[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Now that the dust has settled, what's the definitive

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 7

File: final-fantasy-iv.gif (8KB, 256x223px) Image search: [Google]
final-fantasy-iv.gif
8KB, 256x223px
Now that the dust has settled, what's the definitive version of this game?
>>
>>2850996
FF4CC PSP no doubt.
>>
SFC Hard Type
>>
>>2850996
These goddamn memes why does /vr/ always get bullied
>>
Namingway or DS. All other versions are obsolete.
>>
>>2851046
>DS version
Yeah, if you want to ditch the sprite art for shit-tier 3D graphics.
>>
>>2851618

Whatever. Not gonna argue with a graphics whore.
>>
>>2851645
I want the CGI palz to leave.
>>
>>2851645
Why is that a graphics whore argument? The DS version's graphics and art direction completely rob the game of any personality. It wouldn't matter if the remake was on a modern console with HD graphics, the art style is crap.
>>
>>2851665
The gameplay is benefitted drastically. The tradeoff (which is nowhere near as bad as you're making it sound) is well worth it.
>>
>>2851665
>The DS version's graphics and art direction completely rob the game of any personality.
I don't think that's a fair assessment. The overall tone might be different but it's still quite charming. It's not like the FF5 and FF6 mobile versions where everything clashes horribly with everything.
>>
Now that the dust has settled
o
w

t
h
a
t

t
h
e

d
u
s
t

h
a
s

s
e
t
t
l
e
d
>>
The DS port, because its the only one with remotely good gameplay.

>B-b-but muh GRAFICX! Muh charm!
Gameplay is far and away more important than graphics, and "charm" is just your nostalgia boner.
>>
>>2851665
The art direction is totally fine. It reminds me of a late PS1-era game.

Really though, everyone here clamours about how there is one "best" version and every other version is "crap". But it's hard to go wrong with this game. This is the first RPG I ever beat on my own as a 7-year-old kid, on the SNES. Today, I own the SNES, GBA, DS, and Playstation versions of this game, and the only one of those I would NOT recommend is the playstation version, and only due to the load times inherent to the system (it's fine otherwise). This game is a classic, and if you haven't played it, just pick one and go for it.

The DS version is incredibly different than any iteration of the original. It's worth playing as an entirely separate game. The graphics and music were completely revamped. The script updated, more story sequences added. Every single fight in the game was completely overhauled, adding more strategy and fun to the battle system. New features like augments and party member switching in the endgame were added. Voice acting during cutscenes.

Just about the only thing that stayed was the dungeon layouts and the plot.
>>
The original Super Famicom version, at least if you can understand Japanese. The English fan translations are frankly terrible, but at least you have that option. As far as localization goes, the PS1 port is as close as you'll get to a "good" translation. The GBA (and consequently, PSP) version somehow manages to be even worse than the original SNES translation. Not to mention how obviously rushed the GBA port is.

So, yeah. Get the PS1 port, or suck it up and play the Super Famicom version.
>>
My computer died during the other thread but it really sounded like the op couldn't figure out a good way to manage his forces, especially mages.
I find the challenge in early FF games is that your party adjusts to handle new challenges, it's not a test of might but endurance.

In FF4 the early challenge of wandering the desert and finding your way to the OctoMammoth is learning to moderate your MP though you have the temptation of Tellah and his very expensive 'aga' spells. Even if you never know to use rods for free spells you can still get by exploiting elemental weaknesses with level 1 spells and relying on Rydia for cheap healing and Cecil for damage.

I don't quite understand people who approach these games, simple though they might appear, and immediately find fault with them for their difficulty instead of trying to adjust and learn to endure.
>>
DS version.
>>
File: 1448247574233.jpg (247KB, 600x771px) Image search: [Google]
1448247574233.jpg
247KB, 600x771px
I have to also endorse the DS version.

The 3D really isn't that bad and the character designs stay true to the original art and sprites.
Though personally Golbez could've had a better out of battle sprite and Scarmigliones first form shouldn't have been so cartoonish.

The augment system is great and allows for some interesting character builds and strategies.
Though to get the most out of it you have to know two things: to give each temporary member two augments(three to Palom/Porom) and who is a temporary character.
>>
>>2851043
Easy target desu
Your guys feelings get hurt easily lol
>>
>>2854379
What's exactly wrong with the translation ? This is a genuine question, I haven't played FFIV yet.
>>
>>2854557
Don't listen to that faggot, the PSP version is a good translation.
>>
>>2854557
Most of the dislike comes from putting old internet memes in the script. They're extremely easy to miss though.
>>
PSP and Wii VC versions are probably the best if you want the really fancy sprites and if you want to play After Years or whatever it's called.

