[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why did Sega do this... Look at this nightmare. What in the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 137
Thread images: 6

File: Sega Image.png (1MB, 2472x1573px) Image search: [Google]
Sega Image.png
1MB, 2472x1573px
Why did Sega do this...

Look at this nightmare.

What in the holy mother of fuck were they thinking

Why did Sega kill itself
>>
>>2794220
Don't forget the Genesis Stereo, the X'eye, and if we're moving off of just Genesis, the Pico.
>>
>>2794220
I would not mind owning a Teradrive. That looks really great.
>>
>>2794227
Those are all off brands. I think the Genesis 3 is too but I guess OP wanted to make a point about the fact there are 3 Genesis
>>
>>2794228
I wouldnt mind just owning the keyboard.
>>
>Genesis 1989 - 16 bit
>Sega CD 1991
>Neptune 1994 - 32 bit
>Saturn 1996 - 64 bit
Saturn has more development, arrives with the great reception the Neptune would have had being a proper transition from the Genesis.
I fixed Sega.
>>
Genesis, Sega CD and Saturn are some of the best consoles/peripherals from the 90s, seems pretty good to me.
>>
>>2794243
>Saturn
>64bit
>>
>>2794273
He's obviously talking about giving them more development time to make the Saturn 64-bit, dude.
>>
>>2794232
Well the Pico is actually a sega product if I recall correctly.

>>2794243
two years is way too few between neptune and saturn, just skip the neptune entirely (stupid idea in the first place) and move the CD to 1992.
>>
>>2794274
They didn't need more development time. Silicon Graphics offered them the N64 hardware before they offered it to Nintendo instead.

They declined cause not Japanese technology.
>>
>>2794274
>talking about development time
oh didn't see that, that looks like a proper development too.
>>
>>2794294
>two years is way too few between neptune and saturn, just skip the neptune entirely (stupid idea in the first place) and move the CD to 1992.

The Neptune was not a stupid idea. It was a great idea and would've been far greater a move than 20 fucking random consoles, ten re-releases of the Genesis, the CDX, and 32X.

Especially if it was their 32 bit console that gave them time to make a true 64-bit beast that rivaled the N64 plus used CDs. It could've came in after PS1 and took the rest of the market from the Nintendo 64.

They rushed out the 32x and threw out Neptune development because of the fucking Atari Panther. Ironically, Atari did the same dumb shit with trying to rush out a 32 bit system and cancelling it and jumping to a dual 32 bit system the Jaguar, which also killed them.

Both companies died due to their fuck ups involving 32 bit consoles.
>>
>>2794294
>two years is way too few between neptune and saturn

You say this while seeing an image that literally shows them releasing a Genesis CD fusion, the CDX, the same year as the Saturn, and also the 32x catastrophe the same year as Saturn.

Trust me, I'm sure if Sega said Model 1 and Model 2 are enough and launched the Neptune and Saturn, Sega would still be alive.
>>
>>2794314

The Neptune was a dumb idea. Go full 32-bit or go home.
>>
>>2794336
Neptune was full 32.
>>
>>2794243

Nah, you're making the same mistake Sega did when they discontinued the Saturn early- people tend to feel resentful and betrayed when a company obsoletes or drops support for the expensive piece of hardware they just plunked down good money for. Once they feel that way, they tend not to buy your next product even if it's a home run.
>>
>>2794339

No it wasn't- it was a 32X+MD combo internally. Even the Saturn design with all its esoteric bullshit was supposedly more capable.
>>
>>2794269

Nope. The original SegaCD had some pretty damning hardware defects.

The Saturn and Genesis seemed to be built like a brick shithouse though.
>>
>>2794306

You know, I've been reading up on books that do a "postmortem" of Sega. Their CEO really seems like a most unpleasant shithead.
>>
>>2794324
It's not fair to compare horrible decisions to reasonably sound decisions like that, practically any half-baked plan made today would work better than what they actually did.

Personally I think neptune was just an unnecessary distraction. No need to divide consumers and developers.
>>
>>2794382
At the time, it would've been less suicidal than what they did with the Genesis.
>>
How do you even use the MegaJet?

