[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Want to play Deus Ex >Remember that it's fucking

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 12

File: denton.png (268KB, 432x454px) Image search: [Google]
denton.png
268KB, 432x454px
>Want to play Deus Ex

>Remember that it's fucking hideous

Why must such a good game be so ugly? And I don't mean graphically (although that is also true) I mean art direction wise. The game is actively repulsive to look at, and so many things in the game look stupid

"Good games with shit tier asethetics" thread I guess.
>>
>>2790456
Compared to what? The art direction is pretty standard. I'm not sure what makes it so terrible for you.
>>
>>2790463

The guns are ugly, the clothes look ridiculous, the only saving grace environmental wise is the section in hell's kitchen (felt really 1970's. Reminds me of taxi driver) besides that everything just looks boring.
>>
It's gorgeous compared to Morrowind
>>
The art direction is fantastic. Grimy and realistic, not muh shiny blinking lights everywhere.
>>
>>2790456
Did you even visit Hong Kong yet?
>>
>>2790716
can u not?
>>
Being ugly isn't a big problem in my opinion. The real issue with Deus Ex is the horribly clunky combat. It's a good thing I like doing stealth runs otherwise that might have kept me from playing the game.
The voice acting sounds like shit too.
>>
>>2790743
what a shame
>>
>>2790456
Get HDTP and New Vision. If visual design of the levels is so bad, also get Revision. Problem solved, modding community to the rescue.
>>
>>2790456
Also the reason why that is, is because concept artists where trying to go for way too realistic look than was possible with Unreal Engine and 2000's tech. System Shock was in the same era and everything struck uncanny valley to look properly creepy, in Unreal Tournament everything is stylized and looks like in a 90's comic book, but Deus Ex tries to be too realistic for it's own good.
>>
nice hairline denton
>>
>>2790823
Even if it was trying to be realistic it looks nothing like it. All these unreal engine games look similar enough to me.
>>
>>2790716
>implying Morrowind didn't have exquisite art direction
>>
Isn't that New Vision mod available now?
>>
>>2790743
Your ears aren't augmented?
>>
>>2790456

I like the character models. World is a little bland. But whatever.

>>2790716

Bethesda makes hideous games with a shitty engine. They're STILL making games on that awful Gambryo engine.

>>2790743
>The voice acting sounds like shit too.

I don't know why many complain about that. A lot of the voices are great. It's only the awful fake accents they put on in France and Hong Kong that are bad.
>>
>>2790743
Am I the only one that thought the voice acting was great in it's own way? I just found it hilarious. Made me love the game even more
>>
>>2791276

JC Denton is hilarious. This smug 50 billion dollar man, who goes from naive observer to "okay, whatever, let's see where this crazy goes".
>>
I found the environment incredibly immersive, but then I was playing DX when it came out. Only thing environmentally I didn't like was Hong Kong, whole section of the game feels out of place.
>>
>>2791284
I actually can't think of any characters in this game I seriously dislike. Most of them are either hilarious, interesting, or cool when they're supposed to be.

I also really like the level design.

It's kind of like a western Metal Gear Solid
>>
Are we allowed to talk about Deus ex now?

I thought Diablo 2, Red alert 2 and Thief 2 were the only exceptions to the 1999 rule becase they are 2000 sequels.
>>
>>2791362
Wasn't Deus Ex supposed to be released in fall 1999, but somehow ended up being released in summer of 2000? I think Deus Ex is /vr/ worthy.
>>
>>2790721

I like Grimy, too bad 90% of deus ex is in sekrit bases that look too star trek and not enough Peter Watts to be realistic, plus again the guns and fashion are terrible. Even how the guns are in gameplay sucks (Assault rifle that looks like an SMG and does less damage then a pistol? wtf)
>>
File: feast.jpg (86KB, 750x540px) Image search: [Google]
feast.jpg
86KB, 750x540px
back then I played deus ex with ~10 FPS using software renderer

deus ex was the game that taught me to use mouse, before deus ex I finished all FPSes with keyboard (half life, unreal, duke3d etc)
>>
File: denton.png (8KB, 255x354px) Image search: [Google]
denton.png
8KB, 255x354px
>a gep gun
>you're gonna burn alright
>what a shame
>my vision is augmented
>J.C. DENTON IN DA FRESH

