[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I need some more games with a deep story and the lore spans several

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 8

File: xenogears.jpg (86KB, 256x240px) Image search: [Google]
xenogears.jpg
86KB, 256x240px
I need some more games with a deep story and the lore spans several centuries. Are there any more out there besides Xenogears?
>>
SaGa Frontier's 2 plot spans several generations, divided between two major protagonists. The game doesn't adequately explain the backgrounds of certain key characters or concepts though. There are a lot of things you'll discover only by reading the Ultimania guide published at a later time.
>>
Is xenogears worth playing at this point?

I'm curious to try it but I feel most 90s era jrpgs haven't held up too well.
>>
>>2843875
Yes. It's still a good game, and doesn't need quality of life improvements beyond platforming sections that cannot be done while an encounter is loading.
>>
>>2843875
The first disc at least.
>>
>>2843875
Totally, and I recommand you to read Xenogears : Perfect Works as well, just to realize what could have been the series in an ideal world
>>
>>2843875
I would disagree.

Combat is generic.
The story is hamfisted and presented in huge sections of "people sitting around and talking".
It falls into old JRPG tropes of you doing a bunch of arbitrary things at arbitrary times without letting you know the big picture early on.

I think its genuinely terrible. It would've made a better anime series.
>>
>>2845448
>I think its genuinely terrible. It would've made a better anime series.

Speaking of which, how is that Xenosaga anime? I know I couldn't possibly give any shits about the game, but I wouldn't mind an abridged version if it's decent enough.
>>
>>2845448
>It would've made a better anime series.
But it does have one anon.
>>
>>2843212
Lost Odyssey...not /vr/ however.
>>
>>2845448
bad opinions: the post
>>
Trails in the Sky.
>>
Final Fantasy VIII
>>
>>2845448
>without letting you know the big picture early on.
but anon, letting you in on the big picture early on would be abominably bad storytelling
>>
>>2848548
No, knowing the end game early on isn't bad story telling.

In CT you know the endgame is Lavos from basically the very beginning. Which is odd because Square loves the bait and switch.

>>2846119
>kill yourself
>>
>>2848552
you literally see the fucking end boss in the opening, dude. it's not even subtle, you know. also end game =/= big picture, moving goal posts much.
>>
And let the retarded shit flow.
>>
>>2843569
I started playing through this game again after beating gustave in the army battle, and i just have one question
Does using spell arts like delta petra, needle shot, water hammer etc. reduce the durability of my tools?
Or can i use them over and over as long as I have the SP?
>>
>>2845482
Pretty bad.
>>
live a live and terranigma
>>
How the fuck has nobody said Chrono Trigger?
>>
>>2851201
Because the lore is shallow and the plot is shit?
>>
>>2851206
You're just one of many that things it's "cool" to hate a game that's fun to play. It may not have the lore, but the plot is fine, the music is awesome and the depth the game as is unparalleled for the time.
>>
>>2851317
>You're just one of many that things it's "cool" to hate a game that's fun to play.
Maybe you should stop getting so worked up over what someone thinks about a video game and learn to accept that there are people that have opinions that are different than your own?
>>
>>2851446
Doesn't make for much of a conversation, does it?
>>
>>2851317
I didn't mention anything about the rest of the game. I'm just saying that OP asked for games with a deep story so CT obviously doesn't belong in here.
>>
File: 1280.jpg (512KB, 1280x1443px) Image search: [Google]
1280.jpg
512KB, 1280x1443px
>>2843212
lore doesn't span several centuries but fuck is it deep and positively epic in the non-4chan kind of way to define epic.
>>
File: 36c133fa4b32804f7d6c9be296c40034.png (918KB, 1023x767px) Image search: [Google]
36c133fa4b32804f7d6c9be296c40034.png
918KB, 1023x767px
>>2843875
Depends on what you're looking for.

Combat has some good ideas but is ultimately boring, easy and scarce until you hit the second disc, and even then there's not a lot to fight at all.
Story is really, really pretentious but is also kind of well built and most of the things that happen are tied together well, some moments are really well written and a few of them are actually kinda vaguely interesting from a moral viewpoint. though that doesn't make them less Philosophy 101, still well done though.
OST is 10/10, not Mitsuda's best work but goddamn amazing all the same.
Characters are...nice I guess, though a lot of them stop existing after they're introduced, Rico, Maria and Billy stop being relevant far too early, the main and supporting cast is still pretty well done, certain characters however are quite a bit overdone, Fei and Elly have too much stuff crammed into them that makes them a bit too chuuni and boring and not in the same way Citan does, there are however some really amazing comebacks, Hammer and Joe come to mind.
Graphics are okay.
2nd disc is a shining example of Square's terrible managing decisions.

As a classic, it's worth playing for seeing what all the fuss is about.
As a game it's not worth playing unless you like games extrememly focused on narrative and world building but with very weak actual gameplay.
As a piece of media it's fucking amazing just for the incredible amount of references to classic /m/ shows and HOT BLOOD, sweet mechs and great music, no other Xeno titles had so many references.

All in all, a 7/10.
>>
>>2851840
that's a good and balanced and fair assessment. most people get too extreme/defensive when discussing xenogears. but yeah, i agree with almost everything you said. gj anon.
>>
File: 02.jpg (65KB, 464x725px) Image search: [Google]
02.jpg
65KB, 464x725px
>>2851840
>>2851869
oh yeah, one thing you missed to note is that elly is fucking sex incarnate. i want her to go on a maniacal murder spree on my dick.
>>
>>2843212
Phantasy Star 1-4 taken as a whole.
>>
>>2848556
>Deus
>end boss
>>
>>2851206
Lore? Yeah it's anemic
The plot? Tight, endearing and direct.
>>
>>2851902
more like miang. the end boss is literally staring you in the eye.
>>
>>2843212
well, uh, I guess you might try the Blood omen/Soul Reaver games, but they're not JRPGs
>>
>>2851152
> Live A Live

This.
>>
>>2851152
Both of these suggestions are on point.
>>
File: Planescape-torment-box.jpg (41KB, 404x502px) Image search: [Google]
Planescape-torment-box.jpg
41KB, 404x502px
>>2843212
Try a CRPG !

Planescape: Torment , best deep story in a videogame ever, for me.
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.