Don't you need a monitor?
>>
>>2794306
It was NIH syndrome, not nationalism or xenophobia. That theory is sensationalist view only supported by SoA apologists.

>>2794404
Yeah, you need a display. It was meant to be played on airplane monitors, thus the name.
>>
>>2794424
>It was NIH syndrome, not nationalism or xenophobia. That theory is sensationalist view only supported by SoA apologists.

Oh right, so why did they go with Hitachi products as often as practical?

Could it be that there was some kind of Japanese cronyism going on after all hmm? Some kind of Japanese connection to the company? That couldn't possibly be it, right?
>>
>>2794306
>Silicon Graphics offered them the N64 hardware before they offered it to Nintendo instead.
source please

>>2794445
>why did they go with Hitachi products as often as practical?
Probably a manufacturing deal, perhaps after using Hitachi in the 32x they continued to be partners for Saturn and Dreamcast (both of which use Hitachi CPUs)
>>
>>2794342
this, they screwed over the western markets with all the add-on crap, and the japanese market was scorned when they cancelled the Saturn everywhere, despite it being well-supported and perfectly healthy in that region.

The Dreamcast should have been their triumph, but it was held back by their past mistakes.
>>
what the fuck is the atari panther
did sega really release the 32x to compete against it
>>
>>2794452
>source please
>I remember Joe Miller and I were talking about this, and we had been contacted by Jim Clark, the founder of SGI (Silicon Graphics Inc.), who called us up one day and said that he had just bought a company called MIPS Inc. which had been working on some things with some great R&D people, and it just so happened that they came up with a chip that they thought would be great for a video game console.

>that chipset became part of the next generation of Nintendo products (N64).

http://wayback.archive.org/web/20090207173139/http://www.sega-16.com/feature_page.php?id=214&title=Interview:%20Tom%20Kalinske

>Probably a manufacturing deal, perhaps after using Hitachi in the 32x they continued to be partners for Saturn and Dreamcast (both of which use Hitachi CPUs)

Nope, it literally happened due to a family relationship of one of the SoJ executives and the CEO of Hitachi.

None of the Hitachi products were very good except for the SH-4 in Dreamcast.
>>
>>2794445
I promised myself not to reply seriously to you whenever I recognize your loony provocative anti-SoJ posts in Sega threads, so here's a link to a youtube video instead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-DpRcxK_N8
>>
>>2794220

> Why did Sega do this...

>Look at this nightmare.

>What in the holy mother of fuck were they thinking

>Why did Sega kill itself

It was just the wrong time and poor timing. What SEGA did isn’t even that crazy compared to the likes of Apple.
Shit look at Apple’s product line right now. 5… five… one more fucking time FIVE FUCKING TABLETS are available right now. Add to the watches, ipods, and iphones. Apple is a bigger clusterfuck then SEGA ever was. Their product life spans even shorter. Yet they make shitloads of money.
>>
>>2794472
>Apple has five tablets

current tablets available for purchase on samsung.com (not counting different storage sizes, colors, and mobile carrier-specific versions):
Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 Lite 7"
Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 7"
Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 NOOK 7"
Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 8"
Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 NOOK 8"
Samsung Galaxy Tab E 8"
Samsung Galaxy Tab A 8"
Samsung Galaxy Tab S 8.4"
Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 8"
Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 9.7"
Samsung Galaxy Tab A 9.7"
Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5"
Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 NOOK 10.1"
Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 10.1"
Samsung Galaxy Tab S 10.5"
Samsung Galaxy Note 2014 Edition 10.1"
Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 10.1"
Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 12.2"
Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2"

>Add to the watches, ipods, and iphones.
I am not going to do this again for Samsung's equivalents.

Reminder that Samsung is the largest Android device manufacturer.
>>
>>2794479
Exactly. SEGA doesn't compare.
>>
>>2794483
Well there's a difference of course. Turnover on these devices is far higher, they serve a different purpose, and Samsung doesn't take a major financial hit if, say, absolutely zero people on the planet bought a Samsung Galaxy Tab Pro 10.1".

Game hardware manufacturers have to be a lot more careful, even today. If one product fails, it hurts the bottom line severely.
>>
>>2794489
One of the major selling points to phones is mobile gaming. They are directly comparable.

