just as boring to fight someone much lower than your skill as it is someone much higher.

Also if you want a mindless button masher, Beat em Ups might be the better genre. Button mashing doesn't actually work in any fighter unless your opponent is equally bad.
>>
>>2858834
So play single player numbnuts.
>>
>>2858856
>Best way to enjoy retro fighting vidya is get a friend (or more), grab a few beers, sit on the couch, and have fun.

Very, very much this. Your skill level at a fighter doesn't matter nearly as much as how close you are to your opponent. You can have never played them before at all, but with a few like minded buddies can have a fantastic day.
>>
>>2858858
There's really no point playing fighters single player. The AI is so bad it's basically a different genre, and a much shittier one. 1P mode is really only there for practicing execution.
>>
>>2858867
It's there if you wanna mindlessly mash buttons while looking at pretty graphics just like OP stated.
>>
>>2858834
>I just wanna play a mindless button masher with pretty graphics alone
>>2858867
>but I don't want to play alone
Make up your mind.
>>
>>2858871
If that's what he wants, beat em ups will do a way better job.
>>
nah, you don't want to play fighters alone and get destroyed by input reading AI that can pull out stupid inputs in less than a second, because they don't actually have to input anything, they AI is flawless and will exploit moves ad nasuem and the only way to beat high level AI is to cheese, so you don't actually get better playing against it.

Much better to go from trash to gud status against other people, much more enjoyable.

Pretty much everyone is trash at fighters when first picking them up, fighters require true time investment to get good at, as opposed to FPS which is mostly based on twitch reaction and learning stage layouts, there are just so many mechanics in fighting games, you gonna get shit on before you do the shitting
>>
>>2858909
>nah, you don't want to play fighters alone and get destroyed by input reading AI that can pull out stupid inputs in less than a second, because they don't actually have to input anything, they AI is flawless and will exploit moves ad nasuem and the only way to beat high level AI is to cheese, so you don't actually get better playing against it.
Do people really believe this? I almost never have trouble beating SNK bosses, I might lose the first continue but the second one the boss will be only at 1/3 health which is totally manageable.
>>
>>2858909
If OP just wants to mindlessly button mash then she clearly doesn't care about winning.
>>
>>2858916
>I almost never have trouble beating SNK bosses
>I might lose the first continue
If you continued you didn't beat it
>>
Can we just admit fighters are a failed genre? Good players have been exploiting combos and glitches for over 2 decades now, even the new games coming out are a sequel of a sequel. It's almost impossible to get into them unless you literally grew up in the arcade scene. Even Capcom, Namco are struggling.

I really don't see much of a future for these games besides irrelevancy.
>>
>>2858929
Says who? The endings are exactly the same whether you continue or not.
>>
>>2858916

This faggotry of being able to choose 1/3 boss health in the second continue didn't started in KoF 99?
>>
File: fight_money_tho__large.jpg (103KB, 751x496px) Image search: [Google]
fight_money_tho__large.jpg
103KB, 751x496px
>>2858934
Pretty much, the next kof looks like hot garbage. Street Fighter is the only series left that manages to put up a profit and the new one has been confirmed to be on-disc DLC central.

>paying to unlock characters
>>
>>2858946
98 actually
>>
>>2858934
>Can we just admit fighters are a failed genre?
They're one of the most long running and successful genres. The rest of your post proves you don't have a clue what you're talking about.
>>
>>2858916
Difficulty settings can be changed. The problem is though that fighters are all about mind games and computers can't play mind games. At low difficulty settings they're embarrassingly easy to beat, so to give some sort of challenge at high level the AI will read your inputs and react before moves come out.
>>
File: caucasian.png (46KB, 204x255px) Image search: [Google]
caucasian.png
46KB, 204x255px
>>2858949
This is the most misinformed post I've read all year, congratulations.
>>
File: Deep_Blue.jpg (95KB, 400x601px) Image search: [Google]
Deep_Blue.jpg
95KB, 400x601px
>>2858968
>and computers can't play mind games.
>>
>>2858934
> failed genre?

