[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is the Select button? It's like the Scroll Lock on

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 58
Thread images: 3

File: 2651544668_a893f71a6e_o[1].jpg (25KB, 500x204px) Image search: [Google]
2651544668_a893f71a6e_o[1].jpg
25KB, 500x204px
What is the Select button?

It's like the Scroll Lock on a keyboard: a vestigial element that long overstayed it's need or relevance.
>>
Are you sure this is what you want to discuss on a Saturday morning? The Select button?
>>
>>2849658
Well I can't talk about Akuma appearing in Tekken 7 here...
>>
Do you really want to give up your buttons? If you let them take away a button it's only a matter of time before they take them all and everyone is playing on touch screens.
>>
I've always viewed it as a cousin to the Start button: it provides extra functionality but usually without pausing the game.
>>
>>2849678
Didn't they just double down on the pause button in Mega Man by double-mapping it to Select?
>>
Sega kid here

WTF is a select button?
>>
>What is the Select button?

Its a holdover from the Atari VCS and similar consoles which had their select and start buttons/switches mounted on the consoles themselves, which was kind of a pain to deal with. It ended up largely redundant because Nintendo games didn't really follow the Atari game format of having a base game with 20+ variants, so the select button became more of a second function button. It did disappear when Sega tried to come up with their own controller designs, but the master system controller ended up being a d-pad with 2 buttons to the NES controller's d-pad with 4 buttons, and the Genesis went with a d-pad with 4 buttons while the Super NES went with a d-pad and 8 buttons.

The Select button was basically cemented on to modern controller layout with its inclusion on the Playstation controller. It really doesn't serve it's original purpose, but its purpose as a function key is invaluable.
>>
>>2849656
>It's like the Scroll Lock on a keyboard: a vestigial element that long overstayed it's need or relevance.

play super metroid and act like you gonna dis the select button one more again.
>>
it's the start button that shouldn't exist. it's never used to start anything except in old games when you had to press it on the title screen for no reason
>>
>>2849689
well select was pause while start was the menu
slightly different but menu has more functionality obviously
>>
>>2850140
All buttons should exist. Unless you want smartphone style screen buttons! DO YOU WANT THAT?!
>>
Yes, let's take out a button we had for decades and which has been used for far more than selecting things and replace it with something else, like, I don't know, a fucking SHARE button.
>>
it's a second start button in case you wanna have two types of pause menus
for example, start can open up a map while select will go through inventory, both will pause the action
>>
It's a button put in place to help show that you are to young to be posting here.
>>
how would you prefer to SELECT your secondary weapon in TMNT
>>
>>2849656
A select button gives you more options. It also allows more features in the game.
>>
>>2849969
I'm still upset the DS4 lacks both a start and select button.
>>
>>2850479
Start just got changed to options. It still functions the same. While share != select, the clicky touch pad thing could be associated with being the new select button.
>>
What's wrong with an extra button? It's there just in case you want to add something else, but are running out of buttons.
>>
Hardly any game actually used it.

I really wish Mega Man had a quick weapon swap with select.
>>
>>2850080
casualfag, nobody keeps the select button as their switch button, everyone uses y, including speed runners.
>>
>>2850527
>could be

Absolutely is. Haven't played a PS4 game yet that didn't do this.
>>
>>2850275
>tfw I still accidentally press Share on the DS4
Fucking muscle memory
>>
>>2850687
I think we all do that.
>>
>>2850569
Well I guess that settles it, the speed runners did it so that makes it the universal standard. I was wondering how best to play my games. Thank god the speed runners told us or I'd be lost.
>>
>>2850479
If you're using it on PC, the Share button is the Select button. If you're using it on PS4, clicking the touch pad is the select button. Options replaced Start, of course. I feel your pain though.
>>
File: 8353847344.gif (564KB, 400x308px) Image search: [Google]
8353847344.gif
564KB, 400x308px
>>2849672
kek... no ones has commented about how anon is clearly arguing for the 2nd amendment.
>>
>>2850687
I got used it pretty quickly. I wish they hadn't called it the SHARE button though, such a dumb name when all it does is take screenshots.
>>
NES games feel so much better with select mapped to a face button. Metroid, Punch Out, Batman...all much more convenient. If only the NES had a controller like the Genesis 3 button...
>>
the meaning is lost in modern videogames but it's pretty much always just been a generic button.
>>
>>2850892