I’m pretty confident SEGA was hoping to catch the “gatta have new” crowd with the 32x and SEGA CD.
>>
>>2794493
>They are directly comparable.
lel
>>
>>2794496
>lel

Oh we got a 15 year old hipster. Can't talk bad about his phone.
>>
>>2794498
Huh? I just think it's funny you think one phone or tablet model has the same effect on Samsung's bottom line as for example the 32X did on Sega's.
>>
>>2794504
If the 32x actually sold.
If Samsung designed a brand new phone with new technology and it flopped like the 32x did then you can bet that division would be in deep shit. They'd lose far more money than SEGA ever did.
>>
>>2794506
They also make way more on all those devices than all of Sega ever did. They'd be hurting, but safe. Sega had no cushions, they bet everything on Mega Drive products until they were forced to abandon them, and they just couldn't let go because it was their cash cow. 32X should have never existed.

Sega was gambling too much on products that ultimately failed.
>>
>>2794514
SEGA had arcades and they've always been in the gambling machine business.

I personally think what they lacked was games. But the timing was fucked with the Saturn.
>>
File: sat_VA0_pal_1.jpg (349KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
sat_VA0_pal_1.jpg
349KB, 1024x768px
>>2794506
>>2794514
Saturn was also a stupidly expensive design, way too many chips. Way too many internals. And the performance wasn't close to good enough to justify the expense.

It actually required a daughterboard above because the main board didn't have enough room to fit all of the chips.

Did they really think, wow, our latest creation can truly compete in price with our competitors?
>>
File: NUS-CPU-01_Front.jpg (208KB, 999x1024px) Image search: [Google]
NUS-CPU-01_Front.jpg
208KB, 999x1024px
>>2794523
By comparison, here's the N64 design. This is what they gave up. More powerful AND probably cost 4 times less to manufacture due to its highly integrated design.
>>
>>2794518
They screwed themselves so badly with the Saturn. A big part of it started with Neptune and 32X. They confused the fuck out of industry watchers before anyone even knew what Saturn would look like. That's pretty bad.
>>
>>2794518

I kinda agree with you. I mean, SEGA has/had a lot of good franchises, I'm surprised nobody still posted that image with lots of titles. But then you see one by one and realize they're all arcade games. Not arcadey games, but games made to be played in coin operated arcades. They're awesome, of course, and some of my all time favourite are arcade titles, but most of these titles lacked some depth, let's see if I can explain myself with this. I'm not talking about some 2DEEP4YOU plot or some shit like that, but depth in the ways you spend hours in front of a screen, put yourself in the place of the hero, discover secrets which baffles you and things like that you can see in games like Super Metroid, for example. Maybe the Genesis concept of bringing an arcade to your house could work as charm in '88, but then people stopped caring so much about it I believe
>>
>>2794306
They declined after spending more than a year fixing bugs in the CPU to no avail. Nintendo was offered the v2 of they chip.
>>
>>2794560
This is true, the nature of games evolved more along the path of being long experiences that you peeled open over time. Maybe they were stories or just simple adventures, or all manner of other things. Either way, they weren't what Sega was ever about. Sega was meant to be played in arcades, it's what they do. They were simply unable to adapt to the changing market. A bit disappointing since I think the market changed too much toward a path undesirable, but that's me.