GBA version is perfectly fine as well if you want all the original graphics. I recommend it second because of its flaws. The battles have some weird lag. They increased the gamma a lot so it would look better on the GBA screen so the game appears washed out in emulators and on DS. The music didn't translate well from the SNES. However you can fix every one of these problems except the battle lag with fan made patches. GBA version also has the extra post-game dungeons which are really great.

I recommend playing the DS remake only if you really want the 3d graphics and voice acting. Otherwise play the PSP version/Wii VC first.
>>
>>2854575
Old internet memes ? In the translation of a GBA/PSP game ? What ?!
>>
>>2854557

The translator (presumably Smith) just makes shit up as he goes along. The flow, the characterization, etc. aren't consistent with the original script. I'm not the type to push for literal accuracy, but there's nothing about the GBA translation and onward that suggests any real grasp of the source language. The translator / editor's grammar is also really bizarre.

This has been a recurring problem ever since the merger with Enix, actually. I'm not sure if it's a result of Square's localization team being restaffed, but you can definitely tell a difference between then and now.
>>
For me, its FF2 on the SNES. Sure, it has a terrible translation and set to easy mode for whatever reason, but all the versions that came after feel like they're just tacking more shit on. Sometimes you just want to enjoy things with the imperfections intact.
>>
>>2854653
>Sometimes you just want to enjoy things with the imperfections
>>
>>2854648

Something else I've noticed: Final Fantasy and SaGa seem to have different localization teams. The more recent SaGa localizations more closely resemble Square's PlayStation-era work, and you can tell just by the style of grammar used that the two series are now handled by completely different translators. Maybe Kawazu inherited some of Square's old staff after the merger.

I suspect the SaGa team also lent their expertise to the localization of FF Crystal Chronicles, which is one of the highest quality localizations I've ever seen. It's too bad Square keeps pushing the bar lower with their flagship series. It's like they don't even care about their fans overseas.
>>
>>2854648
>but there's nothing about the GBA translation and onward that suggests any real grasp of the source language.

The GBA script is heavily based on the PlayStation translation, which, while decently written, most of its lines were written with no regard as to what was being said in the Japanese version, and the PSP script is heavily based on the GBA script with minor altercations in between each iteration. It's kind of a weird mangled mess.

The DS script, however, was done from scratch without being based on or influenced by any other version before it (Minus the obvious "Spoony bard" line which has to be kept in every English version of the game) and it's very, very well translated and, most importantly, well written. I kind of wish someone would take that script and insert it into the SFC version of the game. Or at least patch the DS and/or PC version to remove the 15fps framerate lock during battle scenes. Either way I'd be happy.
>>
File: Ff4.png (54KB, 243x217px) Image search: [Google]
Ff4.png
54KB, 243x217px
>>2851618
Many 16 bit square rpgs have horribly noisy tiles

this is some RPG maker shit right here.
>>
>>2854648

You talkin' about the DS version ("Smith" presumably referring to "Alexander O. Smith")?
>>
>>2854695
>The DS script, however, [...] it's very, very well translated and, most importantly, well written.

Er, no. It is none of these things, which is one of the things that put me off. Like I said, Square Enix took its localization quality down a notch after the merger, and their DS library is no exception.
>>
>>2854816
Not him, but can you give specific examples?

It's not that I don't believe one or the other, but I don't know nip so I can't compare it directly.
>>
>>2854816

I think I'll take Mato's word over yours. You're just some random fuck on the internet; Mato is a well known and respected member of the ROM-hacking/translator community, and in his write-up (in which he compares all translations side by side) the DS version comes out on top.
>>
>>2850996
Now that he dust has settled, review the dust. What dust was the best dust?
>>
>>2854828
This is why I stopped giving a fuck about the translation. The thing's been re-translated so many times and the game significantly fucked with each time to the point its not worth giving a shit over.
>>
>>2854828

Fuck you too, jerkass. Go wave your e-peen in someone else's face.
>>
>>2854557
I remember Palom comparing Baigan to William Shatner in the J2E 2.0 patch when I was a kid.

I was never update about translations but that threw up red flags to about the same extent as the "Arche fucks like a tiger" line in ToP.
>>
>>2854849
*uptight
>>
>>2854828
He outright was guestimating with the DS version. He even says early on

>I’m fairly certain the DS translation was done from scratch. I don’t have time to play through it (or any way to get decent screenshots)

All of it is just guesswork on his part due to playing the other versions of the game and comparing a few lines here or there.

