[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is there any good reason as to why people want consoles modded

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 3

File: RCA'd.jpg (42KB, 600x429px) Image search: [Google]
RCA'd.jpg
42KB, 600x429px
Is there any good reason as to why people want consoles modded to have composite RCA inputs on systems that can output in RGB?
Even the shittiest scalers and converters hooked up with RGB look better than composite.
And if it's a thing about playing it on CRTs then why not just use the proprietary cables? Are people worried they'll stop being made?
>>
>>2817564
>modded to have composite RCA inputs

what
>>
File: 20150403_113504.jpg (3MB, 4128x2322px) Image search: [Google]
20150403_113504.jpg
3MB, 4128x2322px
>>2817564
hi, i mod sega genesis systems all the time. i've probably done 20 of them by now.

in the states, most people don't know about rgb. shocking, right?

when the guy my age wants to relive his childhood games he'll typically go to ebay to find one. seeing one with direct av out will always win.

plus, the genesis doesn't do s-video stock. for those without rgb input capable tvs (like, you know, everyone in the states) it's a huge boost in quality.
>>
Certain people like to perform cheap simple mods to feel like hobbyists. It IS simpler to just use generic cables than to fuck around with the proprietary ones.

Honestly, despite the fact that I have an RGB monitor I've procrastinated about getting RGB SCART cables for fear of getting low quality ones that I'll need to mod after spending ~$20 plus worry about the scart to bnc adapter. I should just buy some 6RCA sets and mod the consoles directly.
>>
>>2817573
Who the fuck doesn't have RGB in the United States?
>>
>>2817578

wookieewin on ebay sells high quality scart to BNC cables

retro_console_accessories on ebay sells quality SCART cables for like $18-25

Console5.com sells generic ones for like $13-15 which in my experience at least work fine.

If you already have an RGB monitor you might as well just spend the money on the cables for it.
>>
>>2817583
our televisions never had RGB input, other than professional monitors.
we have component video instead, which isn't supported on retro consoles, starting with the ps2 and xbox.

how is this not known to someone who visits this board?
>>
>Playing Megadrive with an RGB
Literally wrong.
>>
>>2817583
RGB was literally non-existent in the USA
>>
>>2817573
Could you mod mine and if so how much?
>>
>>2817658
>Giving a shit
Literally pointless
>>
>>2817673
twenty bucks if you pay shipping both ways. i wouldn't get to it until after the holidays though.

i have a small window a week into december but i planned that time to mod my duo r.

you know, the whole married with a kids life.
>>
>>2817658
>with an RGB
>being this tech-illiterate

Literally >>>/v/.
>>
>>2817679
I'm autistic enough to give a shit to be honest.
>>2817685
>tech-iliterate
More like too retarded to better phrase it in english, you know what I was talking about. The dithering looks like shit.
>>
>>2817564
I live in Canada so we use USA televisions. We had that two prong coax thing, then RF connector, then composite and sometimes S-Video, then component, then HDMI. I've never seen a television with RGB connectors. Is component comparable? Is is even possible to mod in component cables on retro consoles or worth it? I do have a tube TV with component inputs, or an "EDTV" capable of 480p instead of just 480i.
>>
>>2817696

It's not directly comparable really but most people have shitty TVs and just getting a consumer Tritintron would make games look great with s-video, component or composite depending on the system.
>>
>>2817696
>>2817707

Also, just for clarification, most video out modding is done just for compatibility sake and you should approach it on a case by case basis. For example you can just plug a S-Video cable into a 1CHIP SNES and get great picture quality whereas you'd need to mod a SNES Mini

You should check RetroRGB for longer explanations and model comparisons
>>
>>2817693
>Playing Megadrive with an RGB
>Literally wrong.
>The dithering looks like shit.
Sharp image with dithering >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Dot Crawl and rainbow banding
>>
I absolutely hate proprietary cables. They eventually become expensive and hard to find, and their quality is all over the place. I would much rather mod in RCA ports and use high quality standard cables than the original ones.
>>
Would going from composite video to S-Video on an SNES/Trinitron be a noticeable improvement?
>>
>>2817737
>rainbow banding
well meme'd
>>
>>2817745
What meme? It's clearly visible with composite cables. I don't miss it at all after using s-video.
>>
>>2817740
>he doesn't have a hoard of backup OEM cables
>>
>>2817696
Component is very close but technically inferior to RGB. RGB is like a raw video signal it has everything uncompressed basically. Component is uses encoded video signals, the video is encoded and sent over component then decoded by the device. The encoding saves bandwidth which is useful for higher resolutions or higher framerates.
>>
>>2817741
absolutely, avoid cheap cables though.

often times the shitty chinese/etc cables literally send the composite video signal down both luma and chroma lines of svideo.

original is the safest way but often expensive for that 'nintendo' name, ya know?
>>
>>2817751
Never noticed anything like that in my Italian Model 1 m8. Tried again 5 minutes ago especifically looking for it and still didn't. Either you're exagerating or I'm blind.
>>
>>2817772
It's different depending on the graphics chip. I grew up with a model 3, but it's also on some model 2s. If you have Sonic 1 go to one of the waterfalls. That's the most obvious spot. Or try a game with white text on a black background.
>>
>>2817763

My understanding of the "compression" of Y Pb Pr is that it allows you to get away with only one high-speed/high-resolution signal path for Luma+Sync, and you can get away with cheaper op amps and components for the other two because human vision has much lower chroma resolution than luma.