The most quotable game of all time.
>>
>>2793947
I WANTED ORANGE. IT GAVE ME LEMON-LIME
>>
File: JCDenton.jpg (12KB, 243x280px) Image search: [Google]
JCDenton.jpg
12KB, 243x280px
>>2793947
A BOMB!
>>
File: dxx.jpg (64KB, 876x824px) Image search: [Google]
dxx.jpg
64KB, 876x824px
>tfw the coop mod will never be finished

Played the first level in coop with my two brothers and we made it to that gang leader, and then the game crashed. I know this game would totally lost its edge if played in coop, but in other hand it might bring some new elements to it. Imagine three agents approaching the main goal from three different directions, one tech guy, one weapons guy, and one explosives guy etc.
>>
I just wish the game was either a little longer or totally opened up earlier. The game really doesn't open itself to you completely until you reach Hong Kong, which is a long time for a game to hold back.
>>
>>2791362
Who said you couldn't?

>This board is for the discussion of classic, or "retro" games. Retro gaming means consoles, computer games, arcade games (including pinball) and any other forms of video games on platforms launched in 1999 and earlier. With the release of the 8th generation of consoles, the Sega Dreamcast will now be considered "retro", though the remainder of the sixth generation (Xbox, PS2, GameCube) will not.

It's the platform that it was launched on that determines whether it's retro or not, not the exact launch date of the game. It's why threads for things like Baldur's Gate 2, Vagrant Story, Thief II, Majora's Mask, Tomb Raider, Final Fantasy IX and a shitton of other 2000+ release titles are discussed here constantly.

Only people who skim the sticky autistically bitch about the games and sit there wondering why those threads don't get deleted.
>>
>>2796110
except for pc, newfag

i wish this thread was deleted and mods acted more strict just so pieces of shit like this wouldn't show up and be a smart-ass
>>
>>2791062
I don't know if you're joking or not, but Morrowind did actually have pretty decent art direction if you look at the concept art, it just didn't translate well to 3D.
>>
>>2796143
>newfag

I hate it when newposters come in, spout obviously wrong information, then call people contradicting them newfags.

Icewind Dale, Baldur's Gate II, Thief II, Runescape, Gothic, Planescape, Black & White, hell even Morrowind and Neverwinter Nights (2002+), that get made and stay on for hundreds of posts, sometimes with posts in them being moderated and don't get deleted.

Lurk moar.
>>
>>2796069
you know a multiplayer Deus Ex game where you just play as ordinary augmented mercenaries instead of someone SUPER SPECIAL might be really fun

saving up money, buying more augs, earning reputation and infamy for your mercenary group
>>
>>2790456
What a shame.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DAPXMZk2iw
>>
>>2794118
I HAVE SEEN SAT HE KNOWS SE PROCEDURE OF A GOOD PRAIRIE DOG TOWN
>>
File: james.jpg (114KB, 597x470px) Image search: [Google]
james.jpg
114KB, 597x470px
Deus Ex is one of the greatest games ever made, if not THE greatest game ever made. Even after 5 playthroughs I still keep finding new locations and features I didn't even know existed. Like, did you know you can cool drinks with a fire extinguisher? Or did you know there's a sunken cargo ship somewhere under the docks of first level?

