[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Okay /vr/ ... Think back to when you were a kid. Was there any

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 9

File: blitzcomics.jpg (332KB, 631x612px) Image search: [Google]
blitzcomics.jpg
332KB, 631x612px
Okay /vr/ ... Think back to when you were a kid.

Was there any game you saw n a magazine (preview, review, ads, whatevs), and you got super interested in it and wanted to play it really bad, but for whatever reason you never got to play it as a kid ?

What game was it ?
Did you finally get to play it as an adult?
Did it meet your expectations, or were you disappointed ?

Come /vr/ share your stories ...
>>
I think I got the most stupid story.

I wanted Pokemon Gold/Silver and never got it, because I thought it wouldn't play on my Game Boy...Color. I mostly owned DMG games for my GBC, so I thought the "Color" in the name was some sort of joke and then my friend got the GBA along with Silver and so I assumed G/S are GBA titles. Never questioned that assumption.

Later I got a GBASP with Ruby and I think it was better this way. The leap in graphics and pokedex volume was amazing to me. Made of the disappointments were spared from me since I never played the second gen.
>>
File: popolocrois_01.jpg (79KB, 640x351px) Image search: [Google]
popolocrois_01.jpg
79KB, 640x351px
>>2786153
I mentioned this in another thread so it's on my mind. Not as a kid, but I used to pour over Newtype magazines from Japan and one of the games that really caught my eye was a JRPG with amazing art. I wanted to play it so very badly but they weren't translating it.

I never got anywhere near finishing it and probably never will.
>>
File: 1445783055780.png (32KB, 256x256px) Image search: [Google]
1445783055780.png
32KB, 256x256px
Black & White. According to the reviews it was the best game ever.
I played it years later.
It was terrible.
>>
I was reading about colonization and oggaling the pics years before I played it. And it was everything and more, our at least good enough I played it for years. And black and white is pretty good game.
>>
>>2786171
I love the colonial period, so I loved it.
>>
File: black-and-white.jpg (36KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
black-and-white.jpg
36KB, 500x375px
>>2786164
Wow really? I loved the heck out of that game. For sure it was kind of broken and in some ways the first island is the most fun. But still, it was so crazy when it came out.

I taught my sheep avatar to shit in the food supplies of other towns and slowly poison them all. Or when there was a town I wanted but didn't really care about, it would cast lighting bolts all over the place, burning the town down. Then with almost everyone dead, would make it rain and anyone left alive would be so in awe that they were now my worshipers.

I also found it was faster to gain god power by sacrificing children than any other way. So I made all of my followers into either worshipers or breeders. No one needed to farm or collect wood because I would create that for them. All they needed to do was keep worshiping and fucking so I could throw their kids on the pyre.

No denying it's a broken mess, but holy shit did I have a lot of fun with that game.
>>
>>2786181
I like how some people would crawl down to the underworld when they died, and some would float to heaven when they died.
>>
File: fatfury3.jpg (23KB, 268x188px) Image search: [Google]
fatfury3.jpg
23KB, 268x188px
I was always interested in the Fatal Fury games, but I never got to play 'em because I had to waste my childhood in a shithole.
Anyway... I used to spend lots of time reading articles on the Fatal Fury games, and was very interested in them. Fuck, I even memorized the names of all the characters and lots of the moves even though I never got to play one back then.

I finally got to play'em this year.
I started with the first two, I enjoyed them but wasn't very impressed.
Then I played Fatal Fury 3.
Holy shit! It's fucking awesome !
It was even better than I expected.
The best part was, when I started fighting Franco Bash, my mind was flooded with all the memories of looking at screen in mags and daydreaming about the games.
>>
>>2786181
I hated it.
The only part i liked it was throwing people and throwing feces at people.
The rest of it was an eternal and more than slow tutorial without any strategy.
I must say i really wanted to like that game, but maybe expectations were to high.
>>
>>2786190
Expectations and then also waiting many years to play it probably didn't help. I had very few expectations when it came out, it was just this bizarre game I took a chance on then then really got into.

Certainly though if it was hyped up I could see it being disappointing. Also if you were wanting more of a traditional strategy game.
>>
>>2786181
>All they needed to do was keep worshiping and fucking so I could throw their kids on the pyre.

You sir are an awesome god.
Would totally worship you n shit dude.
>>
>>2786198
Well, in those years it was literally considered the best game on videogame history in some very popular magazine in my country.
>>
Robotech Crystal Dreams

It got cancelled ;_;
>>
>>2786198
but you get to throw poo? You can even train a creature to throw poo?
>>
Chrono Cross

I actually got it after a while, but damn it didn't compare to how crazy it sounded in the guide/walkthrough
>>
>>2786208
What country are you from and what magazines? Even in England I can't imagine it would be seen as that good. I remember it having a fairly mixed reception. Another Molyneux project with great ideas but that was ultimately over ambitious.