That said, outside of the original SNES version, I don't really think any translation of the game is outright terrible. It ranges from okay to pretty good, in my book.

>>2854846
I'm pretty sure that's not Mato given that guy is too busy with other shit to even visit his own website frequently.
>>
File: 1423833122633.png (55KB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
1423833122633.png
55KB, 480x270px
>>2854631
>>
>>2854880
I do not see any memes in that picture.
>>
Anyone who thinks the DS translation of FFIV is worse than the SNES one is either being contrarian for the hell of it, blinded by nostalgia, or a fucking moron. It's really not even subjective, a large chunk of FFIV on the SNES doesn't even read like it was written by a native speaker.
>>
>>2854904
>something awful
>goons
>>
>>2854846

Oh boy, I sure do love these salty tears!

>>2854858

Where did I ever claim to be Mato?
>>
>>2850996
I think with Final Fantasy IV it depends on what you want. If you want updated graphics similar to the original, than PSP. If you want a 3D remake, than DS. But for the classic graphics I say Namingway Edition. It's derived from Project II which uses notes from Tomato for the translation.
>>
>>2854908
I do not get it.
>>
>>2854909
>Where did I ever claim to be Mato?
I didn't say you were.
The other guy telling you to fuck off and go wave your e-peen elsewhere gave me the impression he was implying you were.
>>
>>2854914
something awful is a website
the people who go there call themselves goons

it's a reference to the site
>>
>>2854918
Do you have any proof?
>>
>>2854909
>>2854915
does anyone honestly think he has the time/gives a shit enough to read this shitty board
>>
File: 1435091217386.png (45KB, 751x246px) Image search: [Google]
1435091217386.png
45KB, 751x246px
>>2854920
Outside of the wording and other obvious old internet jokes in the game, no.

Another good example is this screenshot.

>>2854923
no
that's what i was saying in the first place
>>
>>2854923
Yes.
>>
>>2854920
No, it's just a silly throwaway reference at best that spergs use to try and convince people the borderline-broken SNES translation is better. Had a similar possible reference appeared in the first version the same idiots would be saying how it gave the game much-needed charm. Don't bother arguing with them.
>>
>>2854926
What would that even be a reference too?
>>
>>2854930
An old internet page: http://www.realultimatepower.net/index4.htm
>>
>>2854904
It's subtle enough that it doesn't beat you over the head that it is a reference.
>>
>>2854926
I do not see any memes in that picture.
>>
>>2854553
ううぅ... 酷いよ
>>
I'll how they change line "Now that the dust has settled" into "I am a huge faggot"
>>
Is there a good hack for the original NES Final Fantasy? I'd like to play the original, but not have to worry about all the bugs or playing one of the remakes.
>>
Speaking of definitive versions, there are a few FF7's out there now. the Playstation one, the PC one, and the PC re-release that I know of

Which should I play? I've beaten it before on Playstation years ago.
>>
>>2855924

My money is on the one that's almost done being back-ported to the PSX version (started as a PC Mod).
>>
>>2855672
http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/1631/
>>
File: old.jpg (12KB, 333x279px) Image search: [Google]
old.jpg
12KB, 333x279px
>>2854880
>>2854904
>>2854914

We're posting on a website literally born of weaboo SA refugees and outcasts. Seeing people who don't know what SA is never stops being funny.
>>
>>2855962
>It used those words, must be a reference!
>>
>>2855963
If you're going to pretend to be _that guy_ then you can't join in the discussion. You're not funny. You're not clever. You're not fooling anybody. You're poor, you're lonely, you're going to die alone.
>>
>>2855965
>that guy
Epic TGWTG reference bro
>>
>>2855969
This. You can misconstrue almost anything as a reference to something.
>>
File: furfagmetroid.jpg (174KB, 1067x600px) Image search: [Google]
furfagmetroid.jpg
174KB, 1067x600px
>>2854836
>>
>>2856935
Real talk, if there's a "new" game that feels like it was ripped straight from the mid-90s it's this one and I loved it a lot even if it was way too easy. People gave it shit for its art style but given that I loved Dean Dodrill's stuff in Jazz 2 and his art did not change whatsoever in 20 years, it added a lot to the charm.

Fidget is also r8 cute. Carry on.
>>
>>2857060
It's a fun game, no doubt. And only 4chan hated the art style, because 4chan hates everything.
>>
>>2850996

DS
Thread posts: 73
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.