[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Should I play this? Does it fix the silly censorship the NES

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 4

File: latest[2].jpg (112KB, 597x600px) Image search: [Google]
latest[2].jpg
112KB, 597x600px
Should I play this? Does it fix the silly censorship the NES version had? (Pentagrams replaced by triangles, church replaced by clinics). I also heard it doesn't dumb down the gameplay like the GBA version did.
>>
>>2850464
>Nintendo censorship!!
It's even come to /vr/, god dammit
>>
The GBA one is preferable but at the end of the day the games aren't very good. Start with FF3 on the NES
>>
>>2850493
^ this. GBA isn't "dumbed down", they just made the leveling of stats and magic much less tedious, which is a GOOD thing. There's also the added "Soul of Rebirth" story after you beat it. But like the anon above said, at the end of the day they're really not very good. If you only plan on playing it just for the sake of beating it at least once, do the GBA version. Doing the PSX version is just ripping yourself off of many hours of time that could have been spent on a better game.
>>
>>2850493
>The GBA one is preferable

The GBA is the worst version. the PSP version is basically the GBA version but improved in every way possible.

>Start with FF3 on the NES
you're either trolling or a very special snowflake
>>
>>2850507
>GBA isn't "dumbed down"

are you kidding me? it's completely dumbed down

>they just made the leveling of stats and magic much less tedious

casual detected
>>
>>2850464
I'd answer but your "dumb down" nonsense means you're just trying to start a fight.
>>
>>2850464
Honestly why would you even want to see pentagrams? Are you some edgy teenager?
>>
>>2850547
Because it's indicative of the possibility that the story has been messed with.

This isn't so much an issue with 1, but 2 actually has a story.

OP wants to know if the story has been messed with and if the combat had been messed with, and I too am curious about the answer since everyone here send to be taking exception that the GBA version was slighted.
>>
>>2850507
>GBA isn't "dumbed down", they just made the leveling of stats and magic much less tedious
What are you talking about? In the GBA version, your party is completely invincible by Melmond. You can buy literally anything you want, your mages' MP goes up so high that you can just spam offensive magic to bail you out of any situation, and you save anywhere you want to easily savescum.

>>2850464
It's worth playing. It's essentially the NES games with updated graphics, sound, and bugfixes.
>>
>>2850514
It was shit to begin with, not to mention it's bordering on impossible to max your stats in FF2. The story's pretty cool though, so the GBA version is preferable because it's quicker to complete.
>>
The Origins version of FF1 retrofits the censorship changes found in the NES version... in a manner of speaking. I don't think it was an intentional effort to "censor" the game in the case of Origins, though. There are still things like pentagrams in magic animations, so I think changing the magic shop signs was done simply for aesthetic reasons, or consistency with other FF games.

As for the difficulty level, it's basically the same as the NES version, except that the INT and weapon element bugs were fixed, which arguably makes battles a little easier. Things like auto-retargeting, casting Life in battle, or dashing while on maps can be turned off or on in the config menu, depending on your preference there.

Aside from bug fixes, I can't think of any immediate changes to FF2. It seems like I read somewhere that weapon and spell levels require more experience in the Origins version, but I'm not sure. They definitely require a lot less experience in the GBA and PSP versions.

>>2850490
>It's even come to /vr/, god dammit

You say that as if it's a meme. It's a known fact that Nintendo was heavy on censorship back in the day. This was the entire reason Square break relations with Nintendo for a while.
>>
>>2850610
>entire reason
Ever heard of optical media?
>>
>>2850490
There's a difference in the censorship of Nintendo of Japan and Nintendo of America.
>>
I just got it myself, so I'd say yes. I've been wanting to play them for awhile.
>>
>>2850571
Don't remember about the story, but yes the last time there were stat downs in FFII were in the PS1 version. All versions after the PS1 version removed stat downs for either using strength based attacks or magic attacks. Such a system really emphasized specializing what skills your character had rather than trying to develop black magic, white magic, and physical attacks.
>>
>>2850464
FF1 is so simplistic that I don't understand how you could possibly care about pentagrams or churches. There's barely any substance in the game's actual story to be mad about it being changed.

As for FF2, I recommend you find a fantranslation of the original NES one. http://www.romhacking.net/translations/139/ This one right here says that it "took liberties" with the dialogue, but that probably just means they changed lines like "shoganai" to something like "that's too bad" instead of "it can't be helped" to make it sound more Americany. Literal translation purists are really bizarre and form their own weird dialect of English where everybody says "HOWEVER" a lot.
>>
>>2850464
http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/1631/

I will just keep posting this patch every time someone asks;

Restored Graphics
More Accurate Translation
Massive Bugfixes, even over the PSX version
Increased Character Limit
Boss Music if you want to get rid of the Sliding Puzzle

Just play the NES version. I never liked the updated class sprites anyway.
>>
>>2850596
You shouldn't have to max out stats. Why worry about maxing out stats? I'm sure they did that so you won't have God like perfect in everything characters
>>
I liked it. Load time though.
>>
>>2850464
I consider these the definitive versions of 1 & 2.

