[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So, why do people hate repo labels again? Is it a crime to want

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 5

File: maxresdefault.jpg (332KB, 1600x1315px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
332KB, 1600x1315px
So, why do people hate repo labels again? Is it a crime to want to restore my games to a pristine condition? Because everyone acts like it is.
>>
Because some associate them with active scammers, or with non-scammers who unintentionally enable scammers (you put on the repro label, sell it to someone, they turn around and sell it as legit). Putting REPRO LABEL on the label helps with that.

I personally don't really see the point. I think aged labels have charm, and there's the fact that they are legit labels that have been on the cart since day one and not just repros. I don't care if others use them, though, so long as they aren't trying to trick people.
>>
My wife lo... oh nevermind.
>>
As the above anon said, I think it's more a matter of people trying to pass them off as legitmate/original labels than anything.
Alternatively, some people being more concerned with how a game looks than playing the game itself.

I've thought about getting a reprop label of one or two games, but I'd do a shell swap with a sports game or something so as to keep the original label too.
>>
>>2802601
I just see it the same way as buying a rusted out, classic car: you want to keep it alive and restore it to its former condition, so you clean the cart, clean the insides, and fix any damage.
>>
>>2802624

...while keeping in mind that everything single piece restored takes away from the original value.
>>
>>2802626
Barrett Jackson would like to have a word with you.
>>
>>2802593
>Is it a crime to want to restore my games to a pristine condition?
Technically speaking, it's a crime for someone to sell you repro labels because it infringes on the copyright. However I'm not sure what the laws are regarding printing one or two off at home for yourself, though.
>>
Why not just emulate if you don't care about the original thing
>>
>>2802667
If you're not distributing or trying to otherwise make money off of it, people couldn't really give less of a shit.

They give a shit when you're profiting on their stuff.

I mean, some companies will CnD to protect their IP (like the Chrono Trigger remake)

We're talking about making some fucking labels for carts here. Capcoms not going to come breaking down your door over that.
>>
>>2802824
still illegal, brah
specially the sick fucks selling them full priced on ebay
>>
>>2802624
The classic car market expects a restoration. The collectible cartridge market does not expect restoration.
>>
>>2802824
>If you're not distributing or trying to otherwise make money off of it
Crimes are still crimes regardless of whether someone gives a shit.
>>
>>2803013
Legality =/= morality
>>
>>2802807
>owns the console and game

>doesn't care about the "original thing"

Yeah ok
>>
>>2802624
Look at it like buying an antique table and then stripping off the original finish which is what gave it a lot of it's value in the first place. Video games are collector's items and some collectors are interested in the original look as opposed to the pristine look.
>>
>>2803081
And some aren't. Don't get upset just because I don't like water stains on my table.
>>
>>2803083
I'm not upset at all. I don't care either way I don't collect at all, ditched all my hardware years ago. Just explaining to you why some people feel that way.
>>
>>2803090
I know why, it's the same reason you'd get your head ripped off for opening an old mint toy.

The impression I'm getting is finding an old busted toy, fixing it, and having a collector berate you for removing any value it had left. Even though you just wanted to play with it and not have to look at a piece of shit as you do so.
>>
Would you print a new cover for a classic comic book, tear off the original, and expect it to be worth ANYTHING to a collector?

There is your answer.

Collectors.
>>
>>2803142
>tear off the original cover

You mean replace the mostly-torn-off ratty cover that the original owner would fold in half to stuff in his back pocket.

>Giving a shit about how other people value your collection

Fukken collectors.
>>
>>2802593
It's shady. At least put "reproduction label" in clear outlined letters somewhere on the label that's visible. INB4 "it doesn't look as good that way", no it doesn't, buy a real label in good condition if you want it to look that way. Bottom line, if you buy real looking reproduction labels and put it on a game cartridge, then you're a cunt. It doesn't matter if you keep that game until you die, you're still a cunt.
>>
>>2803142
If the thing was mangled, it wouldn't be worth a whole lot to begin with. We're not talking entombed collectors shit here. We're talking labels that are so far gone you can't identify the cart without plugging it in.

The far more widespread problem are reproduction labels for rare games that get slapped on reproduction carts and then people try to pass them off as legit.
>>
>>2803164
>if you buy real looking reproduction labels and put it on a game cartridge
>and then sell it to someone else to mistake it as mint and jack up the price
>then you're a cunt.
ftfy

>>2803178
also this
>>
>>2803156
>>2803178

We're all correct here. And yes, collectors are what's fucking everything up. The comic metaphor just paints a clearer picture.
>>
>>2803142
>/co/llecting autism
Most people who buy cartridges play them, they don't buy them to put in a vault.

Comic book collecting had all kinds of dumb shit going for it, like the Prospecting Bubble.

