[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm thinking of Buying a Sega Saturn. Is there anything

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 79
Thread images: 5

File: saturn_us.jpg (48KB, 550x380px) Image search: [Google]
saturn_us.jpg
48KB, 550x380px
I'm thinking of Buying a Sega Saturn. Is there anything I should know? Any games or accessories I should get?
>>
>>2852473
Buy a PS1 instead.
>>
>>2852473
>Is there anything I should know?
You should know that the Saturn is shit and only has like 2 good games. Emulate it instead OP.
>>
It's very pricy. Pretty robust little system though. Lasers don't die as easily as the PS1.
>>
>>2852473
buy a dreamcast instead
>>
>>2852476
This is trash. It the regurgitatation of youth. The saturn has some great game but most were Japan only. Emulation is for some folks, but others like myself, find it inauthentic.
>>
>>2852474
>>2852479
Kids, can you even read his post. Please don't submit unwanted, biased opinions.
>>
File: uZIdOs6.jpg (66KB, 613x677px) Image search: [Google]
uZIdOs6.jpg
66KB, 613x677px
>>2852482
>Emulation is for some folks, but others like myself, find it inauthentic.
>>
>>2852484
go fuck yourself
>>
It's got a great library of very Japanesey arcade style games. If that's your thing go for it, you'll love it. Make sure you get an action replay 4in-1 to play imports.

>>2852474
>>2852476
>>2852479
>>2852485
When did /vr/ become /v/
>>
>>2852495
>When did /vr/ become /v/
It always was.
>>
>>2852473
The system had an internal battery used for game saves, so that'll be dead on any one you can buy at this point. They did sell a "memory card" that was the size of a genesis cartridge & only had enough room for 3 saves in total. My memory card doesn't work consistently anymore. saves randomly disappear, then reappear if i continue on & save later. though I can't say if that's a widespread thing or just my own being faulty.
>>
>>2852495
Sometime this year. Pretty sad unfortunately.
>>
>>2852495
I swear we're a thousand times worse on the weekend.

>>2852498
No. We used to have mods and quality threads and underage shitposts were deleted.
>>
>>2852502
>not giving your shekels to the action replay jew
>>
>>2852508
So action replay will let me save properly?
>>
>>2852505
4chan general has gotten significantly worse in the last year or so. Don't get me wrong it hasn't been good even ironically for 6 or 7 years, but it's gotten so much worse recently. I'm guessing a lot of mods quit when moot did and nobody has replaced them. The fappening brought a lot of newfags too.
>>
>>2852512
yes. it also cats as ram expansion
>>
>>2852473
Don't worry OP the sega fags will start coming out of the woodwork to help you validate a shitty purchase. You can already see a few of them now.
>>
>>2852498
/vr/ was great when it first started. Lots of good discussion without shitposting or arguments that reduce the thread to /b/ level shit flinging. It's definitely gone pretty far downhill.

>>2852502
The nice thing about the internal battery is that it's just a watch battery and they're pretty easy to replace from what I've seen. I haven't tried it myself, but it looks simple enough.
>>
>>2852531
You're making a lot of assumptions.
>>
>>2852532
>/vr/ was great when it first started. Lots of good discussion without shitposting or arguments that reduce the thread to /b/ level shit flinging. It's definitely gone pretty far downhill.
Do you remember when one anon used to translate Saturn games for us as he went along, allowing us to make the decisions and shit? That was awesome.

If we had that thread now it'd be filled with underage like >>2852526
>>
>>2852516
It went to shit with the scientology raids in like 2007.

That opened the floodgates to normies who thought this place was a force of good or something.

Then the real shitpit started with the SJW bullshit and /v/ in like 2012-2013. Since then this place has been terrible.

It goes over all boards.
/a/ with the pirating bullshit
/g/ with the cellphone threads everywhere
etc
>>
>>2852545
So why was /vr/ so good at the beginning? Combination of actual moderation and the users not wanting it to turn into another /v/?

>>2852547
Seriously though, why are you complaining in every Sega thread? Why are you so triggered?
>>
>>2852554
>he must be triggered
I'm not saying I expected higher dialogue in these threads but you don't know how to ask questions.
>>
>>2852473
Collection for Saturn is getting pretty expensive. You can opt for imports, but that's not always that much cheaper. Your best option would be to get one and install a mod chip to play burned games.
>>
>>2852554
>So why was /vr/ so good at the beginning? Combination of actual moderation and the users not wanting it to turn into another /v/?

