[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /vr/, I plan on making a 16-bit styled video game (don't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 1

File: snes.jpg (41KB, 500x400px) Image search: [Google]
snes.jpg
41KB, 500x400px
Hey /vr/, I plan on making a 16-bit styled video game (don't worry, it's not retro, so I won't shill it here), however I'm still not sure what kind of game I want to make, so I'm looking for some inspiration. What is your favorite game(s) of the 16-bit era?
>>
>>2799447
what? you don't have your own favorite games? you need help deciding what you want to make, let alone skill or knowledge to pull that off?
Just quit, you'll never go anywhere acting like that.
>>
Will you pay us a consulting fee?
>>
>>2799451

I definitely have my own favorites, but that doesn't mean I shouldn't look for inspiration elsewhere. There's plenty of SNES and (especially) Genesis games that I haven't played but definitely should, maybe I could follow your recommendations.

>>2799452

5 cents per post, 10 if you get dubs.
>>
>i plan on making a game
>i have no ideas
>>
>>2799461

I'll need more than that, limpdick. Perhaps you could cover the cost by selling off what little credibility you have left in this thread.
>>
>>2799447

Make an action adventure. Preferably in a setting that hasn't been done before (or isn't used too often). I mean something like Zelda but with a different focus. These games are extinct now (except for Zelda of course) and I'd pay good money for a new game. Take a look at games like Landstalker, Beyond Oasis, Illuision of Gaia/Time, Soleil/Crusader of Centy, Soulblazer etc. to see how these kind of games used to be very diverse in their approach to combat, exploration, platforming, puzzles etc. Maybe you can come up with a new twist in order to breathe life into this great dying genre.
>>
>>2799447
do something original im fucking sick of the le retro indie games (looking at you in particular, ps+)
>>
>>2799480

Congratulations, you just became lower than an intern. Didn't think that was possible, but boy-howdy-fuck you've proven me wrong.
>>
>>2799447
True Lies (Snes or Genesis version, both are good)
Super Castlevania 4
>>
Make a game exactly like Earthbound but change the characters and setting JUST a little bit. Then cite Earthbound as the inspiration for the game and enjoy endless money.
>>
>>2799482
>you just became lower than an intern

Why? For shilling a genre I hope to see return to its former glory one day? I'm still surprised not more indie developers are trying to make a good action adventure. I think it is one of the few retro genres that are not oversaturated on steam. Who knows, maybe OP for once proves to be not a complete faggot and actually tries making a game.
>>
Here's a mountain of shit, hopefully I won't have to post again after this.

>>2799480
>>2799489
I was thinking of making an action RPG, maybe with an archer as the main character instead of the swordsman in almost every game. I was also thinking of making the additional items and magic extensions of the arrow (like how Zelda has ice, fire, and light arrows, but much more expansive). I'm still not sure if that's the path I want to go down through because there's probably plenty of other genres that deserve a game too (like Metroidvania type games).

Addressing the point in the second post, I'm almost positive the game will be made. I have almost unlimited time to work on this game for the next year, in addition to a team of ten of my friends that want to help out with programming, art, and music. I might post about it on /v/ or /g/ or wherever else it belongs when the project gets underway (like I said, it's not retro, so it's not going in /vr/).

>>2799481
I'm trying to do that. I don't want to make a plain RPG because they've been done so many times before, even though I love the SNES JRPGs. I don't want to be be a nostalgia trip, I want it to be an extension of retro games.

>>2799486
I get the meme, but here's my real opinion on that; as much as I love EarthBound, I want to stay as far away from it as possible. I might take the rolling HP meter if I make that action RPG and I'll take some inspiration from the music, but it's impossible to do a game like EarthBound and not be seen like a copycat because EB is very unique and well done (kind of like how it's hard to make a shoegaze album without being compared to MBV, but that's not /vr/ related)

>>2799484
Thanks for actually answering the question! My game isn't /vr/ related, so I don't want to talk about it. The reason I put the background in the topic is because I didn't want to seem like I was making another thinly veiled "le console wars" thread.
>>
Lot of bitter old jerks and random assholes in here. What happened to /vr/?
>>
Make a 16bit starfox adventures. 16 bit chibi robo 16 bit smash bros
>>
>>2799705
Once one guy starts talking in a condescending fashion it spreads out.
>>
Whatever you do don't make it a shmup! I love shmups but we've had quite enough new shmups on old systems.

What games do you love? Which ones ignite passion in you? Personally if I was making a game I'd try and make it an adventure game based on real world locales, that's something I always love in games.

>>2799705
I don't know man, it's really gone down the toilet over the last year or so.
>>
>>2799461
>but that doesn't mean I shouldn't look for inspiration elsewhere.

I humbly disagree. If you go around asking other people what they want out of a perfect game you'll just get another weird mishmash hybrid thing that's like a million other ones.

Go with what you love the most and make something super niche and specific to what gets you going. That way it'll be unique if nothing else and probably a lot more interesting.

Maybe if you list your favorite games we can find similar threads in them though.
>>
My favorite game from 16-bit is Fallout 4
>>
Terranigma is my favourite 16bit game
That's what you asked, there's your reply
>>
>>2799785
Make a starfox game in the style of this with added arming parts
>>
make an ISIS terrorist game.

get plenty of media coverage for it being a touchy topic.

profit.
>>
>>2799794
Make sure it has some kind of environmental message, that shit was popular in the 16-bit days.
>>
Make an Earthbound inspired RPG game! :^)
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.