I certainly don't know anyone or remember reviews that held it up as a genuine masterpiece or anything.

>>2786212
Indeed you can, and it's GREAT!

Also my creature's favorite food was little girls, but eating too many children will give them indigestion which is pretty funny.
>>
>>2786265
Spain.
>>
>>2786292
Weird! I wonder if that's like Germans having a thing for Hasselhoff's singing career. Anyways, most of the rest of the world saw it as an interesting but deeply flawed game.
>>
File: sonic-and-knuckles.jpg (76KB, 550x280px) Image search: [Google]
sonic-and-knuckles.jpg
76KB, 550x280px
The Sears or JC Pennies near me when I was growing up had a poster for Sonic and Knuckles that was just this emblem, except it was faded so the red looked more like a purplish magenta. It made me think Knuckles was some sorta ninja girl like the ninjas from Kirby Superstar and it really made me want to play it. Except my family were simple god fearing Nintendo folk so I didn't get the chance to play it until I was in high school.
>>
>>2786342
The oldest and most famous videogame magazine here was Micromania. They were like 25 years old and for the first time in it's history they were giving the maximum score (100/100). To motherfucking Black & White.
At the same time games like Deus Ex or Gothic got a 70.
Now i see how shitty were those reviews.
>>
Those stupid fucking SuperFX games that came out after Starfox because they were stupid expensive in the UK, I think Dirt Race FX was like £80 which back then cost almost as much as a SNES.

Fuck Nintendo, I'm glad Sony fucked them over so hard, fuckers deserved it 100x over, the amount of shit they pulled back then.
>>
>>2786380
Okay yeah, 100% for Black and White is bullshit. Expecting that and then playing the game I can totally get your disappointment. I would say it's maybe a 65-70. Tons of fun, but deeply flawed.
>>
>>2786161
You went back and played Gold or Silver eventually, right?
>>
File: dx6.png (2MB, 1000x1394px) Image search: [Google]
dx6.png
2MB, 1000x1394px
>X-COM
Saw it on a magazine my older brother bought and it looked pretty sweet. Never got to play it even though my brother played it with his friends, I never saw a glimpse of it until I was in my 20s. I bought that Humble Bundle which included all the classic X-COM games and some others and now they're on my steam. It's a preddy nice game, hard as balls, but nice.

>Day of the Tentacle
Again, saw it on a magazine my older brother bought. He eventually got a copy from his friend, but he played it when it was my bedtime and I never saw him play it. When he was done playing it, I asked if I could play it, and he deleted it just so that I couldn't play it because he's an asshole brother like that sometimes.
Played it yeeeears later when I learned how to download vidya from online and played it through. It's good, didn't like it as much as I liked Sam & Max and Monkey Island.

>Litil Divil
Brother's magazine, advert, looked interesting. Got a free steam key for it from indiegala not too long ago. It sucks ass. I told my brother about it and he got a free key as well, and then I asked if he remembered the game from that one magazine and he said yes.

>Deus Ex
(Barely /vr/, I know) I saw the previews, the screenshots, the concept art waayyy before it was released and I was hyped as fuck. I was already a huge Half-Life fan and the idea of open world Half-Life type of game just blew my mind. The reviews and previews made this game sound like the dream game where you can do anything you want. I never got my hands on this game until 2012, and goddamn it's the single greatest game I have ever played. I'm sure I would've died from amaze if I had experienced it back when it was first released.
>>
I just posted this in another thread...

Nintendo Power's 3-part spread on Secret of Mana (Issues 62-64). I drooled over these issues for years before I picked up a copy.

http://www.seikens.com/gallery/secret-of-mana/
>>
>>2786153
Mischief Makers, never even played it. Those cheesy commercials got my attention, but my parents decided to to get me Yoshi's Story instead.
A legitimate copy of Contra: Hard Corps, only waaaay later in life via emulator did I play it.
>>
>>2786885
MM is a sweet game I love looking for all the yellow crystals.
>>
Riven. I loved Myst and I long for a day when I can actually play it on my computer since the non-GOG versions don't run, and the GOG version doesn't let me save.

I've wanted to play it since release and haven't made it past the first few screens. I even asked for help from /vr/ but nobody knew anything and the thread died. It's been so long I don't even want to play it anymore, there's no way it's going to live up to my now decades-old expectations.
>>
I wanted this game so bad when I was a kid. I ended up not playing it til I was 20 on an emulator.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.