[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are we the last generation who will ever play these games? Will

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 5

File: Retro-Games.jpg (59KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Retro-Games.jpg
59KB, 640x480px
Are we the last generation who will ever play these games? Will all these games be lost in time forever after we die?
>>
Yes. It happened to the pre-NES era, and it will happen to the NES era too. Give it a few years and no one will remember what the hell a Mario Brother really is.
>>
>>2854181
Yes OP, all these games will be lost in time, like tears in the rain.
>>
>>2854181

My little brother is like 10 and owns and plays a genesis

So no
>>
They're no longer in the mainstream but there will still be gaming buffs and hipsters who rediscover the glory of old games and take the time to appreciate them in the correct context.

I never grew up with the Atari 2600 or C64 but it doesn't mean I didn't take the time to search those systems out and their games.

One thing that could really help though is making these emulators more user friendly. I love DOSbox but how many people born past 1990 know DOS prompt commands?
>>
>>2854217
>I love DOSbox but how many people born past 1990 know DOS prompt commands?
Virtually anyone who knows jack shit about computers on a windows machine and isn't using the powershell. Batch commands and standard CLI usage is still pretty fucking useful and often faster than GUI alternatives. For example 'where' is basically an order of magnitude faster than using the standard windows search. But luckily the internet exists if you didn't know. You can look that shit up.
>>
>>2854186
Sounds like you've already forgotten the original Mario Bros.
>>
File: woozyoffshimself.jpg (498KB, 1526x1734px) Image search: [Google]
woozyoffshimself.jpg
498KB, 1526x1734px
>>2854181
Yes, because we're going to either nuke ourselves or irreparably fuck up the world economy within a lifetime or so.
>>
>>2854186

But most pre NES games were shit.
>>
>>2855009
Ladies and gentleanons, I give you Exhibit A.
>>
>>2855219
>Ladies

The ladies are all on /soc/
>>
>>2854181
No. The generation just behind you, that will be birthed in a few days, will also play these games. A few dingi of that generation will also ask the same question and my answer will still be correct.
>>
>>2854181
I'm already finding it a chore to go and play them when I can sit and just look at 4chan and do nothing instead.
>>
>>2855230
There are no ladies on the internet
>>
>>2854324
>Virtually anyone who knows jack shit about computers on a windows machine and isn't using the powershell.

There are far fewer of these people in the world than you think, and it's becoming more rare every day.

If it doesn't have a capacitive touch screen and a home button most modern "computer users" can't figure shit out.
>>
>>2854181
Absolutely not. Video games are the most perfectly preserved medium and culture that has yet existed.

Scholars go back and revisit old media all the time, and games are perfectly recorded and documented. They are 100% accessible.

People will be sifting through this shit and writing research papers about it for as long as people exist.
>>
>>2854181
No, foolish fool. I see more and more young kids buying these games everyday.
>>
>>2855595
except on social media
>>
>>2855009
Most is true, but I still see something in Combat and Missle Command compared to some recent games
>>
>>2856513
This.

Thanks to modern technology most of our digital culture will live on forever. Sure, eventually all discs will rot and become unusable. All the storage media from the 70s-early 90s that use magnetic tape are already starting to fail. But now we have high capacity micro storage with the capability to store hundreds of GB and it's getting cheaper all the time. By the time our flash memory starts to fail we'll have come up with the next form of digital storage.

Pic related, just look at all the shit we have preserved. It still blows my mind that people everywhere have been willing to come together and convert physical media to digital form, to the point where we have access to every piece of software ever commercially produced for any kind of computer or game system.
>>
File: 56569e512a[1].png (32KB, 607x484px) Image search: [Google]
56569e512a[1].png
32KB, 607x484px
>>2856529
Forgot pic
>>
>>2856517
whiny entitled bitches != ladies
>>
>>2854181
Probably not the last, but they'll come soon enough. Earth might not be habitable by the end of the century. Climate change will likely bring about another mass extinction.
>>
File: fc1.gif (107KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
fc1.gif
107KB, 320x240px
If something considered a "generation" than it still exists. I doubt with modern techology time matters much.

