[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do people complain about the lack of new Pokemon in gen 6

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 5

File: 802PokemonSmall.jpg (66KB, 320x331px) Image search: [Google]
802PokemonSmall.jpg
66KB, 320x331px
Why do people complain about the lack of new Pokemon in gen 6 and 7? It's not that different from some of the other generations.
Gen 1 = 151
Gen 2 = 100
Gen 3 = 135
Gen 4 = 107
Gen 5 = 156
Gen 6 = 100 in XY, another 20 were added in ORAS
Gen 7 = 99

And before you say "b-but mega evolutions and alola variants don't count", they do. They have different designs, different stats and they require their own space of memory in the game's code. As far as the game is concerned, the difference between Alolan-Sandshrew and normal Sandshrew is the same as the difference between Alolan-Sandshrew and Weavile. The only difference is that they don't have a separate Pokedex slot. Forms are a slightly different case, some of them can be considered new Pokemon since they have completely different stats and appearances (Shaymin, Giratina, etc.) while others are purely cosmetic (Unown, Spinda, etc.). I didn't bother adding forms to the count above so some gens have an even higher number of new Pokemon than the one I listed.

If you don't want to count either of those as new Pokemon because they're not "truly original", then you should ignore all the cross-gen evolutions that gen 2 and 4 added. And don't forget that gen 3 had a bunch of paired Pokemon with similar designs to showcase the double battle feature (Plusle/Minun, Volbeat/Illumise, Latias/Latios, etc.). And gen 5 created a bunch of second/third-stage evolutions for the sole reason of padding out their dex, as well as designing a number of Pokemon that were callbacks to older Pokemon (Machop -> Timburr, Woobat -> Zubat, Tauros -> Bouffalant, etc.)

Also I posted the version for ants because the full-size version is too large to post.
>>
I don't give a fuck about new Pokemons at this point, I would rather have extreme graphical and stats update for all mons in gen8 plus actual postgame
>>
you must be 18 years of age or older to post here
>>
File: file.png (3MB, 1795x1656px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
3MB, 1795x1656px
>>33524345
New pokémon = new dex number. Period.
>>
>>33525212

This.

"New Pokemon" doesn't mean "Alternate forms for Old Pokemon"

If it did, Deoxys Speed Form and Rotom's new forms would have counted as "New Pokemon" when they came out.
>>
>>33525212
That is actually incorrect according to Gamefreak. Not that we should fall for their marketing gimmicks, but still.
>>
>>33525212
If the copypaste monkeys count as 3 different lines, then Oricorio can count as 4 different pokemon.
>>
>>33525253
No, they're all Oricorio.
>>
>>33525212
>>33525244
>If it did, Deoxys Speed Form and Rotom's new forms would have counted as "New Pokemon" when they came out.
As far as the developers and the game itself are concerned, they are new Pokemon. Your arbritrary definitions are irrelevant.
>>
>>33525261

At NO point, and I mean literally NO POINT, did Gamefreak ever advertise Deoxys Speed form or Rotom's new forms as "New Pokemon." They never did that with Mega Pokemon or Alolan Pokemon either.

I'm not the one being arbitrary with this definition.
>>
File: 1480947855860.jpg (25KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
1480947855860.jpg
25KB, 480x360px
>>33525244
>>33525246
>>33525261
So I guess all 8,589,934,592 Spinda Patterns count as "new" Pokemon, then?
>>
File: you keep using that word.jpg (15KB, 500x277px) Image search: [Google]
you keep using that word.jpg
15KB, 500x277px
>>33525261
>op claims some alternate forms count as distinct pokemon while others don't, based purely on his own subjective opinions of how different they are from each other
>anon defines distinct pokemon by their species name and national dex number which are objectively definable characteristics of each pokemon
>anon is the one using arbitrary definitions and not op
>>
>>33525283
They consider Lycanroc Dusk form to be a new Pokemon, that's why they felt the need to advertise it as a major selling point for USUM.

>>33525293
Read the OP. Spinda's patterns are generated via its PID. They don't store a sprite of all 8 billion possible patterns.

>>33525320
If it takes up its own space in the game's code then it's a new Pokemon. You cannot get more objective than that.
>>
>>33525246
/vp/ knows more about pokemon than gamefreak.
>>
>>33525333
>They consider Lycanroc Dusk form to be a new Pokemon, that's why they felt the need to advertise it as a major selling point for USUM.
They CONSIDER it to be something new; it's not a "NEW" Pokemon. It's a new FORM.

they're only having it as a major selling point cause there's literally nothing else anyway and also because it's Lycanroc
>>
I don't personally consider Megas and Alolan forms to be new Pokemon (I go by the new dex number rule), but I understand and accept that Gamefreak does.

I know that sounds backwards, but I suppose while they're technically new Pokemon, I just don't really view them as such.
>>
>>33525362
The term "form" and "Pokemon" aren't mutually exclusive. Why should a form change be considered a new Pokemon when an evolution is not? It's still the same Pokemon, it just looks different and has different stats.
>>
>>33525380
*Why should an evolution be considered a new Pokemon when a form change is not?
>>
File: cosmug.png (60KB, 300x281px) Image search: [Google]
cosmug.png
60KB, 300x281px
>>33525333
>If it takes up its own space in the game's code then it's a new Pokemon. You cannot get more objective than that.

So you agree with all of the following statements then?

>male and female meowstic are two different pokemon
>torrent/protean greninja and battle bond greninja (before transforming) are two different pokemon
>aura break 10% zygarde and power construct 10% zygarde are two different pokemon
>aura break 50% zygarde and power construct 50% zygarde are two different pokemon
>minior's cores are seven different pokemon
>minior's cores with their shields up are seven more pokemon for a total of fourteen
>totems are different pokemon from their non-totem forms

And to think people were making such a fuss about us reaching 1000 Pokemon to quickly, apparently we're already at 1072.
>>
>>33525256
t. autism
>>
>>33525253
Sure, they CAN, but the thing is they DON'T.
>>
>>33525521
>Meowstic
Different Pokemon

>Greninja
>Zygarde
The only difference is the ability, which is a single attribute in the Pokemon's data. Although the different forms of Zygarde are different Pokemon and Ashninja is its own Pokemon.

>Minior
Core and Meteor forms are different Pokemon, the other is just a cosmetic difference. It's no different from a gender difference. No additional space is required other than the model, every other attribute of that Pokemon points to the same area of code.

>totem
Those utilise the same Pokemon data but just increase the size of the model. Then the game applies the same stat boost that an X item would. It doesn't take any additional space.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.