The game is still in there, pristine, except for save batteries that can expire. Are you gonna argue that replacing a dry save battery to restore normal function to a game ruins it too?
>>
>>2802624
but that's not a car faggot
>>
>>2803095
>I know why
Then why the fuck are you posting? The thread asks
>So, why do people hate repo labels again?

And you're getting quite butthurt about an answer to the question
>>
Repro labels are _awesome_ OP, and fuck any faggot in this thread who says otherwise with a pair of sharpened chopsticks (I'm especially talking about you, >>2802667, >>2802825, and >>2803013).
>>
>>2803629

that's all fine and dandy, but condition determines the price, you faggot.
>>
>>2802593
>Is it a crime
Yes. It literally is in every civilized country. It might be legal in North Korea depending on how the kings morning turd splashes.
>>
>>2803942

I swear it's like people don't even know what all the fine print means anymore. Half the reason the manufacturers put a label on it in the first place is to brand it, place copyright signs on it and remind you that it's their property.
>>
>>2803632
>projecting this hard

I know why people hate repro labels. And I think that reason is bullshit.

Chill out and follow the thread better, damn.
>>
I wish more people would start making and selling repro labels... exact copies of the original, without any markings to indicate that its a reproduction. Mainly to piss of the "collectors" who give more a damn about how their game looks than if its actually any fun to play.
>>
>>2803882
Yeah, and a lot of people aren't interested in collecting or collectors prices.

There's no reason for them to not restore a cartridge by replacing a ruined label.
>>
>>2804284

then make up your fucking minds... does the game matter or does the look of the cart matter... weren't you just saying you only wanna play the game... what's the point of pretending to have a minty cart when you don't? you're stretching hard to justify jack shit here...
>>
>>2804317
Because it'll look nice.
>>
>>2804349

Only collectors care about how shit looks. So go fuck yourself and eat your own words.
>>
>>2802593
Is it your game?
Yes?
Then do whatever the fuck you want with it. If someone tries to sell it off like it's brand new, the buyer could notice and bitch about it.
So like, don't be a crummy seller and mention it's a replacement label.
>>
>>2803081
And the table is worth several hundred dollars, maybe a thousand, while this Wizard's & Warriors NES cartridge with the moldy label half torn and a dick drawn on Fabio's face with a sharpie is like 10 dollars.

You remind me of that kind of sperg on /k/ who starts hyperventilating after someone refurbished his ratty ass 91/30 Nagant.

We're not typically talking about Little Samson here, most games don't have extraordinary market value and there's enough of them out in the world that they'll never be hard to find.

Why not restore something damaged so it looks nice again when it has no significant value beyond what the item is by itself?
>>
File: 1426743827465.jpg (118KB, 807x1023px) Image search: [Google]
1426743827465.jpg
118KB, 807x1023px
>>2804356
>Only collectors care about how shit looks.
Not correct. I collect for nostalgia sake but im not going to buy some busted up piece of shit with "DEVON" scrawled across the front. Normally the restoration of any collectible must be done by a seasoned professional for the item to actually not GO DOWN in value but reapplying a worn out label with an identical one? Only an issue for the most autistic of fucks.
>>
>>2804356
Thats not true.

"Collector" is this really blanket term, not everyone is a fucking horder, or a guy who only goes after "CIB Pristine condition" games. Its a spectrum, but unlike Gender being a spectrum, its a real thing.

Taking care of and pride in your possessions doesn't make you scum of the earth. Making your stuff look nice is just a factor in that.

Do you leave stickers on all your shit? I sure as shit don't. I took a saturday and just sat down and got all the fucking stickers off of my games. I had a big ass plastic tub, a spray bottle of goo-gone and just spent the majority of the day getting stickers off of everything.

Do you get blown the fuck out when someone replaces a save battery in a cart, and replaces it with a battery holder so that in the future its easier to replace?

Do you get really mad when people have doubles because it was cheap and they can flip the game for some profit or trade it for something they want?

If you get UGC for your games are you some kind of asshole?

That doesn't make me a shitty person, that just means you're doing what you can to get games you like, and keep them in nice working condition and making them not look some kid rubbed shit on it.
>>
>>2804386

>closet collector
>>
File: 1389717707480.png (88KB, 5000x5000px) Image search: [Google]
1389717707480.png
88KB, 5000x5000px
>>2804386
>>2804386
>but unlike Gender being a spectrum, its a real thing.
Feeling a bit cheeky today lad?
>>
>>2804394
>lad
Don't you mean xad?
>>
The fact that there's people from other countries that will never know me getting mad because I'm letting then know I'm privately printing labels for my videogames with busted up original labels is hilarious to me.
>>
>>2804705
I said it earlier itt, just do whatever man.

Theres nothing wrong with reproduction labels. I've bought a few from a friend for some of my games that had labels beyond unreadable, or no label at all.

