[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So I've beaten this game for the 3rd time this year, and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: FFV-Android-cover.jpg (215KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
FFV-Android-cover.jpg
215KB, 900x900px
So I've beaten this game for the 3rd time this year, and I'm suffering post-RPG depression. Do you guys know of more SNES RPGs with a focus on complex gameplay rather than long cutscenes? I'd appreciate any recommendations.
>>
>>2808968
You raise a steep bar, anon, considering how FFV has one of the best RPG systems of all time period. But try the Romancing SaGa games.
>>
>>2808968
>FFV
>deep gameplay

Kek
>>
>>2808971
upreddited :)
>>
>>2808974
Thanks!
>>
>>2808968
FF6 has both, if you explore the battle system.
>>
>>2808992
Yah, I've played all 3 SNES FFs several times. I feel drawn towards stuff like Tales of Phantasia or Star Ocean, but they seem to put more emphasis on story and the combat system appears somewhat convoluted.
>>
>>2808968
Saying that FFV system is complex is a bit of a stretch, but try:

Romancing SaGa 3
Metal Max Returns
Dark Law

These three are solid RPGs with deep mechanics and quite a lot of content with minimal if almost nonexistent cutscene content and lots of raw gameplay, they do require some dedication to master the mechanics though.
I'd also reccomend Romancing SaGa 2 and Bounty Sword but I don't know whether you know enough Moons to play through those.
>>
I recall reading about a Snes RPG that featured a job system similar to 5, it had a weird twist though. The game was based around a school and you chose what members studied which classes, and that determined their battle prowess.

I'd meant to play it if I stumbled upon it again but I'm afraid I don't remember the title, I'm sure somebody knows what it is though.
>>
>>2809032
Houran High School.
>>
The Romancing Saga games. Also, try the other FFs with a job system. Valkyrie Profile isn't necessarily complex but the gameplay is damn fun and the story is rather minimalist. It's more of a 2D dungeon crawler than anything else. Can't think of anything else that isn't retro.
>>
>>2809032
Adventures of Hourai High.

It's not nearly as complex as FFV though, school clubs have little synergy and the abilities are mostly not very interesting (hit thing harder, get passive stat bonus, cure a status effect). Not to mention that the game has an utterly ridiculous encounter rate and shitty balance - if you're going to play it, I recommend running from most encounters to avoid becoming completely invincible halfway through the game. It is however, a very funny, charming game with an unique high school anime atmosphere, and it has lots of exploration and optional stuff that creates a decent illusion of non-linearity. Worth playing for that alone.
>>
>>2809005
I love both story and battle system of those games.
I'm a big Tales fan but the first two SO were better than Phantasia imo.

I trust you've played Chrono Trigger too? My favorite ATB game with FF6.
>>
>>2808968
you might get a kick out of Class of Heroes on the psp. not retro but i don't really give a shit.

sneswise, try robotrek. or grab an emulator and try the shin megami tensei games
>>
>>2808968
>SNES RPGs with a focus on complex gameplay

try ogre battle
>>
>>2811728
oooh, and romancing saga 3, 2 if you don't mind playing it in japanese
>>
>>2809005
Have you tried a no magic run, OP? it's still piss easy once you get to WoR, but it's just as fun when you only have Celes and Terra casting magic. Strago and Gau become more relevant too.
>>
Not retro, but what you want is the Xenosaga games, OP. They're perfect for you.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.