[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I've got issues with my sega megadrive 1 output. Regardless

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 5

File: Sega.png (3MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Sega.png
3MB, 1920x1080px
I've got issues with my sega megadrive 1 output.
Regardless of running composite out, rf out or RGB out the picture is always distored with vertical lines. Is there a fix for this or is it time to bin my sega and try again?
>>
File: sega2.png (2MB, 1256x918px) Image search: [Google]
sega2.png
2MB, 1256x918px
Here is some more examples
>>
File: sega3.png (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
sega3.png
2MB, 1920x1080px
>>
File: sega4.png (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
sega4.png
1MB, 1920x1080px
>>
>>2771591
All of those are composite out. The distortion you speak of is because of the composite video quality (something about comb filtering, forgot the technical term).
>>
>>2771603
But these are all running from and RGB scart cable. It does it with the RF out as well. I thought it might be something wrong with the sega itself
>>
>>2771591
Are you using c-sync cables? I had a similar problem with a PAL Megadrive and i got rid of and got myself a region-modded Jap Megadrive
>>
>>2771605
>RGB Scart

Scart is capable of carrying several different signals including composite. A scart cable usually will fall back to composite if RGB isn't supported by the TV. There's also a chance the cable isn't wired for RGB in the first place in which case you probably won't get anything but composite out of it.
>>
Isn't this referred to as the jail bars effect?
Google that, I think it has something to do with old capacitors.
>>
>>2771605
>But these are all running from and RGB scart cable

SCART normally carries composite video and RGB video both. The voltage on one of the pins determines which one is actually used. That voltage is most likely not set, therefore your TV defaults to composite video.

>>2771620
The jailbar effect is a completely separate issue. Megadrive 1s have a problem in the video encoder, the colourburst will interfere with the blue video data in the video encoder, causing all blue colours to have vertical lines on them. Hence the "jail bars".

OP probably just bought the shittiest, cheapest scart cables from google which aren't wired properly.
>>
>>2771632
This is the cable i bought. It might be an issue wit hthe transcoder im using
>>
>>2771648
https://www.retrogamingcables.co.uk/games-consoles/sega/mega-drive-1/sega-mega-drive-1-sega-genesis-1-stereo-rgb-av-scart-cable-tv-lead?tracking=5543fb4c077bb

Forgot link
>>
>>2771650
How did you take all those pics OP? It's no use trying to get RGB from a device that only takes composite/s-video as a valid input.
>>
>>2771648
>It might be an issue wit hthe transcoder im using

Yeah, it's possible that your transcoder only supports composite, even through SCART input.

But it's also possible that it just does not read the RGB switch voltage fine.

What transcoder are you using?
>>
>>2771664
Screencaps from my PVR. It takes a hdmi in for recording and i pass through the signal to my tv via hdmi to composite. I know that the composite to the tv will always look rubbish but I'm only using that to see whats recording.
My main concern is getting the video signal as clean as possible into the PVR to record the stream.
>>
>>2771667
I bought a fairly cheap scart to hdmi converter off ebay. it was like $40 but now i'm thinking it's only converting the composite from the scart to hdmi.
>>
>>2771675
Then like >>2771667 said, it's entirely possibile your SCART to HDMI transcoder just plain doesn't support RGBs.
>>
>>2771679
Hopefully it's as simple as getting a better converter. I was worried I might need to start looking for a new sega.
>>
>>2771678
>I bought a fairly cheap scart to hdmi converter off ebay

Then it definitely does not support RGB.
>>
File: 2015-05-10 21.57.06.jpg (1MB, 1520x2688px) Image search: [Google]
2015-05-10 21.57.06.jpg
1MB, 1520x2688px
>>2771692
Any suggestions for one that does?
I'd like to start getting decent quality recordings for all of my games.
>>
>>2771694
show the model for starters
>>
I would love to recommend Framemeister, but only if you play your classic games on modern TV.

I wonder if RetroFreak is any good
>>
>>2771692
>>2771694
It probably does, but isn't wired properly internally to pass the RGB signal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WtWa3FZoZo0
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.