[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Where do I start with Quake custom maps/campaigns? I've

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4

File: quake-review1.jpg (142KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
quake-review1.jpg
142KB, 800x600px
Where do I start with Quake custom maps/campaigns? I've only finished the base game and I'm looking for some "classics" to play.
>>
>>2775242
Beyond Belief
Zerstörer
Badpak
Contract Revoked
Contract Revoked: The Lost Chapters
Coagula
Ceremonial Circles
And All That Could Have Been
Insomnia
Numb Nimbus
Avanipaala Praasaada
Terra
Februus Depth
Concentric Devastation
IKSPQ series
Nastrond
Breakfast at Twilight
Warpspasm
Red 777
I Pity Thee Not
Nehahra
Travail
Soul of Evil + Indian Summer
Day of the Lords

More recently:
All the func_mapjams (perhaps not jam 4 as it didn't turn out well, though one of the maps is worth checking out) and all the retrojams.
Honey
Rubicon 2
Rubicon Rumble Pack
The Horde of Zendar
Are You Yet Living?
Backsteingotik
The Altar of Storms
Red Slammer
Runic Recycling
A Past and a Future Secret
Metal Monstrosity
Mainframe Mayhem
Subterranean Library
Conference of the Shamblers
Midnight Stalker

That should be enough for now.
>>
>>2775348
>Nehahra

A four and a half hour movie done in the Quake engine and I sat and watched all of it.
>>
>>2775348
Giving recommendation lists this long makes you a shitty recommendation-giver. You're doing nothing but stroking your ego about how many you can name.

A decent recommendation would be 3-5 in different styles with a brief description of what kind of map it is so OP can decide what sounds interesting.

Might as well just link to Quaddicted and tell OP to sort by rating:
https://www.quaddicted.com/reviews/
At least there he can read a review and see screenshots.
>>
>>2775242
Do you want stuff that's more like the base game, or do you want the craziest things the community has to offer?

For the latter, I would recommend The Marcher Fortress. It's a huge sprawling castle with multiple routes, lots to explore, and tons of enemies and traps.
>>
>>2775348
are these single map packs or episodes?
>>
Are there any editors or engines that allow me to make larger maps in Quake? I feel really constrained by the total map size in Worldcraft 3.1. I ran into the same issue when I remade my school in Team Fortress classic back in junior high.
>>
>>2775540
OP asked for recommendations, I gave recommendations.

>>2775579
Beyond Belief, Zerstörer, Badpak, Contract Revoked, IKSPQ, Terra, Nehahra, Travail, Soul of Evil and Warpspasm are campaigns of various length, with some having multiple episodes (Travail and Nehahra for example).

Others like Contract Revoked: The Lost Chapters, Rubicon 2, Rubicon Rumble Pack, Honey and the mapjams/retrojams are map packs that can be played in any order (though The Lost Chapters has a final map that can be accessed once all the maps have been beaten).
The rest are single releases.

>>2775587
Not that I'm aware of. You can build beyond the boundaries but it's not recommended, and you won't be able to get there in-game (you are 'teleported' at the other end of the boundary, more or less).
>>
>>2775242
www.quaddicted.com
>>
>>2775242
Have you done Mission Pack 1 yet? It's very worthwhile. Honestly I like it more than vanilla. And I like vanilla.
Mission Pack 2 is pretty poor though.
>>
>>2775540
Thank you. I always wondered why posts like that bothered me.
>>
>>2775540
there is a lot of great maps for quake, i think the longer the list the better, and it's not ego stroking. pretty much any quake gamer could list those.
>>
Am I the only one who plays with v_gunkick set to 0? Quake used to give me a headache and I realized it was from the screen shaking effect. When I play old FPS like this, Doom, Duke, etc. I want super-smooth movement and a steady view.
>>
>>2777008
Sounds like an option that I'd use. I don't think it's set in my current config but I'll probably slap it in there next to cl_bob 0 and cl_rollangle 0.
>>
Daily reminder that if you haven't re-vised your maps for transparent water you're a peasant.

Daily reminder that if you're using a muhgraffix engine like Dark Places you should probably go back to CoD.

Daily reminder that if you're using a copy of the soundtrack that hasn't been de-emphasised you're pig disgusting.

Daily reminder that you're not having fun unless you're having fun my way.
>>
File: 12536026665_ee2b1526b2_o.png (8KB, 369x300px) Image search: [Google]
12536026665_ee2b1526b2_o.png
8KB, 369x300px
>>2778912
>Daily reminder that if you haven't re-vised your maps for transparent water you're a peasant.
>>
gl_water alpha was added for a reason, friend. So people who couldn't afford a 3DFX card could cry about it being unfair.
>>
>>2779019
r_wateralpha even. Daily reminder that I'm the worst.
>>
>>2778912
My maps are always full VIS'd, unlike some. :^)
>>
>>2778912

The fuck is de-emphasized music?
>>
File: 83209_full.jpg (66KB, 651x1000px) Image search: [Google]
83209_full.jpg
66KB, 651x1000px
What mods and source port is used here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhzXKMqZBBc
>>
>>2778912
De emphasized music?
The fuck is wrong with you? Loud heavy metal is part of the show.
>>
>>2778912
>a copy of the soundtrack that hasn't been de-emphasised
don't even know what this means deku sensei
googling it now
>>
The one that was probably most significant to the community during the game's actual lifetime was Zerstorer.

The original id episodes are masterpieces though, and I recommend a lot of the time to play through them with different mods etc rather than playing as many user levels
>>
File: quakeguy.jpg (3KB, 126x121px) Image search: [Google]
quakeguy.jpg
3KB, 126x121px
>>2780787
>play through them with different mods etc rather than playing as many user levels
Gross opinion. Some people say this about Doom, too, and I don't get it--how are you supposed to appreciate the "masterpieces" of level design if you're constantly fucking with the balance of the map? This attitude also severely undervalues all the awesome maps the community has made. I feel like people that do this simply can't be bothered to find new maps to play, so they slap some weapon/enemy mods on there and call it a day, rather than because they honestly believe the original maps are superior.
>>
>>2780807
because you paly them with coop mods bruh

i'm playing a level pack i've never played right now in quake so i dunno watchu talkin about
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.