[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can someone explain to me why everything Nintendo releases via

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 16

File: NES.jpg (170KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
NES.jpg
170KB, 1280x720px
Can someone explain to me why everything Nintendo releases via Virtual Console is so dark and washed out looking?

Really it looks so shitty that I feel like this would be a major complaint about the service from most of the userbase, but I rarely ever see anyone who seems to bring it up.
>>
>>2827073
I think it's cause they're afraid of users getting seizures from all the bright colors

just another way neo-nintendo feels it has to babysit their users
>>
>>2827086
Why is it okay for Mario Maker to use bright colors for NES Mario but not have the actual NES game you can download look the same?

Also, source?
>>
>>2827073
No one cares because no one has a WiiU.
>>
>>2827073
you have to turn up the backlight on your lcd jackass. colors are accurate in vc, you just have turn up backlight and NOT contrast or brightness when using vc.
>>
>>2827090
source is I pulled it straight out of my ass
>>
dude your wii u is in sleep mode obv
>>
What? The games all look fine on my Wii U. Are you using your gamepad's screen? If so, try turning the brightness up. I have Kirny Superstar and it looks fine. (I also didn't experience any input lag like some people claim.)
>>
>>2827116
>>2827101
It happens on 3DS too. Compare a Nintendo VC game to the Game Gear VC. Also being a handheld the 3DS has a limited range of brightness.
>>
>>2827073
ITT: it's okay when Nintendo does it

They fucked up and are too arrogant to fix it.
>>
>>2827073
I've never even heard of this before. Jesus Nintendo wtf are you doing? I only bought a couple N64 games off the regular Wii VC and had no problems.
>>
>>2827139
It's strange--the Wii VC was fucking boss, especially with component cables. The Wii U VC is fucking trash, apparently.
>>
File: RetroArch-1130-235959.png (28KB, 512x480px) Image search: [Google]
RetroArch-1130-235959.png
28KB, 512x480px
>>2827073
Memewhile my higan/RetroArch configuration rules them all...
>>
>>2827209
>filters
gross
>>
>>2827227
that's your opinion, i love it! bye ~
>>
>>2827073
It's a filter that's supposed to make it look like you're playing it on a CRT so Nostalgiafags who played it on a late '60s kitchen TV don't loose their minds.
>>
>>2827232
I like being a complete faggot as well ~
>>
>>2827259
What do you gain out of shitposting like this?
>>
>>2827263
you think the people on this site have anything to do OTHER than shitpost?
>>
Why put time into something most people besides kids won't buy because they already have an nes emulator on their phone?
Virtual console is not something important. They could just stop releasing virtual console and it wouldn't affect most people, because almost everyone owns something that can emulate the consoles on virtual console (sans n64 and ds somewhat)
Hell, the wii u can be hacked to run wii mode emulators and homebrew. Just do that if you want quality emulation.
>>
>>2827280
using an emulator on your phone is too much effort for most 40 year old normies
>>
>>2827293
That too. And there's also moralfags and nintendrones that will go so far as to say there's nothing wrong with the way vc looks. Absolutely disgusting.
>>
>>2827280
Because it's a nice service to provide.

I can buy a SNES and Earthbound for hundreds of dollars, or I can buy it on VC for pocketchange and it plays the same, looks the same (check your settings) and sounds the same.

If anything it gives Nintendo an idea on market demand, it might not happen anytime soon, but releasing Earthbound and Mother on VC, and lots of people buying it, might give Nintendo the idea that Mother 3 could be worth localizing for the west. Just as an example.

>>2827293
That too. Also, if it gives some little kid the chance to play something classic such as A Link To The Past, I think it's worth it, I think it's nice that classics get exposure today.
>>
>>2827073
I'd say the VC looks like shit for reasons other than the desaturation and darkness. Playing the game on an actual CRT with its scanlines would have darkened and desaturated the image to a significant degree so developers tried to compensate for this by making the graphics brighter with more saturated colors. It's the same thing, but to a lesser extent, as how Game Boy Advance games colors/contrast look fucked when playing on an emulator compared when played on the real deal. When you play stuff like NES games on an emulator they're going to look considerably brighter and more saturated than the developers ever thought they would be. Not to mention the overly sharp blockiness of the pixels. Large squarish areas would have been broken up by the scanlines and conspicuous stair step-looking parts would be similarly broken up by the scan lines which functioned similarly to a sort of dithering.
>>
>>2827567
>It's the same thing, but to a lesser extent, as how Game Boy Advance games colors/contrast look fucked when playing on an emulator compared when played on the real deal. When you play stuff like NES games on an emulator they're going to look considerably brighter and more saturated than the developers ever thought they would be. Not to mention the overly sharp blockiness of the pixels