Also, how come Deus Ex is sometimes considered as retro and sometimes not? I don't think DX has been granted a special permission like Dreamcast has. The rules of this board make no sense, they're so inconsistent:
>make a thread about old internet, it gets deleted
>few months later someone creates a /vr/ internet thread about old web, it stays alive for a while and dies naturally after hundreds of posts
>make a new /vr/ internet thread few days later, it gets removed for not being /vr/

>thread about Deus Ex thread, game released in 2000 is not /vr/, thread gets deleted
>someone else makes Deus Ex thread few months later (this thread), it's not deleted even after 3 days

>buying/selling/fleamarkets/latest picks thread is alive for weeks
>make a thread about buying/selling retro vidya, it gets deleted even when it's literally about retro vidya

>/vr/ magazine advert thread is ok
>suddenly /vr/ magazine advert thread is not ok
>bit later /vr/ magazine advert thread is ok and stays up for weeks

>CRT threads are ok
>suddenly CRT threads are not ok
>suddenly some CRT thread stays up for weeks

>thread about sightings of retro vidya in movies/TV, gets removed almost immediately
>thread about sightings of retro vidya in movies/TV, stays up for weeks

What the fuck is this shit? I have no problem with strict rules, but jesus christ I would really appreciate some consistency. It really feels like there's 10 mods patrolling this board and they all have contradicting views on what is retro and what is not. Sorry for meta but this shit really bothers me.
>>
>>2797225

As I have said many times before: the Janitors are fucking faggots. The only reason I put up with them is that the awesomeness of this board outweighs their bullshit. With /v/ increasingly leaking, it's starting to become a close thing though.
>>
>>2797225
>I don't think DX has been granted a special permission

You haven't been here long enough, then. DX and Diablo 2 make regular assistances here

>like Dreamcast has
Oh, you're one of those faggots who think a console released in 1998 doesn't qualify for the pre-2000 rule. Yet you want to argue about the rules.
>>
Back to OPs topic

X-Com Apocalypse is a fucking awesome game with an equally HORRIBLE art direction
>>
>>2797263
No no I totally think Deus Ex belongs here, it's just the inconsistency that pisses me off. I sometimes want to discuss about DX but I don't even bother making a thread because there is no way of knowing if it's going to be deleted or not.
>>
File: dx6.png (2MB, 1000x1394px) Image search: [Google]
dx6.png
2MB, 1000x1394px
Talking about Deus Ex, has anyone tried the New Vision mod? It looks pretty cool, but I heard they took a bit too much freedom when recreating the levels. I noticed from the trailer that the intro is completely missing that iconic hand holding earth scene and that kinda bugs me.
>>
>>2790456
everyone looks like they're being squished by their hitboxes
>>
>>2796181
it really sucked how in human revolution they established that there were a shitload of downsides to getting augmented, and then had you play as the one guy who can take augs with no consequences at all
>>
https://youtu.be/m9tgNezO9uQ?t=274

"I'll jack you into a mouse"
>>
>>2790456
just play Deus Ex: Human Revolution

gorgeous looking game.
>>
Last year on a forum I frequent a bunch of members got into Deus Ex: Human Revolution. I asked if they'd ever played the original, and most hadn't. We organised a playthrough with about 4 forum members playing the game for the first time and myself replaying it for the first time in ages.

It was really fun seeing the different approaches to how we played and seeing reactions from people who never experienced it before. Everyone fell in love with it and liked it better than HR. It was a good time.
>>
>>2797225
4chan's moderation is 4chan's biggest problem right now.
Remember what happened on /a/ some weeks ago? if Hiro didn't act /a/ would have been broken in half, with a good part of the userbase possibly migrating, and all because a cocky mod that didn't know the board's history.
>>
>>2799150

moderation is nearly every forum's biggest problem always
>>
>>2792863
>Half Life with a keyboard
Jesus, how horrifying. What difficulty did you play on?
>>
>>2796069
If System Shock 2 were of any indication, DX co-op would be hell fun even if the whole game breaks.
>>
>>2799150
What happened to /a/?
>>
>>2799095
Original: RPG with FPS/Stealyh elements
HR: FPS with RPG elements.