You always can record/watch the full playthroughts and etc
>>
File: 1445662159581.gif (44KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
1445662159581.gif
44KB, 320x240px
>>2854181
I met a traveller from an antique land
Who said: "Two vast and trunkless legs of stone
Stand in the desert. Near them, on the sand,
Half sunk, a shattered visage lies, whose frown,
And wrinkled lip, and sneer of cold command,
Tell that its sculptor well those passions read
Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,
The hand that mocked them and the heart that fed:
And on the pedestal these words appear:
'My name is Ozymandias, king of kings:
Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!'
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away."
>>
>>2855009
Solaris
Hero
Literally every single Master System game
Combat
Missile fucking command
Air raid
Pitfall
etc
>>
>>2854181
It'll be just like film
You'll have the really early era where shit was being figured out- People will study them for history and a few people dedicated to the hobby might play them out of respect for the genre, at the very least. This will be pre-NES to 6th gen. The 6th gen is when 3D gaming got good and games like Resident Evil 4 would shape gaming for years to come, so people, say, 200 years from now may still emulate these and play them to enjoy an old game much in the same way that people today watch old films or read ancient literature. A cultural barrier will prevent the mainstream from emulating this, however.
The 5th gen marks a point where there was no defining "art style" in video games like how pre-PS1 had pixels, so the whole "retro" fad and the whole idea of a "retro" fad will probably die off once even the "nerds" lose interest in pre-PS1 games.
In hundreds of years, provided that we're still on Earth and nothing has killed society as we know it, more and more people will be playing these old games for study or for "enrichment" much in the same way that people today unironically read Shakespeare.
So, no, I don't think so. Just give it a few decades so that the medium that is video games finally gains some credibility and people are interested in the history behind this art form.
>>
>>2857827
To add: Eventually there needs to be some official, funded organizations dedicated to building emulators. There needs to be more than a few people with passion when it comes time to emulate the PS4 and beyond. Organizations dedicated to preserving video games, like there are organizations dedicated to preserving film, are necessary to let people play old vidya. In 50 years, will anyone give a shit about the NES to make an emulator for Windows 20? Probably not a lot of people. That's why organizations like this need to exist. They'll probably crop up on their own once video games are seen as legit.
A big barrier to this is the fact that Disney keeps extending copyright to fucking astronomical amounts of time. If they don't cut this shit out, then organizations like this may never exist because people will still want to make money off off hundred-year-old video games. We could all benefit from copyright law being reduced back to the author's lifespan.
>>
>>2857751

I thought I was the only one who played that weird ass game

What the fuck was up with it anyway, who creates something like that
>>
>>2857814
>Master system
>before NES
>>
I'm one of those pessimists who thinks that humanity will be gone before early videogames have the time to become widely regarded as historical relics. I say we make it to 2070 or so before we're toast.
>>
I was born in 1995 and like most consoles from 16-bit era onwards
I think there will always be people playing retro games, either for curiosity or just because they find a few that are actually great. I think pretty much anything with NES graphics or better is playable for anyone that enjoys the games. Atari 2600 on the other hand.. I don't think that generation has any real appeal for anyone other than nostalgia.
>>
>>2854195
It's tears in rain
>>
>>2855009
That's the same the generation after us says about the NES.
So you have proven the theory by yourself, like >>2855219
pointed out.
>>
>>2858119
Honestly think the same. And current world situation proves that it might be possible to be even earlier.
>>
>>2858119
>I'm one of those faggots who shitpost /soc/pol/shit anyplace I can
Thanks for sharing
>>
>>2854181
Anything pre-NES outside of a few select arcade games is doomed to be cared about by nobody except hobbyists.

NES era stuff won't fade for a long ass time. Many of the franchises born in that generation are still being made, the games are super easy to access on emulators and digital stores, they're part of pop culture and there isn't as much of a barrier going back to them for modern gamers as it is returning to something like DOS or the Atari. They'll survive the same way black and white films did.
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.