Can you name another retro genre with as many new games coming out and as many new players? Fighters are up there.
>>
>>2858963
No, anon, elitists like you are the reason why it's dying. No scrub wants to learn from someone who constantly goes U MAD BRO U MAD BRO WHY SO SALTY???
>>
>>2858974
you unlock characters in SFV by grinding away in vs mode for hours or paying up with real cash, nothing uninformed about that
>>
>>2858975
That thing is slower than my cellphone nowadays isn't it?
>>
>>2858976
Why would young players waste time learning this useless skill when they could have been practicing an instrument, getting educated, learning a second language, traveling the world, meeting girls?

What's the point? When you win a match you only feel good for a couple seconds, there's always another autist out there who dedicated more waking hours than you.
>>
File: CATWOMANREGIME.jpg (118KB, 578x325px) Image search: [Google]
CATWOMANREGIME.jpg
118KB, 578x325px
>>2858949
>paying to unlock characters

This is one of my favorite things about modern fighters. If you don't want to get new characters, you never have to but I love that if a game is successful there's a good chance more will get added to the roster. Even if you don't buy them, you still get to fight against them. I love fighters with huge rosters though.

Also they're still quite popular. My modern fighter of choice is Injustice which isn't even the most popular NRS fighter out right now, but still has a large enough player base that I get good matches whenever I log on. Fighters are very, very alive.
>>
>>2858980

Next KoF looks mediocre graphics-wise, but it's really early in development, what matters is it looks great gameplay-wise. There's tons of fighting games that manage to "put up a profit", the genre is more alive than ever. There's no signs of on-disc DLC for Street Fighter, they're gonna release the characters as they're developed and you can either buy them with money or in-game currency won by playing the game, so that's already miles better than every other Street Fighter game where you had to buy a new release if you wanted to keep playing.

Why am I even replying?
>>
>>2858986
>but it's really early in development,
It's scheduled to release first quarter 2016.
>>
>>2858984
>Why would young players waste time learning this useless skill when they could have been practicing an instrument, getting educated, learning a second language, traveling the world, meeting girls?

If you honestly think this is the mindset of kids these days then you're in for a shock.
>>
>>2858978
lol it's not dying at all. Even over at /vg/ the fighting games general that pretty well only talks about SF, Melty and GG gets more posts on average than all of /vr a lot of the time.

If you're new to the genre it's very easy to find other people of similar skill level and start learning.

>>2858984
Why does anyone play any video games at all? It's entertainment. It's not about winning the match, it's about the fun of playing the match. Yeah you win or loose, but then you play again. It's a game. Get it?
>>
>>2858987
Look at the first and the latest trailer, the gameplay is all set up, but they're just now aplying the polish, there's still a long way to go.
>>
>>2858989
Why should they learn this old failed shit when they could have been playing more complex games like Dota? Admit it, soon enough there will be no one but an army of 30 year old manchildren playing this trash.
>>
>>2858986
>>2858987
KoF hasn't really been KoF in a long time. It's the same name, but Playmore makes a very different kind of game then SNK did.
>>
>>2858995
The genre just gets bigger with more and more players not only joining the scene, but also rising to the spotlight. I don't usually visit /vr/ these days, but you guys seem to live in a different reality.
>>
>>2858993
>It's entertainment.
Wrong, the only point to fighters is to winning tourneys, if you are not griding away in practice mode or against a human opponent you're wasting time with your "entertainment" that will only lead to creating bad habits and making you even more of a scrub.

"Fun" is a scrub excuse for not being good enough.
>>
>>2858995
Because fighters are fast? You can play for 10 minutes and have a few matches and move on or keep playing. Nothing against dota, but people play fighters for a reason.
>>
>>2859001
i could swear it was shrinking
>>
File: 729.gif (227KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
729.gif
227KB, 600x600px
>>2859003
>playing for 10 minutes only
SCRUUUUUUUUUUUUB
You'll never amount to anything in these games.
>>
>>2859002
You sound really, really upset that there are people out there enjoying a genre you don't. I have a ton of fun playing these games, which is the point of a game.

Have fun raging over it though, buddy. :) I could watch you get upset over games all day, it's great.
>>
>>2859004
You could swear that, but you'd be wrong.

