[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

alright /vr/ hear me out I've been trying to get into this

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 4

File: Grandia_coverart.jpg (69KB, 497x500px) Image search: [Google]
Grandia_coverart.jpg
69KB, 497x500px
alright /vr/ hear me out

I've been trying to get into this game for a long while now but I can't stand the English voices. I know there's an undub circulating out there and I actually gave it a try but the piece of shit still has the English combat voices.

Now, even after that I kept playing and fully enjoyed the game. Even got up to the ghost ship boss but the retarded English battle voices finally got to me and I had to drop the game.

Here I am once more many years later and there's rumors of a 100% English Text Japanese voices version out there but I can't find it for the life of me.

All I want to ask: does such a version even exist or am I being lied to?
>>
>English voices in my Japanese video games
Why is this allowed
>>
oh god you are so right! I couldn't continue after maybe 20 minutes its so terrible
>>
The dub is endearing tho.
>>
>>2774567
Just play with the sound off, man. Play your own music while you play.
>>
>>2774603
With nostalgia goggles you can brush it off, but this seems viable
>>
>>2774567
The Japanese voice acting is horrible too.

Though this game has some amazing music, all RPG music gets annoying after a while, so you might as well just put on your own music and play instead. It's what I've done with nearly every RPG I've played through at some point.
>>
>>2774567
The voice acting is hilariously bad, it's kinda endearing. Reminds me of 90s games/anime.
I doubt an undub exists, but I can't imagine the jap voice acting is much better. Just enjoy the cheese, or ignore it.
>>
I don't know why you're so timid about expressing a negative opinion on Grandia, OP. I've experienced the same irritation with the early Tales Of installments (goddamnit, Eternia!). It's hardly unheard of and I sympathize. I just turn off what I can of the English voice acting or (if the assholes don't include those kind of audio options) get the undub. After awhile it's easy to ignore that shit if you're not subjected to it every minute for several minutes straight (as with fully voiced cut scenes).
>>
>>2774567
>Here I am once more many years later and there's rumors of a 100% English Text Japanese voices version out there but I can't find it for the life of me
Do you mean an iso? Just google Grandia undub and the first result is a link to an iso with Jap voices.
Even if the voices aren't better, if you hate the english dub that much and can't understand japanese, you might manage to enjoy it. Grandia's a pretty good game, it's not great but I think it's very charming and the battle system is pretty nice.
>>
I don't even think the English voices are that bad. They're not amazing, but I think it fits the game, fine.
Having the Saturn version as well, I can't say I feel the Japanese voices are that much better.

Speaking in the undub... Does it use the Saturn version voices into a psx iso??
>>
I don't mind the voice acting, but this game in general is shit. Battle system is annoying and story is so boring I couldn't force myself to finish it.
>>
Grandia is really overrated. And yes, the voice acting sucks. Most voice acting of the PS1 era sucked, though, so that's to be expected.
>>
>>2774979
Battle system is the only thing I think doesn't suck about the game.
>>
Why can't people use google?

The undub has been out for ages, I remember playing it on my PSP a couple years ago.
>>
It's not great, but it's better than some others.

I played Star Ocean 2 to completion with that atrocious voice acting.

Grandia's voice acting is amazing by comparison.
>>
>>2776882
which games have bad voice acting?

imo most annoying is when everyone but the MC gets a VA
>>
File: image.jpg (61KB, 375x312px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
61KB, 375x312px
>>2774567
>there are people who don't play the vastly superior default Saturn version.
>2015

It's like you fags can't read Nip. I feel sorry for you if you love jrpgs and can't speak nip.
>>
>>2774903
Not him, but I know that it normally points to one with the battle voices.

A complete undub doesn't exist like it does for Star Ocean 2, Xenogears, or Wild Arms 2.

>>2774581
Hey, it was nice in Valkyrie Profile and MGS.
>>
>>2777329
Put another way... are there any games which were actually IMPROVED by voice acting? Wouldn't most games be just as good (or better) if there was no voice work in the game at all?
>>
>>2777671
The only time it's improved is when you're in an action game, and valuable information is being tossed to you. It's better than text at that point.

I hate RPGs with voiced dialog personally, I prefer reading it. The voice I imagine almost always beat out the VA's.
>>
>>2777621
Just because you know Japanese and prefer to play games on a superior-yet-wildly-unpopular console doesn't mean you have to be a fucking jerk, you know.
>>
File: ta82.jpg (105KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
ta82.jpg
105KB, 1024x768px
>>2777261
>It's not great, but it's better than some others.
It's definitely better than a lot of other PS games but still bad. Though I don't find any kind of voice acting would be bad enough to completely stop me from playing, but I understand it can be really jarring especially for long games (RPGs).
>>
>>2777671
>are there any games which were actually IMPROVED by voice acting?
Metal Gear Solid
>>
>>2777670
I really didn't like the voices in Valkyrie Profile.

Mostly because it uses all of the same VAs from the pokemon dub.

That and just some voices don't seem to match up with the character at all. Lezard in particular.

Also plenty of characters shared VAs, and it was always incredibly obvious.
>>
>>2777712
HOLY FUCK I REMEMBER THAT GAME

HAMMER GRILL WAS MY WAIFU i don't remember her name
>>
File: 524_hotd2.jpg (113KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
524_hotd2.jpg
113KB, 640x480px
>>2777671
>>
>>2777676
>your entire post
Perfectly stated. I agree with everything you said.

>>2777713
I'll give you that one.

>>2777762
Never played it.

>>2777670
Dude, no, VP's voice work wasn't good. I love that game but it would've been better without the VA.
>>
>replace best girl with a dirty fleabag
>>
>>2777712
>Thousand Arms
I've seen that game being mentioned a ton of times. Is it any good?
>>
>>2778417
>Thousand Arms
it has quite possibly the worst combat of all time.
>>
>>2778442
Well, thanks. I guess I'll avoid it then.
>>
>>2778417
>Is it any good?
Not really.
>>
>>2778442
I don't remember the combat at all. What was bad about it?

>>2778417
I found it semi-entertaining. It's basically a light hearted comedy dating sim mixed with an RPG. It's certainly not a great game, but it was a nice change of pace for a bit and I enjoyed my trip through it. The video game equivalent of a silly popcorn movie.
>>
>>2774603

People who do this are retarded mcfucks, without the game's music etc. you're missing a significant chunk of the experience. You're a fucking idiot.
>>
>>2779464
but what if that "significant chunk of the experience" is cringeworthy and borderline painful to listen to? what if the music and voice acting are both utter shit?

pretty sure the "fucking idiot" is you, anon. you need to go back to /v/ and work on improving your shitposting.
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.