[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

No one has love for the classic Tomb Raider games? I've

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: the_lost_library_1.jpg (42KB, 720x540px) Image search: [Google]
the_lost_library_1.jpg
42KB, 720x540px
No one has love for the classic Tomb Raider games?

I've been recently re-playing them, and it amazes me how very playable they still are (graphics aside obviously), and how large and complicated the areas are.
>>
horribly dated controls

these days I can get tits on the internet

not worth it
>>
I absolutely fucking adore the Tomb Raider games. Up until Last Revelation they're maximum comfy.
>>
>>2783808
4chan never was much enthusiastic over tomb raider games much.
The reboot games spawn some threads, but mostly due to (anti)sjw articles or for anti casual threads.

Personally I enjoyed TR4, Anniversary and Guardian Of Fun.

I quit TR4 halfway through, when I had to movw through 3 different levels for progression and lost track of what i'm supposed to do. Anniversary became repetitive halfway through the same stuff, just more complicated. I felt like I wouldn't aee anything new, just sink more time into the solutions.
Guardian of Fun is even more awesome if you play a 2nd time co-op aa Kane and Lynch
>>
I'm gonna get shat on but I think the pc port with quicksave scumming is the best way to experience it.
>>
>>2783817
The controls are fine as long as you use the D-pad instead of the analog stick
>>
The original Tomb Raider is a masterpiece. The sequels range from okay to bad. I didn't like the increased emphasis on urban environments.

>>2783817
>horribly dated controls
Why are you even here and not on /v/? Serious question.
>>
>>2783860
Not him, but there's a million seconds of lag when pressing the jump button. Granted it's a matter of getting used to it, but it's weird.
>>
>>2783860

Really? Personally I think the second one's the best followed by TR3.
>>
>>2783876
>Granted it's a matter of getting used to it

I think that's the problem with a lot of modern games who play old games, they just won't take the time to get used to it.
>>
>>2783883

When it comes to the PS1-era TR it only takes around 10 minutes to acclimate to the controls and environment, and from there you can play them all since they all used the same basic engine.

You gotta be seriously impatient to not be able to handle it.
>>
>>2783808
I replayed 1-3 last year, after playing Anniversary and the reboot (lol). I still enjoy them. They have a stiff, mechanical kind of 3D puzzle-platforming that no other game really copied and I like how rigid and consistent the moveset is. Every puzzle gives you the same pieces but it can still take a bit of time to figure out where to jump and grab and shimmy and all that.

Also, yeah, the big sprawling levels and feeling of isolation are pretty great.

TR1: best atmosphere.
TR2: really upped the game with the size and complexity of the layouts, levels like Temple of Xian and Barkhang Monastery are GOAT.
TR3: blegh, crawling slows down the game and poor attempts at being nonlinear make levels awkward. Plus this is the start of "psychopath Lara" who ruthlessly kills security guards just doing their jobs.

The Last Revelation: Haven't replayed this one yet, but I remember it having some of the best puzzles and traps in the series. Too many levels and too samey, though.
>>
>>2783840
>pc port with quicksave scumming
I never felt like unlimited saves hurt the games, because there is so much emphasis on puzzles and so many instant-death traps. 2 and 4 had infinite saves on the console versions, too, and it was fine. 3 was brutal with how stingy the save crystals are and how mean the game is.

1 isn't too bad with the save checkpoints because it's more straightforward than the other games.
>>
I've finished the first 5 during 2 months. Out of them, I liked 2 and 3 the best. The only problem I had with 2 was with how many armed enemies there were in most stages.

Didn't like 4 too much, and 5 was small, but fun.
>>
Lots of good Tomb Raider talk in here. Haters getting BTFO. Good times.

>>2783860
Mainly gotta agree with this guy though. That Christmas I got Tomb Raider and Resident Evil my mind was blown that THESE were the kind of games that 3D graphics could allow. and look what they do with them now

>>2784027
This guy's totally right that it's the armed enemies in the urban environments not the environments themselves that suck.

Really, sequels in general just try to freshen up the original magic but you'll never see St Francis's Folly for the first time again.
>>
>>2784020
Pretty much sums up my feelings on the series. Well said.
>>
Which plays the best? I remember not enjoying them because of how stiff and awkward the controls were.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.