>>2859008
Nice try. I meant it's possible to sit down for a quick game, not that you master it in 10 minutes. I've been playing fighters for over 25 years now. Point it, it's not possible to sit down to a quick game of Dota.

Try again though, this is great. :)
>>
>>2859004
EVO had 3,888,620 unique viewers on twitch this year, which amounts to a 66.7% increase from 2014. It's not going anywhere, it's only growing.
>>
>>2859012
Oh I am so salty right now from all the skill you've gained at an activity that only 1% of the population even cares or knows about. It's not like someday I'm going to reflect back at all those hours I've wasted in my youth and regret deeply
>>
>>2859004
Go tell that to /fgg and watch a thousand people all laugh in your face.
>>
>>2859016
2 million only watched smash but yeah I guess you're correct
>>
File: 1444271080609s.jpg (5KB, 250x175px) Image search: [Google]
1444271080609s.jpg
5KB, 250x175px
And here I though I could actually talk about old fightan.
Quality thread /vr/, it's really evident that this board is dying by each day.

Who /Vampire Saviour/ here?
>>
File: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.gif (569KB, 162x152px) Image search: [Google]
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA.gif
569KB, 162x152px
>>2859021
>This fag posting on a korean crabcock board about wasting time
>>
>>2859021
LOL well one thing's for sure, you're certainly upset about something. So tell me, what kind of games do you play? Do you put any effort into them? Do they take any time? How do you feel about spending precious life minutes getting laughed at by people on 4chan for acting like a retard?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pWUw5F45YnA
Replace Zelda with a fighting game, that's how deranged you faggots look like
>>
>>2859027
Play Night Warriors, it's the better game.
>>
>>2859027
Are you OP? You shouldn't start a discussion with "fuck this" it's bound to only go down from there.

You did get good suggestions though. If you want to button mash pretty graphics, turn the difficulty down and mash away or look up beat em ups, you have a whole genre to entertain you.
>>
>>2859035
beat'em ups are not much better if you're going for a 1cc, really. massive waste of time
>>
>>2859034
I prefer Vampire Saviour but Night Warriors is fine too, it's mainly a roster preference
>>2859035
I ain't that huge faggot, why do you think I would be him? But I see there's some rather persistent troll here, I don't think this thread has any potential right now, I'll keep it in sight though.
>>
>>2859040
>it's mainly a roster preference
Not really, Night Warriors doesn't have air air defense which changes things up quite a bit.
>>
>>2859036
Who said anything about a 1cc? OP just wants to mash buttons at pretty graphics.

>>2859040
>I ain't that huge faggot
So you saw a thread called "fuck fighting games" and then were shocked that the discussion in the thread wasn't a nice friendly chat about retro fighters? Come on man, use some critical thinking.
>>
>>2859048
Same for you, what the fuck are you still doing here?
>>
>>2858834
>>
>>2859049
Mocking the guy who has an aneurysm because people like a genre he doesn't. 4chan is just my time killer at work. Poking him is funny.
>>
>>2859047
It's not important enough for me, I can deal with that, but I still prefer Vampire Saviour's roster over Night Warrior's
>>2859048
One also hopes intelligent people tell a faggot to shut up and start an actual discussion but I admit this doesn't look like it.
I'm just trying to start an actual meaningful discussion anyway.
>>
>>2858852
>>2858858
both of these

play on harder modes and train yourself
>>
File: feels_516771_4069365.jpg (37KB, 550x453px) Image search: [Google]
feels_516771_4069365.jpg
37KB, 550x453px
I wonder how are the Asian communities? I always hear about how clean and polite people are at Japanese arcades, how even using continues is considered rude, I wonder if the elevens are better at sportsmanship than the west is.
>>
>>2859062
OP specifically wants to button mash. High difficulty modes won't be good for him.
>>
>>2859062
>play on harder modes
DON'T
>>
>>2859067
>>2859068
he should play a god damn beat 'em up then
>>
>>2859069
Or Tekken 3 in Tekken Force mode
>>
>>2859065
They really are. I didn't save the pics, but there was an incident in Akihabara where a guy jokingly pulled a knife after his opponent pulled some bullshit move (forget what specifically) so he picked up a chair to defend himself and a bloody scuffle ensued. The scene looked pretty gruesome afterwards.

