[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I have $100 in birthday money and I want to buy a new retro system

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 6

File: 123.jpg (358KB, 600x550px) Image search: [Google]
123.jpg
358KB, 600x550px
I have $100 in birthday money and I want to buy a new retro system to celebrate this new year. I already own a Dreamcast, SNES, N64, and an Atari2600 but I would like to extend my retro gaming collection but be able to stretch this money as much as possible. I'm torn between the Sega Saturn and the NES but those can get pricey and I am open to suggestions.

Which retro systems to you recommend /vr/?
>>
>>2789351
Considering the money you have and the consoles you already have you should definitely be getting a Genesis next, either a model 1 and a Chinese Everdrive to go with it or an integrated CD system like a CDX or X'Eye
>>
>>2789359
I'm a nintendrone and I agree with this guy 100%.
>>
Get a Mega Drive and find Gunstar Heroes, too, that's the best game on the system and one of the best games ever made. You'll also be able to play Master System games on it with a Master System Converter.
I'd only recommend a Saturn if you could speak Japanese.
>>
>>2789375
Reminder: Everdrive allows you to also play Master System games without an adapter
>>
>>2789380
You mean Master System? Obviously a Mega Drive will play Mega Drive games fine, unless it's a western Mega Drive trying to play Japanese Mega Drive games, because they don't fit.
>>
Buy a Wii and hack it. Bam, now you have like 5 retro systems in 1.
>>
>>2789394
>5
Try 30. Some people don't want to emulate though and that's fine. Chances are OP already has a Wii bought for him when he was little since he's still getting birthday money.
>>
>>2789420
>Chances are OP already has a Wii bought for him when he was little since he's still getting birthday money.
Was there any need to be a cunt? If anything you look like the immature child insulting people for no reason.
>>
>>2789394
>emulation exists
Stop the presses

>>2789425
Nothing actually wrong with being young

I guess

>>2789359
Genesis is cheap and great but I think the NES is a fine choice as well
>>
File: 3do.jpg (19KB, 522x295px) Image search: [Google]
3do.jpg
19KB, 522x295px
Get a 3do

> Under rated library
> Burning games is doable with a lack of drm
> One controller port so great for your lack of friends
> buy a dreamcast
>>
File: image06.jpg (248KB, 1043x1270px) Image search: [Google]
image06.jpg
248KB, 1043x1270px
>>2789425
>>
>>2789434
Master System would be a better choice than NES. It's much easier to find cheap, good games for. But I only know the Australian market.
>>
Get a retron 5, the wife will love it
>>
>>2789445

SMS is pretty rare to find stuff for "in the wild" in the US in my experience.

NES is still abundant, you can find uncommon stuff cheap at flea markets and garage sales still. Plus it's relatively cheap

I would definitely NOT recommend a Saturn or Dreamcast on a budget, especially Saturn, especially if you can't read Japanese. Japanese Saturn isn't so bad but collecting Saturn in the west will make you cry
>>
>>2789454
I guess SMS to Australia is like NES to Americans. Funny how that worked out.
I also collect Saturn, and it is painful. There's probably even less Saturn stuff in Australia, but at least it's pretty cheap to import from Japan.
>>
Sega Genesis
>>
>>2789351
>$100 birthday money

You need to be 18 to post on 4chan.
>>
>>2789486
You don't have to be under 18 to get money on your birthday
>>
>>2789458