I just wish FF3 had been revamped like these...those mockups, man....
>>
>>2850464
In FF1 of Origins, there's an HUGE jump in difficulty at the last dungeon, necessitating grinding before entering it. You can't go back to town and you'll have to fight every boss you've encountered so far in the game. The bosses here are much more powerful than when you've first encountered them. Lich in his younger years is even more powerful than the aged Tiamat. Make sure you don't step back into the spot where the bosses appear in or you'll have to fight them again. FF2 plays fine.
>>
>>2850514
Higher exp doesn't mean an easier game, just less time grinding.
Spending a lot of time grinding exp doesn't equal a hard RPG.
>>
>>2851484
>necessitating grinding before entering it
Literally the only time I needed to grind in Origins FF1 was so my mage could learn Lightning 2 to kill the Squid things in the Marsh Cave. Right after the last fiend, I went to the final dungeon, and finished the game. As long as you use Temper, the Giant's Glove and Haste, you'll be fine.
>>
People do 1 White Mage at Level 1 runs of FF1. There is no grinding required.

If you needed to grind it's because you're bad.
>>
>>2851661
>People do 1 White Mage at Level 1 runs of FF1.
I would like to see that.
>>
>>2850509
>PSP
That's really up to preference, I personally can't stand the style of the PSP FF ports.
>>
>>2851013
This is a personal gripe of mine. I run into it a lot reading lesser-known manga/manhwa (low budget Korean stuff especially). Why on earth do people who ostensibly know the source language and English well translate kinship terms/respectful terms literally? Would you call an older man "uncle" for no reason if he's not related to you? Would you call a younger girl "sister"? It's immersion breaking and blows my mind that these people think it's a good idea to translate like that.
>>
>>2852120
>Would you call an older man "uncle" for no reason if he's not related to you?

That's a pretty poor example because a lot of kids will call close friends of the family aunt/uncle. I do get what you're trying to say, though.
>>
>>2851484
You don't have to grind. In the last dungeon just flee from the random battles. The bosses can be killed in 1-2 combat rounds each.
>>
>>2850493

>The GBA one is preferrable

To who, children?
>>
>>2852048
psp is just a psx game, I don't personally like gba version graphics.
but leveling magic in ff2 pre-gba version is extremely tedious, even when abusing own-party-targeting... I really don't understand it - you need to cast a spell hundreds and hundreds of times in order to level up just a tiny bit...

>>2851661
that's just bullshit
>>
File: metal slime draws near.gif (25KB, 550x400px) Image search: [Google]
metal slime draws near.gif
25KB, 550x400px
>Final Fantasy thread is nothing but worthless Nintendrones vs Sonygger shitposting

I'm glad I'm not a fan of the series
>>
>>2852410
>dragon quest
>not a victim of Sony v. Nintendo
just wait till DQXI cuz it's gonna be a shitshow
>>
>>2852406
>psp is just a psx game

I don't understand this statement. Are you saying the PSP version is similar in balance to the PS1 version? It's most definitely not. The PSP version is just a copy and paste port of the GBA version, with scaled up sprites and backgrounds.

>leveling magic in ff2 pre-gba version is extremely tedious

I agree, but this is the only complaint about FF2's mechanics I will concede to. Weapon levels are easier to increase thanks to dual-wielding, but there's no such work-around for magic levels, which makes only healing and buffs practical to use.
>>
>>2851661
>1 White Mage at Level 1
That's literally impossible. You don't really know what you're talking about.
>>
>>2852423
This.

It's literally impossible to finish the game lower than four people at level 9 if you beat all of the required bosses.

If we're talking about 'stairs%' then level 1 with white mages is totally possible but who fucking cares.

>>2852410
You're an idiot. We're not talking about final fantasy as a whole; we're talking about which version of final fantasy 1 is our favorite. That is absolutely a nintendo vs sony argument.

"Which system should I get this multiplat game for?"
>>
File: DQMetalSlimeArt.png (36KB, 200x189px) Image search: [Google]
DQMetalSlimeArt.png
36KB, 200x189px
>>2852431
>You're an idiot.

Says the guy defending console warring.

>we're talking about which version of final fantasy 1 is our favorite. That is absolutely a nintendo vs sony argument.

You're just /v/ kiddies applying your console war culture to /vr/.

Bitches talking about GBA and PSP.

Why nobody talks about the MSX2 or WonderSwan ports? Right, because you're all kids.

Just play the original NES version.
>>
>>2852442
Again, nobody is having a console war right now. You're an idiot. The only mentions of different versions have been with respect to the way Final Fantasy 1 was handled for the ports. One person said they liked the GBA version, and another person said that the PSP version was superior to the GBA version in every way. NOBODY said that the PSP was superior to the GBA, just that the PSP port of FF1 was better than the GBA port of FF1.

Also stop being an Avatarfag.
>>
>>2852442
>just play the original nes version!
>calls others kids
ok buddy
>>
File: DQBag_o_laughs.jpg (9KB, 220x206px) Image search: [Google]
DQBag_o_laughs.jpg
9KB, 220x206px
>>2852454
>>2852460
>>
>>2851417
FF3 on NES is perfect the way it is
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.