Visual Boy Advance looks pretty much like the games did for me on the real GBA (minus the blue tinge of the SP light), to be honest desu.
I don't think that stuff is nearly as dramatic as people say it is, when I emulate the NES, it looks less blurry and fuzzy then it did in my childhood, but otherwise about the same. Probably because I'm not using a CRT anymore.
>>
>>2827259
You Americans must've had really shtty TVs growing up
>>
>>2827879
Composite was standard in North America.
I don't miss CRT either way.
>>
Wii VC S-Video on a huge Sony CRT is sexy
>>
>>2827073
>watch MLiG videos
>will never buy a framemeister
>will never RGB mod my systems
>will never own a SCART cable
>will never own a PVM
>shamelessly play on emulators only

I think Try's simultaneously nerdy and southern voice just fascinates me so much that I watch video after video.
>>
>>2827950
My Life in Gaming has some good info for the most part but both of their voices bug the shit out of me. "Try4ce" (whose handle makes me cringe) sounds like a weird Revenge of the Nerd character from Arkansas, like you said. And the other guy, whose name I am forgetting, sounds like somebody from those old "Bill Swerski's Superfan" Saturday Night Live sketches. "Try4ce" seems like the more autistic and detail-obsessed of the two, which is useful for the type of videos they do, but I usually agree with the findings of the bald one because he's more of a purist and likes his PVM and all that compared to HDTV+Framemeister and such.
>>
>>2827073
The Wii U uses a limited RGB pallet when under HDMI and when under HDMI some colors will blend in with other colors losing detail hence why it & N64 games are darken.

SNES & GBA games fit said pallet hence why they don't get darken.

As for the blur, most people hate how retro games look on a flat screen display so they blur it.

Seizures have nothing to do with it, I just want homebrew to fix it along side adding in full RGB through HDMI.
>>
>>2827293
But most moble gaming is through emulators due to most moble games being not only shit but also scams as well with very few of them being any good.
>>
>>2828038
It's like early home computing, where was like six unlicensed clones of Pac-Man for the Commodore 64 in your city, and four (very unlicensed) clones of Tetris.

A lot of people don't think about it, but modern mobile phone gaming and Facebook games are quite a lot like Commodore 64 and Apple II computer games, short and simple games that get ripped off a lot. Only, today they have sort of more sophisticated input and more advanced graphics.
>>
>>2827879
>You Americans must've had really shtty TVs growing up
That's what the NTSC implies.
>>
>>2828037
That's kind of a messy statement. Do you mean limited and full RGB as in 16-235 vs 0-255, or limited color palette like 15 or 16 colours? Because there is a difference.
Limited RGB is how the colour range is supposed to be on movies, tv and console games, is the same as in CRTs. Full RGB is only for PC content.
>>
>>2827073
cause, wii u is garbage and nintendo already only cares about nx & new3ds
>>
>>2827879
could be worse, could have had one of those turds russkies got stuck with
>>
>>2828516
Well, theoretically SECAM is superior to both PAL and NTSC. At least in resolution (it's almost like 800p).
>>
File: 1429897799640.gif (2MB, 325x169px) Image search: [Google]
1429897799640.gif
2MB, 325x169px
>>2827209
>vertical scan lines
>>
>>2828145
This astonishes me how many blatant browser clones are out there. do they get away with because they are overseas or do people just not care?
>>
File: giphy (6).gif (902KB, 245x184px) Image search: [Google]
giphy (6).gif
902KB, 245x184px
>>2828748
You should try it's actually gorgeous and less intrusive than your average cgi scanline/crt filters.
>>
>>2827073
Could be because you're used to playing on a famiclone with fucked up dayglow colors. Do you also find the sound to washed out and smooth, lacking in hiss, pop and scratch?
>>
>>2827950
All I ever wanted was a component cable for my Gamecube and a nice PVM monitor.

I can't find either.
>>
>>2827103
Having used Wii VC side by side with a real NES, I can say that the output is darker. Jackass.
>>
Meanwhile, open source shaders made by the community look better than anything, even original hardware on a professional video monitor.
>>
File: shitpost.jpg (35KB, 487x375px) Image search: [Google]
shitpost.jpg
35KB, 487x375px
>>2827263
>>
>>2828024
that's why you watch Phonedork instead
>>
>>2827073
Holy shit. I have never seen anyone acknowledge this problem. It looks fucking awful to me and even when someone is streaming a game you can immediately tell if it's on virtual console.
>>
File: 1446259469938.gif (535KB, 640x636px) Image search: [Google]
1446259469938.gif
535KB, 640x636px
>>2830030
where is the lie
>>
>>2827950
If you close your eyes while listening to Try4ce it sounds like Tom Hanks narrating an educational program for kids.
>>
>>2830106
Why would anyone stream a VC? Top KeK and Ew.
>>
>>2829196
All filters are idiotic. Anyone who likes scanlines in any way is 100% retard.
>>
>>2830431
>>
>>2830459
I'm dead serious. Scanlines are were a bad side effect of CRT technology. If someone wants to still play on a CRT for nostalgia or whatever then that's one thing. But putting scanlines into a game with filters is absolutely idiotic and makes every single game look far worse.
>>
>>2830486
>>
>>2830548
Except I'm right. Despite what CRT fans around here like to say, scanlines are absolutely not how classic games are supposed to look. That's why any time Nintendo shows their old games, they look like this. They don't add scanline filters and they don't take photos of them running on CRTs.

