[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm gonna be going on vacation to Japan (Tokyo and Osaka)

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: taito.jpg (409KB, 1440x810px) Image search: [Google]
taito.jpg
409KB, 1440x810px
I'm gonna be going on vacation to Japan (Tokyo and Osaka) in January.
What are some good arcades, game bars, and stores to check out?
>>
>>2798545
Super Potato.
>Game Bars
Where do you think you're going? Portland?
>>
In Osaka, I'd recommend Space Station as a video game bar to check out, as it's owned by an American and is very foreigner friendly. Get there at opening though (8pm) as it fills up quick as it's very small. Also, there is a mandarake near by which has a decent selection of games.

Also in Osaka, do to Den Den Town and particularly the Super Potato there. It's loads better than the Akihabara Super Potato, which is utter shit.
>>
If you have to visit Akiba, stop by BEEP Shop for some really lesser-known Japanese PC-related stuff.
>>
>>2798545
fuck that shit, go to roppongi and fuck some thai hoes
>>
>>2798554

I'm going with my boyfriend
>>
>>2798563
then ask him for a retrofreak or you gay boy?
>>
>>2798545
Super potato is pretty overpriced. I went there with a list of games and unsurprisingly found everything i wanted. Then I started going to Book Off, Hard Off and Hobby Off where I ended up finding all the games again but for a pittance.
Super Potato is popular because it is well cataloged and everything is in one place, but after buying a few games there and then finding that most games from book off cost at most 1000 yen, I felt a bit ripped off.

Don't avoid it though, they have a great selection and also have a load of merch (if you're into that).

Wander around the block to the Mandarake and go to floor 6. It's got a lot more floor space and is packed with games and systems.
I bought a boxed super famicon there for 6000.

If playing games instead of collecting is more your thing, there is an arcade called "Hey" in between the Club Sega's in Akihabara. There is an entire floor full of retro arcade games. I played Super ghouls and ghosts, r-type, gradius, splatterhouse, street fighter 2 and 3, paperboy, donkey kong, pacman and tatsujin (truxton). There is likely 50-80 arcade machines there on just that floor.

If you're looking to go out drinking, there are a few places in Shinjuku that I went where they have indoor golf, darts, pool, karaoke and some arcade machines (mostly coin pushers and betting).

Always ask the bars if they have nomihodai. It's basically all you can drink for a time limit of usually 2-3 hours. I also only costs 2000-3000 yen.

Have fun.
>>
I live in Tokyo...

Friends and Mandarake in Akiba are great. Super potato is nice but rather overpriced.

Game bars? A-button in Akihabara, 8 bit cafe in Shinjuku Sanchome, Qunai bros in Shinjuku Golden Gai.

Taito's Hey in Akiba is a great arcade with a variety of games from the ages.
>>
>>2798598
Good to see the same opinions about the places i visited on holiday.
>>
Went to Hey on Saturday, yeah, it was very nice. Kinda cramped, but that can't be helped.
>>
>>2798595
Book Off / Hard Off is pretty great for finding a variety of both consoles and games. Bought a Cyan 64 + controller (the bottoms were a little yellow but w/e) from Shibuya for like 1700 yen. I also bought 2 pairs of DK bongos from there + 2 games for like 600 yen all up.

Super Potato (at least as I experienced in Tokyo) can be pretty pricey definitely. I paid 1500 yen for a Famicom Kirby's Adventure there. Apparently the Osaka one is a lot cheaper tho. Check them out for sure.

There's a bunch of second-hand stores in Akiba. They can be hit and miss in terms of stock, but you'll probably find what you want if you search hard enough. Even found a basically mint copy of FE12 for 2800 yen. I definitely feel like there were lots more Nintendo-based games to be found than SEGA games (was really only searching for Ninty tho). One of the second hand figure shops also had a few second hand games quite cheap (it's located in a large building near the JR station, just beside the main street)
There was one in particular, however, that I found even more over-priced than Super Potato. Hated it. Can't remember the name of the store, though. It was a little bit down the main strip, station side.
>>
File: nihon_e_20130106_2.jpg (64KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
nihon_e_20130106_2.jpg
64KB, 600x450px
January game fukubukuro福袋
>>
I swear to god, at least 50% of /vr/ is living in Japan right now...
>>
>>2799294
Yeah, it feels like that to me too. Well, I'm on of those people though.
>>
>>2799294

This is prolly gonna sound super-weird, but you know the "good future" cityscapes in Sonic CD?

I always imagined big Japanese cities were like that.
>>
>>2799291
Is that a box of ten random Famicom carts for about ten bucks?
>>
I'd recommend going to Hey, for sure. There's a decent selection of retro video games to play (I like to play Super Puyo Puyo 2 there but it's tough to find competitors) but Hey is also great because it features 10円 SF2 cabs, which are always popular and frequented by a lot of great players. It's a good place to go watch a few games, especially in the early evening, or to get bodied if you're into playing SF2.

I also wholly recommend going to Hard Off before you buy anything at Super Potato since it's probably cheaper there, although you can't beat the selection at Super Potato. There's a certain store that specializes in retro games that I've spent a fair bit of money at in Akiba but I don't know the name of it. It's fairly well known and easy to find (get on to the main street from the station, turn right and walk for about five minutes); their selection isn't great but the price is right.
>>
This thread is making me more jelly than a Smuckers factory.
>>
>>2798545
Tokyo Joypolis, and its close yo the giant Gundam
If you want something to eat and buy some souvenirs you can go to Artnia Cafe next to Square Enix building
If you want arcades, manga, action figures, tech, etc. go to Akihabara (akiba)
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.