God damn, thank you. It's just a button. The name is meaningless. The 6 Button Genesis pad's Mode button could even be mapped as a regular button, but all of 3 games even bothered.
>>
There's nothing worse than a retro game that actually uses the select buttons to select things in a menu.
THAT'S WHAT DIRECTION BUTTONS ARE FOR.
>>
>>2850850
You think any of these neet faggots know what the second amendment is?
>>
>>2849656
On NES games it mainly worked like the tab key on a computer keyboard. On SNES and later systems, it was a vestigial design element used mainly to bring up menus.
>>
>>2850140
>start button
>not pausing your game
>>
>>2850850
>pointing out how a joke works is the funny part!
>since I pointed it out first I'm the only one who understood it!
>>
>>2851406
>pointing out someone else pointing out a joke.
>has a sad life and feels superior when he can.
>>
>>2849656
Could just as well have been another face button, like on a Genesis pad, but I won't say no to extra buttons, I mean, it's not like it wasn't ever used.

>>2850850
>high capacity controllers with turbo sears
From my cold dead hands, anon.
>>
>>2849921
It's like the Mode button on a 6 button controller except there wasn't any mode.

>>2851253
It is my dream to take part in it.
One day, I'll be a Burger.
>>
>>2853963
Bad analogy. The MODE button changes the way the controller operates (falls back to a legacy protocol), it wasn't meant to be a regular button. It sometimes was used such (shoulder button) though.
>>
It doesn't matter what you call it, you could call it the Z button, it doesn't matter. You can assign a task to any button. Like in a lot of JRPG's for the PS1 you brought up the character menus with the triangle button rather than pressing start most of the time.
>>
>>2853986
It's the closest I could think of.
When I emulate Genesis I map the Mode button to the Select button on my PSX ripoff gamepad, felt fitting.

Some games used it as an extra button tho
>>
Speaking of the NES Advantage, didn't Sega have an equivalent?
>>
>>2849656
In short you used it on the title screen to select game modes before some genius figured out that it's easier to do that with the D-pad.

I am against taking buttons away and I think select can still be given use in this day and age even if it doesn't 'select'.
>>
>>2850565
>I really wish Mega Man had a quick weapon swap with select.
Now that is a genuinely good idea, mail it to the past, quickly.
>>
File: gencontroller.jpg (42KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
gencontroller.jpg
42KB, 640x480px
>take select and move it over to the right
>now you have A/B/C instead of select/A/B

Yet another case where superior Sega wins again over you Nintendo shitheads.
>>
>>2849656
The select button's name is a relic, just like how the start button kept its name despite being used exclusively for opening the pause menu.
It's just used for opening maps or being a shortcut to sub-menus.
>>
>>2850275
the placement of the share button is retarded, but the touchpad adds 2 buttons which are usually used in place of select
>>
>>2858178
>16bit system
>only three face buttons
I mean I know they fixed that later, but COME ON.
>>
>>2859257
It came out in the '80s and before SF2, family, there was simply no reason to use 6 buttons yet.
>>
>>2859257
No one ever had any issues with that, until Street Fighter came out.
>>
>>2859257

How many arcade games were available in 1988 which used more than 3 buttons? Even after that there were few games that used all the 6 buttons, if you're not into fightans maybe you wouldn't even care about getting one. But thinking about the 6 button pad I can call the "mode" button vestigial element, I have no idea about which game used it for some essential function.
>>
>>2859284
Some games were outright incompatible with the 6 button controller, so holding the mode button fooled the system into recognizing it as a 3 button controller. It had some other uses, apparently, According to Sega Retro:
>Though the mode button is officially used on a six button control pad to switch between six button and three button modes, many developers utilised it in-game as an extra button for gameplay. In many situations the mode button's usage is kept hidden from the player by not being listed in manuals, thus its use is not widely documented."
>List of Games which use the Mode Button: Aerobiz Supersonic, After Burner Complete, Batman Forever, Doom, Dragon Ball Z: Buyuu Retsuden, Fatal Fury 2, The Lost Vikings, Nightmare Circus, Star Wars Arcade, The Story of Thor, TechnoClash
>>
>>2858178
>console wars
>on /vr/

Shit, I thought we were over this already.
>>
>>2858178
Growing up with an SNES, it baffled me as to why the default Genesis controller only had the three action buttons and Start. That said, the three button Genesis pad is probably one of the comfiest controllers I've ever used.
>>
>>2860906
Growing up with a sega genesis, I always thought the exact opposite. What game ever used all 8 buttons? For me, it either made things way too complicated (such as having to run/fire/jump/ at the same time on Super Metriod, or having to do the "press the right buttons in the correct order" mini game in Yoshi's Island) or it just new bothered to use half the buttons.
>>
>>2860959
>For me, it either made things way too complicated
For real?
Thread posts: 58
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.