A few reasons.
It was a new board and a board meant for retro games. It was a limited interest, more so than other boards in my opinion.

You actually had decent mods.

For the first few months memeshit like “lel”, “kek”, “senpai”, and whatever else was kept to a fucking minimum. It was obvious the user base was primarily 25 and older. You even had threads derail when someone used some meme. Was actually nice.

The biggest reason though is we’re talking about actual retro games here. People think it’s a joke when it’s said that 6th gen is the cancer that started everything terrible in the industry but it’s a fucking fact. If and when 6thgen is allowed here this will be v2.0. Worse than now.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (14KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
14KB, 480x360px
>>2852539
pic related

>>2852554
I remember a lot of people regulating the boards themselves to an extent. When there was a debate/discussion and somebody replied with any sort of "you dumb faggot" type of response, people didn't tolerate it. I'm not sure how often mods deleted those kinds of posts and/or how often they got reported, but they seemed to happen very rarely.
>>
I wouldn't bother getting an NA Saturn, but there's some sort of add-on to play imports or something. Someone else would have to fill you in on that, since I just use a plain JP model.

The NA Saturn library is shit, but the JP one is pretty solid.
>>
I remember your post on /v/, did you get that image I posted? There are plenty of good games there, ignore the anons shitposting. If you can, get the arcade stick and the 3D pad. If you like racing titles the wheel is great too
>>
A few things:
- Get a model 2, preferably. The first model is supposedly more fragile. Mine died (some issue with its VDP2 which I likely won't be able to fix)
- Ditch composite, especially if you're planning on playing high resolution games (eg, the 10 players Bomberman arena). RGB is kind. SVideo is okay. Composite must die.
- Modding the console itself for zones is a bit complicated: http://www.segakore.fr/index.php/2005/06/25/methode-de-switch-sega-saturn-integrale?page=2
- It's possible to solder in a region-free BIOS if you got skills
- It's possible to get a modchip, which is easier and will also allow you to boot JP games (legit or not). Probably the better region-free option.
- Get an extra memory card if you don't want to solder / mod your console. You'll install PseudoSaturn on it (need to use the swap trick, once). The initial card's functionality can't be restored.
- You might want to also grab http://madroms.satakore.com/#SRP
- Get a 3D pad if you can
- Get a lightgun is you have a CRT
- Get a memory card
- Video CD cards are essentially useless. Few games benefit from them. There are multiple variants, not all work with games.
- Burn a shitload of games.
>>
>>2852473
Yeah get one with the older style pad as pictured here http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/usb-sega-saturn-classic-controller-pc-for-9-99-from-gameseek-2198510 , they fit more snugly in your hands.
>>
>>2852532
>The nice thing about the internal battery is that it's just a watch battery and they're pretty easy to replace from what I've seen. I haven't tried it myself, but it looks simple enough.
It's a CR2032 (same as the DC VMU). Piss easy to replace, open the back panel and there you go. You have direct access to it.
It will last approximately 1 month if leaving the Saturn unplugged (due to a circuitry "bug", the clock drains more battery than it should). It's used both for the clock and for the console's internal memory. The clock is used by quite a few games (Xmas Nights comes to mind). The internal memory is a bit small, but should do ok if you're not saving huge things like Sega Rally replays.

The internal memory can be replaced by FRAM, which won't rely on a battery:
http://www.db-elec.com/home/lab-posts/segasaturninternalmemorymodwithfram-nobatteryrequired

Also - the Action Replay memory cards have two downsides:
- their memory can not be directly accessed by the games. You must use a saves manager and copy to/from the console's internal memory to backup your stuff.
- their PCB is slightly thicker than regular memory cards. This can damage the card slot.
>>
>>2852482
You forgot that Saturn emulation is pretty unreliable.
>>
File: 1.jpg (75KB, 600x473px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
75KB, 600x473px
Get the one model with the GPS and built-in karaoke unit.
http://nfggames.com/games/hisaturn/
>>
If you get serious, get the SCART cable and a GOOD SCART to HDMI upscaler. Doesn't have to be a framemeister, but don't go too cheap either. You'll thank me later.
>>
>>2852473
Not OP, but is the Saturn region locked?
>>
>>2852736
So much wrong in one post!

