[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

itt: games that were almost decent, but fatally flawed. pic

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 2

itt: games that were almost decent, but fatally flawed.

pic related, I tried this out and it's almost fun. with savestates, it is fun. but the fact that you only have 1 hp and everything kills you makes it really frustratingly difficult to play through fairly.
>>
>>2799335
>>2799335
>you only have 1 hp and everything kills you

That is every shmup ever, though
>>
File: Deadly_Towers_NES_ScreenShot3.jpg (52KB, 256x224px) Image search: [Google]
Deadly_Towers_NES_ScreenShot3.jpg
52KB, 256x224px
also this. it's almost decent, I liked the towers and boss fights. but the dungeons are mindbendingly ridiculous, you start off too weak, you always get sent back to the beginning, too many cheap ways of getting killed, etc. the basic idea is not bad at all and I always liked the atmosphere, but the execution is what ruins it.

I forgot to mention that silver surfer has amazing music.
>>
>>2799337

true, but the walls killing you made it that much worse.

I realize the convention, but silver surfer is ridiculous as is. with HP and/or harmless walls it would be pretty good.
>>
Even if you fixed Silver Surfer it'd only be decent. It's really only memorable for being shit and having a Follin soundtrack
>>
>>2799343

I'm not saying it would be amazing, but it was worth the playthrough when I relied on savestates (which I usually don't abuse).
>>
>>2799342
It isn't difficult though it's actually a pretty straight forward memoriser that can be 1 credited in a few hours (took me 4). Admittingly i play shmups exclusively for a good 6-7 years now but still it's doable.
>>
>>2799382

I'm less experienced in shmups (although gradius 3 is a favorite). I could probably do it, but I lose patience with memorization.
>>
>>2799337
there are SHMUPs with HP
>>
>>2799415
And you know how well they are regarded, they coined the term euroshmup.
>>
>>2799417
>un squadron isn't well regarded
>>
>>2799417
Gradius has shields
>>
>>2799419
How the fuck is that euro?
>>2799426
They also double your hitbox to a ridiculous size. Oh come on, do you even play these games.
>>
>>2799435

You're the one who threw out "euroshmup" you can't be like "oh those don't count because they prove me wrong"
>>
>>2799435

not always, the reduce shield made you smaller and another kept you the same size.
>>
>>2799439
Well fuck you, I'm done with this retarded genre and I hate shitemups.
>>
ITT: James
>>
>>2799704
Ain't even lyin'.
>>
>>2799335
Game fucking sucks outside of the music and people only pretend it's ok because AVGN made it well known so now they gotta pretend they have some stupid retro gamer cred.
>>
>>2799335
i loved that game. GOAT ost
https://youtu.be/-J0H5ah1G7A
>>
>>2800002
i owned the original cart when it came out. played the fucking shit out of it. got me into shmups, still a huge fan. eat shit
>>
Plok

3 hour game with limited continues, low health and no passwords or saves.

If it was 1 hour long I wouldn't mind as much.
>>
>>2799337
there are lots of shmups with power ups that allow you to get hit more than once
>>
>>2800110

Just git gud with the warp zones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIg_vVIlItI
>>
>>2799704

just because he covered those games doesn't mean Im the nerd.

>>2800002

my whole point is that it's almost a solid game, it just needs shields.
>>
>>2799335
I think Streetfighter 2010 is kinda cool but the controls are rubbish and the timer frequently feels like it's made to be just short of what you always need.
Also the references to Streetfighter and Final Fight is obviously bullshit, that could be changed as well.

>>2799382
>straight forward memoriser
To me, that doesn't make for a proper challenge when shmups are meant to be action games.

>>2800002
Basically. There's people who will act like Dragon's Lair for the NES isn't abysmal and that it was only because of AVGN that it's disliked (when it was generally considered to be a fucking piece of shit before there even was a YouTube and people had been shitting on it for years before).

>>2799704
>people aren't allowed to talk about subpar games if he's covered them
Fuck off ataridad.
>>
>>2799335
To me the biggest problem is just that the weapon in the game just isn't very fun to use. Switching the direction you were shooting really didn't have any practical use. Even if you kept the ball busting difficulty some variety of weapons probably would've made it decent. Only a small fraction of people who have ever played Zombies Ate My Neighbors have ever beat it, but it's still considered a great game because there's just so many weapons.
>>
>>2801521

that's a good point, having an arsenal of weapons adds alot to a game.
>>
>>2801521
>Switching the direction you were shooting really didn't have any practical use
Shooting down is incredibly useful in the final stages. You don't even have to dodge the final boss's attacks, you can hover over his head the entire time.
>>
>>2801631
That strikes me as bad game design.
>>
>>2801445
>To me, that doesn't make for a proper challenge when shmups are meant to be action games.

What is that even supposed to mean? Pretty much all of the early horizontal shoot em ups on the arcades are like that. Silver Surfer isn't even close to being the most difficult or frustrating one of the bunch either. Sounds like you just have no experience with the genre.
>>
>>2801651
There are some pretty big oversights.
Score is basically worthless because you can infinitely milk bosses since they never time out
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.