And not that they didn't try, it just ended up too late for them by the time they did start to pick up on what was happening in the industry. If not for Sonic and being bought by Sammy, I doubt they would even exist today.
>>
>>2794560
>>2794719
SEGA has a ton of IPs. The problem is none of them really got made on the 32x.
>>
>>2794445
Fuck off, Linkara.
>>
>>2794243
the 64bit thing was just a marketing ploy, the Nintendo 64 and Jaguar could theorically execute 64 bit instructions but majority of games stuck to 32 bit most of the time - 64 bit instructions are really the same as 32bit just twice as long, it actually made performance WORSE
>>
>>2794472
>>2794479
These aren't really comparable for a pretty obvious reason: no stack of physical media that isn't going to run on your new device.
>>
>>2794756
So? The hardware with phones is much more expensive.
>>
>>2794758
are you trying really hard to come across as a faggot? because you're doing a good job
>>
>>2794763
Great argument, champ.
>>
>>2794560
>Maybe the Genesis concept of bringing an arcade to your house could work as charm in '88, but then people stopped caring so much about it I believe.
This is kind of irritating. I know everyone likes different kinds of games, but it seems that people that like arcade games get ignored a lot. To me, the arcade style of game design is the standard and I don't see drawn out games like Super Metroid as an improvement. Nothing wrong with games like that, but it's annoying that straightforwards action games based around scores and records are dismissed as "dated" by some people.
>>
>>2794770
The hybrid or "arcade inspired" games of Saturn I think were done extremely well.
>>
File: petermoore.jpg (80KB, 1277x713px) Image search: [Google]
petermoore.jpg
80KB, 1277x713px
>>2794220
sega killed sega
>>
>>2794479
Each device serves a different purpose for a different consumer. They manufacture what demand takes. They do not need to sell millions of each to stay in business, and each one is not their only product they are riding on, unlike a video game console. This comparison isn't even valid.
>>2794780
But why
>>
>>2794902
My point exactly.
>>
>>2794273
Fun fact, the Saturn was marketed as a 64bit machine in Japan, on the early ads.
>>
>>2794294
>two years is way too few between neptune and saturn, just skip the neptune entirely (stupid idea in the first place) and move the CD to 1992

you know how ironic this is right

>CDX 1994
>Saturn 1994

They were literally releasing new Genesis' the same year they released their brand new next gen console.

What the fuck is wrong with them? What fucking company would ever keep releasing versions of it's past gen system when its next gen one comes out? Sega would have been MUCH better off dropping Genesis in it's peak of popularity and converting their load of happy consumers and most of their market share to the Saturn. Instead they fucked around, turned the Genesis into a Frankenstein, and released the Saturn on top of it.
>>
>>2794912
>What fucking company would ever keep releasing versions of it's past gen system when its next gen one comes out?
Nintendo and Sony
>>
>>2794915
>Nintendo and Sony
Ah, true. I forgot the N64 CDX, released the same year as the GameCube.

And the PSONE... It was released in the same year as the PS2, and don't forget the PSX and PSX cartridge add on and all the other addons they released. And the PS Portable, the PS1 handheld device in 2000.
>>
>>2794915
So, the PSOne was nothing like what Sega did. When Sony released the PSOne, it was to get adopters onto the Playstation who hadn't played it yet. They never rode on the console sales like Sega kept trying to do with the Genesis over and over and over. If you really think Sony releasing the PSOne is anything like what Sega did with the Genesis and Saturn, you're just silly. Americans wouldn't even move on from the Genesis and that's why we have the 32x, while Japan was saying fuck it move on, we can't compete with ourselves.

The PSone, while a nice remade PlayStation, was never something Sony was riding on. In fact, it wouldn't have hurt them at all if it didn't sell.
>>
>>2794523
>It actually required a daughterboard above because the main board didn't have enough room to fit all of the chips.

That was because of how the development kits were created. Remember that they had a cart based Saturn first, then they switched to CD based. So the development kits had gigantic RAM boards on them for cart development, and a CD daughterboard for CD development - plus that way they could switch the CD block chipset around too, as it had its own special firmware on it. In fact some early development boxes have an earlier firmware that lacks the copy protection.

Since they already made a ton of those things, they made the console capable of using them as well. Reuse of parts, bitch.

Plus they tried a lot of different things that weren't ultimately necessary with the launch Saturns. At one point, it was meant to have a cooling fan like the Dreamcast.

And half a year later they already had a new board type that had everything fit on a single board, with a different heatsink, different power supply form factor, etc.
>>
>>2794919
I cringed

>>2794920
Let me re-quote the post that invited my simple and correct reply:
>What fucking company would ever keep releasing versions of it's past gen system when its next gen one comes out?
>>
>>2794358
You know, you should actually have a discussion with the guy before making an assumption like that.
>>
>>2794493
>They are directly comparable
I too, love Angry Birds.
>>
>>2794924
> I cringed

Anon, why? we're discussing the GPS Genesis.

