[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Retro games that you think had some interesting ideas that were

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 15

File: 212257[1].jpg (80KB, 573x410px) Image search: [Google]
212257[1].jpg
80KB, 573x410px
Retro games that you think had some interesting ideas that were never really seen again in future generations.

Pic is Sentient which was actually a pretty meh-tier RPG/Adventure game that came out in 1997. I've been looking at it again recently and its 'thing' was the player was able to communicate with pretty much everyone in the game (in a traditional sort of 'ask about X/Y' sort of way), but with a little facial expression in the bottom corner which let you go about your business in a jovial, sad, angry (etc) mood, which would have an effect on the NPC response. Every NPC would also do this, and the fucking nightmare fuel mid-90s character models would literally smile or frown at you depending on their demeanour.

Unfortunately the application was clunky as hell and reviewers at the time panned it. I've not seen many games attempt anything similar since.

I think the advent of 3D environments in games with the Saturn/N64/PS1 meant that it was a time of more scope for creativity as developers got to grips with what this new technology would actually mean for games. I also think we're going through something similar now with the availability of tools for basically any guy with a text editor and some coding knowledge to make an indie game.
>>
File: 1089845-psd3d010[1].jpg (125KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
1089845-psd3d010[1].jpg
125KB, 1024x768px
Also Three Lions which came out around the time of World Cup 98. Different from FIFA and ISS Pro in that it did away with shit commentators completely and had the manager of your team shouting stuff on the sidelines. There were different languages for different teams, too (even though they only had around half a dozen phrases).

It was a kickass football game too. Since then FIFA has been the mold for pretty much every game in the genre and commentary is now mandatory, no matter how shit.
>>
File: hybridheaven-11.jpg (180KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
hybridheaven-11.jpg
180KB, 640x480px
Hybrid Heaven and its unique semi-turn based fighting/wrestling combat system.
>>
File: tmp_31429-titanic-5-313092108.png (287KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
tmp_31429-titanic-5-313092108.png
287KB, 640x480px
Starship titanic tried including conversational AI, kinda like chatterbot.
>>
Lennus 1 and 2 had some weird things going on with its mercenary system and its way of handling magic. I feel like I can think of games that were similar, but Lennus was weird in its own way.
>>
File: perfect-dark-xbla-jo-institute.jpg (136KB, 518x291px) Image search: [Google]
perfect-dark-xbla-jo-institute.jpg
136KB, 518x291px
I've always thought that counter-op in Perfect Dark was pretty unique. The only thing I can think of that's similar is that people can play as Elites in Halo Reach firefight mode, but it's not exactly the same. The ability to modify the personality of bots, while not completely unique, is somewhat uncommon.
>>
Boktai's use of the sun and an actual solar sensor if you had the cartridge was something that actually got me outside. 2 was really neat, because there were areas where it was useful to have some sun but not too much or too little. A new one was made 'recently', but with an artificial sun instead of a real one.

I read reviews about it, saying that it didn't do well in some countries/areas with little actual sun through the day, and areas with a lot of rain. Still, it was nice to have a game that used the actual sun.
>>
Biggest one to me is easily Immercenary. It's an MMO without the Online, years before any MMOs came out.

The main problem with it is that the actual gameplay isn't very good.
>>
File: 8563126512345123.jpg (41KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
8563126512345123.jpg
41KB, 640x640px
>>2802007
The third move came out a year earlier, and rather than a straight tie-in, Probe tossed out a single game covering all three movies, with a different style of gameplay for each.

None of them are 5/5s but there's a ton of entertainment value, and a bucketload of fun cheats, which are rare as rocking horse shit nowadays, including a tool for editing the player and AI routes in the Die Hard 2 rail shooter.

It's a shame Travellers Tales are the only ones doing compendium games like this now, with their Lego titles.
>>
Pic related is a racing game for NES which has you starting out in a Mini, updating it by buying new parts for it, eventually trading it to better cars while acquiring licences that allow you to enter higher tier races.