People just get mad.
>>
>>2804386

not him, but

Battery holders tend to make a worse connection as compared with soldering and as a result you are more likely to lose your save.

I wouldn't trust someone else's shitty bodged battery holder, so I would have to factor in the time and effort I'm going to spend undoing that in the price of my bid.

Of course, this only matters if you're selling it, and the first thing I do upon receiving any cart is to replace the save battery anyways so it doesn't actually make a big difference to me.
>>
>>2804705

no it's not... you're actually insecure about it which is why you needed this thread to validate your actions... but go on role playing for the internet...
>>
I guess I shouldn't mention how I replaced a ratty, torn Earthbound label with a repro label... :D
>>
>>2804705
You can laugh while fucking a dead rat in any country you want. It sill doesn't make it a good thing to do kid.
>>
>>2802824
>people couldn't really give less of a shit.

Bull fucking horse shit. I've printed my own replacement labels and had people using circular logic.

"what if you sell it?" "I won't." "but what if you do?" "I won't." "what if you decide to sell it?" "I won't." "But what if you do?" "I won't". These paranoid shits whine and cry if you don't deface the label with an ugly "REPRODUCTION"
>>
>>2804881
>>2805051
Look at these internet toughguys being angry about videogames.
>>
>>2805054

may as well print some counterfeit money to frame on your wall while your at it... 'cause you're not trying to deceive anyone, just create a false illusion of owning something you don't... if they were stolen they could get put into circulation etc.. and YOU were the one that created a counterfeit. "circular logic" makes more fucking sense than your lack of logic.
>>
>>2803156
Idiotic post of the century. Perpetrated by a huge, idiot.
>>
>>2804241
Your lashing out based on jealousy, anon. Tsk. Tsk.
>>
>>2804241
I thought it was about authenticity, not ass-dead-dicks.
>>
>>2805478
Is my propensity for restoring games hurting you, Anon? Would you like to cry?
>>
>>2805481
Why are you mad, though? It's the truth.

>Fukken collectors

Oh.
>>
>>2805515

no, but you sure seem butt-hurt from that dose of obvious logic.
>>
File: Mook.jpg (176KB, 1679x939px) Image search: [Google]
Mook.jpg
176KB, 1679x939px
>>2805519
Oblivious logic? Got it. Here's the fact sof teh situation.

I own games. Soemtiems they're in bad shape. I scan the labels. I clean them up in my legal copy of Photoshop. I print new copies and use my die cutter to get the edges rounded properly.

Do I sell these? No. I'll sell an Earth Bound or a Final Fantasy 2 repro. But my private collection is mine. And there's literally no difference between one "Repro" and another. in the end, they're all bootlegs.
>>
>>2805543

but you have a bad case of OCD regardless. that is way too much effort put into improving how your 2nd hand carts look. scanning and retouching? i thought you said it was about PLAYING THE GAMES... you are a collector... just a cheap-ass thrifty one that doesn't wanna pay what shit is actually worth. accept this fact. you act like you don't care when you do.
>>
File: 72DPI Cart Preview.jpg (234KB, 600x667px) Image search: [Google]
72DPI Cart Preview.jpg
234KB, 600x667px
>>2805554
At no point whatsoever, did I say anything about playing the games. You must have me confused wit some other anonymous.

This is a classic form of the paranoia that seems to cause people like you actual physical pain when I restore my own property. It's such a nice bonus.

Also a label costs almost $2 to print on good paper and cut. On a cartridge like Wheel of Fortune. Sure, I'm a "cheap-ass thrifty one that doesn't wanna pay what shit is actually worth". Let's just accept that bald-faced lie and move along.
>>
>>2805571

>talking about how thrifty repro labels are
>refusing to accept he's a thrifty collector

all in the same post.
>>
ITT:
>OP asks a question
>gets valid answers
>gets mad for not hearing what he wants to hear and shitposts ad nauseam
>>
>>2805603
You're missing the point, shatttershine.

On a $3 game, putting a $2 label on it doesn't save you jack fucking shit.

The ONLY reason to do so is to restore the torn label.
>>
Just an FYI, this entire thread sucks and you're all fucking terrible people for continuing to post in it.
>>
>>2805679

no. the only reason to do it is to satisfy the OCD itching in your brain.

you mentioning prices when not even questioned is your thriftiness being worn on your sleeve.
>>
>>2805478
What, so anon should take responsibility and think about if someone stole his personal property and deceptively sold it to someone else?

How would the burden lie on anyone but the thief? Are you seriously this paranoid about collecting?

I'll put all the fucking counterfeits I want on my wall you cocksucking fascist!
>>
>>2805554
>just a cheap-ass thrifty one that doesn't wanna pay what shit is actually worth
How is this an issue? Why does it bother you?
>>
>>2806382
Why do you post if you don't want people to comment on it?
Thread posts: 71
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.