Please buy Genesis. We'll even put it in an airplane.
>>
>>2794942
>Genesis PS

>Sonic the Hedgehog giving you directions
>While you play Sonic while driving
>>
>>2794941
>le Angry Birds is bad meme
I don't know why that one gets so much flak. That's one of the few modern phone games that I actually found enjoyable for short bursts of gaming on the go. Why don't you attack some actually boring phone games instead (not as easy a target?)
Can't say anything about the sequels though, as I never tried any of those.
>>
>>2794942
Now I'm hoping you keep this up as long as you can.
>>
>>2794220
ITT: People can't believe hardware revisions are a thing.
>>
>>2794962
Dude, you're not even coming back with anything. You're just like
>Nintendo and Sony did the exact same thing with their systems that Sega did

Really now. You're really going with that.
>>
>>2794974
Well what I did was I answered a stupid question correctly and now I'm hoping you continue to be defensive about it for a very long time.
>>
File: Nintendo PlayStation.png (642KB, 1590x1095px) Image search: [Google]
Nintendo PlayStation.png
642KB, 1590x1095px
>>2794915
>Nintendo and Sony
>>
>>2794751
>the 64bit thing was just a marketing ploy

Yes, it was. But the MIPS R4300i CPU (used in the N64) is much faster at executing 32bit instructions than even two Hitachi SH-2 CPUs (used in Saturn) working together at 100% efficiency.

The N64 being "64bit" wasn't integral to its design anyway. MIPS R4300i CPU was an off-the-shelf part that just happened to have support for 64bit instructions (only useful if you were using an array of them in a server really).

By the way, the Jaguar CPU was not actually capable of executing 64bit instructions, that claim was deliberately misleading. N64's 64bit capability may be a gimmick with no practical purpose for a 90s gaming console, but its CPU can actually do it.
>>
>>2794983
Well, what you did was not realize the Snes JR and the PSOne were both released by their companies as a low budget ALTERNATIVE to their next gen console.

They were not directly competing with or trying to get people to buy them over their next gen system.
>>
>>2794997
No, what I did was I answered a stupid question correctly and now I'm hoping you continue to be defensive about it for a very long time.
>>
>>2795000
>Correctly
In the most literal sense, but I wasn't saying in the most literal sense.

I was saying

>CDX
>32X
>Sega Nomad
>Sega Genesis Model 2
>Sega Genesis Model 3

All came out with and after the Sega Saturn.

A cheap alternative to their past gen being released around the next gen isn't like the revisions Sega kept pushing out for the Genesis.
>>
>>2794991
needs toploader NES
>>
>>2795002
>but I wasn't saying in the most literal sense
I forgive the mistake.
>>
>>2795003
Not significant. It was 50 dollars and was just Nintendo marketing.
>>
>>2794991
>Releasing a single chip manufacturing revision of classic systems 6 & 7 years after release.
Those fucking MONEY GRUBBING MONSTERS!
>>
>>2795006
I forgive your mistake too, for thinking a single slimmed down and cheaper redesign is anything like 4 entirely new systems attempting to push the Genesis name over the Saturn's.

This image
>>2794991
When compared to this image
>>2794220

Should CLEARLY FUCKING ILLUSTRATE SEGA KILLED ITSELF.
>>
>>2795002
>CDX
>32X
>Sega Nomad
>Sega Genesis Model 2
>Sega Genesis Model 3

>All came out with and after the Sega Saturn.

What the fuck are you talking about, the Genesis 3 is the only item on that list that came out after the Saturn's release.
>>
>>2795014
>I'm having trouble reading today

>CDX - 1994
>32X - 1994
>Sega Nomad - 1995
>Genesis Model 2 - 1994
>Genesis Model 3 - 1998

>Sega Saturn - 1994
>>
>>2795007
lel

>>2795013
>thinking a single slimmed down and cheaper redesign is anything like 4 entirely new systems attempting to push the Genesis name over the Saturn's
I never did that. You imagined that I did that.

I will quote the entirety of my response on this topic:
>Nintendo and Sony
>>
>>2795017
I'll concede with the Nomad, but you're seriously grasping at straws comparing things that came out solely in the United States with the Japanese release of a system.

