[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I get into Baldur's Gate/other D&D infinity engine

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 9

File: Baldur's_Gate_box.png (385KB, 407x494px) Image search: [Google]
Baldur's_Gate_box.png
385KB, 407x494px
How do I get into Baldur's Gate/other D&D infinity engine games? Best to dive in with little knowledge or should I read some builds first?
>>
>>2769401
>dive in with little knowledge

Why not.
It was my first RPG, i was 14 or 15 years old and i finished in two weeks without any problems. It's not like this is Wizardry IV.
You just need to read the descriptions, save & load and shoot arrows to everything.
>>
Read up some basics on how AD&D works with AC and saves and levels and spell slots and such before you start.
>>
>>2769806
This.
Don't look up specific builds but read the D&D of uses. If you don't know how a low armor class is better and things like it can be rough.
>>
Sounds like a plan. I read up on AD&D rules so now I think I'll get Enhanced Edition and go from there.
>>
>>2769894
Just pirate the orginal. Your money will not go to the original developers anyway if you buy EE.
>>
>>2769917
None of the money you spend on retro games goes to developers anyways.
>>
>>2769806
Someone similar one should do if he wants to start with Planescape Torment?
>>
>>2769968
something* duh
>>
Using this as a Baldurs Gate thread.

Any tips on the big fight with Saverok? My party lead is level 9 but the rest are 7-8 and I really don't feel like grinding. I beat Durlag's Tower and killed the demon but this fight seems like an abrupt jump in difficulty, I get rekt within seconds.
>>
File: 1445391826560.jpg (46KB, 500x379px) Image search: [Google]
1445391826560.jpg
46KB, 500x379px
>tfw there will never be a Baldur's Gate III
>>
>>2769401
Don't bother. RTwP is garbage system for garbage people. Try gold box games instead.
>>
>>2769401
Skip Baldurs Gate and just play BG2
Or just play Divinity OS
>>
I found icewind dale to be easier to learn than baldur's gate to be honest, for infinity engine games anyway.
>>
>>2770646
>tfw they can never fuck it up now
>>
>>2770668
Why divinity os and not pillars of eternity?
>>
>>2770764
it is
I played IWD before BG and it definitely did help
>>
>>2770023
>Give everyone bows and magical arrows
>Summon skeletons as meat shields
>Cast Haste, Bless and Chant
>>
>>2769824
>If you don't know how a low armor class is better and things like it can be rough.
Man does any one still use that system?
>>
>>2769968
Nah, combat isn't important in Torment.
You just need to know that int., wisdom and charisma allows more dialogue options and experience.
>>
File: cover6.jpg (353KB, 493x619px) Image search: [Google]
cover6.jpg
353KB, 493x619px
>>2770646
It's called Pillars of Eternity.
>>
>>2770023
Durlag's Tower boss was much harder than Sarevok.
Usually you can kite Sarevok with hasted character while others are shooting at him. I also recommend using debuffing/controlling spells like web, grease, fairy dust etc.
>>
>>2771134
>You just need to know that int., wisdom and charisma allows more dialogue options and experience.
This is a good advice for second playtrough.
The first one should be blind, so the second one would be more rewarding when one notices those new options and possibilites.
>>
>>2771209
That's actually what i did, with both Torment and Baldur's Gate.
And it's the best thing to do with any game except ones with gamebreaking bugs or really unintuitive mechanics.
But often people doesn't replay games like this.
>>
>>2769401
cheat by re rolling until you got god tier stats
>>
>>2771518
I wouldn't even say it's cheating, the game basically encourages it by letting you store rolls.
>>
>>2771053
Its a shame. After I learned it I really like it. Too often defense is simply put directly against attack making it no different than a higher health.
>>
>>2771053
Dark Spire on the DS did. I'm sure a few psp dungeon crawlers do as well.
>>
>>2770646
If the Enhanced Editions are any indicator of what Baldur's Gate III would've been, I think that's for the best.

>Imoen now voiced by Felicia Day
>lesbian romance with Aerie who is also now a half-dragon because reasons
>>
>>2771782
What the fuck, are you serious? I didn't play EE, because the reviews were mediocre at best, but that is fucking ridiculous. Please tell me you're trolling anon, please.
>>
>>2771969
That was a tongue-in-cheek projection of what BG3 would be, not what the Enhanced Edition is.
>>
>>2772096
Not that EE is much better but at least it's just the fanfiction "do not steal" added characters that are like that and the core game is still good, unlike BG3 if it was released in the current game climate.
>>
>>2772096
Thank fuck, man, thought I was gonna have a heart attack.
>>
>>2772256
Yeah, if BG3 ever was made it would probably be absolutely awful and not even close to 1 and 2, with all sorts of "half unicorn half elf" characters, romances being butchered with social justice bullshit and aghhh.
Stuff about it comes up from time to time, I distinctly remember an article about a BG game that would take place between 1 and 2. Which is bullshit, because I'm pretty sure the Bhaalspawn gets kidnapped by Irenicus like a day after defeating Sarevok.
I'll see if I can find it if anyone is interested.
>>
File: gamesthatwerent_bg3.jpg (104KB, 640x320px) Image search: [Google]
gamesthatwerent_bg3.jpg
104KB, 640x320px
>>2771782
>If the Enhanced Editions are any indicator of what Baldur's Gate III would've been

But it's not.
BG's III it would have been a pretty cool game, probably the best of the three. Because there was Black Isle involved, not Bioware.