In other words it literally did what Gran Turismo did 7 earlier.
>>
>>2802171
I always wanted to finish this game but never did. I remember playing it when I was young and getting confused and forcing myself to beat certain parts. Like when you could upgrade your living suite.
>>
>>2802463
>tool for editing routes in a rail shooter built into the game

holy shit, I can't believe a game has done something like this.
>>
File: one hell of a night.jpg (32KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
one hell of a night.jpg
32KB, 500x500px
HELLNIGHT had a lot of really interesting ideas, and the gameplay was pretty unique (albeit not very good). I'd love to see something like it again, without less walking around a maze for hours.
>>
File: image.jpg (38KB, 290x231px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
38KB, 290x231px
>>2802463
>None of them are 5/5
Die hard and die hard with a vengeance are both 5/5s.
Die hard 2 is a 3.5/5
>>
>>2802338

The ability to control bots on your team in Combat Dimulator was awesome too (having them follow, hold their position, attack a certain player, etc whenever you want is sweet and I feel like many people probably don't even know there's a way to do this)

>play with a friend
>play on opposite teams with four simulants each
>you and your friend set every simulants to follow you
>meet up somewhere and watch as 10 people fight it out in a single room
>>
>>2802430
yeah in the UK this was like "why would I buy a game I can only play 2 weeks a year?"
>>
>>2802640
Unreal Tournament 99 did this as well, though you couldn't get your bots to target a specific player. Still, properly managing your teammates was essential in some of the later singleplayer missions. UT's singleplayer was actually astoundingly good considering its primary focus on multiplayer.
>>
>>2802640
Republic commando does this to a great extent but its only single-player.
>>
File: 61635.jpg.png (8KB, 640x400px) Image search: [Google]
61635.jpg.png
8KB, 640x400px
Captain Blood had some pretty unique ideas...whatever they actually were supposed to be since the game always ended for me in blowing up entire planets and asking aliens for sex.
>>
>>2802640

or, alternatively,

>set every bot to attack one of your friends
>>
File: actraiser j.jpg (148KB, 500x910px) Image search: [Google]
actraiser j.jpg
148KB, 500x910px
Actraiser was a unique combination of genres. Not that it did any of them well, but it was a cool mix. I really liked to see a game expand and elaborate on that idea.
>>
Umihara's take on platformers is really fantastic.
>>
I love these kinds of games,even if their execution was not the best. If I were to make video games I'd probably try making games like this, experimenting with mechanics.
>>
File: FLYING DRAGON.png (61KB, 738x726px) Image search: [Google]
FLYING DRAGON.png
61KB, 738x726px
This is why the N64 is my favorite console. It has the most experimental games of any system. Maybe every game in its library does something unique. It's how we ended up with Super Smash Bros, and eventually RE4 (thanks to Operation WinBack).

Now if only someone would make a game based on boxing robots like the Impact fight in Mystical Ninja.
>>
File: Geomod.jpg (11KB, 300x225px) Image search: [Google]
Geomod.jpg
11KB, 300x225px
Not quite retro, but geo-mod blew my fucking mind.
>>
>>2802007
I would have enjoyed Sentient more if not for pretty much every objective having a strict time limit in which it needs to be completed. Getting anywhere in the game takes a fair bit of exploration and experimentation, and it's a bit irritating to have that constantly interrupted by the space station crashing into the sun or somesuch.
>>
>>2802007

Wow that's like a Chris Crawford concept.

http://www.abandonia.com/en/games/653/Trust+and+Betrayal+-+Legacy+of+Siboot.html
>>
>>2806123
The technology must have been tricky to use or had some flaws as I'm surprised no other game picked it up.
>>
>>2806116
lol
>>
>>2802171
"Mmmmmmmmm... I'm trying to care but I just can't."
Kek
>>
File: mercenary force.jpg (52KB, 640x639px) Image search: [Google]
mercenary force.jpg
52KB, 640x639px
Probably the only shmup that is actually creative.
>>
>>2811289
What about Otocky? A musical shmup (maybe even the first musical game ever? and I do mean musical game, not rythm game).

And Fuzzical Figther, jRPG/Shmup.
>>
>>2802020
Hell yeah
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.