This is such a stupid troll thread.
>>
>>2795021
>The 32X didn't kill Sega, neither did the Genesis. It was entirely Saturn's fault. People didn't buy the Saturn not because of the Genesis bullshit, but because they loved Genesis so much they never wanted to change.

Troll thread indeed
>>
The Mega Drive was so good they had to remake it 20 times.
>>
>>2794915
>Nintendo and Sony

Sega not only released new Genesis, it created brand new hardware that was supposed to upgrade your Genesis while the Saturn was out.
If Sony and Nintendo did anything like that, please show me.
>>
>>2795219
They didn't. What Nintendo and Sony did was
>keep releasing versions of it's past gen system when its next gen one comes out
>>
>>2795219
>If Sony and Nintendo did anything like that, please show me.
The Disk System and N64DD come to mind.
>>
>>2794472
>Yet they make shitloads of money.
Because Steve Jobs did a great marketing campaign even if Apple products are an overpriced piece of shit.
>>
>>2795328
>le epic fuck apple meme
>/vr/
epic epic epic
>>
>>2795356
Nothing he said was /v/ worthy or a meme. Calm down.
>>
>>2795362
Only millennial hate apple products, it's a known fact.
>>
>>2794991
You should include the Super Famicom and the Super Famicom Jr.

Also all the different colour variation Playstations, and the pocketstation.

And the Pikachu N64.
>>
>>2795363
nah, it's been cool to hate apple products about since the first iMacs came out, if not earlier.

although at the time only fags were using them.
>>
>>2795017
Saturn came out in 1994 November only in Japan - and yet you are comparing its launch date to the NA launch date of other consoles.

If you consider the 1995 summer launch date of the NA Saturn, then:

- CDX came out in 1994 summer, a full year before the Saturn, and it was also a PORTABLE CD PLAYER. It was also sold in very small numbers. Few ten thousands produced in total, split between NA, EU, and Asia.
- 32x came half a year before the Saturn, and everyone agrees it was a mistake anyway.
- Nomad was a HANDHELD.
- Genesis 2 came out in 1993, two years before the Saturn.
- Genesis 3 is the only real argument you have; and it was just a budget re-release (outsourced to Majesco, even). It was just a cost-reduced, cheap to produce revision, exactly the same as the toploader NES, the SNES Jr, the PSOne, the PS2 Slim, the X360 Slim... Gameboy Pocket even... Heck, arguably the Megadrive 2 as well (which was completely dead in Japan, hence why Sega of Japan was aggressively pushing the Saturn).
>>
>>2795013
>Should CLEARLY FUCKING ILLUSTRATE SEGA KILLED ITSELF.
Only youtube newfags think this
>>
>>2794909
Proof?
>>
>>2794227
If you're listing the X'eye, then don't forget the Aiwa CSD-GM1.
>>
The Saturn could've outperformed 64-bit if they went with better 3D and a better development kit. Especially with the 4meg cart.
>>
>>2794453
Saturn wasn't discontinued in Japan. Only in America because Americans wanted 3D, and the PlayStation did 3D better and costed much less.
>>
>>2796258
When I read his post, I knew what he meant by "Genesis Stereo." You might have missed it.
>>
>>2796301
Of course they discontinued Saturn in Japan. It even got a valiant hero's send-off.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yd5QJvnPwQU
>>
>>2794493
Keep in mind, Sega Cd was released at a time when most people didn't have CD players, let alone cd-rom. It had potential to be badass at the time, and there were some games that took good use of that potential (there's actually a decent sized list of games). Alas, most SCD games were unplayable FMV games which gave the CD notoriety, especially when judged by younger gamers who grew up when DVD was replacing CD.
Combine that with the $300 price tag, which was expensive considering it was only an add-on for a $150 console, and that was the reason the cd failed.
>>
>>2794912
If Sega released the Saturn at the height of the Gen's popularity, it probably would've costed as much as the 3d0, and the 3d0 had way worse specs than the Saturn.
>>
>>2796328
Audio CD was fairly common by the early 90s. My family wasn't rich by any means but we got our first CD player in 1987, and I traded CDs with my classmates. Sega CD wasn't positioned to be anyone's first CD player. Even the TurboCD was never seen or treated like that.
>>
>>2795239
Are you retarded. The post was about extending the life of the Sega Genesis with addons. The 32x came out the same year as the Saturn to keep the Genesis going. Not as a low budget alternative for inferior hardware.
>>2795270
The N64DD didn't come out when the GameCube did.