> While the strategy of the gameplay would have been turn-based, Damien Foletto a developer on the game hoped to use elements from other games such as The Temple of Elemental Evil. The game was not to be turn-based because it would have had a significant production and marketing cost, requiring a wider audience base to be profitable. Many different types of weapons from the D&D Sourcebooks were supposed to be available to use in the game. Not all of the weapons were going to be available, but most of them would have been and the player would have been able to do "crazy" things with any weapon. As in Fallout 2, no single weapon would have been better than other weapons and each weapon would have had its own traits.

>The game was said to be truly non-linear, where the player has freedom to visit any location and perform any action they wanted, keeping in mind that there will always be repercussions for the player's actions in the game. Failed/incomplete quests would have had consequences as the game progressed. Unlike previous games, the player was able to switch between alignments depending on the actions in the game. This would have also required the player character to make difficult decisions which could affect his reputation with one group in order to maintain his reputation with another.
>>
File: bg3b.jpg (113KB, 640x320px) Image search: [Google]
bg3b.jpg
113KB, 640x320px
>>2773342
>There would have been several types of reputations in The Black Hound: Regional Reputation, Factional Reputation, Fame/Infamy, and Epithets. The first three all have positive and negative scales. Some characters may only care about positive reputation in an area, others might only care about negative reputation in an organization, and others might try to balance a number of reputations when they speak to the player. Regional Reputation is a positive/negative counter that depends on the actions the character performs in a specific region.

At least they used this idea for Pillars of Eternity.
>>
File: knowledgeonbirdlaw.png (522KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
knowledgeonbirdlaw.png
522KB, 640x480px
>>2769401
Best tip I can give is to g in like it's an actual D&D game you're playing. Take a while to actually think about what character you want to play as, get a personality in mind and actually role-play the game. The games are very good at proving a reasonably different experience for different playstyles. For instance my first playthrough was with a Neutral Good Bard, but am replaying right now as an evil Kensai/Mage, and the experience has been quite noticable different.

Also, don't get competitionist OCD with sidequest and stuff. The games have a LOT of content, more so when you start getting into expansions and mods, so it's very easy to get bogged down and give up like 10 hours into the game because you feel like you're just walking around killing things. Create you own little side adventures as you follow the main quest, but find a way to weave them into the main story, kind of like sideplot episodes in a long running tv series.

The rabbit hole goes deep with this game. If it weren't for all the copyright infringements I could probably write a fantasy book about the exploits of Nash the Bard in Baldur's Gate, that's the kind of game you're getting into here.
>>
File: Bgnovelcover.jpg (39KB, 270x453px) Image search: [Google]
Bgnovelcover.jpg
39KB, 270x453px
>>2775698
>If it weren't for all the copyright infringements I could probably write a fantasy book about the exploits of Nash the Bard in Baldur's Gate

Actually a guy did that years ago, i own two copies for some reason.
It was terrible.
>>
After the last patch EE is better since it fixed alot of longstanding bugs, especially engine bugs that mods couldn't fix.
>>
>>2777095
Such as?
>>
File: 427062_v1.jpg (45KB, 350x333px) Image search: [Google]
427062_v1.jpg
45KB, 350x333px
>>2775758
>cover your nose, boo
that's rather unnecessary.
>>
Help, the game keeps getting slow as hell. There's nothing to do about it in the options either.
>>
>>2779493
Try setting the ambient volume to zero.
>>
File: The-Hobbit-movie-dwarves.jpg (170KB, 900x600px) Image search: [Google]
The-Hobbit-movie-dwarves.jpg
170KB, 900x600px
>>2769401

Give your characters some backstory. You don't need to write anything, just be creative. Playing Icewind Dale now, I know the game is supposed to be just battle after battle and pretty tough, so I went with an all dwarf party. Gave them interesting names and they are nicknamed The Drum Beards. Now we're off to oldschool dungeon delving.
>>
>>2779578
This is pretty much it. It also lags badly if you are in multiplayer mode and have it enabled.

Also if you have mods installed, don't let trash fill up your inventory. The game wasn't designed to handle large amounts of items, and it regularly scans your inventory to see if you have a quest-related item at that moment. It worked fine for the original but adding in more items (especially bags) throws it straight into the grinder.
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.