Very different game plays. Original felt more open and RPGish. HR forced you to play how they wanted you to play.
>>
>>2799150
Okay this I gotta hear, what happened? Did someone make a Naruto thread and report all the newfags who can't use the hide button? Knowing /a/ it was probably something like that.
>>
>>2792863
I still like to play Doom with just a keyboard, but I don't understand how it's even possible to play an FPS that's actually 3d like that.
>>
>>2797308
All agree with this mag, it did suprise me to see blinking in a 3d game
>>
>>2799150
What happened?
>>
>>2799150
God damnit you cant tease us with this /a/ shit and then not deliver.
>>
>>2796110
The sticky makes a clear distinction between PC being its own thing and platforms being for consoles. But whatever it's clear mods either are clueless when some PC games came out or just don't care if they were released really early in 2000.
>>
>>2799528
>>2799717
>>2799789
>>2800034
They allowed loli causing /tv/ to leak in posting real loli.
>>
File: 1429875198399.png (22KB, 320x242px) Image search: [Google]
1429875198399.png
22KB, 320x242px
>>2800051
SERIOUSLY!? How fucking autistic can some of the newfags on this site be?
>>
>>2797225
The janitor here just deletes whatever has an opinion they don't like. That's why we will end up with GBA and PS2 threads that stay up for days but actual threads for games released before 99 get deleted in a mere instant. Really wanna test this? Go make a blatant rule breaking thread then go make a post in the Doom general praising Brutal Doom and see which gets deleted first. The answer is more shocking than you think.
>>
File: city on fire.jpg (58KB, 300x400px) Image search: [Google]
city on fire.jpg
58KB, 300x400px
>>2799095

HR is too flashy I feel. Except in the hengsha part I didn't really get that "Gritty 1970's mean streets" feeling that I got with a few levels in Deus Ex

Essentially I'm looking for a game version of Pic Related (asethetics/theme wise)
>>
>>2799095
If I wanna look at a lot of piss I'd just go to a Walmart restroom.
>>
algún latino
>>
terminemos la guerra
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (67KB, 426x599px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
67KB, 426x599px
>>2796110
Oh cool that means we can discuss Doom 3 since Windows 2000 was technically a platform released in 1999.
>>
>>2790716
I think it was mostly due to the shitty engine tho, cause the concept art and stuff looks gr8.
>>
File: Ultima_Martian_Dreams_(DOS)_14.png (5KB, 320x200px) Image search: [Google]
Ultima_Martian_Dreams_(DOS)_14.png
5KB, 320x200px
>>2794178
>>
Deus Ex's worst flaw is dragging on too much
>>
>>2790716
>>2791062
>Brown & dark green: the game
>exquisite art direction
>>
>>2791362
Who cares, it's not like /v/ wants to discuss it anymore
>>
>>2800090
No, because it is a computer game and it was released past 1999 as outlined in the sticky.

You guys keep trying to sneak past it by doing this whole "well windows is a platform!!" end around, but the sticky already addressed PC games in an earlier clause. The platform rule is intended to cover things like tamagochis and Tiger electronics and things that aren't consoles or the traditional handhelds, not versions of Windows. That's why the rule says consoles (intending all games for retro consoles), and specifically computer games (intending only games before 2000).

Yes, this rule is applied incorrectly when we allow D2 and DX threads. Deal with it. If you don't like it, report it - it gets reported enough times it'll stop forever.
>>
>>2801186
I was being sarcastic in that post m8.
>>
>This board is for the discussion of classic, or "retro" games. Retro gaming means consoles, computer games, arcade games (including pinball) and any other f̲o̲r̲m̲s̲ ̲o̲f̲ ̲v̲i̲d̲e̲o̲ ̲g̲a̲m̲e̲s̲ ̲o̲n̲ ̲p̲l̲a̲t̲f̲o̲r̲m̲s̲ ̲l̲a̲u̲n̲c̲h̲e̲d̲ ̲i̲n̲ ̲1̲9̲9̲9̲ and earlier.
>>
How is it that a 16 year old game is retro?
Thread posts: 77
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.