However, in good Japanese fashion they both calmed down, apologized to each other and ended up hugging.
>>
>>2859069
Yeah we suggested that.
>>
>>2859075
No fucking way. pics or it didn't happen
>>
>>2858834
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsJfLKtGlfw
>>
>>2859080
Yeah I'm kicking myself for not having saved them. I did a bit of googling, but didn't find it. The thing was recounted on some fighting games forum. If you ask /fgg I'm sure they can give you the full story.
>>
>>2859065
I've noticed that Japanese players don't seem to trash talk much at evo, but it might just be that they are bad at English.
>>
Fighting games is what you do when you realize you're too much of a pathetic fuck to get good at anything that actually matters in real life.
Since you can't get the girls might as well try to impress your pathetic aspie friends.
>>
>>2859096
Video games is what you do when you realize you're too much of a pathetic fuck to get good at anything that actually matters in real life.
Since you can't get the girls might as well try to impress your pathetic aspie friends.
>>
>>2859109
Exactly, you tell me you don't regret wasting all that wasted time arguing with autists on an internet chink tapestry board. It's really the lowest common denominator form of leisure, even jerking off would have been more productive.
>>
File: tekken-2-andy.jpg (60KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
tekken-2-andy.jpg
60KB, 600x600px
>>2858834
>why is the community hell bent into bodying newbs into submission?
they're not (mostly)
but most people will just play the way they normally do, no matter who they're fighting against, whether it be Daigo or some little kid
it's also extremely boring to let go on the gas, because you know you shouldn't be getting hit by certain things

Go play Cadillacs and Dinosaurs. Shit's fucking great. Bring a friend.

>>2858997
true
the 2003 onward games are really different from the 2000 and back ones
and then 2001 was awful and 2002 was good (full of dumb shit, but I love that game)
I still have hope for 14, I liked 13 even if it was pretty much "all the dumb shit of 2002, but more of it, also enjoy getting 100%'d by some guy with 5 bars late in the match".
14 looks like it's going back to more '98-ish play, but keeping some things from '02 and 13.

it just needs to stop looking like pre-rendered PS1 footage before release, that's all

>>2859008
a single match in Dota takes ages
you can play around 6 matches of KOF98 in that time, and maybe 9 or so matches in Super Turbo (numbers pulled out my ass, but probably right)
used those two as examples because they're well liked games that are still played regularly to this day
>>
there's always evil zone if you suck at fighting games. newer FG's even have a auto-combo mode so you can just mash away. You still wont win , if all you're gonna do is mash.

>>2858997
playmore got some of the old snk staff back, and the game is much more similar to 98, but still has some things inspired by xiii as well. shit they even have an online 3v3, so people that complain about how they can't fall back on teammates won't need to worry anymore.
>>
>>2859131
Regret? If I ever regretted coming here why would I return? No, this is where I come to kill time and get a few laughs in between shit while I'm at work. Watching you act like a big baby over the most trivial things never seems to get old.

>>2859989
I think 2002 was the last really good KoF. Some people don't like the 99-2001 games, but I like them alright except for 99. 2003 is when they started really changing and now it feels like a totally different franchise.

>>2860049
I'm still going to check out the new one, I just don't have my hopes up for it. I despised XIII passionately.
>>
>>2858834

That's what DOA and Tekken are for.
>>
>>2858909
Lol, someone got his ass handed to him on CS. Learning a map strategy can happen in a 3 minute google. Now learning to actually hit something...
>>
>>2858976

I mean, yes. RPGs and FPSs and stuff. Unless you mean those aren't retro for some reason.

Doesn't make fighting games a failed genre though. It seems pretty healthy to me. A ton of people I know get pretty excited when new fighting games come out, even people who don't play competitively.
>>
>>2858934
>It's almost impossible to get into them unless you literally grew up in the arcade scene

In this post, someone who didn't even bother to try.

Fun fact: Fighting games thrive today despite arcades being dead in America.

Fun fact: Snake Eyez is a professional SF player who can hang with OGs in Super Turbo. And he didn't start playing Super Turbo until AFTER HD: Remix came out. You let that sink in while you're making excuses.
Thread posts: 83
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.