Yeah Japanese Saturn games are almost always significantly cheaper. Plus they don't have those longbox jewelcases that shatter if you look at them funny
>>
>>2789420
> Chances are OP already has a Wii bought for him when he was little since he's still getting birthday money.
There's no need to be upset, anon. It's not my fault I have family that love me and figure money is a better bet for me to get something I'll love and use rather then guess it for themselves.
>>2789486
>$100 birthday money
>You need to be 18 to post on 4chan.
Well now you're just knockin' people that don't have as much money as you do and calling them underageb&. Retired family members don't have as much money as when they were working and that's totally fine.
>>
>>2789359
> Chinese Everdrive to go with it or an integrated CD system like a CDX or X'Eye
The Chinese part raises my alarm bells. Is it good quality or will it break/ smell like burning plastic?
>a Genesis next model 1
Is this the best model for a Genesis? I know there were around three made but I'm not sure which one is best.
>>2789375
Thanks! I'll definitely consider it.
>>2789394
This is a good idea since the Wii is very easy to hack, but I want another retro system since I've began taking collecting seriously. There's something about the feel of a retro console that emulators just can't replicate.
>>2789440
What kinds of games does the 3DO have?
I already own a Dreamcast btw and play games on the regular.
>>2789445
>Master System would be a better choice than NES
But the NES has so many amazing classics anon.
>>2789454
>>2789491
Thanks for the recommendation. I want to get something that has significant value and I won't cry, but I've heard Saturn games can be burnt easily which intrigues me. I suppose I'll buy it in a few years when my Japanese isn't kindergarten-tier.
>>
File: snes.jpg (170KB, 730x584px) Image search: [Google]
snes.jpg
170KB, 730x584px
Bump.
>>
Save the money. Go to garage sales over the next year (and lifetime). Buy consoles and games for cheap as you find them, not FMV at a retro shop.

The only way to collect.
>>
100 isn't much if you want a console AND games as well...personally i'd just get some pricey titles for SNES i've been holding off on. or just get a gameboy instead. there are still good deals on gameboy carts out there.
>>
>>2789636
The SMS has lots of classics, too.
>>
Adding to the Genesis/Megadrive pile. Best bang for your buck.
>>
>>2789636

I'm not sure I'd call $100 "significant" in relation to collecting
>>
>>2789351
Saturn + mod-chip (even an idiot could install that mod) and a stack of CD-Rs
>>
>>2789351
>$100 in birthday money
Read the rules underage
I'd go for the Saturn over NES but have to agree with the other Anons that a MD/Genesis is the most cost efficient option.
>>
Atari Jaguar.
>>
Go with the one with the most game options! A Genesis/Mega Drive with the Master System converter, or the SNES/SFC w Super Game Boy, or the Retron-5. The Retron is handy for collecting games first, consoles later. Just my two cents.
>>
>>2790637
>Retron-5

Why would you want something that destroys carts
>>
>>2789904
Noted. Thank you very much for the tip. Now that I think more about it I will get the most out of my money if I do it that way, plus I get to have the thrill of a hunt and a good deal.
>>2789915
I've seen prices and I think it's enough if I'm thrifty enough. I already have a Gameboy Color that I forgot to mention so I suppose I could start collecting for that. I know that Gamegears tend to malfunction so I'm a bit wary to go that route.
>>2789936
I'll check it out anon.
>>2790027
Sure it is. $100 can buy a game system and a few games, or a lot of games depending on how cheap the games are for that system. Sure, I won't get everything all at once but I'm not going to live outside of my means. I tend to be conservative with my money, so whenever I get money people want me to use as a gift I would like to splurge.
>>2790030
I'll keep it in mind for the future. I recalibrated my Dreamcast lazor (so I wouldn't have to warm it up for 20 minutes before playing) and cleaned out my Atari2600 so I'm not scared to open these things up.
>>2790042
>Read the rules underage
You're giving someone a hard time that doesn't have as much money as you. You must be a pleasure to be around.
Thanks for the tips as well. I want to get the most out of the money that I have now.
>>2790175
LOL I'm not looking for a joke console.
>>2790637
I'll keep all of that in mind, but I'm always hesitant to try something like the Retron since I want to keep my games intact.
>>
>>2790661
Saturn modchip is literally 1-2 solder points depending.
>>
>>2790661
>$100 can buy a game system and a few games,

This isn't significant and $100 isn't a significant amount. Any system you pick will have several $100+ games that aren't even rare.
>>
>>2790661
>i don't always blog but when I do I do it on 4chan
>>
>>2790763
Alright that would be very easy to do. Soldering is so simple monkeys can do it.