Do you fuckers seriously not have reading comprehension
>>
>>2795389
I don't think he's arguing what you think he's arguing.

He's arguing how ridiculous it was that Sega kept putting the Genesis everywhere instead of moving on.

Really, it's what killed Sega.
>>
>>2796328
I don't understand what you're talking about. The Sega CD was a pointless attempt to extend the life of the Genesis, and the Super Nintendo did fine without a CD Addon. Genesis was in too many markets with too much product. There was really no point to stuff the Sega Genesis into a handheld right after their Game Gear failed.
>>
>>2796370
This.
Sega went "Genesis crazy" and were trying to extend the life of the Genesis as much as possible. The 32X was the worst possible example of this. Instead of transitioning the Genesis properly, they tried to delay it's demise and really fucked up the Saturn in North America by doing this. It's clear Sega should have let the Genesis go with far fewer revisions and pointless addons than they ended up producing. They were scrambling for every single market and trying to make the Genesis be something it wasn't. A multi-generational console that had a bunch of capabilities it had no chance of fulfilling in any kind of a decent way.
>>
>>2796325
Well of course it was discontinued eventually, but that was years after the U.S. Saturn failed. SoJ held on to the Saturn as it did rather well in Japan. In America, Saturn was cancelled in 1998 but in Japan, it was cancelled in 2000. There were still games being released on Saturn after the Dreamcast came out. I know Street Fighter Zero 3 and Final Fight Revenge were some of the last ones.
>>
>>2796361
Here is my post:
>Nintendo and Sony

Here's what that was a reply to:

I wonder how long that will continue to confuse one or more people ITT.
>>
>>2796393
Yeah, but I'm not sure if you knew the slim editions of the Super Nintendo and the PlayStation were not attempts by the company to revitalize or keep the brand going. They were just cheap alternatives.

That anon may or may not have known, I don't know, but posting
>Nintendo and Sony did it one time, because their past generation console was still very popular and they wanted to offer updated technology/smaller consoles
vs
>Sega Genesis was repackaged and re bundled to extend it's lifespan and to improve it's power over other consoles so it could stay relevant and keep competing while the Saturn was already out
>>
>>2796380
Kalinske was obsessed with two things: (1) low pricing and (2) Genesis remaining the center of the universe because it was still selling.

Those two things gave birth to 32X. Of Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, and Neptune, only two were released. Of those, one was a ridiculous failure, and the other died a fairly quick death after moderate success. Sega's problem was that they were pre-hyping all four of them and seriously under-delivered.

>>2796405
I posted three words in response to a dumb question. From those three words, somebody's been trying to instigate an argument out of me for the better part of a day by putting words in my mouth, trying to figure out what I meant. From those three words. Nintendo and Sony. I've been having fun with that.
>>
File: JohnnyTurbo.jpg (91KB, 274x294px) Image search: [Google]
JohnnyTurbo.jpg
91KB, 274x294px
Why did NEC do this...

Look at this nightmare.

What in the holy mother of fuck were they thinking.

Why did NEC kill itself
>>
>>2796438
They were fucking retarded and didn't use Bonk.
>>
>>2796370
The SCD was never meant to be an extension of the Genesis' life, I'm not sure where you get this opinion from. It was intended to help Sega catch up with NEC, who released the PC Engine CD back in 88. The Sega Mega Cd came out in 1991 and it was almost right after Nintendo ran to Sony to develop their own CD console. While Sony was busy developing the SNES cd, they found out Nintendo went to Phillips to ask them to make an SNES CD as well. Sony told Nintendo to fuck off and went and developed the PlayStation out of spite. Phillips went ahead with their version of the SNESCD and released it as the CDI, which was one of the worst things to ever happen.

