[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

recommend me a game like DQ2. I want a game with some non linearity

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 3

recommend me a game like DQ2. I want a game with some non linearity in it but still with some clues. I also don't mind grinding a little bit. Also I want a game where if you wander the wrong way you get your ass handed to you by overpowered monsters. I heard every DQ from 3 on are linear and I have played 1 through 3 already. Would it be a good idea to try a wizardy or ultima game?
>>
OP here I think DQ2 is my ideal game. Enough challenge and non linearity but still manageable , played it on NES 3 years ago. Ive tried FF4 and FF6 and I think they are shit
>>
Ultima sound like a good next step for you. I guess the games are more about exploring than fighting though so keep that in mind. Not sure Ultima is the series I am thinking of but if it is then leveling up actually end up hurting you in the long run as there is very little point in it.
>>
Wizardry is pure dungeon crawling. Ultima doesn't have much in the way of overwhelming enemies in the overworld.
Might and Magic might fit.
>>
>>2802585
>some non linearity in it but still with some clues.
>Also I want a game where if you wander the wrong way you get your ass handed to you by overpowered monsters.
Played FF2 yet?
>>
Phantasy Star 1&2
>>
>>2802589
>Ive tried FF4 and FF6 and I think they are shit
Are you sure you like RPGs...?
>>
>>2802795

I never have historically but I am trying to get into them. Don't care much for the cutscenes, easy combat, and lack of exploration which is why 4 and 6 bored me.
>>
>>2802803

JRPGs all tend to be like that except the very early ones.

I'll be honest OP, if you want a really challenging RPG with lots of exploration then I totally recommend a little game called Miracle Warriors. This game fucking broke me. It's not my cup of tea at all, but it might be right up your ally.

If you decide to play it, then good luck. You'll need it.
>>
>>2802775
1 is certainly amazingly open in the late game. 2 is much less so outside of giving you the choice of what order to do the dams and Deozolis dungeons in.
>>
>>2802803
Metal Max Returns and Romancing SaGa 3/SaGa Frontier might be just what you need son, there are also other neat games that are focused on exploration and combat rather than boring storylines and cutscenes but you need to know moonrunes to play them.
>>
>>2802725
This is what I was going to recommend.
>>
File: 1435782124901.gif (813KB, 303x303px) Image search: [Google]
1435782124901.gif
813KB, 303x303px
>>2802816
Not OP but that's the first time I've heard of this game and it looks pretty keen, thanks for the suggestion.
>>
>>2802585
>I heard every DQ from 3 on are linear

they felt just as linear/non-linear as 1-3 to me.
if you've played 1-3 and liked them, you're really doing yourself a great disservice by not continuing with the series.
>>
>>2803651

Especially the "Zenithian Trilogy" of IV, V, and VI. Really liked how they focused on telling a more mature or compelling story with each of those.
>>
>>2802651
OP, definitely check out Might & Magic series. I I'd recommend 4-6 the most. 4-5 can be played together in a combined world. 6 is quite different, but also awesome.
>>
>>2802803

Dark Souls, then. (yes it's not retro)
>>
DQ1 = decent for its time
DQ2 = pig disgusting
DQ3 = based as fuck
DQ4 = kind of subpar
DQ5 = breddy good
DQ6 = mediocre
DQ7 = BEST GAME
DQ8 = literal regression that people only like because of Jessica and muh Level 5 grafx
>>
>>2807512
>DQ1 = decent for its time
1986? Only if you limit yourself to the FC. Otherwise it's a simple grindfest with password save.
>>
>>2802585
Ever tried super ninja boy for SNES? Its only flaw to me is that it uses a password save system but if youre playing it on an emulator, it isnt a deal. There are also the NES and GB versions btw.
>>
>>2802803
I have the same problem. I want more challenge and less storytime.

Wizardry is pretty kickass, give it a try OP.
>>
>>2807412
Not OP but isnnt that more of an action game?
>>
>>2802585
Sword of Vermilion on the Genesis/Megadrive is shaping up to be very much like DQ1, as I play through it.
>>
>>2802795
>You must play casual overhyped shit in order to be an RPG fan
>>
>>2807629
Explain to the class what "casual" means, newfag.
>>
File: One and Two Cast.gif (51KB, 983x344px) Image search: [Google]
One and Two Cast.gif
51KB, 983x344px
>>2802803
Mother 1 and then EarthBound. For sure. If it makes you feel any better, both games were made by a guy who looked at Dragon Quest and said "I could do better."

And then he did.
>>
>>2807545
>Password save
Are you Japanese?
>>
>>2807715
DW1 came out in 1989 so the odds are even more against it.
>>
>>2803414

Good luck bro. It's a ridiculous game.
>>
>>2807706
OP already said he doesn't like story, he only wants grinding treadmill.
>>
>>2807545
I know japan had an infamous Apple ][ fanbase but let's be real, computer rpgers just weren't very popular among the broad public back then.
>>
>>2809920
If that was true then he'd love Mother 1 anyway. Sounds more like he wants JRPGs that offer high difficulty and open-ended approaches.
>>
>>2809925
Ultima, Wizardry or Xanadu were fairly popular in Japan at the time.
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.