[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why the third generation is sometimes considered a better generation

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

Why the third generation is sometimes considered a better generation than the fourth gen?
>>
Had a lot of firsts
Saved gaming
etc
>>
>>2789030
Is this a common opinion? Most people I know that are in to retro readily admit that most games on the NES are buggy and a bit lifeless and while the Master System had a lot of great games, it seems like it's often not factored into peoples assessment of the 8-bit generation. Of course there are a lot of good and revolutionary games, but the level of quality increased exponentially with the 16-bit generation
>>
>>5276306
Same reason people ever think X instead of Y.

Opinions.
>>
Why the fourth generation is sometimes considered a better generation than the eighth gen?
>>
>>2789289
Because it is.
>>
>>2789289
>than the eighth gen?
Not retro topic.
>>
>>2789030
I'm going to assume you're strictly talking about the NES here, simply due to its ubiquity during the period

The graphics are charming to some, the greats of the time have tight gameplay, great music, and are just fun to play. I feel like the 4th gen lost a little bit of charm with the better graphics.
>>
>>2789430
Games got longer and more complicated, it had its pluses and minuses.

But this OP man

>why would you like old games better ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Dude
>>
There are an abundance of stellar games in many genres, including games that were multi-genre. Plus most games tend to be quite challenging, something that the 4th gen of games tended to not be.

4th gen games may look more aesthetically pleasing, but 3rd gen games are more pure and focused as games.
>>
>>2789034
>Saved gaming
I want this meme to end. Gaming was doing just fine outside of the usa.
>>
The Pear Generation is slightly better than the Lamp Generation.

Play whatever the fuck you want. If you're having fun than who cares.
>>
3rd Gen games are easier to asses from just a few minutes' play. Because of this, people are more likely to stop playing instead of "sticking with" something that ultimately doesn't deliver. In addition, the games tend to be short and the controls are often extremely simple. Because of this, the game is allowed to demand more skill and understanding. This leads to repeatability and heightened senses of accomplishment.

Also, not that many story focused games, so all that mattered was entertainment.
>>
>>2790078
>gaming was doing just fine outside the most important market

wew
>>
>>2789030

honestly I thought the 4th gen had substantially less fun games, besides big ones like Chrono Trigger, Super Metroid and Megaman X, everything else was a repeat of the 3rd gen only with bigger and bloatier sprites and floatier gameplay. Very few games looked aesthetically pleasing imo and everything had this dirty ugly look to it, especially the games that used prerendered sprites, it was just a visual mess overall.
>>
>>2792294
>the most important market
according to fucking self-centered 'muricans
>>
>>2790078
It's not a meme.

I would say something wittier and meaner, but I'm not bothering.

Video games were saved by what Nintendo did. Disagreeable as some people found it.
>>
>>2792313

You consume our media, follow our trends, follow our elections. We're all americans, mate :^)
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.