You see, Nintendo DID try to jump on the cd bandwagon, and failed. The Sega CD did sell enough to turn a profit, it was just not as successful as Sega hoped. But it was not really pointless by any means.

Now a pointless add-on would be the 32X. Of course, a lot of its failure stemmed from poor communication between SoA and SoJ. Sega of America wanted to ride the 32X and Neptune for a couple of years to get their foot in the 32-bit door. Sega of Japan considered the Mega Drive to be a flop and wanted to move on to something totally different, so they finished the Saturn early. It was after SoA was geared up for the 32X release that SoJ informed them they would have to start selling the Saturn in a few months.
>>
>>2796438
kek, that was based on a real guy at TTI.
>>
>>2796438
Because NEC/TTI was managed by out-of-touch geriatric Japanese business men who had no idea how to market their system in the US. They saw Sega getting away with bashing Nintendo in their ads and assumed it would work for them too. The problem is that Sega's bashing of Nintendo work because they mostly made fun of their kiddy/nerdy image. Kids didn't give a shit if the TurboGrafx CD came out before the Sega CD and that made their mascot seem like an autistic manchild arguing with trolls on imageboards pointing this shit out.

It's the same reason why they made TurboGrafx 16 bigger than the PC Engine without adding anything to compensate for the wasted real estate like RCA jacks and fucking extra controller ports.
>>
>>2796438
"Yeah, so he's kinda like Mario but with a laser! And he's got a sideways hat like the kids! And he says being first is more important than being successful!"

"Great work. We're paying you with free copies of Fighting Street."
>>
>>2796490
It's also the reason TG16 controller cords were only about 4' long.
>>
>>2796454
What is the point of making shit up as you go along like this? Is it fun?

Sweet merciful shit, son. You need to find a fanfic board where you can write alternate universe histories or something because your sense of history is all exotic kinds of fucked up.
>>
>>2796584
You gotta love 4chan logic. Do research on video game history from credible resources yet opinion still overrides fact. You won't even tell me what you don't agree with, you just give the chickenshit, "Ur rong cuz wat I think iz rite"
>>
>>2794345
Saturn was, but that's because the 32X VDP is strictly for managing the framebuffer. No background drawing (generally done with the Genesis VDP), no sprites, no polygons -- all that shit is done in software (which is why most 32X 3D games were flatshaded, it was much faster to do that in software, the two texture-mapped 32X games (Metal Head and Darxide) run like dogshit).

the Neptune would have been a pain in the dick to code for like the 32X actually was (the 32X's dual CPU architecture has just about all of the flaws that the Saturn does, namely the CPUs climbing over each other trying to access resources and no nice way to coordinate them, also you have a whole fucking Genesis to work with and the Genesis bus to slow shit down)

also, cartridges lol
>>
>>2796490
No redesign for the North American market will ever piss me off more than the TurboGrafx-16.
>>
>>2796454
>>2796619
You're strange but harmless.
>>
>>2796454
>The SCD was never meant to be an extension of the Genesis' life, I'm not sure where you get this opinion from

What the fuck am I reading.
>>
>>2796454
>The SCD was never meant to be an extension of the Genesis' life, I'm not sure where you get this opinion from.

It doesn't seem unreasonable to think that as it was an add-on for the Mega Drive/Genesis and the people who bought them already owned the system and were likely looking to get more enjoyment out of it.
>>
>>2794991
The closest thing to what SEGA did would be the entire Gameboy lineup. Which didn't end up so bad because everything was released in big space, and nothing was that special.

Its shame there isn't anything on the top of google, because it ignores all the revisions except partially for GBA.
>>
>>2799902
Game Boy (1989)
Game Boy Pocket (1996)
Game Boy Light (1998)
Game Boy Color (1998)
>>
>>2796669
SCD was launched in 1991 when the Mega Drive was barely 3 years old. It was made to compete with the PC Engine CD, I'm sure they'd have loved for it to have become a runaway hit that would be supported into the late 90s, but that wasn't its purpose when it was made.
>>
>>2796454
>It was intended to help Sega catch up with NEC
And they screwed all up by focusing on shitty american gimmicks cause mah FMV DUDE!

meanwhile PC engine had fucking games!
Thread posts: 137
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.