Off topic, but I've been wanting to replace my batteries in my old GBC Pokemon games for a bit now.
>>2790775
>This isn't significant and $100 isn't a significant amount.
This statement is a subjective opinion m8. To me $100 is quite a bit of money that can get me some awesome games and a great console that I don't own yet. To you, you're horrible with money so you'd just pick the BUY IT NOW option on eBay and won't even look at the options elsewhere.
>Any system you pick will have several $100+ games that aren't even rare.
Yeah, if you just click the BUY IT NOW option on eBay where reseller scum forces people to spend more than the games are worth.
What are thrift stores? What are flea markets? What are garage sales? /vr/ has threads about great finds all the time which goes to show how a lot of anons are great at finding hidden treasures.

Who cares if you can't buy absolutely everything on a system all at the same time? I don't, but a spoiled rich kid would. Shit takes time, mon petit cherie.
>>
>>2791095
>To you, you're horrible with money so you'd just pick the BUY IT NOW option on eBay and won't even look at the options elsewhere.

That's a pretty big assumption based on actually nothing
>>
>>2791105
You said
>This isn't significant and $100 isn't a significant amount.
What conclusion would you draw from that statement m8? You suck with money. There's no shame, most people do.
>>
>>2791115

In the context of collecting retro games no, $100 isn't a significant amount of money.
>>
>>2791116
>$100 isn't a significant amount of money.
That's a subjective statement that presupposes to the audience what real collecting is. The money is only made if you're shitty at collecting and pay the eBay payout for each and every addition to your collection thus costing you an arm and a leg.
>>
>>2791123
>hat's a subjective statement

No it's a contextual statement.
>>
>>2791125
>No it's a contextual statement.
No it's a subjective statement. It's not my fault you're shit with money.
>>
>>2791140

Whatever makes you feel better man
>>
>>2791145
Whatever makes you feel better man.
>>
>>2789351
>I have $100 in birthday money
What's it like being 13?
>>
>>2789351
Atari 7800
Intellivision
>>
>>2791836
He'll tell us next year.
>>
File: 2015-11-12 20.18.54.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
2015-11-12 20.18.54.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
Which snes is considered better? I only need one and am planning on selling the other. Thanks /vr/y much.
>>
>>2791010
Replying to posts directed at you is considered blogging? How about you go fuck yourself off a cliff, you retarded nigger. I'll even bet you thought you were being "clever" with this absolutely unoriginal dogshit of a shitpost.
>>
>>2792190
The original has more output options so its generally considered better. The SNES mini is generally considered inferior and looks and feels cheap as fuck.
>>
Atari Lynx.

I'd say Jaguar, but figure the Lynx won't trigger as many meme babbys
>>
>>2791010
GTFO
>>
>>2792195
Replying to half the posts in a thread is blogging faggot. Relying to every post directed at you because you're so insecure is just retarded.
>>
File: derp.png (13KB, 435x142px) Image search: [Google]
derp.png
13KB, 435x142px
>>2792292
Believe it or not, there is a website where you can actually downvote content that upsets you and you can showcase your hot opinions and clearly superior web browsing habits for all to see! AMAZING! However, at this particular website you can merely hide a thread or not even reply to it, instead of doing something embarrassing like trying to police others for arbitrary reasons and generally being an insufferable faggot with no friends. Nigger.
>>
>>2792429
At this particular website you can also make fun of under age faggots blogging about their birthday money and watch how upset they get.
>>
>>2792673
>make fun of

And you call others underage, you immature twat.
>>
>>2793542
Just out of curiosity, why did you choose 4chan as the site to post this thread on?
>>
>>2793638
Because no one reads his tumblr
>>
>>2793638
People in /vr/ have solid opinions and really know their shit about retro gaming and how to get the most out of their dollar. I wasn't disappointed and got some solid advice on some good consoles.

It's a shame /v/ aka reddit has to leak in here to shitpost, but it can't be helped. I'll politely sage this thread sinec it's devolved into a shitfest at this point
>>
>>2793980
>>2793638
Not even my thread
>>
>>2794879
I was both the first person to post in this thread as well as the person who suggested you were likely to own a Wii. YOUR reactions are what gave the thread its flavor. If you want our knowledge, grow a thicker skin.
>>
I'm really sorry /v/ started leaking on you, OP. But the dude who says $100 ain't shit is totally correct.
Thread posts: 64
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.