YPbPr closely mimics the backwards-compatible format of old RF signals, where it was important to still work with black-and-white TVs since the USA had a large install base even as far back as ~1945.

RGB closely corresponds to the actual electron guns in a color set. It does not compress for broadcast as well as YPbPr, making it more suitable for direct connections such as VCRs and game consoles.

My theory is that US was sort of hamstrung by getting started too early, and the FCC would not allow broadcasters to break backwards compatibility. Other nations didn't see significant market penetration until color tv was already common, allowing them to set up standards with that in mind.
>>
>>2817776
>go to one of the waterfalls
That's exactly what I did. Didn't see any weird colours. I'll give you the dot crawl part tho but that doesn't annoy me, I would rather have good looking dithering.
>>
>>2817583
150% of the casual market. When I was growing up everyone I knew who was really into gaming had multi system TVs and arcade monitors. I thought it was normal. It wasn't until years later that I discovered faggots used RF because that was the only thing their console and blue light special TV could connect with.
If you're working how the percentage can be >100% it's because those extra 50% don't even know they're casuals.
>>
>>2817776

iirc something like 1 in 40 model 2s are the "good" ones.
>>
>>2817772
>in my Italian Model 1 m8

Please stop being such a disgrace to us. >>2817751 and >>2817776 don't really know what they're talking about but stop, just stop acting like a general pain. The real reason PAL mega drives don't do the banding is because PAL is a way more reliable signal than NTSC, if it were a way to actually get color from composite using a PAL MD at 60hz you'd notice the rainbow banding right away.

As for the RGB/Composite debate, it's just opinions at the end of the day. Many games look good with RGB and some weren't even meant to use the composite interpolation. True, some tricks can't be pulled off on RGB, but you're given arcade-like clarity, and that's a good thing.
>>
>>2817601
>>2817670
K, if you say so.
>>
>>2817601
>we have component video instead, which isn't supported on retro consoles
It is if you use a converter.
>>
>>2817673
I'd be interested afterwards like in January, is there a way I can contact you via email/PayPal?
>>
>>2818061
Prove me wrong then Mr. I-know-everything
>>
>>2818409
Meant for
>>2817683
>>
I have a Trinitron and would like to know what would be the best video hookup for my PC Engine Duo? My Trinitron can do either the component or S-video.
>>
>>2817740
Splitting hairs. You have aspergers.
>>
>>2818459
Tell that to the people who want gamecube component cables.
>>
>>2818480
Nothing's stopping you from modding your gamecube to put the electronics from the "cable" inside and drill a few holes in the case for RCA.
I actually agreed with the original statement about proprietary cables being a bad idea but you did confirm you have assburgers with that last post.
>>
>>2818630
Not the guy you're talking to, but it's fairly obvious you don't know your shit.
>>
>>2818480
Ok, now tell me what console has super rare and expensive composite cables
>>
>>2818630
>but you did confirm you have assburgers with that last post.
What, how? Because I ignored it? How childish must you be?

>>2818647
The TurboGrafx-16, for one. Everything else is $5-10 online, but standard cables are literally given away.
S-video cables are worse. The cheap ones have checkerboard patterns. A built-in port won't.

Why super rare? I could walk into any local store and find a standard cable instead of relying on secondhand stock and reproductions.
>>
>>2817772
If you ever get a 60Hz mod on your Mega Drive (which is a thing you want) you need RGB Scart because otherwise you'll get black and white picture when you switch to 60Hz. So there's that. Another reason why you'd want RGB Scart is because it's a lot clearer than Composite and you can get Stereo sound on a Model 1 Mega Drive from the TV. The only thing you're missing out on is those fake transparency effects like in Sonic 1 with the waterfalls.

Here's a comparison video between RGB Scart and composhit (it's in German, you might want to turn the sound off)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkVs4PKYzRU

I think RGB looks way better. None of that fuzzy shit. This is on a PAL console by the way, just like yours.
>>
>>2818642
Many things are obvious to ignorant children. If it's obvious to you that it would be impossible to put the CMPV-DOL chip inside a GC and drill a few holes in the case for RCA you now now the reason.

>>2818675
>i ignored a post by making it
Drunk? Underage? Samefag?

Composite cables for the TG cost the same as ones for a VCR. They're the same thing. The cost you might be imagining is for the turbobooster. That's the official adapter that converts from the exp connector to RCA. It is expensive. Third party alternatives not.
>>
>>2818812
>>2818675
You're better off getting the TurboCD, it gives you composite out via standard RCA jacks + it lets you play TurboCD games

It has internal saving too!
>>
>>2817683
Bump for
>>2818409
>>
>>2818409
>>2819543
itsthatguyonvr at gmail
>>
>>2819576
Thanks. I'll be sending you an email soon.
>>
>>2817564
>Is there any good reason as to why people want consoles modded to have composite RCA inputs on systems that can output in RGB?
Because they don't have a display capable of pulling RGB maybe?
>>
>>2818450
For the Duo without modification you're stuck with composite.

However you can have either an RGB amp or have an RGB to component board installed. Both cost about the same.
Thread posts: 52
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.