If you want to play your games on outdated hardware, there's nothing wrong with that. But don't think for a minutes that's how the games are "intended" to look.
>>
File: say_no_to_blur.png (373KB, 549x1192px) Image search: [Google]
say_no_to_blur.png
373KB, 549x1192px
>>2830567
Big clear scanlines are literally a side effect of the hack used to display 240p on a 480i CRT. Native progressive scan CRTs have very minor scanlines if they're visible at all.
>>
>>2830567
>>2830486
>>2830431

this is what i thought before i actually saw the difference myself. You lack research and knowledge and are spouting anecdotal and emotional arguments. After spending some more time with the hobby you'll get a better understanding
>>
File: 1447132277761.jpg (256KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1447132277761.jpg
256KB, 500x500px
>>2830567
inane.
>>
>>2830580
I've been into the hobby since Atari days. Every single game looks better on a modern display than any CRT ever made and there isn't a single example of scanlines being a good thing, ever.

You are of course free to have your own opinion, but mine is in line with the vast majority of game developers.
>>
>>2830594
>Every single game looks better on a modern display than any CRT ever made
The vast majority of LCDs look like shit because of sample and hold blur. This can be fixed with strobing backlight (with latency penalty), scanning backlight (not actually available in gaming speed monitors), or emulation plus BFI (lower latency but noticeably worse motion quality than strobing). The absolute best option is 480p or higher resolution CRT (either with emulation or real hardware + line doubler), which gives you perfect motion quality and latency with no ugly scanlines.
>>
>>2830594
>>
>>2830608
That's why I used the words modern display. Shit quality LCDs from 2005 are always going to be shit, but modern high end ones are very good.
>>
>>2830618
Some modern gaming-specific high end LCDs are good. But if you say "high end modern LCD" with no further qualification people will assume you mean garbage like 4K LCDs (all of which are worse than the shittiest CRTs).
>>
>>2830621
which is not true. you both are equally trolling. both crt shills and no scanline shills are annoying. shut up
>>
>>2830631
All 4K LCDs are low framerate high persistence, no exceptions.
>>
File: averagewiiuvcgame.gif (700KB, 568x320px) Image search: [Google]
averagewiiuvcgame.gif
700KB, 568x320px
>>2827073
Somewhere they severely fucked up with the WiiU VC, like that picture you can compare the video output, gameplay and performance of the WiI VC, anniversary edition and WiiU VC of Kirby.
Most WiIU VC games suffer from being washed out and dark along with having input lag and increased slowdowns in varying degrees.
Thanks to the famicom 30 cent deals I know to stay far away from the WiiU VC for NES and SNES
>>
>>2830637
The sad part is troll videos like that are taken seriously.
>>
>>2830654
No the sad part is this is how the WiiU VC is, even if it's just the gamepad that's pretty horrible.
>>
I hate Wii Virtual Console in general. I just recently bought Super Mario World and the controls of literally so bad that I can't even play the game. I had to buy a classic controller because for some odd reason Y was jump and B was run on the GameCube controller. I know that doesn't sound that bad but once you actually start to play it's really really annoying
>>
>>2830658
That picture shows nothing. Please take your shit back to /v/.

And no before you go on autistic fit about how I'm supporting the VC, I'm not. Your pic shows nothing but a retard with a potato for a camera.
>>
>>2830663
>shows nothing
>shows clear input lag or gamepad video lag
Honestly this isn't something to fight about it's a clear fact that the WiiU virtual console has issues, why would you fight it?
>>
>>2830672
It’s not worth arguing with you. You don’t have a clue. The amount of effort needed to retort that bullshit pic isn’t worth it.
Maybe at least start with a somewhat acceptable set up.

Have a nice day. And again, please stick to /v.
>>
File: what the fuck is logic.jpg (172KB, 756x640px) Image search: [Google]
what the fuck is logic.jpg
172KB, 756x640px
>>2830676
>Have a nice day. And again, please stick to /v.
Here I think you need this
>>
>>2830680
I suggest google.
>>
>>2827086
>I think it's cause they're afraid of users getting seizures from all the bright colors
No. If that were true, Nintendo wouldn't have edited the several ROMs for titles like Zelda II to reduce or remove seizure inducing flashes. Which BTW if you think I'm mistaken, there are a number of threads with nerds comparing the checksum values against older rips vs the rom images ripped strait from Nintendo's Wii virtual console releases.
Thread posts: 76
Thread images: 16

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.