>- Get a model 2, preferably. The first model is supposedly more fragile.

Wrong. Both models are built like tanks. Only the launch models are a bit different, but model 1s used 4 different boards, not just the launch one. And the launch board is only common in Japanese units, and uncommon in non-japanese ones.

Also, late model 2s have a weaker video signal, they'll have a bit more blur, and the CD drive motor can cause interference in them too.

Early model 2s used the same guts as late model 1s, so if you prefer the round buttons, but want the most solid video, then get an early model 2.

>- Ditch composite, especially if you're planning on playing high resolution games

Composite can actually help, it makes dithered mesh actually transparent. But yeah, for hi-res games, RGB is better. S-video is as good as RGB, it has slightly worse colours, but I can barely see the difference myself.

>- Modding the console itself for zones is a bit complicated

You only need 50/60Hz switch, and only if you use a PAL machine. Beyond that you have to get around the region protection, but you can do that in several ways - action replay, region free bios, or burning games with the region patched out.

The region free bios is by far the best, but it can be difficult to install without a hot air station.

>- It's possible to get a modchip, which is easier and will also allow you to boot JP games (legit or not).

WRONG. Modchips only defeat copy protection. Region protection stays there. A modchip won't allow you to boot JP originals on a US Saturn. You will need to make a copy of your originals, region patch them, and then burn them. THEN they will play. Unless, of course, you use some other way to get around the region - like the region free bios.

cont.
>>
>>2853010
>- Get an extra memory card if you don't want to solder / mod your console. You'll install PseudoSaturn on it (need to use the swap trick, once). The initial card's functionality can't be restored.

Pseudo can only be installed on cheat carts with big enough firmware, optimally the Action Replay. You CANNOT install Pseudo on a normal backup/memory cart.

And you can restore Action Replays the same way you turn them into Pseudo - just flash them with their old firmware.

You should get a normal memory cart for saving games anyway. The internal memory is pretty small once you start playing more games, and the battery can be a pain.

>- Get a 3D pad if you can

Not really necessary. Only a dozen or so games used them. It is only useful for Nights into Dreams, and in some racing games.
Also note that using the 3d pad can break some games. Golden Axe is one of those. You have to set the 3d pad into Digital-only mode for that game (the pad has a switch just for that).

>- Video CD cards are essentially useless. Few games benefit from them. There are multiple variants, not all work with games.

All the variants will work with all the games. But yeah, they are not too useful, all they do is give you better quality FMVs in a dozen or so japanese games.
>>
>>2852758
>It will last approximately 1 month if leaving the Saturn unplugged

They last 2+ years for me, on a unit that I had shelved. If you regularly play with the unit, they'll last longer.
Also, turning the console off is the same as unplugging it, there is no stand-by mode on the Saturn, the power switch physically disconnects the AC line.

>- their PCB is slightly thicker than regular memory cards. This can damage the card slot.

This is an urban legend. The AR PCBs are the same thickness as original carts. And it's not their thickness that damages the slot anyway, but the fact that the connector is extremely dense and the smallest amount of dust can prevent it from making contact.
If your carts don't work, you'll have to clean the slot AND clean the edge of the cart too. I use a pencil eraser for the dust, then wipe it with isopropyl alcohol and a glasses cleaning cloth (those microfiber ones).

>>2853008
Yeah, they are. A very few games were region free, but they are uncommon. You should get an Action Replay or a region free bios to get around the region protection, or a modchip and then region patch your copies.

Or just get a Japanese Saturn to begin with, since all the best Saturn games are japanese, and many high-price US games have much cheaper JP versions.
>>
>>2853014
>All the variants will work with all the games.
Not true. There's a model that only provides VCD playback and doesn't work with any games.
>>
You idiots complain about the "good old days" and yet fucking give the trolls attention. You can save derailing a thread by, idk, answering OP's question and ignoring the fluff. Jesus Christ.
If you want a nostalgia thread go fucking make one.
>>
File: what's up with your shit.jpg (46KB, 468x418px) Image search: [Google]
what's up with your shit.jpg
46KB, 468x418px
>>2852506
>We used to have mods
HOW MANY FUCKING TIMES DO I HAVE TO SAY IT
MODS ARE SITE-WIDE
JANITORS ARE FOR (A) SPECIFIC BOARD(S)
MODS ACT ON THE JANITOR'S RECOMMENDATION

