[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

This is a great game, but is there any reason to play it anymore

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 3

File: ff2.jpg (44KB, 640x449px) Image search: [Google]
ff2.jpg
44KB, 640x449px
This is a great game, but is there any reason to play it anymore instead of the original? It's got cut features and the difficulty is dumbed down from the Japanese version. With the ease of just being able to play that now is the US FF2 version obsolete?
>>
>it's got cut features
no
>>
>difficulty is dumbed down from the Japanese version

Even the dumbed down version of FFIV is way harder than any FF that came after it. Also there are so many versions of FFIV nowadays it's hard to say which one(s) are worth playing nowadays to begin with.
>>
>is the US FF2 version obsolete?
Quite to opposite. Thanks to its translation (YOU SPOONY BARD!) this version is immortalized.
>>
>>2829454
They've put that line in literally every version since though
>>
FF2US is the perfect introductory JRPG for younger players. Everyone else though is better off playing IV proper.
>>
>>2829469
>FF2US is the perfect introductory JRPG for younger players
You mean SMRPG.
>>
>>2829478
Nah. That one makes folks think they have to time-press the A button for every attack in ever RPG they play thereafter.
>>
>still calling it FF2
It's IV you tards
>>
>>2829457
My point exactly
>>
I have played the original US version at least 5 times, and the DS version at least 3 times.

Both are lots of fun.
>>
>>2829481
You mean you don't have to?
>>
File: madara explains mario 2.jpg (289KB, 1204x1032px) Image search: [Google]
madara explains mario 2.jpg
289KB, 1204x1032px
>>2829489
>>
>>2829530
Ah, I actually didn't know that last part about them thinking westerners wouldn't want a game so similar.
I always heard that it was because we weren't bad enough to beat it.
Thanks, Madonna!
>>
>>2829429

Honestly, due to the removal of the characters' secondary abilities, the beginning of the game is tedious as fuck. Darkwave makes most of the Cecil-centric shit much easier, and Edward/Gilbert is actually kinda useful with his expanded harp/medical abilities.
>>
The J2E version of Final Fantasy IV is the best.
>>
>>2829591

I just finished it a week or so ago. It's not horrible like everyone makes it out to be, but it's pretty obvious those dudes didn't know how to voice 'tough-guy/rude' characters. Cid's not too bad, but Edge and some incidental characters come off really cheesy, and not in the good way.
>>
>>2829489

fuck off weeb
>>
>>2829429
>but is there any reason to play it anymore instead of the original?
No. The fan translation of Jap FF4 preserves all the bad translation funnies, so you can play the non-crippled version and laugh at how shit the dialogue is at the same time.
>>
File: 1287799341283.jpg (60KB, 394x500px) Image search: [Google]
1287799341283.jpg
60KB, 394x500px
>>2829429
>76-page manual

Man I remember reading the shit out of those long-ass manuals back in the day. Good times.

Also I want to _be_ Rydia.
>>
>>2829429
As far as Vanilla FFII US is concerned I'd say no. I hated the J2E translation myself. I'm giving that Namingway Edition a try. At least it's original SNES graphics unlike DS or PSP.
>>
>>2829570

There are two missing things from the beginning that really hurt building the character development later.

1: cecil's dark wave that takes your life. it really underscored something new at the time of being a good character that used questionable (evil) skills as the hero (and the transformation sequence on the mountain where force was not the answer.)

2: the script in baron castle explaining Kain's history
>>
>>2831730

I'm still surprised Kain didn't end up being another Lunarian descendant considering FuSoYa makes a point of saying they tend to be susceptible to mind control.
>>
>>2829429
namingway edition! + enhancent patch
problem solved
>>
>>2833123

FFIV is perfectly playable without any enhancement patches or whatever that is. The only thing you have to really worry about is Rydia's terrible HP. It's almost not worth it to keep her alive in the Zeromus fight. Asura is nice to have, but even then you're gambling with the RNG as two of the three effects are useless (Shell/Protect don't work on any of Zermous' abilities and the Raise/Life spell is probably pointless given she's usually the first to die anyway.)
>>
>>2833185
>It's almost not worth it to keep her alive in the Zeromus fight.
She's not worth it at all unless you decided to grind enough to get Flare. I played through the game without running from most random encounters and didn't even get close to that despite backtracking out of the final dungeon more than halfway through to restock on supplies *twice*.

Edge is also totally worthless in the Zeromus fight and trying to keep him alive puts Cecil and Rosa at risk because your healing is going to be split between them.
>>
>>2833185

ff4 is fine, I think the only issue is the shoddy translation.

iirc, Asura had 2 healing spells and a raise all spell, all of which are almost always useful if the zeromus fight is going against you.

I would keep Rydia alive as much as I could to spam bahamut.
>>
>>2833201

Interestingly Edge ended up being the second to last to die on my Zeromus fight; threw every weapon/item I could; it was down to him and Cecil when Zeromus went into his desperation mode, and then a lucky Meteor strike killed him, leaving Cecil to close it out alone. Hype as fuck.
>>
>>2833232

I forgot to mention, edge can be very useful against zeromus by throwing extra weapons. the spoon/cleaver/etc. does 9999 damage (but you have to wait a turn after zeromus changes)
>>
>>2829496
>and the DS version at least 3 times
Heh, me too. It was 3 times in a row. Shame I don't own it though, I borrowed it at the time, otherwise would've been up to several newgame+.
>>
>>2833185
http://www.romhacking.net/forum/index.php/topic,20582.0.html
>>
>>2834705

Huh. Interesting. I'd like it if I could just get the monster replacements, probably. I happen to like the SNES tileset and portraits. Never liked the pseudo-Amano portraits that appeared later.
>>
>>2829530

This makes me laugh, because somebody shows up to say this in every SMB2 thread, as if this makes the game less good or something.

Anyway, I read something that stated Doki Doki Panic was originally going to be a Mario game anyway.
>>
>>2835835
is not that makes the game less good, the problem is that theres always a fucking idiot that state the obvious, like he just discovered "hot water"
the same shit is in every Robotech thread, theres always and idiot that post the harmony gold story time and time again.
>>
>>2833185
http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/2337/
>>
>>2836518

I think what triggers people so violently about Macek was his brazenness. THE TRUTH MUST BE TOLD and all that.
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.