>>2852482
>Emulation is for some folks, but others like myself, find it inauthentic.
Saturn emulation is crap anyhow.
Anyway, I personally prefer emulation as I;
>Don't have a lot of cash to spend, because I'm terrible with money.
>Am not 100% into this collecting thing, so I prefer it goes to a proper collectors who enjoys it than someone who'd play it for a few times (me) and then really never play it again, until I decide to pop it in again and play it for 5 hours until it goes back on the shelf for a year
>Retro collecting in my country (Netherlands) is fucking horrible
>I'm, compared to most here, young (early twenties). My first own console was a PS2 not long after release while I used to play N64 with a kid before that.
>>
>>2853423
>Not true. There's a model that only provides VCD playback and doesn't work with any games.

Which one? I have almost all of them, I want to check this out.
>>
>>2853446
mods are fags
janitors are fags too
therefore mods = janitors
>>
>>2853450
>Buy a PS1 already.
Nah. I would rather take gook-made shoot-em ups over gook-made menu simulators.
>>
What's a good price for a Saturn? I'm in the market for one but the ebay prices seem off to me.
>>
>>2853010
Well, I stand corrected. Thanks for taking the time to clear things out.

>WRONG. Modchips only defeat copy protection.
Especially that, which I did not know.

>Composite can actually help, it makes dithered mesh actually transparent
Never worked here (PAL). The meshes stay. The composite video still is awful (RGB for the default for everything in my country, until Nintendo pushed the N64 and showed the market they did not need to care about quality).

>You CANNOT install Pseudo on a normal backup/memory cart.
Hm, I did it, twice. I don't recall if the memcards were official Sega stuff, since it was at some friends' houses (I'm used to swapping myself, and like to keep the slot for a regular memcard).

>All the (VCD card) variants will work with all the games.
http://segaretro.org/Video_CD_Card
Only the EU model isn't compatible apparently (MK-80310). Probably simply because the games were NTSC only and the card might not be able to hwdecode NTSC video discs (?).
>>
>>2853538
off seems alright
>>
>>2853538
$50 for console with cords and 1 controller is typical
>>
good luck finding a mod chip if you plan on going that route, theres only 1 guy left that I know of that still sells them
>>
>>2853859
>I don't recall if the memcards were official Sega stuff, since it was at some friends' houses (I'm used to swapping myself, and like to keep the slot for a regular memcard).

It was a third party cart then, they often use custom firmware and data compression to get larger memory sizes - some of them can even bypass region protection.

>Only the EU model isn't compatible apparently (MK-80310).

I'm going to test that later tonight. Technically all carts use the exact same hardware, the only difference is RAM size (512kbyte or 1mbyte) and the boot rom. It's odd that the PAL cart can't play games though, they must've changed too many of the decoding calls on the cart I guess.
>>
>>2853968
Third party, maybe. Compressed data / other special features, no. It acted like the official memcard in every way (and might as well have been one, don't recall).
I have a EU vcd card somewhere in a box collecting dust, please report if you have success with it. :)
>>
>>2853981
>Compressed data / other special features, no

You'd have to open the cart to check if it compresses or not. Some carts say 16k or even 80k blocks (normal memory carts only have 8k), despite actually having LESS physical flash memory on the cart (128k or 256k, while official carts are 512k).
>>
>>2853460
The one that comes in the VCD model. Unlikely you have one unless you have a VCD Saturn. AFIK they weren't sold separately.
>>
>>2855256
>The one that comes in the VCD model. Unlikely you have one unless you have a VCD Saturn. AFIK they weren't sold separately.

You mean the hong kong only models? Yeah, there's not much of a chance of getting one of those. I only know two guys who even have one.
>>
>>2855274
Well now you know three. Don't think it was a hk only thing. I've seen them in other places. Could have been parallel though.
>>
the 3d pads are way cheaper when you import them from japan...
>>
the 4d pads are way cheaper when you import them from the future...
>>
for the people that have problems with S-Video on Model 2 saturns, ditch the power cord it came with for one that has better shielding. It fixed my issues with Saturn s-video.
>>
To the gentleman who is quite Knowledgable of the Saturn. How come my console stops reading CDs after a few hours of gameplay. Is it needing it's demise or are Saturn not made for extensive play

Thank you.
>>
>>2852473

You better have a lot of money.
>>
its pretty easy to build your own saturn out of a rasp pi and a diskman
>>
Anyone play Legend of Oasis?

Is it any good?
>>
>>2855964
Mine can be left turned on for days without any issues. Seems like something isn't right with yours.

>>2856002
It's great.
>>
>>2853864
this
controller mightn't be first party, or if it is, it's a Model 1 controller, since everyone fucking hawks the JP-style pad for $20 on its own

>>2853446
>Saturn emulation is crap anyhow.
SSF's pretty solid (and very fast), but it's not ideal by a long shot.

>>2855964
try flipping it upside down, I've had several systems that have had much better success reading discs after doing this
Seriously.

but yeah, something's probably wrong with your Saturn, they're not particularly known for disc read issues
>>
>>2855616
>Well now you know three. Don't think it was a hk only thing. I've seen them in other places. Could have been parallel though.

The Saturn with the "Video CD" decal on it was a HK / Asia only model. It had the rarest, last version video cd cart inside.

Any chance you could post pics of the cart? Maybe disassemble it and post pics of the PCB? I have little to no info on it, I'd like to learn as much as possible, but it is difficult without finding one.

I want to buy one so I can dump the ROM on the cart, but I doubt I'll ever have the chance to get one.
>>
>>2855964
>To the gentleman who is quite Knowledgable of the Saturn. How come my console stops reading CDs after a few hours of gameplay. Is it needing it's demise or are Saturn not made for extensive play

Power supply is going shit, or the unit needs recapping, or the cd drive is simply worn out.
>>
>>2852473
it's kind of a tough one to collect for. I got lucky and got it for like, 50$ off craigslist. But the 3d controller is a cool accessory. You should also get a light gun and like, virtua cop if you got a tv that works with it. Astal is also a nice little gem on that system, but aside from that, it's got a meh library but it's still pretty sweet.
>>
>>2856787
He needs to just lube that sucker up. It'll at least extend his playtime even if that isn't the main culprit
>>
>>2856909
Yeah, there are so many potential problems. The motors could be over their lifetime, so could be the laser, so could be the caps on any part of the system, and the power supplies are known to sometimes go trash - sometimes they start throwing errors from overheating if they have been on for too long, sometimes they have the game crashing left and right UNTIL they warmed up properly, and crash less often afterwards, until they get fully stable.
>>
>>2856786
Will do. Some day. Not even sure where it is right now. I asked if anyone wanted it dumped a while back on assembler but no one was interested. From what I recall it's a 4 meg board identical to others but different bios. The game I tried recognized it but wouldn't run
>>
>>2857612
I'm definitely interested for what its worth. Dumping it requires you to desolder the board however.
>>
>>2857612
>I asked if anyone wanted it dumped a while back on assembler but no one was interested.

Was it this thread?

http://assemblergames.com/l/threads/saturn-video-cd-card.55658/
>>
>>2857716
It was. I have the kit to desolder and dump. I'm actually more interested in how to dump it without all that. Just because reasons. Will add it to my todo list
>>
>>2857871
Joining the other anons to thank you on this, much appreciated
>>
>>2857871
>I'm actually more interested in how to dump it without all that. Just because reasons.

You could attach cables to the edge connector of the cart, but it is faster to desolder it if you have a hot air station.

I don't think it is possible to dump it from the Saturn side. The cart isn't even mapped to the SH2s, so you can't just read the machines memory for it (assuming you have a way to do that).
>>
>>2852495
When retards like you kept responding to really obvious bait just encouraging them even more.
>>
>>2858351
Well fuck. Post some obscure thing on home of the obscure and get no response. Mention as a tangent to one point int a post on /vr/ and everyone's interested. Go figure.

>>2858363
>edge connector
Yeah, that's not going to happen. I'll desolder if I have to. When I got the thing I did some research and it seemed it was possible to dump without desoldering. I'll look into it some more when I get a chance. Probably not until after CNY so this thread will be long dead and I'll post results on assembler.
Thread posts: 79
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.